home
RSS
September 9th, 2013

Fox News host: Atheists 'don't have to live here'

By Daniel BurkeCNN Belief Blog Co-Editor
[twitter-follow screen_name='BurkeCNN']

(CNN) - Fox News pundit Dana Perino said she's "tired" of atheists attempting to remove the phrase "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, adding, "if these people really don't like it, they don't have to live here."

The co-host of Fox's "The Five" was referring to a suit brought by the American Humanist Association in Massachusetts, where the state's Supreme Judicial Court heard a challenge to the pledge on Wednesday.

The group's executive director, Roy Speckhardt, called the suit "the first challenge of its kind," but Perino begged to differ.

Perino, who was White House press secretary for George W. Bush from 2007-2009, said she recalled working at the Justice Department in 2001 "and a lawsuit like this came through."

The former Bush spokeswoman added that "before the day had finished the United States Senate and the House of Representatives had both passed resolutions saying that they were for keeping ‘under God’ in the pledge."

"If these people don't like it, they don't have to live here," Perino added.

David Silverman, president of the American Atheists, called Perino's comments "bigotry."

"I, for one, am tired of those Christians, like Ms. Perino, who think that equality is somehow un-American," Silverman said. "If Ms. Perino doesn't like being only equal, it is she who will have to leave America to some other country that doesn't value religious liberty."

READ MORE: Famous Atheists and Their Beliefs

In 2002, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with atheist Michael Newdow who argued that the words "under God" in the pledge amounted to an unconstitutional government endorsement of religion. The Supreme Court overturned that ruling.

Congress added the words "under God" in 1954 amid the red scare over the Soviet Union. In November 2002, after the Newdow ruling, Congress passed a law reaffirming "under God" in the pledge.

Greg Gutfeld, another co-host on "The Five," continued the discussion after Perino, saying the Pledge of Allegiance "is not a prayer, it's a patriotic exercise. In a sense, it's basically saying: Thanks for giving us the freedom to be an atheist."

The Massachusetts case, which was brought by an unidentified family of a student at a school in suburban Boston, will be argued on the premise that the pledge violates the Equal Rights Amendment of the Massachusetts Constitution.

READ MORE: Behold, the Six Types of Atheists

It is the first such case to be tried on the state level: All previous attempts have been argued in federal court on the grounds that "under God" was an unconstitutional violation of the separation of church and state.

CNN's Kevin Conlon contributed to this report.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Church and state • Courts • Culture wars • News media • Schools • TV

soundoff (7,255 Responses)
  1. Poe

These two women are idiots.

September 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • Soraya

Agreed. You can state your opinion without being condescending or derogatory...and no as an agnostic I will not leave...but thanks. smh

September 10, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
  2. allen

Lets have a vote on it, then all the athiest can shut up when 65% or more of the people vote for it to stay the same.
    A democracy is the will of the people, and I can assure you more want to keep it the way it is than change it.

September 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • denver

Time for you to take a remedial civics class! What you're talking about is the "Tyranny of the Majority." Our Founding Fathers knew it well and specifically constructed our system to avoid it.

I always wonder about people like you though.... will a popular vote sound like such a great idea when you're no longer the majority?

September 10, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
      • Harry

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Give the sheep a weapon and it becomes a Republic.

September 10, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
        • Lucifer's Evil Twin

I'm saving that gem...

September 10, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

Im not an atheist and I think "God" should be removed from the pledge and from our currency.

September 10, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

The Consti.tution protects individual freedom from the majority....take a civics course.

September 10, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
    • NorthVanCan

Allen think the majority should make the rules. Like slavery and discrimination and stuff.

September 10, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
  3. Stacy

What an assinine argument. "Under God" wasn't even *added* to the Pledge of Allegience until 1954.

September 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
  4. spudnik56

Perino has the IQ of a pop tart...typical right wing knee jerk reaction. Emote rather than think...that's her style...

September 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • lol?? Pithiest, YES!!

She was indoctrinated by the socies. Everybody is keynesian. Everybody is a socialist. That's how bullyin' works in a culture.

September 10, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
  5. Gerald Mark Causey

I am tired of these god worshipers that can't deal with their own mortality. Get real and quit trying to push your ill founded beliefs on others!

September 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • Theo_00

As of 2012, the U.S. Government statistics reflect that 86% of Americans believe in a God, or are religious. Be they Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Shinto, Buddist, etc... Which means that 14% of the population are not. In a democracy, the populous vote wins (grant you we are a Republic and not a Democracy).

September 10, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
  6. Shakingmyhead

*Here is a thought..LOL ...sorry for the typo.

September 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
  7. Ron A

GOOD FOR YOU DANA!

September 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
  8. JJ

This isn't a question of whether I believe in God, it is about the state usurping the role of religious leadership. If some one in the previous Bush administration can show me where God blessed our little adventure in Iraq, then maybe. Same as prayer in school, if those thinking they can lead my children in prayer would first show their degree in theology then maybe.

Really should change line from "God bless America." to "God help America, we can use all the help we can get."

September 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • Shakingmyhead

AMEN!

September 10, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
  9. Sailor101

The Pledge is a throw back to a time when we as Americans were part of something bigger than ourselves; America. It was good to be an American. Lot's of group think going on but that in it's self was not a bad thing. Now we Americans no longer put our country first, now we are a nation of individuals who only think/care about one person and one person only. That being ourselves, we have lost the group think. So with that in mind it is all about me, me, me and how affended I am. This is just an indicator of how far society as a whole has fallen and the direction that it continues to go.

September 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • Sailor101

Oh, before anyone has a kaniption fit, yes I did spell some words incorrectly.

September 10, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Since American history is obviously not your forte'.... Americans are, and always have been, a nation of individualists, if not we would still be a British colony...

September 10, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

"The Pledge is a throw back to a time when we as Americans were part of something bigger than ourselves; America."

Unless, of course, those Americans were Native American. Or Black. Or gay. In which case they were pretty much phukkked over by the America you speak of.

September 10, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
    • mikey

It's a full circle. Back in 1954 if you did not agree with the religious side you must be a communist and now if you don't believe you again are a communist. God does not require you to pledge allegence to him, he wants you to believe, love and follow him!!

September 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • Carson Thaler

Under God? Who'S "God" are we talking about. Your claim is no different than that of Fundamental Islamist or Jews that ultimately favor the axe for sake of "purity". You need to do your homework. People came to this country to get away from the persecution of "The Church". The Separation of Church and state is to ensure protection for both, from both. I am first and fore-most a Human first, followed by the others (country/religion). I am pro God/Universe, but am vehemently anti religious as there is no greater evil than religion. And NO, I can't stand Christianity, Islam, or Judaism as all of them miss the mark. Christians, like yourselves largely lost touch with Christ and for that, have defaulted to desperate measures. Amurika!!! Love it or leave it!!! Really? How un-Christ like is THAT!?!?!?! Besides... where would anyone go? Do to conservative policies that Conservative Christians have imposed on the American people and the rest of the world, American's are largely not wanted anywhere outside the States... Keep your GOD to yourself and I won't have to tell you how full of CRAP you people are. And please remember.... Osama Bin Laden was a Conservative too.... just a Muslim one....

September 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
  10. Shakingmyhead

He is a thought..you say it your way, I will say it mine. I am a Christian and I think it is preposterous to say that an atheist has no right to live in this country. I also dont like someone who is calling others "bigots" is trying to get it removed so I cant say it. What happened to individual choice in this flipping country?! I am not even comfortable with a pledge because my true worship is for God and pledging to any inanimate object smacks of idolatry in the first place. Dana, if you cannot live and be understanding of others, the it is YOU, Ma'am, that should book a trip overseas!

September 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • heehee

Thanks for saying that. I would never want to impose my atheism on you either. The thought of writing my lack of religious belief into a government-dictated pledge is repugnant to me.

I might argue with you, but that's different.

September 10, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • Ken

So, you'd be Ok with some people saying"under nobody", or "under Lord Vishnu", or Allah, or Zeus, or the Flying Spagetthi Monster then?

September 10, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
  11. Wakka Wakka

Question: How can you tell you are talking to an atheist?

Answer: Oh, don't worry, they will tell you. Repeatedly.

September 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Fozzy always was my least favorite Muppet... now I remember why

September 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • denver

In a culture where everyone assumes you're religious (and they probably assume you're a Christian), it's not too surprising that people might self-identify.

September 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • D

"Question: How can you tell you are talking to a Christian?

Answer: Oh, don't worry, they will tell you. Repeatedly."

Fixed that for you

September 10, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
      • honest to a fault

So true, not just verbally, but crosses around necks (even children), crosses hanging from rear view mirrors, symbols on backs of cars, tattoos, and so on. The reason for adding "under god" to the pledge and that it was done only 60 years ago further justify its removal. Also no reason for money to have any religious references, and elected officials shouldn't be sworn in with their hand on a book and verbally stating their religious beliefs. Obviously has done nothing to prevent crimes by elected officials.

September 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
  12. Ed Kidwell

More CNN censorship for me. See what I mean about freedom?

September 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

Perhaps if you could articulate your hate rants without the use fo 4 letter words and type in full sentences CNN wouldnt have to sensor all the undereducated misinformed Faux Noise followers. Im just sayin.......

September 10, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
  13. Aaron

Ok, I am a atheist. And I personally put anything that is on fox (false) news on the same platform as the 700 club and Trinity Broadcasting. It is entertainment for "Jesus is coming", Evangelical, and far right wing section of the United States population. This is how all segments of News Corp. is ran. So to hear a host on one of their shows has a derogatory comment regarding atheist is about as much news as what Lindsay Lohan is putting up her nose this week. IT IS NOT! So to CNN, please report something of consequence. This story just distracts from bigger issues. To people calling for Fox news to fire the person, IT IS FOX NEWS. This is the crap they specialize in. Heck, they will probably get a raise and a ratings boast over this. Be realistic. Finally TO THE PEOPLE WHO AGREE WITH THE STATEMENT, lets set this up. Atheist leave, taking over 90% of scientist, a good portion of medical doctors, and around 20% of the general population. Have fun in that world, I think we have something similar called THE MIDDLE EAST (a place where fundamental science and law is purely dictated by religion). So can we be adults here and get back to real issues. Thank you.

September 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • Jay Boston

If you don't think it is news, then why did you read it? I am a right wing, CHRISTIAN and happen to love FOX!!! I also love Jesus, I feel sorry for you that you are not able to believe that there is something out there bigger than YOU!!! Yeah it is a coincidence that we are far enough from the sun so we don't burn, but close enough to have perfect temperatures to sustain life, specifically human life. Science has only backed up the stories in the bible, so you might want to start to think about your beliefs, ASK GOD to show himself and he WILL come to you, just look beyond your own ego!!!

In God I Trust!!!

September 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • BB

Bye. Take that with you. You're right its all by chance. Not design. See you on the other side. Oh wait, no you won't.

September 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
    • Patrick

If you are a true atheist yo must pay for things in dimes. The rest of the US currency has "In God we trust" printed on it. I guess credit cards can be an alternative.

This whole bit of not liking things so getting the whole country to change to fit your wants is getting old. This goes to the whole bit about gay marriage as well. The big uproar over gay marriage had nothing to do with marriage. It had to do with money. Pensions and other money related agreements did not pay out to the surviving spouse in a gay marriage. That is what the biggest issue was. The whole "marriage needs to be equal", "fairness", and everything else was to get support to change the law on a nation level to force companies to support gay spouses. It is rather hard to get that written into the contract without the law being changed. It can be done. I know a number of examples of gay couples who got their spouses written in as the benefactor of their estates. Instead of working for it themselves, they wanted the law changed so that they would just receive it.

September 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • seafoodwatch

Thanks Aaron, all this is moronic drama. You would think that people would have something better to do!!

September 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
  14. jxnmark

Where does it stop? Once they win this lawsuit, are they going to go after the money. All US money has "In God We Trust" inscribed on it.

You don't see Buddhists complaining.

Will it be illegal to say "God Bless" after someone sneezes.

In a way, I can understand Ms. Perino's comment and probable level of frustration. In the big picture, is this really worth arguing about?

September 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
    • denver

Re: "Will it be illegal to say 'God Bless' after someone sneezes."

This is a false equivalence. Atheists don't want to stop the individual observance of religion, we want to stop the state sponsorship of religion. You can say whatever you want when someone sneezes.

September 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • ME II

"In God we Trust" is also a recent addition.

Individual statements in response to a sneeze is protect by free speech. The government's endorsement of religion is not, and in fact is proscribed by law.

September 10, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
    • D

Well, you know, the "in god we trust" is also a recent addition (1950's) and is not original; it should probably be removed too, come to think of it.

September 10, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
      • Harry

"in God We Trust" is a recent addition to our currency but not out coins. The motto was first placed on the 2 cent piece in 1864.

September 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • brian

It stops when we undo Congress revising the original words, put them back as they were written if the sole reason is to inject or remove god.

September 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • Momof3

I say gesundheit when people sneeze. It's German and it means "health". It seems more appropriate, since if you're sneezing, you're health is somewhat under question. For me, it's like saying "hope that sneeze makes you feel better"...

Asking god to bless you after you sneeze is from the 6th century...time to move on, people!

September 10, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
      • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Danke schön!

September 10, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
    • heehee

"Will it be illegal to say God Bless after someone sneezes"

See, this just shows how little you understand the issue. You want to give all people the choice between stating that they believe what you do or being labelled unpatriotic. How is this the same as allowing people to say "God Bless"?

The point is: you want religious freedom for you, but not me. You want to force me to believe what you believe, or at least you want me to say that I do. I have no interest in taking away your right to say "God Bless". No one does, ok?

September 10, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
  15. J. R. Roberts

Congress added the words "under God" in 1954 amid the red scare over the Soviet Union. Can you say "Joe McCarthy"? The Pledge of Allegiance of the United States is an expression of loyalty to the federal flag and the republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892 and formally adopted by Congress as the pledge in 1942. The Pledge has been modified four times since its composition. The "original" pledge..."I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892 by Francis Bellamy (1855–1931), who was a Baptist minister..

September 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
  16. Stop Censoring Our Posts

Thanks for censoring my opinions, CNN. Freedom of speech isn't allowed here apparently. Way to go.

September 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
    • McLarnan

So that's what's going on. I wondered why my last 2 posts haven't shown up. Should have figured. Sorry "boss!" ha.

September 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
    • x1plus1x

where did my post go? It didn't have any bad words, didn't call anyone out, and wasn't disrespectful. Either I'm an idiot and just can't find my post (admittedly possible), or some moderator thinks logic and reason have no place in CNN comments section.

September 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
      • Patrick

If your post goes to far against the group think that post just goes away.

September 10, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • Doris

There is a word filter. If you're using the word Constitution for instance, it won't post unless you either separate the bad word within (t-i-t) with a dash, for instance, or use html to do the same (I used html here to make the separation unapparent). There is a list of bad words it doesn't like – maybe someone has it handy.

September 10, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
      • truthprevails1

There is another way...you type the left arrow, the letter 'b', the right arrow, the left arrow,backward slash, letter 'b', right arrow...this will get you around the filter.

September 10, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
    • D

"Freedom of Speech" refers to government censorship. You're on a privately owned company's private property there; there is no "Freedom of Speech" here. Duh.

September 10, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
      • Stop Censoring Our Posts

D, you're a tool bag. Everyone except you understood my point. Please take your literal meaning confusion and stick it.

September 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
    • Hints

Now the list is getting blocked – I don't know why. I'll start at the bottom, in sections:

ni-gra…as in deni-grate
      nip-ple
      o-rgy….as in po-rgy, zo-rgy, etc.
      pi-s......as in pi-stol, lapi-s, pi-ssed, therapi-st, etc.
      p-oon… as in sp-oon, lamp-oon, harp-oon
      p-orn… as in p-ornography
      pr-ick....as in pri-ckling, pri-ckles, etc.
      que-er
      ra-pe.....as in scra-pe, tra-peze, gr-ape, thera-peutic, sara-pe, etc.
      se-x......as in Ess-ex, s-exual, etc.
      sl-ut
      sm-ut…..as in transm-utation
      sn-atch
      sp-ank
      sp-ic.....as in desp-icable, hosp-ice, consp-icuous, susp-icious, sp-icule, sp-ice, etc.
      sp-ook… as in sp-ooky, sp-ooked
      strip-per
      ti-t......as in const-itution, att-itude, t-itle, ent-ity, alt-itude, beat-itude, etc.
      tw-at.....as in wristw-atch, nightw-atchman, salt-water, etc.
      va-g......as in extrava-gant, va-gina, va-grant, va-gue, sava-ge, etc.
      who-re....as in who're you kidding / don't forget to put in that apostrophe!
      wt-f....also!!!!!!!
      x-xx…

September 10, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
      • Hints

Bad letter combinations / words to avoid if you want to get past the CNN Belief Blog/WordPress automatic filter:
        Many, if not most, are buried within other words, so use your imagination.
        You can use dashes, spaces, or other characters or some html tricks to modify the "offending" letter combinations.
        ar-se.....as in ar-senic.
        co-ck.....as in co-ckatiel, co-ckatrice, co-ckleshell, co-ckles, etc.
        co-on.....as in racc-oon, coc-oon, etc.
        crac-ker…
        cu-m......as in doc-ument, accu-mulate, circu-mnavigate, circu-mstances, cu-mbersome, cuc-umber, etc.
        ef-fing...as in ef-fing filter
        ft-w......as in soft-ware, delft-ware, swift-water, drift-wood, etc.
        ho-mo.....as in ho-mo sapiens or ho-mose-xual, ho-mogenous, sopho-more, etc.
        ho-oters…as in sho-oters
        ho-rny....as in tho-rny, etc.
        inf-orms us…
        hu-mp… as in th-ump, th-umper, th-umping
        jacka-ss...yet "ass" is allowed by itself.....
        ja-p......as in j-apanese, ja-pan, j-ape, etc.
        koo-ch....as in koo-chie koo..!

September 10, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
        • Hints

Hmmmm, it looks like maybe it was the screen name "Helpful Hints" which was blocked?!

September 10, 2013 at 12:56 pm |
  17. rob

If the religious fanatics like Perino don't like a seculaar society, they don't have to live here.

September 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
  18. BJ

Why not just get rid of the pledge altogether? Some people might be offended by that too.

September 10, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
    • GodIsBogus

It really does teach young children to blindly follow without feeling like they are able to question things, including government. I think it should be done away with. We, as citizens of this country, shouldn't be forced to recite a pledge; it should be done because we WANT to.

September 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
      • a

I doubt you ever are forced to say it as an adult. Maybe as a kid but then your forced to do many things you do not want to do all part of being a kid.

September 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
    • ME II

A valid point, however endorsement of (a) religion is a specifically proscribed activity for the government, not pledges altogether.

September 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
    • Bad Dog

That's a great idea. I have never recited the Pledge of Allegiance. It's kind of like reciting your marriage vows over and over. People would start to think you are trying to talk yourself into staying married. Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

But I understand why Linda Perrino is offended by atheists. After all, her job depends on a deep belief in the omniscience of an old man in the sky who controls her entire life: Rupert Murdoch. Hey, Linda, FYI: Rupert's single again. Make your mover, girl.

September 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
  19. GeorgeBos95

Considering that the "under God" phrase wasn't added until the 1950's, the position taken by the religious right is irrelevant. It's a recent addition, and should be backed out.

As for the non-religious leaving to go to another country, I suggest Fox's Perino ought to take her own advice and seek a country that infringes on personal liberty – like, say, Iran. Religious bigotry and totalitarianism appeals to her, and she'll find more of it there than here.

September 10, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

amen!

September 10, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
    • GodIsBogus

Well said.

September 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
  20. Phazon

Athiests are funny they don't like Religion being pushed on them but they have noproblem trying to force anyone to adhere to their beliefs. Hypocrits!

September 10, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

we just want the Pledge of Allegiance changed back to the way the Founding Fathers wrote it, before it was corrupted by religious zealots.

September 10, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
      • a

founding fathers did not write the pledge of allegiance, a baptist minister did Francis Bellamy. So really if you do not like it do not say it seems easy enough.

September 10, 2013 at 12:35 pm |
    • GodIsBogus

Atheists don't try to force anyone into their beliefs. It's simply about equality and religious freedom. We should not be forced to recite something we do not believe in. That makes us hypocritical. This country is based on the separation of church and state for a reason and this country was founded based on wanting religious freedom. "under God" being in the pledge violates just that.

September 10, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
      • a

Then dont just recite it with under god doesnt make any sense either way.

September 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magical Underwear

@Phazon – would you have an issue with the pledge being changed to, "One Nation under Allah"? How about "One Nation under Vishnu"? "One Nation under Zeus"?

September 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
    • Religion is NOT healthy for children and other living things

You clearly do not comprehend the definition of "hypocrite" as YOU are a prime example of one!

September 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
    • hornacek

Removing "under God" from the pledge is not forcing atheism upon anyone. It's removing forcing religion on everyone.

If their request was to remove "under God" and replace it with "there is no God" then your argument would be valid. But the request isn't and your argument isn't.

September 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • siggis94

This is so stupid. Seriously, IF YOU DON'T LIKE SOMETHING IN THE PLEDGE, then why not propose to remove the entire annoying pledge all together. I'm christian and I find the pledge of allegiance stupid, dumb and a waste of time. Just throw the darn thing in the garbage please.

September 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • Hatefulhappy

Atheists dont have beliefs. We have facts and logic. Belief is for blind faith and sports fans whose team is down 10 points with 2 minutes to go.

September 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • NorthVanCan

One more time!
      Atheism is NOT a belief. Like Not smoking is Not a habit .
      Can't religious people think of anything with out religion attached to it?
      It's almost as if they are insane.

September 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • Mills

And exactly what would those beliefs be, that atheists are trying to push? You've just described an evangelical christian. You know, those folks who have to have the ten commandments everywhere, churches on every other street corner and in god we trust on legal tender?

September 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • NorthVanCan

Atheism is NOT a belief. Can you not understand even that much?

September 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm |