home
RSS
September 9th, 2013

Fox News host: Atheists 'don't have to live here'

By Daniel BurkeCNN Belief Blog Co-Editor
[twitter-follow screen_name='BurkeCNN']

(CNN) - Fox News pundit Dana Perino said she's "tired" of atheists attempting to remove the phrase "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, adding, "if these people really don't like it, they don't have to live here."

The co-host of Fox's "The Five" was referring to a suit brought by the American Humanist Association in Massachusetts, where the state's Supreme Judicial Court heard a challenge to the pledge on Wednesday.

The group's executive director, Roy Speckhardt, called the suit "the first challenge of its kind," but Perino begged to differ.

Perino, who was White House press secretary for George W. Bush from 2007-2009, said she recalled working at the Justice Department in 2001 "and a lawsuit like this came through."

The former Bush spokeswoman added that "before the day had finished the United States Senate and the House of Representatives had both passed resolutions saying that they were for keeping ‘under God’ in the pledge."

"If these people don't like it, they don't have to live here," Perino added.

David Silverman, president of the American Atheists, called Perino's comments "bigotry."

"I, for one, am tired of those Christians, like Ms. Perino, who think that equality is somehow un-American," Silverman said. "If Ms. Perino doesn't like being only equal, it is she who will have to leave America to some other country that doesn't value religious liberty."

READ MORE: Famous Atheists and Their Beliefs

In 2002, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with atheist Michael Newdow who argued that the words "under God" in the pledge amounted to an unconstitutional government endorsement of religion. The Supreme Court overturned that ruling.

Congress added the words "under God" in 1954 amid the red scare over the Soviet Union. In November 2002, after the Newdow ruling, Congress passed a law reaffirming "under God" in the pledge.

Greg Gutfeld, another co-host on "The Five," continued the discussion after Perino, saying the Pledge of Allegiance "is not a prayer, it's a patriotic exercise. In a sense, it's basically saying: Thanks for giving us the freedom to be an atheist."

The Massachusetts case, which was brought by an unidentified family of a student at a school in suburban Boston, will be argued on the premise that the pledge violates the Equal Rights Amendment of the Massachusetts Constitution.

READ MORE: Behold, the Six Types of Atheists

It is the first such case to be tried on the state level: All previous attempts have been argued in federal court on the grounds that "under God" was an unconstitutional violation of the separation of church and state.

CNN's Kevin Conlon contributed to this report.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Church and state • Courts • Culture wars • News media • Schools • TV

soundoff (7,255 Responses)
  1. Bo

So basically, a Fox pundit said something as stupid as the typical fundy troll that lurks these blogs day and night. Is it any surprise? I mean it is Fox News after all.

September 10, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  2. Bible Clown©

"there is nothin' more enjoyable than watching a racist twist and squirm and cry about the 'evil' black man in office."

This deserves to be engraved in deathless bronze and posted above the door of Congress.

September 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm |
  3. top triffid

Um, it's Faux News, people: Get a grip. It's not as if they're connected to reality with a tight tether.

September 10, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
    • Elbonian

But I think you do have to admit that Perino's comment sounds a lot like a KKK member claiming that blacks don't have to live here in the USA.

September 10, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
    • dina

Yeah, but this dingbat was white house press secretary. I love how the right always thinks this is "their country"... as in "we need to take our country back.", or "If they don't like it, they can move to another country", or "we're the TRUE patriots". Amazingly delusional.

September 10, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
      • QS

My response to those who keep yelling about wanting to "take my country back", is "Too bad, you can't have it back because we've seen what you do with it!"

September 10, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
        • doobzz

Saying "It's not really yours. You stole it from the indigenous people through systematic genocide" works well too.

Sometimes they look confused and ask what indigenous and genocide means. Then I just laugh.

September 10, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
  4. chuckie

If you don't like it, leave is a hackneyed, ignorant statement. What, only gun control advocates and anti-abortion protestors are allowed to express their opinion. The First Amendment’s protection of free speech is as sacred as the Second’s protection of the bearing and storing of firearms. Love it or leave it and all variations on the theme are the expression of someone who has run out of relevant defenses fo their argument. One expects more from a former presidential press secretary.

September 10, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • dina

well yes, it was an ignorant statement. And everyone has the right to free speech. But as former WH press secretary and now working for a national "News" organization, she has a responsibility to be... less stupid.

September 10, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
  5. duane - st.pete FL

well, I am an atheist and a very fiscal conservative. I don’t care who marry's who as far as the gay debate goes and I'm all for choice when it comes to abortions (although I think they are awful, but that's MY opinion). I do feel the religious right is to extreme and I do believe in the complete separation of church (whatever religion) as well as making weed legal......oh, and I own some guns and am a firm believer in the right to arm myself and defend myself. Don’t like big government and handouts, and don’t like the government taking most of my hard earned money .....so what party do belong to? No one party speaks for me.......don’t care about the pelage.....we have much to worry about besides this stuff.....

September 10, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
    • tom

If you find a party that represents you I'd like to know.

September 10, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
      • Chris

That would be the Libertarian party. Obviously a person doesn't always fit in 100% with a political party's platform, but from their description, that's the party that seems to be the best fit for him/her.

September 10, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • Dippy

It's marries, not marry's. Basic punctuation, duane. It can make you look smart or stupid. Guess which one you look like.

September 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
      • Bible Clown©

Dip, St Pete is full of retired people. The guy's probably squinting through a pair of tri-focals and doesn't spend all day typing on a phone like you do.

September 10, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
      • Bak@cha

Well Dippy, it's Duane with a capital D, proper noun you know? I think you just proved which one you spell like. 🙂

September 10, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
        • Dippy

He doesn't capitalize it so I don't. I assume that's how he wants it. What would you do?

September 11, 2013 at 12:51 am |
    • shadowfired

I think you are like most americans who dont fit the mold of types the biased media would have us all believe we belong in.
      I am agnostic, fiscally conservative and watching in horror as our rights to our bodies and our property are being slowly but surely eliminated. The TSA needs to be disbanded and fired.

September 10, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
  6. Bible Clown©

The really problematic thing to me is that once again, a "Christian" is the one to enthusiastically propose something unChristian, and other Christians are eager to find victims to persecute. Admit it, you don't really believe this stuff or even agree with it. You don't turn the other cheek, you stand your ground and shoot. You don't love your fellow man, because that's "gay." Christianity is like a frat to most of you, not a hope of approaching God and being found worthy.

September 10, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
    • steelerguin

You make some good points but far too much stereotyping for me. As a Christian, I don't agree with what Dana Perino said. You are also correct that a lot of Christians, dare I say 100% of them, act very un-Christ like at times. The bible states all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. That is why we, imperfect people, need a savior and believe Jesus is our savior. You have free will to not believe. It does not make you a lesser person in my eyes. Unfortunately, there are people on both sides of the argument that spew hate and intolerance.

September 10, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
  7. Lionly Lamb

Bill Maher on Islam (again), Benghazi and Homosexuality

September 10, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
    • Frank

Someone needs to remind that liberal why we have been occupying countries in the middle east. He was about 12 when 911 happened and forgot about his COUNTRY BEING ATTACKED! We are in the middle east RETALIATING against an act of war on NEW YORK CITY FROM MUSLIMS!! Attacking us for THEIR GOD!

September 10, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
  8. Lionly Lamb

Is Islam a peaceful religion? Bill Maher weighs in.

September 10, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
    • What is going on? FREEDOM

Why don't you take your hatred over to Fox News.

September 10, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
    • sly

Allah Ackbar God is Great.

And yes, we get 79 virgins when we die. Think about it dufus – there must be millions of gorgeous virgin teenage chicks up in heaven. No laws. No wives. No NFL.

Yes, Allah AckBar, God is Great.

I will eclipse Wilt the Stilts famous 10000 record in a month.

Now ... what were you babbling about how your God can kick their God's ass? You sound rather like a buffoon.

September 10, 2013 at 4:22 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

Why does Bill Maher's opinion matter? He's a comedian, and frequently wrong about all kind of things. He's got more opinions than Carter has little liver pills. Good for a laugh, but no more. Oh wait, you think he's our Limbaugh and his word is law which must be proposed as legislation? Sorry, no.

September 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
  9. Richard T.

There truly is an "American Taliban." They are centered in religios bogotry and at Faux News. Like all of the tea party and libertarians and right wing religious zealots, these good christians just want everything and everyone to bow down to their beliefs.

September 10, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
    • tom

Libertarians are not religious zealots.

September 10, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
      • Bible Clown©

I've given up on the Libertarians since L. Ron Paul has apparently hypnotized them all into following him. Half of them lost their shirts by following Glenn Beck's advice to sell everything and invest in gold(when the price got high enough, big banks sold their gold, and now the market is glutted and gold is cheap) and the other half have gone gun-happy along with the NRA. Bottom line: the GOP owns them and rents them out for parties.

September 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
    • steelerguin

Richard, the vitriol in your comment suggests you want everyone to bow down to your beliefs. What's the difference?

September 10, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
    • TC

Libertarians? Do you even know what a libertarian is? The point of this article is that fox news analysts are nutjobs. A real Christian upholds equality and liberty for ALL.

September 10, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
  10. JohnJacobJingleheimerSchmidt

It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve, am I right?! Two pieces of liver and some hair might feel good, but it ain't natural. This is a Xtian nation, ya heard me?

September 10, 2013 at 4:14 pm |
    • Aletheya

So, you're citing a fairy tale as your authoritative source? And no, this is a free, secular nation, not a "Xtian" (whatever that is) nation. Our founders were wise enough to give you the freedom to worship, or not, as you choose. Not to shove it down everyone else's throat. Nice "xtian" values.

September 10, 2013 at 4:21 pm |
    • sly

"Adam and Eve"?

Seriously? The apple? The box of sins? The little red man with horns running around in the center of the earth? Some wacked out long-haired hippie with holes in his hands who can walk on water?

Most ridiculous – why the fck would I want to admire a fool who 'died for my sins'? The moron was on drugs. No one should die for some other idiot's mistakes. And THATS your idol? Pathetic. I'd sooner worship Mike Tyson.

September 10, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
      • Bible Clown©

Show me a talking snake and we can go further with this. No talking snake? It's a fairy tale. We're done.

September 10, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • doobzz

"It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve, am I right?! "

No, you are not, troll.

September 10, 2013 at 4:34 pm |
      • Bible Clown©

I know several guys named Steve who will tell you that they are not gay, feel that God did indeed create them, and will break your index finger for telling that joke around them.

September 10, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
  11. LarryLSmith

Go back to the original! Religious zealots are so annoying.

September 10, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
    • steelerguin

You are partially correct. Actually, all zealots are annoying including the non religious ones too.

September 10, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
      • Bible Clown©

Religious ones end up saying "The God voices in my head tell me to kill you!" a lot sooner.

September 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
        • QS

HA! 🙂

September 10, 2013 at 4:52 pm |
  12. Momeraths

Christians keep saying that keeping God isn't a big deal because people can choose to ignore the word.
    If it doesn't matter, then why is it so important that it stays?

Neutrality by definition is not offensive. If you take out "Under God" it fits for everyone. What's the problem? No one is promoting Allah, Buddha or Jeff the God of biscuits.

See, here is the thing: I probably live next t you. I pay my taxes, mow my yard, keep my house maintained, love my children, have barbecues, go to baseball games, give to charities, help out my neighbors, etc... I am sure many people would love to have me as a neighbor.
    My secret: I'm an atheist. I don't make a big stink about it because my personal beliefs are private, as most should be.
    I pay school taxes and my kids deserve to grow in a neutral environment to figure out their beliefs. I want them to choose what works for them. You conservatives know all about peer pressure. Let the kids learn facts, figures and formulas in school.
    Keep churches for educating the soul.

September 10, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • Humble_hearted

I really love what you said. I didn't have to say the pledge growing up in school (for whatever reason I don't care). My parents nor my schools never forced God on me. I love that you have decided to give your children free range to believe whatever. I do have a question though. How WOULD you handle a conversation with your children if they WANTED to believe in God? More so on the spiritual level vs. the biblically correct level?

September 10, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
      • Momeraths

I have read the Bible, and can answer some questions. I've read about Buddhism and Islam, also. I can answer the basics on any religion, but if I run into things I don't know, we can look it up or go visit someone of that faith.

I'm fortunate to live close to just about any religious place of worship you can imagine.

September 10, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
        • Humble_hearted

That's awesome! I am a believer, and I love my faith for it's personal effect on my life. I think it's wonderful that you have chosen to open your mind for your children. I believe this conversation is radical because both parties have valid points and I just don't like the aggressive approach of either sides. I want to thank you for your comment and for answering my question.

September 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
      • Momeraths

Thank you Humble Hearted!

I probably should have mentioned that while I am not a believer, I do have many friends who are. I live in Texas, so being an atheist here requires a certain amount of understanding on both parts. When my softball team plays, we have one team that wants everyone to pray after the game. I politley decline every time. I'm usually the only one.

Not a big deal for a grwon man, but I can see how a 12-year-old could be influenced by that type of pressure.
        And, I do see the value of religion. Some take it too far, but that's true of everything.

I appreciate you being so civil. It's so rare these days, sadly. Now, if you are Yankees fan, we'll have a problem 🙂

September 10, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
    • Just the Facts Ma'am...

"Neutrality by definition is not offensive." Sadly this is not how Christians or Muslims view their war with the rest of the world. To them if you are sitting on the fence then you are an architect of Satan deserving of their wrath. They cannot abide just keeping to themselves and worshiping privately. Their faiths demand they push it in your face as they try to force you off the fence.

September 10, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
      • Bible Clown©

Muslims who live here for a while either freak out and leave or realize we have the best way in the world for competing religions to get along. Christians are about the same.

September 10, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
      • Momeraths

I agree with you on that. I usually try to show where I'm coming from.

I try to explain that if you come over to my house for a party, you probably wouldn't nail a cross on my wall or try to say a prayer before we eat. Just common courtesy, right?

Well, that's what my taxes pay for, public buildings and common courtesy says we keep it neutral. I'd fight for Christians if Muslims became the majority and wanted allah everywhere, too.

September 10, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
    • Jeff, the God of Biscuits

I agree wholeheartedly.

September 10, 2013 at 4:30 pm |
      • Momeraths

Ha! Got to like a fellow Eddie Izzard fan. Cake or death!

September 10, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
    • QS

That implies that churches actually "educate the soul", or anything else for that matter, which I would find highly questionable.

But an otherwise great comment. Many of us can see for ourselves how religious people try to rig the game by demanding that their beliefs be recognized in some public fashion, and then claiming their beliefs are being "attacked" when that demand is not met.

Their self-reinforcing, circular thought process precludes the possibility of them understanding the concept of neutrality.

September 10, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
      • Momeraths

QS, I'm in agreement with you.

I think my main point was to explain that if people wanted to learn, and practice their religions, there are places to do it.

I try not to be too hostile against religion, maybe based on where I live. Sometimes a friendly hand will do a lot more than an angry fist, I guess.

September 10, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
  13. fr114

given it was added and NOT original to anything, just like "In God we trust" on our loot, why should it be there because a few nut cases wanted there? why not let there be a public vote on it

September 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
  14. mjbrin

what is fascinating to me is that the writer of the original pledge was a Christian Socialist and he did not feel the need to put "under God" in it. But he did consider adding and i quote "He considered placing the word, 'equality,' in his Pledge, but knew that the state superintendents of education on his committee were against equality for women and African Americans.
    I think some of you should follow this link
    http : // rex curry .net /pledge _of _allegiance _videos _images. html

September 10, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
    • Momeraths

See? Religion does bring people together.

It got Conservatives to champion the ideas of a socialist.

September 10, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
  15. Laurie

I was terrified to read the comments because I assumed a HUGE majority of people would be blasting the concept of removing the word 'God' from things such as the Pledge of Allegiance. I'm super glad I was wrong.

September 10, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
    • PushingBack

You are not alone!! 😉

September 10, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • steelerguin

Don't worry Laurie, this is Obama's America, not Reagan's

September 10, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
      • Open Your Eyes.

September 10, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
        • sly

Really gets your panties in a bun that there is a black man who is not only a hell of a lot smarter than you, and most white men, but He is your boss – the leader of the Free World.

Ho ho ho - these have been the best 6 years in American history, not just for all the social justice taking place, but because there is nothin' more enjoyable than watching a racist twist and squirm and cry about the 'evil' black man in office.

This ain't your 1860 Selma Alabama anymore fool.

September 10, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
        • Richard Cranium

That is just silly. I am not evil because I want religious references removed ( returned to original form) from things that are supposed to represent all of we the people.

Next, removing the lie from our money.

September 10, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
        • Lucifer's Evil Twin

LOL – You guys are getting my fingers tired from typing dumbass. What, did every trailer-park moron from the South decide to come on here today?

September 10, 2013 at 4:30 pm |
        • Bible Clown©

"obama's america considering people already think he is evil, like my self." Sorry about you being evil. Doesn't that mean Christ has failed with you? Or is that what all the lies are supposed to tell us?

September 10, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
        • ME II

How did this become about racism? I thought they were talking about conservative v liberal.

September 10, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
        • fred

Richard Cranium
          If godlessness is not evil then there is no such thing as evil. Your world view contradicts everything you observe.

September 10, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
        • sam

Uh oh, there's a scary brown guy in office! We're sorry you haven't gotten up the courage to burn a cross on the white house lawn yet. I'm sure you'll get there. And we can comment on the article about what secret service did to you later...

September 10, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
        • Brother Maynard

" ... obama's america considering people already think he is evil, like my self"
          Funny ... uh you do know that Obama is a Xtian right ?
          As a blue dog democrat I do like Obama. I don't agree with everything, however.
          As an atheist ... Obama's Xtianity is one of the things that I dislike. I remember when he had his national day of prayer in the White House ... turned my stomach. Just seemed so silly. Prayer does nothing practical. Still killing in Syria after Saturday's so called day of Prayer and Fasting. What a joke!

September 10, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
        • cedar rapids

'Open Your Eyes.
          You Said this is obama's america considering people already think he is evil, like my self. You proved my point, sooooo thank you for explaining to everyone that this is obama's america, and there for we dont want "under God" in our pledge.. It really proves allot about obama and the people that support him! Evil.'

Come back to us when you grow up.

September 10, 2013 at 5:15 pm |
  16. 616

How about we just chuck the whole pledge thing away and be done with it.

We don't need a pledge, it makes no sense to have one.

September 10, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
    • tom

Agreed. For most of this country's history we did not have a pledge. I suspect we were still capable of being good Americans without it.

September 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
    • Momeraths

I always thought it was silly.

Do we really need a loyalty oath?

I'd rather people follow the laws, treat others better and get an education, rather than parrot some words that make everyone feel more patriotic.

September 10, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
  17. Humble_hearted

**sigh** The war that will never end, until the End. I see both sides of the argument! However, to try and remove "words" that have "no meaning" to the non-believing party, isn't making children be forced to believe. Seems like some parents just don't want to have THAT conversation with their kids. At the same time, believers shouldn't be so "insensitive" and say they should just leave! That is wrong! This is the land of the free...free to say whatever and do almost whatever.

Solution: Believers owe that group of people an apology. Those who don't believe, teach your children the freedom and their right not to believe if they attend a school that says the Pledge. Then hug and each other and keep loving! That's to solution...lets just love and not fuss 🙂

September 10, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
    • Brian

Humble_hearted is it one Nation under God or Christian God? The Amendment was put in place partially to keep Government from creating or recognizing only 1 religion. Christians may say under God, other religions may say something else and non believers say nothing. The Amendment states Government should be separate from religion. This is not a religious choice it is a lawful choice and the words do not belong in any forced pledge in any public place...no matter your religious preference. I will pray in Church, driving down the street, in my home, to myself sitting at my work desk, but don't EVER tell me I HAVE to pray allegiance to any God, that is an individual choice.

And keep in mind schools are not telling children they cannot pray in school, the schools are being told they cannot lead or force prayer on anyone in the public schools, that is a big difference. You want to stand in the hallway and pray, go for it, you want to say under God in a pledge go for it, but do NOT force the citizens of this country to do the same.

September 10, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

There was a case a few years back where most of the students in an inner-city grade school were Muslim, and the Christian students began asking their moms to buy them mats so they could pray to Mecca too. The Christian parents were outraged, but since they were in a minority, they were obliged to either let their kids join in the fun or have the teacher make them stand in the Christian corner and watch enviously while the other kids wallowed around on mats.
      No problem, right? Majority rules, and minority drools. Or maybe you better think about how the law works when you are the minority.

September 11, 2013 at 8:19 am |
  18. Bubba

America's Founding Fathers did not trust Organized Religion then, and they would not trust it now.

September 10, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
    • 616

They must have trusted it enough to not ban them from the nation from the start.

September 10, 2013 at 4:09 pm |
      • doobzz

That's like saying I have to believe in Bigfoot to not believe in Bigfoot. Ridiculous.

September 11, 2013 at 10:34 am |
        • 616

I think you are responding to the wrong post because you are making no sense.

September 11, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
  19. Nodack

The whole under God thing was a recent addition to the US currency after another Republican witch hunt in which they claimed everybody was a Communist working for Russia.

September 10, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
  20. Richard

Too bad FUX news doesn't believe in freedom of speech and allow comments to be written, because I would have something to say about them.

September 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
    • Nodack

They recently brought back comments there after all their flock moved to CNN to post their drivel.

September 10, 2013 at 4:03 pm |
      • PushingBack

And they come here to say how stupid the articles are and then post tons of comments.

September 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
    • steelerguin

I can see them all huddled in a room just quivering worrying about what you are going to say.

September 10, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
      • Lucifer's Evil Twin

more likely they are huddled around a jesus statue circle-jerking...

September 10, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
        • yeahright

or a statue of Reagan holding the baby Jesus.

September 10, 2013 at 4:36 pm |