home
RSS
September 9th, 2013

Fox News host: Atheists 'don't have to live here'

By Daniel BurkeCNN Belief Blog Co-Editor
[twitter-follow screen_name='BurkeCNN']

(CNN) - Fox News pundit Dana Perino said she's "tired" of atheists attempting to remove the phrase "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, adding, "if these people really don't like it, they don't have to live here."

The co-host of Fox's "The Five" was referring to a suit brought by the American Humanist Association in Massachusetts, where the state's Supreme Judicial Court heard a challenge to the pledge on Wednesday.

The group's executive director, Roy Speckhardt, called the suit "the first challenge of its kind," but Perino begged to differ.

Perino, who was White House press secretary for George W. Bush from 2007-2009, said she recalled working at the Justice Department in 2001 "and a lawsuit like this came through."

The former Bush spokeswoman added that "before the day had finished the United States Senate and the House of Representatives had both passed resolutions saying that they were for keeping ‘under God’ in the pledge."

"If these people don't like it, they don't have to live here," Perino added.

David Silverman, president of the American Atheists, called Perino's comments "bigotry."

"I, for one, am tired of those Christians, like Ms. Perino, who think that equality is somehow un-American," Silverman said. "If Ms. Perino doesn't like being only equal, it is she who will have to leave America to some other country that doesn't value religious liberty."

READ MORE: Famous Atheists and Their Beliefs

In 2002, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with atheist Michael Newdow who argued that the words "under God" in the pledge amounted to an unconstitutional government endorsement of religion. The Supreme Court overturned that ruling.

Congress added the words "under God" in 1954 amid the red scare over the Soviet Union. In November 2002, after the Newdow ruling, Congress passed a law reaffirming "under God" in the pledge.

Greg Gutfeld, another co-host on "The Five," continued the discussion after Perino, saying the Pledge of Allegiance "is not a prayer, it's a patriotic exercise. In a sense, it's basically saying: Thanks for giving us the freedom to be an atheist."

The Massachusetts case, which was brought by an unidentified family of a student at a school in suburban Boston, will be argued on the premise that the pledge violates the Equal Rights Amendment of the Massachusetts Constitution.

READ MORE: Behold, the Six Types of Atheists

It is the first such case to be tried on the state level: All previous attempts have been argued in federal court on the grounds that "under God" was an unconstitutional violation of the separation of church and state.

CNN's Kevin Conlon contributed to this report.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Church and state • Courts • Culture wars • News media • Schools • TV

soundoff (7,255 Responses)
  1. A Whole New Blue Report

It's funny this country wasn't founded "under god" so she is wrong. It's clearly a second amendment issue and pledge needs to be change. When she said "they don't have to live here" she's basically saying that atheist are unpatriotic. This is untrue. So your saying that military men and woman who join who don't believe in god are unpatriotic, even though they fight on the lines for you the talent on a conservative media news outlet?

September 10, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • Uhhh

The Puritans came here to escape the Roman Catholic Church and built this country on Godly values from the doctrines of John Calvin.... Who thought you history?

September 10, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
      • Hey! You!

And who taught you how to spell?

September 10, 2013 at 8:37 pm |
      • Sara

Wow, the puritans wrote the Consti tution? I guess I was out that day.

September 12, 2013 at 11:14 pm |
  2. Gerry

Fox has the hottest women on their station...

September 10, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
    • AtheistFools

Oh she's hot for sure.

September 10, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • 616

i like Andrea better myself.

September 10, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
  3. keith

Wouldn't expect anything less from a politician who lies and believes in that fact, Fox News pundit Dana Perino. Dana needs to actually provide some evidence that GOD does truly exist; which she can't but we do know that science and dinosaurs are real existing before her supposed GOD. Maybe she should find a "+" sign and nail herself too it!!!!!

September 10, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
    • Realist

..........

... http://www.GODisIMAGINARY.com ... and thank goodness ...

... because he emanates from the ..... http://www.EVILbible.com

..........

September 10, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
  4. Rich

Well, nobody HAS to live here, you dumb bunny. That's the whole point of the old saying "It's a free country." I've always felt that it it should be the offended rather than the offendee that should leave. If she doesn't like being around all the godless athiests, she should just leave!

September 10, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • Sara

Really? which counties are offering visas to idiot pundits on US politics?

September 12, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
  5. RonFromNM

When I recite the pledge, I don't say the words "under god". It's ridiculous that it ever made it into the pledge. That said, it isn't terribly important to me whether it gets changed or not.

September 10, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
  6. Momeraths

I know. We could construct some buildings. These buildings could be used every, say, Sunday and Thursday for Christians to worship and talk God in. WE could call them "churches."

September 10, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
  7. A.

I'm fifteen generations American. Probably 15th generation atheist American, at least 10. She can move!
    Sincerely,
    America

September 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • AtheistFools

She's probably a 20th generation. That would make this place her home.

September 10, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
    • fred

Many of our founding fathers were Quakers and Deists fleeing countries where the state and church spent way to much time in bed together. The whole founding of our country is based on religious freedom, including the freedom not to follow any organized religion. Check out today's Quakers they are anti war pro healthcare and nothing like our right wing religious nutballs. I'm a Quaker. I was here first. Don't try to shove a bunch of doctrine down my throat and tell me it's the American way . It isn't

September 10, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
      • AtheistFools

Have you been in Europe before? Do you actually know the real reason why our ancestors were put on boats and sent away to the new land which is now america?

September 10, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
        • Just the Facts Ma'am...

I think there are two spaces missing in your name. You should have kept it as "A theist Fools" only himself.

September 10, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
        • AtheistFools

I think you don't know much about anything, do you?

September 10, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
        • fintastic

"put on boats and sent away"?????..... wow... you are one ignorant person!

September 11, 2013 at 8:37 am |
  8. Momeraths

I've got a solution.

Christians want a place where they can worship and talk about God because they feel like that has been taken away. How about we create some buildings where they can go and praise their god. They could go there on Sundays and, say, Wednesdays. We could call these buildings Churches.

Then public buildings could be neutral and for everyone. Problem solved.

September 10, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Karen

Nah, that would never work; it makes too much sense.

September 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • No_longer_svelte,_they_gotta_punch_new_holes_in_the_Bible_belt

Science be praised!

September 10, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • Arthur

How does that solve the separation of church and state issue? Targeting Christians is what Christ said would come to pass. Thank you for fulfilling the prophecies.

September 12, 2013 at 11:05 pm |
      • Sara

I would assume the OP intends for all religions to have their houses of worship, as they already do. It was a joke since it is obvious to most of us that religions can each have private spaces and stay out of government.

September 12, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
  9. Doug

Those who oppose the secular continuity of the Bill of Rights don't have to live here either.

September 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
  10. Rob

Well, Dana, you don't have to live here either. What's your point?

At the point that a religion other than yours takes over our society, you will be wishing the 'atheists' hadn't all moved away. Get a clue, lady.

September 10, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
  11. j

I love the hypocrisy of Atheists...they get mad over something that isnt real to them

September 10, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • QS

We get "mad" because it makes far more of you believe that it IS real.

September 10, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Rick

Now THAT is funny! ROTFLMAO!!

September 10, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • Doc Ock

So J, I'm sure you don't believe in Allah or Buhdda, so if they changed the pledge to one of those you wouldn't mind right? Because they are not real to you?

September 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
    • Jenny Ruth Yasi

Regarding the idea that "athiests get mad over something that isn't real to them." Wrong. The pledge of allegiance is real to me. Imagine how you would feel if you had to pledge allegiance to the flag and one nation, under Tinkerbell. It's just weird. I don't really know what people mean when they talk about one nation under God. That makes it sound like our nation is under this belief of God, and really in this country, religious freedom is what our country was founded upon and that means that citizens are not required to believe in God, we aren't required to believe in Allah, or Tinkerbell or Ghosts or Devils or reincarnation or holy spirits or anything like that. Putting "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance is offensive. It feels like right wing magic fairy nuts are trying to force me to believe in their magical deity, and this is the United States of America, where Americans are free to follow our own conscience regarding spiritual and religious matters, and the whole notion of a "God" running the show is just not what the pledge of allegiance is supposed to be about, and I don't pledge my allegiance to your "God," but to my country.

September 10, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • The Tenets of Atheism

1. There is no God.

2. I hate him!

September 10, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
      • AtheistFools

How can you hate someone you don't believe exist. Are you that retarded?

September 10, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
        • sybaris

If you looked at his moniker you might understand the context

September 10, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
        • The Tenets of Atheism

It was a JOKE! Are you a robot programmed to monitor religious message boards?

September 10, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
        • AtheistFools

So now you turn around and say it was a joke, why didn't you mentioned that in your post?

September 10, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
        • Just the Facts Ma'am...

wow, this guy is dense. From the format of the original post it's obviously meant as a joke...

September 10, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
        • AtheistFools

Any lies would suit you as long as you can cover your friends back right?

September 10, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
        • ROO

@AtheistFools

"How can you hate someone you don't believe exist. Are you that retarded?"

-you can hate the invented ghastly concept of a god.

September 10, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
    • Realist

..........

... http://www.GODisIMAGINARY.com ... and thank goodness ...

... because he emanates from the ..... http://www.EVILbible.com

..........

September 10, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
    • sybaris

No, we're not mad, just fearful that the continued Christian led perpetuation of ignorance will someday have most of the country believing that 2+2=fish.............and then those same people will vote in representative equally ignorant. I mean most of congress today is made up of Christians, right?

September 10, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
      • UncleBenny

"those same people will vote in representative equally ignorant."

And how would that be different?

September 10, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
  12. thwapper

oh my... this is such a non-issue, and I hope it continues to be so. Funny how activist atheist like this care so much about something they don't believe exists! Insane. This country compared to the rest of the world, is so amazing, even with our short comings... America has always been hugely Christian through-out all government, and look at all the freedom that has provided all of us, no one is getting the firing squad like in North Korea. Oh my, I hope we as citizens continue to educate the public about enjoying this nation and shutting down such stupid gripes like this.. Tell you kid not to say the pledge if you care so much, this pledge is apart of who we've been and should stay apart of who we are.

September 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • QS

Oh my, how ironic and contradictory that in your attempt to make it appear that you think this is a non-issue you go on and on about how important an issue it is because you believe it to be "a part of who we are".

September 10, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
      • Rick

Has it occurred to you that maybe some of us really like keeping you heathens stirred up for the fun of it? Some of the most fun times I've had have been when I could get one of you so mad that you would write a totally ridiculous page and a half rant about how something you don't believe in is "ruining the world" or "destroying society. Some of you do FINALLY wise up and stop taking the bait and then you're no fun any more, but you can usually always find another one in a few minutes.
        Tell me something, can I get a plastic Madelene Murray O'Hare statue that glows in the dark so I can hang on my rear view mirror? Yes friends, you're not completely safe without your plastic Murray on the dashboard so get em while they're still available...LOL!!

September 10, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
        • QS

Has it occurred to you that trolls are the jokes of most comments sections and we only rant the way we do because we recognize you as a troll and love to try to educate you even when we know you're just stirring the pot? 🙂

September 10, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
        • Hunatic

If that's true, thanks for the inspiration!

September 10, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
    • C D

What an absolutely revisionist view of history? This phrase added in 1954 is not the reason for this country's greatness. The country is great in spite of the religious nonsense. We had Mark Twain way before this phrase was inserted into our pledge and he very rightly pointed out that organized religion is the bane of any civil society. And I will take Mr Twain over your uneducated piffle any day and every day.

September 10, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
    • norman

yeah, thwapper, they're right-you're kind of dumb...

September 10, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • Realist

..........

... http://www.GODisIMAGINARY.com ... and thank goodness ...

... because he emanates from the ..... http://www.EVILbible.com

..........

September 10, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
    • fred

Again I stress that many of our founding fathers were Quakers and Deists not bible thumpers. look it up. They were pretty much the opposite of evangelicals. Stop trying to pretend it was different from that. People came here to escape religious persecution not enforce it. Quakers hate preached doctrine and they are open to all spirituality including other religions and the spiritual beauty of science.

September 10, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
  13. What is going on? FREEDOM

Fools that claim Communist countries commit their atrocities in the name of Atheism are foolish. Those countries committed their atrocities because they disagree with that political party (which is Communism). A good example would be Chechnya where the people went into revolt because they believed Communism was not in their best interest and the Soviet Union invaded that state. It wasn't because of Islam; it was because the Chechnyan people didn't want to be ruled by Communists.

September 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • What is going on? FREEDOM

Communists committed their atrocities because people disagreed with that party.

September 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
  14. Wholly Mary

No Kenny honey, my family has been in America since 1634, and I for one am going to stay & FIGHT! (You're free to leave though)

September 10, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • M

Oh, then your ancestors might have been involved with the genocide of the native Americans. Guess what, they were here first. Columbus didn't discover anything.

September 10, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
      • Austin

And as a matter of fact, Native Americans were slaughtered for not converting to Christianity. Funny, I thought your God was a good guy...

September 10, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
        • AtheistFools

There was some atheist leaders that did and killed more innocent people than that.Speaking of native people i know too darn well what happened. i'm a north american aboriginal. But i am also aware of atheist leaders who did worst than what happened to my people.

September 10, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
      • Wholly Mary

Actually, my family (Robert Coe-Puritan) BOUGHT their land in New York from the native Americans in 1660. I might add 4 direct descendants of the Revolution, the War of 1812 and Union officers in the civil war. My own father was a Purple Heart veteran of the "Greatest Generation" We will stand and fight for our (and your) rights!

September 10, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
        • AtheistFools

My father was a Purple Heart Veteran of the WWII, my grand father fought WWI, and my grand father fought in the American Civil War back then. Members of my family are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan My Native Ancestors are from my grand mother side. Atheists have no needs to tell me what i should or should not do.

September 10, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
  15. us_1776

Atheist: Fox "News" 'don't have to live here'

September 10, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
  16. Austin

I am actually an atheist student, and the fact is, I simply remove the words 'under god' from my part of the pledge. I feel a lawsuit is entirely unnecessary. I don't feel that if I don't say 'under god', then my classmates will be obliged by their faith to beat me over the head with their textbooks. I don't feel like it matters, after all, it's not as if I go to school to get baptized or anything involving religion. The most my class gets into religion is during Latin when my teacher talks about Jupiter and the other Roman gods. I cannot believe how much people can get agitated over tiny things like this. Just to top things off, isn't having a lawsuit to change two words people say every weekday a bit OVERKILL? It's not like teachers have crosses and images of Christ in their classrooms forcing kids to pay tribute every day. In other words, and please forgive me for this, I think this entire issue is a 100%, genuine, farm raised BS.

September 10, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • Momeraths

Austin, here is the only issue with that: It amounts to passing religion on through peer pressure.

Besides, making it neutral does not hurt anyone. It really shouldn't be such a fight about it. My tax dollars pay for schools and public buildings, too.

September 10, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • QS

You're ent.itled to your opinion, but your indifference on the subject shows just how much further we have to go.

Do so many people really not understand how and why this phrase was added in the first place? Do so many people really not grasp the concept of keeping church and state separate? Can so many seemingly intelligent and rational Atheists really be so blind to just how subtle and sinister this one simple addition was and is?

Call it a non-issue all you want, I for one support the lawsuit and hope it not only wins but then is used as precedent for the rest of the country!

September 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • Hunatic

Atheism is the clear truth and the best way to fight the pervasive slave-owner relationship the über-rich exert on us the citizenry; via the government and capitalism. They, not God, should be held liable for all the ills in our society. They prop up differing invisible anthropomorphic deities as chaff to prevent the weak-minded from doing their own thinking. By instilling the principles of Atheism in any way possible, you propagate Utopia. Remember, intelligence equals Utopia, idiocy equals Dystopia.

I had to laugh when the last lady starts talking about Atheists, because that is exactly the way we feel about theists. It's going to come to pass, nothing can really stop the truth. You just have to prove to the über-rich that they won't lose anything, and all this propped-up faux religion BS will come crashing down as the capitalistic collateral that it truly is.

September 10, 2013 at 7:51 pm |
      • QS

Well said, thanks! 🙂

September 10, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
        • Hunatic

You are so welcome!

September 10, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
      • Realist

..........

... http://www.GODisIMAGINARY.com ... and thank goodness ...

... because he emanates from the ..... http://www.EVILbible.com

..........

September 10, 2013 at 8:14 pm |
  17. TermLimitsNVoterID

Communist China or Cuba would be a great choice for Atheists.

September 10, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • Austin

Or how about a place where stupidity is illegal; like paradise, we haven't found it yet.

September 10, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • What is going on? FREEDOM

You fools are so uneducated.

September 10, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
    • Spencer

and this is why we can't have nice things

September 10, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • QS

The United States is the best place for us because it allows us to stand up to religion and continue putting it in its place!

September 10, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • AtheistFools

I'm sure you know what they do to gay people in Cuba lol. I;m not sure atheists would have a long reign over there.

September 10, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
  18. Rob

You all are way to sensitive. Live together and live free. Everyone will always have their opinion. That is what makes this country great. I grew up saying this every morning in school and it made me appreciate the country that allows me so much freedom.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

September 10, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • M

No, we need to bring them into the modern world.

September 10, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
      • Rob

"Modern" world ? Go live in a country with no rights and no freedom and tell your self that M......Live your dream. Your freedom is yours.

September 10, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
        • What is going on? FREEDOM

We ain't against you using God in the pledge; we are against the law stating it HAS to be in the pledge. There is no reason for it.

September 10, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • Rob

You don't have to say it and you don't have to pledge it in school it is YOUR right. So ignore it...... missing the point.

September 10, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
      • norman

No, we are going to remove it-that's the legal and just thing to do

September 10, 2013 at 7:57 pm |
        • Rick

Sorry "Norm" but that's never going to happen. You will never have the votes to do it. Even if, at some time in the FAR DISTANT future, you manage it by some political manipulation or just outright vote rigging, the Supreme Court will promptly knock it down again. Not even praying to Saint Madalyn Herself will help you on this one.

September 10, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
        • Stephanie

It was only added recently in comparison to the Pledge's lifetime, anyway. It was also added against the original author's wishes.

Everything that woman at the end of the clip was saying should be directed toward those in support of keeping "Under God." It is exclusive to keep it, instead of inclusive. It makes the Pledge only apply to one faith. The removal makes the Pledge inclusive for everyone; Atheists, Buddhists, Jehovah's Witness, etc. We can all be proud of our country and Pledge Allegiance to it if the words are removed, and the PLEDGE IS RESTORED TO ITS ORIGINAL STATE.

The blonde woman saying "why do they care? It's just some guy's name then" makes me seriously wonder if she goes around giving oaths to random things she doesn't believe in and sees it as "no big deal." It says a LOT about her character.

If the roles were reversed and the Pledge was legally changed to say "Under Buddha" – you can bet your biscuits these Christians would be upset when their children are told they can stay seated instead of showing pride in their country, and still kept present while their children's friends pledged to Buddha.

September 16, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
    • QS

Explain to me please, just how we are supposed to "live free" when religions across the globe do nothing more than restrict peoples' rights, freedoms and liberties by citing nonsensical superst.itions.

September 10, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
      • Rick

Sorry CQ, but that hastily contrived answer just won't hack it. And I'd be willing to bet real money I have twice the education you do. Your dystopic philosophy will never make any appreciable headway against this government and I think deep down you really do know that. I can give you one reason why you will never manage any thing significant against the US government. Four words: The Roman Catholic Church. They have more money and pure political power and influence than most governments including this one. And they will never allow you to make any headway. Between them and the Supreme court you have no chance and you never will. Oh, and please do pardon my indelicacy in using the phrase "hack it" considering what happened to Saint Madalyn and her dysfunctional family. I DO hope that same thing doesn't happen to you! What a tragedy that would be. Ha Ha!!

September 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm |
    • Karen

I've always considered the original version a more eloquent and succinct tribute to American ideals because the emphasis is on national unity.

"I pledge allegiance to my flag and to the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The addition of "under God" changed the focus and allowed for divisiveness. Now, rather than there being liberty and justice for ALL, the pledge is conditional, implying only those of faith deserve liberty and justice.

September 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
      • Jason

Pretty much this. Adding under God during the Red Scare did nothing but cause the Pledge of Allegiance to cause divisiveness, not continue to make the country indivisible as an ideal. Instead, it undermines the Pledge's very core substance.

Mind you, to all those stating that "you don't have to recite it", bull. Sorry, but that's a load of crap. You may legally not be required to recite it, but teachers endlessly shame those who refuse to either recite it, or refuse to say the "under God" part of the Pledge. They will even send kids to the office for not doing so, especially in the more conservative districts and states.

So no, the "under God" part of Pledge should not stay. It should never have changed from the original. Just as the money should never have been added, also during the Red Scare of the '50s. That so many buy into the utter nonsense that something so recent, and added for intellectually dishonest reasons, that also go so completely against the ideals of the Founders with regard to our government itself, is sad and pathetic, and more than a little frightening.

Sinclair Lewis was not wrong when he stated, "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." The corporatist movement currently gripping this country is frighteningly dangerous. You'd think we'd learned from history, but it appears we may be doomed to repeat it after all. 🙁

September 16, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
  19. Ken

I have to agree, if Athiests, humanists, etc. don't like references to God, they are free to leave. Good luck finding a godless country to live in.

September 10, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
    • sam

Your god doesn't run this country. And it seems you'd be happy to have it removed...once you realize that the only reason it was put in the pledge was to use god as a boogey man to scare commies.

September 10, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • M

Nah, we like it right here. We're going to help more of you come across to the truth, freeing your minds.

September 10, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
    • Josh

Most Nordic countries, just to point out a few, are secular. And just so you don't misinterpret, secular does not mean atheist, it means they keep religion and government separated.

September 10, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
      • Chris davies

A good atheist nation to move to would be Sweden – democratic, free health care (and better) for all, very high standard of living, higher life expectancy, less violent crime (crime in general in propotion to the population), high GDP, lower prison population, lower teenage pregnancy rate (though has risen slightly in the last decade), less drug use, lower use of abortion and best of all 85% of the population identify themselves as atheists. Or you could use Norway – very simular – lower atheist population but not massively and it also possess vast wealth of oil and gas that they have very wisely invested in a scheme to enrich all norwegians and means they have a energy saving fund which is constantly increasing and sits at currently over 1 trillion euros. Why people only ever use the state sponsored idea of atheistism (since religion forms a conflicting power) as set out by North Korea I will never understand especially when there are so much better facts to use.

September 17, 2013 at 4:58 am |
    • Austin

I personally happen to like it here. I don't really care if you choose to be Atheist, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, Taoist, Hindu, or any of the other religions. All that matters to me, are MY beliefs.

September 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm |
    • The Reverend

Since god doesn't exist, *all* countries are godless, toothless.

September 10, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • Sarah

Actually, the United States isn't a theocracy, it's a democracy, designed by the Founding Fathers to not have an established religion so all could come and live as they want. Just because there's a majority of Christians doesn't make it a Christian nation. If you want to live in a country based on religion you are free to move to one (and maybe I suggest Saudi Arabia or Iran? I hear its nice this time of year.)

Anyway, the 'under God" wasn't added to the pledge until 1954. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance) All other versions before it didn't mention God.

Overall, people need to calm down about this. No one is forcing anyone else to say the pledge, much less include the "Under God" part.

September 10, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • cristyelizabeth

Well said Ken, and yes, God lives everywhere :). God still exists whether people believe in him or not, I guarantee it to all you will find out sooner or later :)!!!

September 10, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
      • Doc Ock

I'm curious as to how you would "guarantee" that?

September 10, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
        • J

Easy. The guarantee happens to be after you're dead, which happens to also be what no one else knows about (what happens after you're dead). So, you pretty much have to take his word on it. And if you don't believe him, he'll reference you to an ancient book that supports this position. The only problem is, there are many different such ancient books out there all "guaranteeing" a form of not dying. The catch is, however, you have to worship said different Beings referenced in each ancient book. It's a almost like a business enterprise. The more subscribers to a particular ancient book, the more dominant. The more dominant, the more powerful. And they ALL want to be the most powerful. That's why they send salesmen to gain more customers in previously unexploited markets (The 3rd world).

September 16, 2013 at 10:54 pm |

Godless Vagabond
        Do I get my money back if a don't find out?

September 11, 2013 at 2:58 am |
    • EuphoriCrest

Why do you choose to live in a Consti-tutional Republic when clearly you prefer a theocracy?

September 10, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
    • Bill

And if you don't like living in a country that passed 'Obamacare', then you don't have to live here. And if you are the type who wants my taxes to go towards supporting nonsense like 'god' in the pledge and on our money, then I'll just bet you are against 'Obamacare'. Am I right?

September 16, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Steve

Atheism flourished under Stalinism.

September 10, 2013 at 7:18 pm |
    • What is going on? FREEDOM

Clueless troll. The Soviet Union committed their atrocities in the name of Communism, which is a political party. If you ever studied history correctly you would know that many Atheists actually fled Communist countries because they disagreed with that political party.

September 10, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • sam

This argument is old, tired, and disingenious. Stalin never killed anyone in the *name of atheism*. Go pound sand.

September 10, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
    • Doobs

Read a history book and learn something new.

September 10, 2013 at 7:26 pm |