home
RSS
September 9th, 2013

Fox News host: Atheists 'don't have to live here'

By Daniel BurkeCNN Belief Blog Co-Editor
[twitter-follow screen_name='BurkeCNN']

(CNN) - Fox News pundit Dana Perino said she's "tired" of atheists attempting to remove the phrase "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, adding, "if these people really don't like it, they don't have to live here."

The co-host of Fox's "The Five" was referring to a suit brought by the American Humanist Association in Massachusetts, where the state's Supreme Judicial Court heard a challenge to the pledge on Wednesday.

The group's executive director, Roy Speckhardt, called the suit "the first challenge of its kind," but Perino begged to differ.

Perino, who was White House press secretary for George W. Bush from 2007-2009, said she recalled working at the Justice Department in 2001 "and a lawsuit like this came through."

The former Bush spokeswoman added that "before the day had finished the United States Senate and the House of Representatives had both passed resolutions saying that they were for keeping ‘under God’ in the pledge."

"If these people don't like it, they don't have to live here," Perino added.

David Silverman, president of the American Atheists, called Perino's comments "bigotry."

"I, for one, am tired of those Christians, like Ms. Perino, who think that equality is somehow un-American," Silverman said. "If Ms. Perino doesn't like being only equal, it is she who will have to leave America to some other country that doesn't value religious liberty."

READ MORE: Famous Atheists and Their Beliefs

In 2002, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with atheist Michael Newdow who argued that the words "under God" in the pledge amounted to an unconstitutional government endorsement of religion. The Supreme Court overturned that ruling.

Congress added the words "under God" in 1954 amid the red scare over the Soviet Union. In November 2002, after the Newdow ruling, Congress passed a law reaffirming "under God" in the pledge.

Greg Gutfeld, another co-host on "The Five," continued the discussion after Perino, saying the Pledge of Allegiance "is not a prayer, it's a patriotic exercise. In a sense, it's basically saying: Thanks for giving us the freedom to be an atheist."

The Massachusetts case, which was brought by an unidentified family of a student at a school in suburban Boston, will be argued on the premise that the pledge violates the Equal Rights Amendment of the Massachusetts Constitution.

READ MORE: Behold, the Six Types of Atheists

It is the first such case to be tried on the state level: All previous attempts have been argued in federal court on the grounds that "under God" was an unconstitutional violation of the separation of church and state.

CNN's Kevin Conlon contributed to this report.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Church and state • Courts • Culture wars • News media • Schools • TV

soundoff (7,255 Responses)
  1. Blue Train

Not unlike Elvis....GOD...........has LEFT the planet! HIS ship just teleported to the Home System and thank god..I mean HIM
    as Earth is an animal zoo filled with maniacs. If there is a GOD and whatever HE is...advanced alien progenitor, supernatural Utlra-wizard or the like...HE woudl have become fed up with US long ago and moved on to greener and smarter pastures.

September 11, 2013 at 11:36 am |
    • Snare Trap

Hallelujah Brother! Given the Cargo Cult mentality of most of humankind's existence the alien progenitor idea is right on. To think about that requires a working brain with deep though reasoning capabilities. Increasingly that is not the case on good OLD blow-em up, do as I say planet earth and America. HITLER is a smiling!

September 11, 2013 at 11:42 am |
  2. I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

I'm just going to tap the sign briefly and remind everybody, "Don't feed the trolls".

September 11, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • DarwinTheIdiot

If you see trolls everywhere it's a sign that you need a head check.

September 11, 2013 at 11:34 am |
      • In Santa we trust

Idiot, If you see signs of creationism everywhere you are deluded.

September 11, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
        • DarwinTheIdiot

Go away with your cartoonist theory.

September 11, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • doobzz

Can we at least mock them for a bit, HAL? It makes my almond croissant and espresso taste better.

September 11, 2013 at 11:49 am |

Talking to me?

September 11, 2013 at 11:50 am |
        • Henry

Why are you calling Darwin an idiot? I get the impression you believe in evolution.

September 11, 2013 at 11:58 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

They thrive off of attention. Anytime you make fun of him, it just enlarges his tiny hard-on.

September 11, 2013 at 11:53 am |
        • DarwinTheIdiot

We should ship all atheist to an island somewhere and see how evolution would last for them.

September 11, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
        • Webster

DarwinTheIdiot:

We should get you a dictionary so that you can learn how to do plurals (atheists).

September 11, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
  3. DarwinTheIdiot

I don't understand why atheists admire Darwin so much, he spent his life having dementia and died believing in God.

September 11, 2013 at 11:28 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Go play with an hungry lion troll... help the human race out by getting removed from it...

September 11, 2013 at 11:31 am |
      • DarwinTheIdiot

Can i bring Dr. Kent Hovind too?

September 11, 2013 at 11:33 am |
        • Henry

Unfortunately for him, he’s in the big house.

September 11, 2013 at 11:36 am |
      • DarwinTheIdiot

The big house is like a heaven for him now. Dr. Hovind can now bend over.

September 11, 2013 at 11:42 am |
        • Henry

What do you mean by that?

September 11, 2013 at 11:50 am |
        • DarwinTheIdiot

LOL Henry.....He's now in a place where he drop the soap every now and then to his satisfaction.

September 11, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Like other deathbed conversions, Darwin's alleged return to his faith has been debunked.

Nor have I seen any indication that he had dementia. Of course if he did, that would explain a belief in God when he died.

All that is irrelevant anyway. Had Darwin maintained his faith in God it wouldn't have changed his theory. There are lots of people who can synthesize a belief in God with an acceptance of evolution as God's method for 'creation'.

September 11, 2013 at 11:35 am |
      • DarwinTheIdiot

It's another lie from atheists, it's no surprise. Atheists always deny whats not in their favor. Just like they denied that Thomas Jefferson was really a christian.

September 11, 2013 at 11:38 am |
        • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Jefferson was nominally a Christian – kind of a deist / Christian blend.

He clearly admired Jesus and wrote his own version of the Gospel – minus all the miracles. He didn't believe in the miracles.

Not what I imagine you would define as "Christian".

September 11, 2013 at 11:45 am |

Tapa tapa tapa.

September 11, 2013 at 11:49 am |
        • DarwinTheIdiot

You will also deny that h o m o s e x u a l i t y is a choice. If they were born that way, tell me why there is so much gay s e x in prisons. Most of these prisoners are not gay. Now is it a choice or not?

September 11, 2013 at 11:58 am |
        • Observer

Darwin,

Jefferson was not a Christian. You have done a miserable job of trolling or of research.

September 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm |

Yes he was.

September 11, 2013 at 12:07 pm |

Tapa tap tapa.

September 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
        • Observer

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that,

You're right. He's pathetic at trolling. Must be a first-timer.

September 11, 2013 at 12:14 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Given the attention he's getting, I'd say he was a fairly talented troll.

September 11, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
        • acidgrin0

Oh yes, *atheists* are the ones who disregard what isn't going their way. Suuure. Mhm.

September 11, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
        • cedar rapids

'If they were born that way, tell me why there is so much gay s e x in prisons. Most of these prisoners are not gay'

you are confusing prison r ape for gay s e x.

September 11, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Don't make me tap the sign again GOP.

September 11, 2013 at 11:42 am |
        • DarwinTheIdiot

You can also tap your head on the wall a few times. That may help you from seeing trolls everywhere.

September 11, 2013 at 11:45 am |
        • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Yes, I concur. Sometimes it's fun, even if it's futile.

September 11, 2013 at 11:45 am |
        • DarwinTheIdiot

I dare you to tap your head on a wall for an hour. Trust me, you won't find a better cure for troll hallucinations.

September 11, 2013 at 11:49 am |
      • Bible Clown©

You are talking to a grade-school kid stuck in class in front of a computer. He wants to post nonsense like the big boys but he doesn't really understand, so it's nya nya nya and I know you are but what am I? Ignore him.

September 11, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
    • doobzz

That's because you're too stupid to read and understand the English language.

September 11, 2013 at 11:48 am |
      • doobzz

That was to Darwin/AtheistFools/AtheistsNobody and whatever other trolly troll name you post under.

September 11, 2013 at 11:52 am |
      • Bible Clown©

Just flag them.

September 11, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
        • DarwinTheIdiot

I never thought atheists where so afraid of losing an argument. You flag comments because you're losing? i call that being a loser. That's nothing new, atheists are good at this. "being a loser"

September 11, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • Commenter

DarwinTheIdiot,

Not to demean Charles Darwin and all of his hard work, but even if he had never lived or done all of his research we would be at the same place regarding evolution. Someone else would have (and were discovering, even back then) the connections. We have DNA and so many other facts which confirm his (and others) studies.

If we were to start all over from the beginning with science, we would discover the same facts. If religions were to start all over, they would most likely be quite different.

September 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
      • Bible Clown©

You are talking to a child. Darwin is a name he heard. Look at his word choices and turns of phrase. Ignore it.

September 11, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
  4. Bible Clown©

Most of the people who want to keep the wording seem to be, in fact, disloyal to this country and prefer insinuating that the President is somehow disqualified and "never was president." Why do these people care about a pledge they've broken? Habit?

September 11, 2013 at 10:47 am |
  5. karie

So, point being, I'm guessing you won't tell us where Horus said the things Jesus stole and you won't criticize that animal Sam stone

September 11, 2013 at 10:47 am |
    • So hharri is now karie

Why don't you commit hari kari. Do everyone a favor.

September 11, 2013 at 11:15 am |

LOL

September 11, 2013 at 11:26 am |
      • doobzz

ROTFL!

September 11, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • Bible Clown©

We could show you where the monkey stuck the banana.

September 11, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
  6. Bob

When are the news channels going to report the news instead of inserting editorial comments? Since when has it become their "patriotic" duty to judge what is and what is not right? The only thing they succeed in doing is promote controversy which only promotes their profits!
    Simply report the news and let me decide, thank you. If I want an editorial comment, I’ll go to one of those propaganda channels. But then, I don’t really have a desire to do that because I am looking more for facts than fantasy.

September 11, 2013 at 10:41 am |
    • karie

Beat it crybaby

September 11, 2013 at 10:43 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

To be fair, The Five isn't really a news show. It's more of a news discussion show.

September 11, 2013 at 10:45 am |
      • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Agreed. It has all the gravitas of "The View".

September 11, 2013 at 11:37 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

I watched The View once briefly. I puked blood for a week.

September 11, 2013 at 11:38 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

They're ALL propaganda channels.
      Read Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent".

September 11, 2013 at 10:52 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Unless it's something to do with linguistics, I'd rather cut my johnson off with a rusty penknife than read anything by Chomsky. For a guy with unparalleled knowledge of linguistics, his politics are just tediously dull and predictably left-wing and anti-American.

September 11, 2013 at 11:00 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

I like his polemics becuase he'll make his assertions but cite numerous references so the reader can check the accuracy of his statements for themself.
          Call him "anti-american" if you like, but he draws his conclusions from an examination of facts gleaned from multiple sources – most often outside of America's direct sphere of media influence.
          Same with Naomi Klein. I gave my father a copy of her "Shock Doctrine" – as a lifelong UN peacekeeper (infantry medic/SARTech) he said he could only read a chapter or so at a time before he became too incensed to continue.
          The content of the book are "anti-american" – but just like with Chomsky, every contentious assertion is backed up wiht numberous credible references.

September 11, 2013 at 11:15 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Naomi Klein? Jesus Doc, you've just gone down about a million notches in my book.

September 11, 2013 at 11:20 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

So long as these authors back up their assertions with credible sources, what's the issue?
          Of course they're biased and the way in which they present their cases can be construed as being deliberately contentious, but if verifiable facts are the basis of their opinions then it is easy enough to wade through the rhetoric and make up your own mind.

And BTW – Chomsky's Propaganda Model is perfectly legit – even decades later, it can still be applied to virtually any media outlet.

September 11, 2013 at 11:51 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

I have no doubt that their opinions are drawn from facts, it's the opinions and how they're drawn that annoys me.

September 11, 2013 at 11:59 am |
      • Bible Clown©

"They're ALL propaganda channels." Snore. Oh. come on. They're not all like FOX or MSNBC. People just prefer opinion and interpretation to news these days.

September 11, 2013 at 11:16 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

Do you think CNN is a proper news channel?
          They've been busted a few times for faking their news reports.
          During the 1st Gulf War, I was living at HQEUCOM – and American military base in Germany.
          At the time, the only english television station available was AFN – The Armed Forces Network.
          As you can imagine, AFN was rife with propaganda of the most egregiously transparant kind.
          Can you guess whose news reports they re-broadcast to the soldiers?
          Which is kind of ironic given that a lot of the people watching the white-washed news stories knew the truth since they'd been personally involved....

September 11, 2013 at 11:29 am |
        • doobzz

It's getting difficult to believe any news channel or media outlet anymore.

Diane Sawyer is particularly amusing. She reminds me of a kindergarten teacher reading a storybook to her class, with different voices and facial expressions to convey her outrage, sympathy, or humor in the broadest possible way.

September 11, 2013 at 11:57 am |
  7. Neo Agnostic

SOme of us are more equal than others.

Which pretty much sums up how our society is now.

September 11, 2013 at 10:28 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

'Animal Farm' reference – kudos to you

September 11, 2013 at 10:51 am |
  8. Henry

Did you all see the president on TV yesterday?

He ended his speech by saying, “God bless America.”

If you listen carefully you will not hear him say, “nobody bless America.”

September 11, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Stupid comparison. He's a private citizen, he can say what he likes.

September 11, 2013 at 10:16 am |
      • Henry

My point is that the President, the most important person in the world, believes in God.

September 11, 2013 at 10:22 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

So? Also, I'm the most important person in the world (to me at least).

September 11, 2013 at 10:24 am |

September 11, 2013 at 10:33 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Is that a joke, are you trolling or are you stupid?

September 11, 2013 at 10:37 am |
        • Ken

Bad argument, unless you consider everything that every sitting president has ever said to be uniquely profound?

September 11, 2013 at 10:42 am |
        • Henry

Stupid? I was 8th in my high school class but unfortunately that school was in the south.

September 11, 2013 at 10:42 am |

Trolling so, I guess.

September 11, 2013 at 10:46 am |

@I’m sorry Dave.

Just kidding around my good man.

September 11, 2013 at 10:58 am |
        • Jake

Let's be clear here – the president SAYS he believes in god. Saying you believe in god is a requirement to be successful in politics in our country. By definition, to be elected president, you must at least pretend to believe in god. That's a lot different than actually believing in god. We don't know if he really believes it or not, but I highly doubt it. He's not an idiot.

September 11, 2013 at 10:58 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Idiot and religious are not synonymous.

September 11, 2013 at 11:02 am |
        • Jake

True, but they're pretty close.

September 11, 2013 at 11:04 am |
        • Henry

But as I said before Jake, he claimed in his first book that he was going to church before he went to Law School.

September 11, 2013 at 11:05 am |

No they aren't.

September 11, 2013 at 11:07 am |
        • Jake

Who cares Henry? There are plenty of people who go to church for many different reasons who don't believe in god.

Dave, I don't believe it's possible to be an intelligent person and truly believe in god. It's possible to live in denial, but any intelligent person must at least know in the back of their mind that it's absurdly ridiculous to believe in a god. So, if you're truly a believer in a religion, you're pretty much an idiot and therefore, they're pretty close to being synonomous.

September 11, 2013 at 11:13 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

That's a rather baseless opinion. Some great minds are theists. There's no doubt that atheists/agnostics are proportionately more intelligent than religious people, but that doesn't mean theists can't be intelligent.

September 11, 2013 at 11:18 am |
        • Doris

Jake do you really mean the Abrahamic God, or are you a high atheist that insists that it is not reasonable to think that any deity might exist or might have existed?

September 11, 2013 at 11:19 am |

Jake?
          Atheists go to church? That point is foreign to me. Do you know atheists who go to church?

September 11, 2013 at 11:20 am |
        • Doris

(I said this OR that, but not that those are the only two possibilities under atheism/agnosticism–I just noticed your lowercase use of "god".)

September 11, 2013 at 11:22 am |
        • Doris

I do occasionally, Henry -that's at least one.

September 11, 2013 at 11:29 am |
        • Richard Cranium

Henry
          I am an atheist and I go to church frequently. Not for any of the services personally, but for various and assorted reasons. Odd that I show more respect in churches than my religious counterparts...Must be something about familiarity breeding contept on their part.

September 11, 2013 at 11:32 am |
        • Jake

Yes Dave, there are many atheists who go to church. Of course, it's difficult to quantify because the whole point for most atheists that go to church of going is to fit in and meet the social expectations of their family, friends, community, etc, so they are closet atheists. My mother, for example, is an atheist who went to church for a period of time. She was raised Christian and really enjoyed the church rituals. After not attending church for many years, she missed the ritual / community side of it and went back for a period of time even though she's an atheist. She ultimately decided the teachings were so disturbing that she could no longer justify going.

Dave, I realize there are exceptions, but in general, I rarely meet an intelligent person who adamantly believes in god. Typically, intelligent people who say they believe in god will admit serious doubt when questioned.

September 11, 2013 at 11:34 am |
        • Jake

That first paragraph was meant to be addressed to Henry, not Dave.

September 11, 2013 at 11:35 am |
        • Bible Clown©

"Dave, I don't believe it's possible to be an intelligent person and truly believe in god." Hmm, I'll take a shot at that. If what you believe is that a Force from outside our physical universe has enough sympathy for you that it will undertake to preserve you in some way from the death of your body, then it's far-fetched but not impossible. If you think angels are following you around and helping you get good parking spots, then you are fooling yourself into accepting impossible stuff.

September 11, 2013 at 11:38 am |
        • Jake

Doris, I don't know what a "high atheist" is, or what the Abrahamic god is. When I say god, I mean a being who created and / or controls the universe. I don't believe in anything that falls into that category.

September 11, 2013 at 11:40 am |
        • Henry

Thanks for the reply fellas. I had no idea.

September 11, 2013 at 11:46 am |
        • Doris

Jake: "Doris, I don't know what a "high atheist" is, or what the Abrahamic god is. When I say god, I mean a being who created and / or controls the universe."

Well then I suggest you learn what these things are – what they are generally accepted to mean. For high atheism vs. agnostic atheism for instance, a Wiki page is a good start. Most I think feel that most atheists today are the latter. Abrahamic – the god of Islam and Israel and Christianity (for those that think they are the same). I would also check out Deism to see what kind of God many of the U.S. founders believed in. The Deistic God was not believed to have played an active controlling role in people's lives–he was just the watch maker who just set things in motion.

September 11, 2013 at 11:58 am |
        • Jake

Doris, I'm an atheist. That just means I don't believe in god. Atheism is not a religion and doesn't need to be defined with a bunch of sub-categories, because it's not complicated. It just means I don't believe in god.

My research suggests that many of our founders also didn't believe in a god, even as you define it, and even more so despised organized religion. The notion that people like this Fox reporter promote that our country was founded on "Christian principles" is completely bogus and in many ways, the exact opposite of what our founders intended.

September 11, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
        • Doris

Thanks for the explanation of your view, Jake. I've just had many discussions here with people who will argue all kinds of possibilities for creation and then miles down the road find out they misunderstood each other on what each meant by "god" or "God". So I always try to clarify as soon as possible what a person means by that one word when they use it – especially if they DON'T capitalize it. (Although when someone says they believe "in god", I do assume they mean the Abrahamic God, but depending on what has already transpired in the conversation, I might question them on it.)

September 11, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
        • ME II

@Doris,
          "For high atheism vs. agnostic atheism for instance, a Wiki page is a good start"

Perhaps you mean strong or positive atheism, I haven't heard of "high" atheism either.

September 11, 2013 at 12:35 pm |
        • Doris

Yes – thank you, ME II -I do mean strong atheism.

September 11, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
        • Johnny

Or he just pretends to so that morons like you will vote for him.

September 11, 2013 at 1:05 pm |
    • ME II

meh, political pandering

September 11, 2013 at 10:17 am |
      • Henry

Pandering? The president is a churchgoer isn’t he?

September 11, 2013 at 10:20 am |
        • ME II

Sure. but are church goers required to close speeches with that phrase?
          Any president closing a speech with anything else would be slaughtered in the media.

Let us all work toward the highest goals and let peace prevail.

September 11, 2013 at 10:52 am |
    • Observer

If you study history you'll know that it's pretty much necessary for presidents to talk to the masses about God even when they privately may not feel as convinced.

September 11, 2013 at 10:21 am |
      • Henry

But the President does believe in God.

According to his first book, he’s been going to church before he even went to law school.

September 11, 2013 at 10:24 am |
        • Observer

Isn't he a Muslim who was born in Kenya?

September 11, 2013 at 10:25 am |
        • Henry

Nope. A Christian from Hawaii.

September 11, 2013 at 10:27 am |
      • Doris

It does seem so, Observer. For instance, many believe Abraham Lincoln was as much a Deist as anything.

John Remsburg, in his book Six Historic Americans (1906), cites several of Lincoln's close associates:

After his assassination Mrs. Lincoln said: "Mr. Lincoln had no hope and no faith in the usual acceptance of these words." His lifelong friend and executor, Judge David Davis, affirmed the same: "He had no faith in the Christian sense of the term." His biographer, Colonel Lamon, intimately acquainted with him in Illinois, and with him during all the years that he lived in Washington, says: "Never in all that time did he let fall from his lips or his pen an expression which remotely implied the slightest faith in Jesus as the son of God and the Savior of men."

September 11, 2013 at 10:31 am |
        • Henry

Maybe so but Obama is better than Lincoln.

September 11, 2013 at 10:39 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Lincoln is possibly our greatest president. Obama is definitely in the lower rung of presidents (admittedly, he has had a tough job after eight years of Bush madness).

September 11, 2013 at 10:43 am |
        • Doris

Hmm. Jumping the gun a bit there Henry? Also, saying one president is better than another without mentioning any policies is like saying blue is better than red. Actually, I'm not against the president on many issues. But If his mention of God helps you ward off vampires – hey, knock yourself out.

September 11, 2013 at 10:53 am |
        • tallulah13

I cut President Obama a lot of slack. I think a lot people took one look at the color of his skin and though "Liberal!" when actually he's a very cautious moderate. So the republicans were determined right off the bat to undermine everything he does, and those who supported him, expecting a bleeding-heart liberal, are disappointed and angry. The guy has tried very hard, but utterly invented expectations have left him spinning his wheels.

Maybe he's an ineffective President, but I would not call him a bad one.

September 11, 2013 at 11:01 am |

@ I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Lincoln is better than Obama? Obama was responsible for the demise of our biggest enemy of all time.

Meanwhile, Lincoln was a Republican and we’re all on the left side of things.

September 11, 2013 at 11:02 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

I doubt that somebody else being in the hot seat would have resulted in a different outcome for Osama. Also, I'm as right-wing as Genghis Khan. Why would you think otherwise?

September 11, 2013 at 11:06 am |
        • Doris

Now Henry, do you really think the Republicans of Lincoln's time were also a step away from the nut house?

September 11, 2013 at 11:12 am |

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that,
          Well, most people who are on CNN are on the left.

Doris,
          I guess not.

September 11, 2013 at 11:27 am |

Most, not all.

September 11, 2013 at 11:32 am |
        • Bible Clown©

"I doubt that somebody else being in the hot seat would have resulted in a different outcome for Osama." Dubya had plenty of time, and what he did was say that Osama bin Laden didn't matter and call off the search. Matter of record.

September 11, 2013 at 11:42 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

If Bush Junior was in the hot seat when it happened, I doubt even he could have fudged it out. Osama wasn't a priority so he was right to scale down the search. It's not like Obama made a big deal of searching for him. New information was made available regarding his whereabouts, it was acted upon and hey presto, dead Osama. Sure, give Obama some credit, but I don't think he was intrinsic to the outcome.

September 11, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • Bible Clown©

1. Weren't you here last week calling him a Muslim?
      2. To be elected president, one must pretend to be Christian. Cf. Rand Paul.

September 11, 2013 at 10:50 am |
    • Richard Cranium

"But, he’s the president. Since everyone loves the president and the president believes in God then everyone should believe in God."

Henry must be a troll, no one can be THAT stupid.

September 11, 2013 at 10:51 am |
      • Henry

I was just kidding around with that statement.

September 11, 2013 at 11:23 am |
    • Snare Trap

I'm sure the aliens heard and smiled a blessing.

September 11, 2013 at 11:43 am |
  9. karie

Just throw Sammy into prison and throw away the key.

September 11, 2013 at 9:55 am |
    • karie

And Taliban, alqeada, no religion, dopes, tom the moron, jerry, Kelly, Jr, just dump them all in the middle of the pacific

September 11, 2013 at 9:57 am |
    • Doris

I'm guessing this Sammy is the one approves the bumblehead Dana Perino's Fox script. What's his full name?

September 11, 2013 at 10:28 am |
      • karie

So, point being, I,m guessing we need to throw you in too, observer

September 11, 2013 at 10:42 am |

LOL Karie

September 11, 2013 at 11:31 am |
      • Bible Clown©

Doris, you are rudely intruding on the conversations of some 7th graders who are in class using computers. She posts here, and he answers her on a different story's comment board. They get very angry at us "observers" who are bothering them, so impersonate them to death.

September 11, 2013 at 10:53 am |
        • Doris

Ah, thanks BC. Yeah, I can see now the trollistic behavior.

September 11, 2013 at 11:01 am |
        • Lucifer's Evil Twin

karie (faith) and all of her many many stupid names... faith and sam should just go ahead and relieve the sexual tension between them... LOL

September 11, 2013 at 11:13 am |
      • doobzz

Doris, this particular troll has an obsession with another poster, sam stone. It changes names several times a day and calls other people sam or sammy, steals other posters names, and hits Report Abuse if you disagree.

Sometimes I tease it for a while, but an actual discussion isn't possible.

September 11, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
  10. Aaron

Yes, remove god.

September 11, 2013 at 9:27 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Yes. Also, remove Sauron.

September 11, 2013 at 9:29 am |
      • Doc Vestibule

Maybe Abraham's God can be vanquished if we take the original stone tablets witth the 10 Commandments back to Mount Sinai and destroy them....

September 11, 2013 at 9:41 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Yes. Last I heard, the Legion of Doom were holding them at the Hall of Doom. I'll get on the Batphone immediately.

September 11, 2013 at 9:45 am |
        • tallulah13

I think we're going to need a bigger hobbit.

September 11, 2013 at 9:46 am |
        • ME II

"... a bigger hobbit"
          That's funny.

September 11, 2013 at 10:19 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

No, as a Jawsist, I found it thoroughly offensive.

September 11, 2013 at 10:23 am |
      • karie

And dave

September 11, 2013 at 10:40 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

If you like. Remove Dave, whoever he is.

September 11, 2013 at 10:41 am |
        • karie

He's the one convinced he's a comedian

September 11, 2013 at 10:49 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

That's cleared that up then.

September 11, 2013 at 10:54 am |
        • Bible Clown©

Any good dentist can remove caries from your teeth.

September 11, 2013 at 10:54 am |
  11. Vic

God Bless The United States Of America

Tribute to 9/11/2001

September 11, 2013 at 9:11 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

God is responsible for all those deaths. Why aren't you condemning him?

September 11, 2013 at 9:17 am |
      • Snare Trap

True Dat...exactly where was GOD on 9-11 or during the Holocaust or Spanish Inquisition (heck that WAS the Church that time)...all this torture, mayhem and killing? That is HIS idea of existence.....really? I think he left us long ago when we turned out to be spoiled, idiotic, moronic failures.

September 11, 2013 at 11:45 am |
        • Vic

Those innocent lives were unjustly taken by man and NOT God. Man chooses what to do (Free Will,) and God is watching and knows everything, whether we realize it or not. We can not question nor can we know everything about His Sovereign Divine Wisdom and Justice and how they totally work. That's part of "Faith."

September 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
        • Richard Cranium

Vic
          The lives were taken by men, who believed what they were doing was in line with what their god wanted. Remove god, remove the motivation for the attacks.
          Many millions prayed the towers would not come down, they came down, millions prayed for the victims and the families to be safe, they are still dying from the attacks to this day.

September 11, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Vic
      9/11 was absolutely and an a.trocity. Thousands of innocents died, including a a friend of mine who worked at the Pentagon.
      But I have to ask – now that it's been 12 years, do you understand what motivated the terrorists to attack?
      (hint: it isn't because they were Muslim)

September 11, 2013 at 9:24 am |
      • Doc Vestibule

sorry – that should say
        "Absolutely and atrocity". Having difficulty with the idiot word filter today.
        Apparantly the word "i.rr.e.fu.ta.bly" is naughty

September 11, 2013 at 9:26 am |

Godless Vagabond
          Irrefutably. Seems OK.

September 11, 2013 at 2:07 pm |
      • Vic

EVIL!

September 11, 2013 at 11:50 am |
      • Richard Cranium

Yes Vic, evil that is created by believing in deities, and presuming to know what they want. The attacks would never have happened if people did not worship gods.

It is just a prime example of the evil that can happen when people have unfounded beliefs in deities, then create in their own minds, ideas of what that god wants.

September 11, 2013 at 11:56 am |
        • Vic

Splitting hairs, so as most of the replies I see!

September 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
        • Richard Cranium

How is that splitting hairs? The attacks on 9/11 and many other atrocities throughout history would NEVER have happened if men did not worship deities and then act on what they think that their particular god wants.

What hairs were split?

September 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Not to sound callous, but if your god blessed this country, he wouldn't have allowed suicidal idiots to fly passenger planes into buildings in his name...

September 11, 2013 at 9:32 am |
    • tallulah13

I think a better tribute to those who were lost on 9/11 would be to put aside the gods that divide us and embrace the humanity that unites us.

September 11, 2013 at 9:37 am |
    • Vic

On nine eleven two thousand and one
      An act of terrorism had been done

The enemies of freedom struck with vengeance
      Fascism and evil doctrine are their reverence

Horror and destruction in lower Manhattan
      Thousands of lives were unjustly taken

Shanksville Pennsylvania and the Pentagon
      Things had surely terribly gone

People in there did not deserve to die
      In anguish and agony said last goodbye

They were totally innocent and unassuming
      Going about daily life that Tuesday morning

They were civilians and in no disguise
      Yet they were taken completely by surprise

They were not military soldiers nor in combat
      Yet they were taken out by a cowardly act

Terrible loss and tremendous pain
      But freedom and liberty forever reign

Beautiful souls the heart they soften
      Surely gone but never forgotten

September 11, 2013 at 10:03 am |

Your god killed them.

September 11, 2013 at 10:05 am |
        • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Yes, all were killed in the name of the God of Abraham.

September 11, 2013 at 11:29 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

That's not what I meant (although it's true). I meant that an omnipotent creator god is responsible for everything.

September 11, 2013 at 11:31 am |
        • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Yes, I understood your meaning too and agree.

The point that they were all killed in the name of the God of Abraham was really meant for Vic.

September 11, 2013 at 11:48 am |
        • Vic

September 11, 2013 at 11:57 am |

Balderdash.

September 11, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
        • doobzz

"We can not question nor can we know everything about His Sovereign Divine Wisdom and Justice and how they totally work. That's part of "Faith."
          "

Actually, we can and do question why your loving deity watches his creations kill each other in his name. That's part of "reason".

September 11, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
      • Ken

Vic
        It's good that you recognize religious extremism as a form of fascism, but isn't forcing your beliefs in a particular god also an extreme position to take in a land that supposedly values religious freedom?

Put yourself in our position. Imagine you are a Christian in a predominantly non-Christian nation. Would you feel comfortable swearing a patriotic oath for the country that you love to be protected by some other god?

September 11, 2013 at 10:17 am |
        • Vic

?!

September 11, 2013 at 11:49 am |
        • ME II

@Vic,
          for example,

"... one nation, under Vishnu, indivisible..."

September 11, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
      • Ken

By "innocent" do you just mean undeserving of such an attack, or are you claiming, as some Christians do, that all the victims were somehow made into martyrs who were promoted to heaven irregardless of what their actual beliefs and state of salvation was before dying?

September 11, 2013 at 10:27 am |
        • Lucifer's Evil Twin

'irregardless' – please don't do that...

September 11, 2013 at 10:56 am |
        • Ken

Personally, I find the spelling police to be just as bad as the "You used a naughty word, so I'm justified in not having to answer that question" crowd.

September 11, 2013 at 11:02 am |
        • Lucifer's Evil Twin

I let whoever is 'Dippy' take care of the spelling and grammar patrol... however, 'irregardless' is a personal pet peeve of mine... especially as I was stationed in GA a few times and everyone there seems to think it's an actual word...

September 11, 2013 at 11:16 am |
        • Vic

?!

September 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
    • Ken

I'm curious as to what you hope America would get out of your god's "blessing"? Are you implying that he hasn't been blessing us already. If so, which god or goddess do we owe our position as the world's most prosperous nation ever?

September 11, 2013 at 10:03 am |
      • Vic

Everlasting praise and supplication to God Almighty, Father, Son (Lord Jesus Christ) and Holy Spirit.

September 11, 2013 at 11:48 am |
        • Lucifer's Evil Twin

So to paraphrase – Nothing

September 11, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
      • Aardvark

Tiamat?

September 11, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
    • Vic

I don't get it, most of the replies seem to be argumentative than to a point! I am just paying tribute here!

September 11, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
      • tallulah13

You are "paying tribute" to people who were killed because in the name of one god by evoking your own god. Can't you just leave gods and religion out of it for five minutes and just grieve the lost?

September 12, 2013 at 9:24 am |
  12. Bible Clown©

Do you guys get a bigger halo in Heaven if you tell a lot of lies when you're alive? Or am I misunderstanding "bear false witness?" Every third person here seems to start with "As a proud and devout Christian, I can tell you for a fact that all atheists are _______________" and then something they know is a lie. Dante put liars in the Eighth Circle of Hell, but I guess today he'd just let them go.

September 11, 2013 at 8:52 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

"Cognite Intrare" – Compel them to enter.
      It's OK to lie, threaten, extort, torture etc. so long as you're doing it to convert some heathens.

September 11, 2013 at 8:59 am |
      • Bible Clown©

There's a tipping point where we start doing it back to them. How about some new religions based on video games?

September 11, 2013 at 10:58 am |
  13. Thinking things through

Dana, you don't have to live here, either. Go pack your bags.

That "under God" phrase in the Pledge is younger than I am (not by much, but it is). New fangled progressives! Let's go back to the good old fashioned conservative principles and remove that statement!

PS, I am not an atheist (nor a Christian), but I really don't think the gummint needs to be in religion - it demeans the entire religious/spiritual experience. It is just amazing how the Tea Partyers want the gummnit out of their gun collections but into everyone's religious business.

September 11, 2013 at 8:02 am |
    • huhb

Anti-Americans like the ever-stupid Dana Perino can't stand it when people participate in the political process. They hate it when they're reminded they have to share.

I'm not sure why idiots like Dana Perino live here at all. Their utopia would be Somalia.

Get packing, Perino. Those of us who understand the USA will stay and defend it from asshats like you.

September 11, 2013 at 8:26 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Pretty much. Tea Partiers would love a Somalia style US. No real official government but a religious militia who'll still control every aspect of its citizens' lives.

September 11, 2013 at 8:31 am |
  14. acidgrin0

The pledge did not originally have "Under God" in it, and that DOES matter. Any 'conservatives' who support keeping it in there have not interest in maintaining traditions, but rather forcing a belief in god upon a mostly secular nation.

As a nation founded from travellers the world over in the 350+ years before the revolution, we thrive in our diversities.
    Those diversities lie in language, culture, color, creed, and religion, and without our freedom to choose our own religion, we'd be a bleak and jocular example of the freedom we so pride ourselves on.

The pledge of allegiance is a citizen's way of announcing, by voice, support for their country. While these two simple words may not seem like they do much harm, they are spoken in the middle of perhaps the most intrinsic phrase to our country's symbolism. As an American with no god myself, I find it worrying that I am forced to lie to voice support for my country and the principles it was founded on.

If we must submit to another's beliefs to be united, then we cannot be united.
    Removing these words does no harm those who believe, but rather strengthens all others under the flag.

September 11, 2013 at 2:29 am |
    • aldewacs2

Agreed 200%

September 11, 2013 at 8:53 am |
      • closet atheist

Spot on..!!

We should be focused on what unites us (our country) and not what often divides us (religion, race, etc)....

September 11, 2013 at 9:32 am |
  15. I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Why are so many posts being deleted? Are we in Iran?

September 11, 2013 at 1:25 am |
    • Oh and I can see Daniel waving goodbye God it looks like Daniel, must be the clouds in my eyes

September 11, 2013 at 1:27 am |
    • Ave atque Vale

Perhaps Daniel thinks that he's removing off-topic posts. It's really a slap in the face (and quite infuriating) to posters who might have spent a great deal of time, thought and typing on these messages.

Maybe they could put up a Belief Blog Annex or something and move "off-topic" posts there...?

September 11, 2013 at 1:38 am |
    • tallulah13

While I agree wholeheartedly with the deletion of LL's video spam and the posts that are pure nonsense, it seems that Daniel often throws out the baby with the bath water.

September 11, 2013 at 9:30 am |

16. Hello Daniel. Being a busy boy this evening?

September 11, 2013 at 1:22 am |
  17. Pam's So Called Doctors

My dearest Pam:

Here are the qualifications of your so-called competi.tors with Dawkins and the like:

John Carson Lennox is a British mathematician and philosopher of science who is Professor of Mathematics[1] at the University of Oxford. He is a Fellow in Mathematics and Philosophy of Science at Green Templeton College, Oxford University. He is also Pastoral Advisor of Green Templeton College and Fellow of Wycliffe Hall (from wiki)

Alister Edgar McGrath (born 23 January 1953) is a British Irish theologian, priest, intellectual historian and Christian apologist, currently Professor of Theology, Ministry, and Education at Kings College London and Head of the Centre for Theology, Religion and Culture.[1] He was previously Professor of Historical Theology at the University of Oxford, and was principal of Wycliffe Hall, Oxford, until 2005. He has also taught at Cambridge University and is a Teaching Fellow at Regent College. McGrath holds two doctorates from the University of Oxford, a DPhil in Molecular Biophysics and a Doctor of Divinity in Theology. He is an Anglican and is ordained within the Church of England.

I think it was Phillip Johnson, author of the famous "Darwin On Trial" years ago who said that an "expert who speaks outside of his or her field is just another opinion."

Gee, Pam...you would have done better with Michael Behe and he's been shown to not be a very good scientist.

September 11, 2013 at 1:03 am |
  18. Portland tony

As often as I say the "Pledge of Allegiance", I think it was 30 years ago in the 8th grade, it could read "One nation under foot" for all I care!

September 11, 2013 at 12:37 am |
  19. Reality

5747 comments and counting but the topic has been removed from CNN Headline News so there will be no record. But it once again showed that atheism is here to stay as religion is being steadily replaced by rational thinking.

September 10, 2013 at 11:32 pm |