home
RSS
September 9th, 2013

Fox News host: Atheists 'don't have to live here'

By Daniel BurkeCNN Belief Blog Co-Editor
[twitter-follow screen_name='BurkeCNN']

(CNN) - Fox News pundit Dana Perino said she's "tired" of atheists attempting to remove the phrase "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, adding, "if these people really don't like it, they don't have to live here."

The co-host of Fox's "The Five" was referring to a suit brought by the American Humanist Association in Massachusetts, where the state's Supreme Judicial Court heard a challenge to the pledge on Wednesday.

The group's executive director, Roy Speckhardt, called the suit "the first challenge of its kind," but Perino begged to differ.

Perino, who was White House press secretary for George W. Bush from 2007-2009, said she recalled working at the Justice Department in 2001 "and a lawsuit like this came through."

The former Bush spokeswoman added that "before the day had finished the United States Senate and the House of Representatives had both passed resolutions saying that they were for keeping ‘under God’ in the pledge."

"If these people don't like it, they don't have to live here," Perino added.

David Silverman, president of the American Atheists, called Perino's comments "bigotry."

"I, for one, am tired of those Christians, like Ms. Perino, who think that equality is somehow un-American," Silverman said. "If Ms. Perino doesn't like being only equal, it is she who will have to leave America to some other country that doesn't value religious liberty."

READ MORE: Famous Atheists and Their Beliefs

In 2002, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with atheist Michael Newdow who argued that the words "under God" in the pledge amounted to an unconstitutional government endorsement of religion. The Supreme Court overturned that ruling.

Congress added the words "under God" in 1954 amid the red scare over the Soviet Union. In November 2002, after the Newdow ruling, Congress passed a law reaffirming "under God" in the pledge.

Greg Gutfeld, another co-host on "The Five," continued the discussion after Perino, saying the Pledge of Allegiance "is not a prayer, it's a patriotic exercise. In a sense, it's basically saying: Thanks for giving us the freedom to be an atheist."

The Massachusetts case, which was brought by an unidentified family of a student at a school in suburban Boston, will be argued on the premise that the pledge violates the Equal Rights Amendment of the Massachusetts Constitution.

READ MORE: Behold, the Six Types of Atheists

It is the first such case to be tried on the state level: All previous attempts have been argued in federal court on the grounds that "under God" was an unconstitutional violation of the separation of church and state.

CNN's Kevin Conlon contributed to this report.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Church and state • Courts • Culture wars • News media • Schools • TV

soundoff (7,255 Responses)
  1. Tri0de

Religion is a mental disease. Anyone with an invisible sky friend should be kept well away from a voting booth or any opportunity to reproduce or infect innocent children.

September 9, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Freedom is all encompassing. If you don't like democracy, move to North Korea.

September 9, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
      • kwdragon

Are you pointing that out to the Fox News commentator in the article? Because you should be.

September 9, 2013 at 8:46 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Yes. I'm also pointing it out to anybody who wants to ban religion.

September 9, 2013 at 9:31 pm |
        • kwdragon

Atheists don't want to ban religion; we just don't want to have to recite a pledge to the country we love that includes a god in which we do not believe. I do not suggest any person of faith leave our country, but that is exactly what the Fox News commentator did. That, I believe, is terribly un-American.

September 10, 2013 at 7:21 am |
      • amisc

Your suggestion that anyone who wants to ban religion should move to North Korea essentially says you agree with the Fox News people who told people to leave the country. What comes next is that those who don't believe in exactly the same Christianity as you or them will be told to leave the country. Disagreement in this country has been around since its founding, so suggesting that anyone who disagrees should leave is silly. How would you feel if those who disagreed with you told you to simply leave? No one is stopping you from believing what you want, including those who don't believe. Just as you don't want their beliefs imposed on you, they don't want your beliefs imposed on them. If you don't stop telling people to leave the country, one day you may find yourself as the target of that argument.

September 10, 2013 at 8:41 am |
    • 616

I don't know a single person that believes in a "invisible sky fairy".....do you?
      And why are you such a bigot?

September 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm |
      • Bootyfunk

yes, anyone that believes in a god. belief in a god is equivalent to belief in a fairy or bigfoot or the tooth fairy. there's is the same amount of proof for all of them - zero. ask yourself why you don't believe in odin, ra or zeus.

September 9, 2013 at 8:35 pm |

Sasquatch is real.

September 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
        • 616

No...the fact is that no one on here believes in a invisible sky fairy. Only an ignorant and simple fool would use such a phrase. They are going for an emotional response instead of following a logical discourse on theology.

Ask yourself why you feel the need to defend an inaccurate statement.

September 9, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

There is no logical discourse on theology. Belief in a personal god is illogical. Deism maybe, but theism is absolutely ridiculous.

September 9, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
    • Conrad

There is room here for everyone. Before you seek to outlaw religion have a look at he human rights atrocities in China, North Korea etc. where religion is not allowed. Anytime you try to shut a group out you risk causing great harm.

September 9, 2013 at 8:39 pm |

Very true.

September 9, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
      • CTYank

Might want to research that point re China. Of course, the chicom party wants to be in charge of all religions there, but that's a separate issue.

September 9, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
      • Robert

And no one has ever killed someone because of religion, right? Excuse me while I go somewhere to fall over laughing.

September 9, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

That's irrelevant to the point he's making.

September 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
      • sativa619

So China's not Buddhist? When did this happen?

September 9, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
      • HA25

Yes Yes great examples which would be significant except that – to be nitpicky and all – you kinda fail to control for, well, ANY other variables. Those countries also are Communist, run by dictators, have significantly different economic systems, resources, geography, culture........

September 9, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
  2. QS

I believe a majority of at least those who identify as some form of Christian only do so out of obligation, for the sake of appearances.

September 9, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
    • 616

Actually, I believe a majority of at least those who identify as some form of atheism only do so out of obligation, for the sake of appearances.

This way, even though internally they know they believe in a god they can avoid the stigma of being a believer in a society full of delusional far left liberal fanatics who would turn on them in a heartbeat were they to profess their true feelings.

September 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
      • Just the Facts Ma'am...

lol, at under 3% i'm sure there are just tons of pretend atheists... what a maroon....

September 9, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
        • 616

Obviously the point of the post went well over your head.

September 9, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
        • Just the Facts Ma'am...

Nope, your amateurish attempt at comedy fell flat as you obviously have never met an atheist. I have met many and find them intelligent, logical and well read with most having a better knowledge of scripture then their Christian antagonists.

September 9, 2013 at 8:59 pm |
        • 616

Nah, you just didn't get it and that's ok.
          Actually my mother is an atheist. Wow..you suck at guessing. Maybe you should quit while your behind.

September 9, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
        • Just the Facts Ma'am...

Oh, we got a live one. The problem with your comment is that it has no point and was just taking what someone else wrote and trying to reverse it in a humorous way which failed miserably.

If you are trying to defend Christianity then answer this: Science has verified that humans did not descend from a single pair of humans and also has proven humans interbred with neanderthals about 20,000 years ago, and geologists have shown that no global flood has occurred in the last 150,000 years. This of course does not disprove God, but it certainly disproves Genesis along with Adam and Eve and thus deletes any need for a savior or ransom sacrifice.

September 9, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
        • 616

Better than being dead. It wasn't an attempt at humor. You just think it was because you (like many of the pseudo-intellectuals on here) didn't read the whole thread and jumped the gun.

I didn't try to defend christianity at all. I was merely pointing out that the first poster's feelings are irrelevant as anyone else's. All it took was to change the direction of his post some and you swallowed it hook, line and sinker and condemned it. Thsis proves that his position was pretty much worthless but you are too stubborn to admit that.

"Science has verified that humans did not descend from a single pair of humans and also has proven humans interbred with neanderthals about 20,000 years ago,"

I agree. I'm european descent and probably have 1-4% Neaderthal dna in me.

"geologists have shown that no global flood has occurred in the last 150,000 years."

Agreed.

"This of course does not disprove God,"

No, it doesn't.

"but it certainly disproves Genesis along with Adam and Eve and thus deletes any need for a savior or ransom sacrifice."

Not really in theological terms. Sin still exists in christianity, regardless of the concept of original sin.

September 10, 2013 at 1:09 pm |
      • Observer

616,
        "in a society full of delusional far left liberal fanatics"

Many of them don't believe in unicorns, talking serpents, dragons, discrimination against women, discrimination against the handicapped, beating children with rods and slavery.

No wonder you don't like them. They don't support the Bible like you do.

September 9, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
        • 616

Yep..delusional people like you. I don't support the bible. Try and pay attention.

September 9, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
        • Observer

616,

"in a society full of delusional far left liberal fanatics"

The sheer ignorance of such an encompassing statement shows you are the DELUSIONAL one. I didn't read your previous statements. That one was thoughtless enough to show what you know.

September 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm |
        • 616

So you agree that statement like, "This way, even though internally they know they don't actually believe they can avoid the stigma of being a non-believer in a society full of delusional fanatics who would turn on them in a heartbeat were they to profess their true feelings.", are basically sheer ignorance.

Good...thank you.

September 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm |
  3. us_1776

Fox, just for your information, It was the secular atheist Founding Fathers who formed the United States of America.

And this is why we have the principle of Separation of Church and State. One of the most brilliant governing concepts in the history of mankind.

September 9, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Secular deist would be more accurate.

September 9, 2013 at 8:29 pm |
    • 616

Just ignore the Christian citizenry that dominated the early United States right?

September 9, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
      • M

Not at all, just considering that the major founders were thinkers, and did not just go along with everyone else for the ride because it felt good.

September 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
        • 616

Sounds like to me that they did go with the flow....their own flow with their own people that agreed with their thinking. We are just lucky they created something that could be modified.
          I have to smile too because the Founders were thinkers alright. That why they thought it was a good idea to virtually ignore Paine when it did not suit their needs.

September 9, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
  4. Read Matthew 5:21 - for you Christian HYPOCRITES out there!

"You have heard that it was said of them of old times, 'Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment.' But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, 'Worthless!', shall be in danger of the council: but whoever says, 'You fool', shall be in danger of hell fire."

WHY CAN'T CHRISTIANS ADHERE TO THEIR SAVIOR'S COMMANDS???

September 9, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
    • 616

Are you just phishing for attention or do you have a specific person you are thinking of?

September 9, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Are you my brother in Christ?

September 9, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
      • Rett

C'mon Robert you don't think Jesus forbidding calling a Christian brother a fool but was okay with calling someone else one, do you?

September 10, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
  5. ironman59

Somehow she seems to forget that "under gawd" is not in the original pledge as it was written. Like much of the right wing jibberish it was added in the 1950's as part of the "red scare". They always seem to forget that part when they talk about the Pledge Being Changed but in this case back to it's original wording.

September 9, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
  6. Observer

There isn't any reason why any loyal American should have to include religious references in order to properly pay allegiance to our great country.

September 9, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
    • What is going on? FREEDOM

Exactly.

September 9, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
    • TY

Agreed!

September 9, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

There isn't any reason why any loyal American should have to pledge any allegiance if it requires the frequent recitation of a fairly dull phrase aimed at an inanimate object.

September 9, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Except in the armed forces.

September 9, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
    • What is the Issue?

It always intrigues me that Jack can be offended by Carl when Carl is speaking about something Jack doesn't believe in. ......O...K...??? Should I be offended with shows depicting Santa Claus? I don't believe in him. So it doesn't affect me one way or the other if you do or do not. If you started a club that I wanted to join and you said the club pledge included the phrase "Santa is jolly and fun", It would not bother me to say that because I DON'T BELIEVE IN HIM. In my world he doesn't exist, so why should it bother me to say "Santa is jolly and fun"? Silly Silly people. If you don't believe in God then anything God related should be a non-issue to you. People without direction or relevance choose the silliest arguments. Revealing anger over something you don't believe in is...well...kind of sad, really.

September 9, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Absolutely senseless argument. It should be removed because it violates the separation of church and state because secularism is necessary for the peaceful co-existence of both religious and irreligious people.

September 9, 2013 at 8:41 pm |
  7. QS

The concept of "spreading the word" is the basis for all that is wrong with religion.

Think about it...if your beliefs dictate to you that you must go around and try to "convert" people to your way of thinking in order to "save" them, your beliefs are inherently starting you off from a foundation of immediately looking down on others and seeing them as things that need to be fixed rather than as fellow humans who should not have to be made to feel guilty just because they don't believe your particular brand of delusion.

This is, as I said, the foundation for all that is wrong with religion. Even beyond how it treats gay people, religion is specifically designed to start people off in life with little regard for diversity and far too much paranoia and sus.picion of others to be truly considered anything close to resembling altruism.

September 9, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
    • M

Now that' an interesting thought.

September 9, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

They do have funky hats though. I do like a funky hat. If it wasn't for all the superst.itious BS, I'd become a bishop just for the array of hats.

September 9, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
    • Bob

Don't worry. No one wants to spread the word to you. We don't want you.

September 9, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
      • M

Oh...that's not a very christian response...or, perhaps it is and that's part of the problem.

September 9, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
    • Robert Brown

No human can save or convert you. This the work of God. We spread the good news, God does the work.

September 9, 2013 at 8:46 pm |
  8. Tom

Curiously, FOX news hosts don't have to live here either. I wonder which ones we'd be better off without?

September 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
    • What is going on? FREEDOM

Most of them probably don't. I wonder how many actually have Caribbean homes to run to.

September 9, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
  9. Lisa

To hell with FOX and their god!

September 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
  10. Paul Nay

Since the words were inserted in 54 as a response to the fear of communism, why not change the Pledge's words to "one nation under insecurity"? Just kidding – I say the pledge as I learned it in school, long before UG was put in. Anyway, the pledge was composed 40 years before I was born by a Christian Socialist, Francis Bellamy. Hope all reading this can digest that bit.

September 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Christianity and socialism? I just puked a little bit.

September 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
      • Wootings

Yeah...one of those things, at least in theory, could actually work out in the real world and be beneficial to humanity.

The other is a religion.

September 9, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Nope. If anything, socialism is more puke inducing than Christianity.

September 9, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
  11. Matthew

Christians today remind me of smokers from the 60's. There were more of them than not and they didn't care whose face they blew smoke into. Now the tide has turned, and smokers are hunkering down outside in the rain. Keep feeling superior, sooner or later you will be outside, too.

September 9, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

The anti-smoking lobby is like a more vicious, vindictive Nazi Party. They are sc.um and I wish nothing but death and destruction on them.

September 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
      • Matthew

Not saying I disagree at all, was just using it as a metaphor.

September 9, 2013 at 8:09 pm |

Fair enough.

September 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm |
      • Tri0de

Cigaretts killed my father, mother and several other loved relatives.

Shoot anyone selling, making or marketing them.

September 9, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Nope, your father, mother and relatives killed themselves, engaging in a pastime that likely gave them endless pleasure.

Shoot anybody from the anti-smoking lobby on sight.

September 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm |
    • Gina

Nice analogy. I eventually ditched Christianity because I was choking on all that smoke.

September 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
    • mountainlady

Matthew, this is the best post I've read so far today. Thanks.

September 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm |
  12. What is going on? FREEDOM

The Ancients inhabited this galaxy and created us. Get it right people.

September 9, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Xenu and the Galactic Federation, right?

September 9, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
      • What is going on? FREEDOM

What blasphemy is this!? How dare you!!

September 9, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

How dare you? Xenu will come back and destroy all of humanity's weak thetans. Hail Xenu.

September 9, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
        • What is going on? FREEDOM

May the Ori rip you a new one.

September 9, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
  13. M

First, let me start this off by saying that some of the atheist posts I find on here are completely rude, childish, and definitely sociopathic. Some of the posts, but not all.

Putting all logic, scientific, historical, and psychological arguments aside, [ersonally, having been a christian, and now being an atheist. I can honestly say that being an atheist requires far more strength than being a christian. Being an atheist means to have the strength to accept that we are responsible for our state of affairs, and no matter how good of a job we do at being "good," our ultimate reward is only the knowledge that we have helped someone else breathe a bit easier, and hopefully made the world a little bit better than the way we received it. Being a christian, on the other hand, requires very little strength because we give ourselves freely to God. There is comfort, rather than struggle, in knowing that our wrongdoings can be forgiven, that all will be "set right" in the end by God's justice. We can let go. And it's truly wonderful being among a large social community at church gatherings, so the attraction to "believe" is very strong.

So I think the phrase "under God" is just another reminder that it's ok for people to let go, to just believe – to have faith. And in that, I think there's great harm in what I know are some very honorable folks just turning a blind eye to many things, many atrocities, that are going on in the world. I wonder if christians do this knowing that their own children and grandchildren will suffer after they are gone.

September 9, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
    • cbtx67

yes, after raising my children Unitarian Universalist, the oldest child decided to convert to Christianity because it was "just easier" in this nation. IF she really felt in her heart that Jesus was her answer, I'd be happy and accept, though I would not reconvert. But the fact that its because of the rigamarole that nonchristians have to go in this country I find it sad and disturbing. If one decides on a particular faith, it should be because you are genuinely drawn to it, even humanism(where I lean), not because there are no obstacles are there for you. What if Jesus had thought there were too many obstacles and remained Jewish? (assuming he existed).

September 9, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
      • M

Exactly. It's easier to just fit in, but it's not necessarily being honest.

September 9, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
  14. Susan StoHelit

If it was, "one nation, under white people, indivisible" – would it be easier for people to get it? Not that racists had any trouble suggesting black people shouldn't live here.

It's the same thing – you can even make the same arguments – the founding fathers were white! The majority is white, aren't we a democracy! Black kids can just not say that part of the pledge.

This is just wrong, and it should be fixed, hopefully it will.

September 9, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
  15. What is going on? FREEDOM

It is time that we the people of the United States live up to our standards on equality.

September 9, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
  16. truthprevails1

How does someone like her make it out of grade school, let alone become a reporter?

September 9, 2013 at 7:56 pm |

Blowing guys?

September 9, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
  17. lksdjflkj

Modifying the pledge in the 50s was a travesty, it should be restored to its original form without delay.

September 9, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
  18. Robin Williams

One nation, under Canada . . .

September 9, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • Heather

LOL!!!! Love it! 😛

September 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
  19. Caroless

Much Ado about nothing people. Don't we have more pressing concerns?

September 9, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
    • truthprevails1

This is a belief blog...what other 'news' would you expect to find here?

September 9, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • What is going on? FREEDOM

There are always "pressing concerns" in our country. This I would believe is one of them. We are having more and more different religious and belief folks moving in or being born here. It is time we started believing in our country not God. Having the term of God in everything just makes it seem like Christianity believes it is superior then everyone else, including the nation.

September 9, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

But this one is instantaneously achievable, unlike fixing the economy or the Middle East.

September 9, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
  20. John Stefanyszyn

..."under God"....under which 'god'......under which 'god' do the American people LIVE under?
    Miss Perino, under which 'god' do you live by?
    ....is it not the 'god' of FREEDOM...freedom of self-rights, freedom of equality.....a 'FREEDOM' which does not discriminate nor show preference for any 'belief'?

Miss Perino and Mr. Silverman both worship the same 'god'....the 'god of freedom'...the 'god of fortresses'.

BUT it is ONLY Christ that will RULE as the One King according to the Will of the One Creator God and NOT according to the 'freedom will' of man....which confesses that it is right to be free to worship any 'god'.

September 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
    • allenwoll

It is obvious that the Universe was created by some agency. . THAT is all we can know for certain : END of story !

September 9, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

No, we can't be certain of it, although it can't be ruled out either. A personal god can be ruled out though, it's absolutely ridiculous.

September 9, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
      • Reflecto

Which one? CIA? NSA? DIA?

September 9, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
        • RC

I'm going with the MIB.

September 11, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
    • Mark

One nation under Lord Krishna!

September 9, 2013 at 8:25 pm |
    • eprobono

John,

That's the first question that popped into my mind - which God? It reminded me of one of my favorite quote about God:

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. – Stephen Roberts

September 9, 2013 at 8:26 pm |