home
RSS
September 9th, 2013

S.E. Cupp: `Conservative atheist' is not a contradiction

(CNN) - With "Crossfire" returning to CNN this Monday, September 9, CNN is taking a closer look into the hosts' lives with a series of Web videos.

In this first video, S.E. Cupp, a columnist, commentator and author, delves into her experiences with understanding religion and what it’s like to be an atheist and a conservative.

"To me, it never seemed like a contradiction," Cupp explains. "We have the same values," Cupp says of herself and religious believers. "I just think I get them from somewhere else."

Cupp, who has a master’s degree in religious studies, says she was always curious about religion. "I was just fascinated by the pomp and ceremony and ritual nature of religion, and yet couldn't completely get there ever; couldn't completely wrap my mind around the idea of God."

Cupp says she has been working on finding greater understanding for the last 20 years, and isn't giving up. "I want to get to the bottom of this story. It's something that I'll always be challenging myself on."

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Church and state • News media • Politics • TV

1. Bazinga

She's a Republican who won't follow the sheeple. I like her already!

September 9, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
    • Ken Margo

I wouldn't go that far. I have heard her say the same dumb things repubs say!

September 9, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
  2. Ken Margo

Cupp from time to time will offer her opinion in the Daily News here in NY. If she writes/says the same garbage on CNN. The viewers will be tired of her in no time.

September 9, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I have barley seen anything on her. The few things I have seen have been inane.

September 9, 2013 at 10:20 pm |
      • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

*barely*

September 9, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
        • Athy

Barley's better. Along with water, hops and yeast. And a little time.

September 9, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
  3. Lenny Pincus

Why would God demand you submit to Him? Is God that egomaniacal?

September 9, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
  4. Blessed are the Cheesemakers

What kind of atheist writes a book complaing about anti-christian bias in the media? I question her motives.

September 9, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
    • Lenny Pincus

She seems smug, self-congratulatory, and self-satisfied. Certainly not somebody on a quest for knowledge.

September 9, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
  5. Akira

"Crossfire" was fun when Tucker Carlson was on it. That guy used to crack me UP.

September 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Best Crossfire ever.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fam5wRXcoQE&w=640&h=360]

September 9, 2013 at 4:32 pm |
      • niknak

He also made some great music, in addition to being a fact on political pundit.

The only thing that has derailed the religious theocracy trajectory that this nation was headed for when he made that appearance is greed.

When it comes to money, all bets on god are off.

September 9, 2013 at 5:16 pm |
        • lol?? Pithiest, YES!!

The force behind yer "religious theocracy trajectory " said,
          "Isa 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.".......................He has mucho volunteers.

September 9, 2013 at 9:49 pm |
      • loudmusic

Yes, Virginia...there IS a conservative atheist. There are also albino alligators. Nature plays its little tricks sometimes.

September 10, 2013 at 2:06 am |
  6. K-switch

I know an atheist who votes rebublican simply because he loves guns. Blasted single issue voters.

September 9, 2013 at 4:15 pm |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Good for him. I'd vote Republican before I'd vote Democrat, although I'd cut my d!ck off before I'd vote for either of them.

September 9, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
    • Ken Margo

It isn't being single issue voter being the problem. It's the lack of total understanding of the single issue, that's the problem.

September 9, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
      • Jericho

Yep. Nailed it.

September 9, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
  7. Lionly Lamb

Grass – The History of Marijuana (Narrated By Woody Harrelson)

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpDKfj7X8A0&w=640&h=360]

September 9, 2013 at 3:53 pm |

Godless Vagabond
      Oh, for shit sake, Lion. Stop the off-topic videos. We get the message, already. Now lay off.

September 9, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
  8. Lionly Lamb

Do you believe in the Big Bang..? Do you then believe this universe we are in was creatively established by the Big Bang..? If you do believe then we live within a Big Bang Universe... Here's the quirk... Just how many Big Bang Universes would it take to fill up the infinite vastness of Extreme Nothingness..?

September 9, 2013 at 3:33 pm |
    • niknak

We don't know Cowardly Lion, but that still does not mean it is god(s).

September 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm |

Godless Vagabond
      The answer is 17. Prove me wrong.

September 9, 2013 at 3:38 pm |
      • Lionly Lamb

The limiting of the unlimited infinities of Big Bang Universes to just 17 is but a childish synopsis... Grow out of it for Pete's sake...

September 9, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
        • Pete

Oh, but the drivel you write is anything but a childish attempt to appear intellectual? Grow out of it for my sake...

September 9, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
        • niknak

Why not 17 Cowardly Lion?
          Or 6, or 135?

When you are just making stuff up, then it could be any number.

And that is all you are doing CL, just making stuff up.

September 9, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
    • Reality

If there were a god, he/she/it and/or spirit would not tolerate the stupidity of Beck, Robertson, the Grahams, Rauf, Patel et. al. thereby proving there is no god. Ditto for all others who consider natural disasters as being the work of some god.

And think infinity and recycling with the Big Bang expansion followed by the shrinking reversal called the Gib Gnab and recycling back to the Big Bang repeating the process on and on forever. Human life and Earth are simply a minute part of this chaotic, stochastic, expanding, shrinking process disappearing in five billion years with the burn out of the Sun and maybe returning in another five billion years with different life forms but still subject to the v-agaries of its local star.

September 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
  9. bostontola

Conservative atheist, a person who doesn't believe in god(s) and doesn't think the consti;tution is a play thing. I see no fundamental conflict in principle.

September 9, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
    • niknak

I agree, but after almost 30 years of working with conservatives, I have yet to meet one that was an atheist.
      Must be more of them, but they must be pretty rare.

September 9, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

They are plentiful, I assure you.

September 9, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
        • niknak

Why, have you cut your d ick off and voted Repub?

September 9, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Nope, although I might have to if it keeps Clintonette out in 2016.

September 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm |

Godless Vagabond
      My observations lead me to conclude that low IQ, conservatism, and religious belief go hand in hand in hand.

September 9, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Nope.

September 9, 2013 at 4:06 pm |

Godless Vagabond
          Are you questioning my observations, or just don't agree with me?

September 9, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Both.

September 9, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
        • niknak

From many years of observing the fundie in his native habitat, I agree with the homeless guy's observations.

September 9, 2013 at 4:40 pm |

Godless Vagabond
          Well, then, I question your questioning.

September 9, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

You do that.

September 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm |
    • Jericho

Oh, I see, the common stupid thought that liberals don't support the Constitution. Guess what? We do, especially the part where it says separation of church and state.
      I can't stand that morons still think that only conservatives support the USConst. Untrue, spurious, and stupid.
      And I used the 1st Amendment's right to free speech. Will you look at that.

September 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
      • NeilV

Conservatives support a conservative reading of the const .itution, which would basically limit rights to white males. Every right that women, non-whites, the handicapped and gays ever got in this country came from a liberal reading of the Const.itution.

September 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
        • Jericho

Hell yeah!

September 9, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Absolute horse crap.

September 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
  10. Lawrence of Arabia

Unfortunately, she can study religions as a purely academic exercise all her life and never bridge the gap between the intellect and the conscience. She may learn about traditions and rituals if that is her desire, but true faith isn't about traditions, it isn't about rituals, and it isn't about performing any kind of works or righteous service – all of those are nothing but filthy rags... dung... If she is to "get to the bottom of the story" as she puts it, then she has to start small. She needs to look into the mirror of the 10 Commandments that show her who and what she truely is – a broken, unruly sinner who has violated the righteousness of God by her wicked deeds. (and all of humanity is in the same boat) If then she desires reconciliation, then the Gospel shows her how a helpless sinner can be reconciled to a righteous God. Not through her good works, but through her submission to a Holy God who has done the "works" of reconciliation for her.

September 9, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

LofA
      "a broken, unruly sinner who has violated the righteousness of God by her wicked deeds. (and all of humanity is in the same boat)"

How truly sad your religion makes you believe that. Truly sad.

September 9, 2013 at 3:25 pm |
    • ME II

@Lawrence of Arabia,
      Is it humility you preach, or Stockholm syndrome?

September 9, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
      • Lawrence of Arabia

Humility. True humility begins with recognizing that we all have a bent to do evil from birth. As I said, it is our natures that are corrupt.

September 9, 2013 at 3:34 pm |

Godless Vagabond
          Speak for yourself, Larry. You don't know that about everyone else.

September 9, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

Really? So there is someone on this earth who has never told a lie? Never stolen anything? Never taken the name of God and used it in place of a 4-letter filth word to express disgust? Never lu.sted or h.ated anyone? Only a perfect man can obey the law perfectly, and if he has broken any one of the commandments, he has become guilty of the law.

September 9, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
        • Ken

Yet, we also do a lot of good, so the most you can argue is that our natures are partially corrupt, right?

September 9, 2013 at 3:47 pm |

Godless Vagabond
          No, there probably isn't. But you yourself cannot know that for certain. So don't say so; your credibility is suspect.

September 9, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

Well, the idea of a corrupt nature doesn't mean that man is "utterly depraved," meaning that every human being is as bad as he could possibly be, but rather, as a consequence of the fall of humanity into sin, every person born into the world is under the control of his sin nature – that the sin infects his whole being, his mind, his body, and his will.

September 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
        • niknak

Not me you religious fool.
          You bought into that cr ap, not the rest of us.
          I was not born into sin, nor do I even believe in sin.

So again, F you and your stupid imaginary friend.

September 9, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
        • ME II

@Lawrence of Arabia,
          "True humility begins with recognizing that we all have a bent to do evil from birth. "

That is not humility, that is self-loathing. Anyone who thinks that they are evil by nature is not humble, but emotionally troubled.

September 9, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
        • Pete

Larry, YOU'RE a sinner. YOU are broken. YOU are unruly. One thing about your humility: you have none. Your projection of your own wicked acts upon whole groups of people who you will never know is absurd. Your nature in see the worst of everyone is what is corrupt. Seek help for your delusions, and I'm not talking about your faith in God.

September 9, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

"self-loathing," EXACTLY! Look at it like this, if you commit a crime, there is either a fine to pay, or you go to jail, but whether you pay a fine or do the time, the point is that they are attempting to correct the infraction. Inherent in the system is the desire to reform the one who broke the law that not only will they not do the crime again, but that they will not desire to do the crime again, in a word, repentance. In a similar way, when we break God's law – don't lie, don't steal, don't lust, etc., and we see ourselves in the mirror of God's law, and the justice behind it, we begin to see ourselves for who and what we are, criminals. That's not something to be in love with.

Actually the self-esteem movement has been so damaging to so many people because it tells them that their ego shouldn't be damaged, and no matter what happens, they were a victim of some kind, its not their fault.

Augustine said it best when he said "Within myself there is a love which loves the good, and there is a love which loves the evil, but the best thing that I can say about myself is that I hate the love which loves the evil..."

September 9, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
        • In Santa we trust

Studies haved shown that babies as young as 3 months know right from wrong and tend to prefer right. So we're not born with evil and we don't need religion to have a moral compass.

September 9, 2013 at 4:09 pm |

Godless Vagabond
          Don't judge everyone by yourself, Lawrence. Isn't that one of your religion's tenets?

September 9, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

Of course, but the point is that if they did not have a sin nature, then they would never do the wrong, but obviously they do. To think that man has within himself the ability to never do any wrong of any kind of his own volition is Pelagianism.

September 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
        • ME II

@Lawrence of Arabia,
          That view is disgusting, I think.
          To promote self-hatred is, if I believed in such, evil. At least Augustine qualified it with hating that within that loves evil, not hate myself.
          You portray a situation in which all are evil from birth and don't deserve love even form oneself... disgusting.

September 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

Ummm, I never said to hate the whole being, but that portion of the self that tends to wickedness. Neither did I say that it is right to "self-love" or "self-esteem" as it is called today. Self-esteem AND hating the whole self are equally disastrous.The best that we can do is recognize that man has a nature that tends to corruption, and desire to change that. You find wrong in that?

September 9, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

Well, I'm outta here for the day, have fun! This is a pretty good summation of what I was talking about in the corruption of the nature in case anyone was curious... Galatians 5:16-24

September 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm |
        • Pete

Yeah, yeah, Augustine made sure he had all the pleasure he could obtain before rewuiring everyone start hating themselves. Do you know Augustine at all? A bigger hypocrite never lived.
          Please.
          What a truly retarded, bass ackwards attitude.

September 9, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
        • ME II

@Lawrence of Arabia,
          self- loathing is hatred of oneself, is it not?

Even Augustine acknowledges that part tends to good and part to bad. I have no problem with that as the survival instinct and the drive to reproduce are often in conflict with empathy and cooperation.

Understanding and admitting ones own weaknesses is fine and healthy, but the lengths that you and apparently your God want to take is... disgusting.

September 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
        • Ken

Lawrence of Arabia
          It seems that Adam and Eve would have already been under that control of sin then because they chose to disobey, just like we supposedly do nowadays. If not, then this "sin nature" simply isn't all that different than saying that we sometimes act selfishly by nature, which is something entirely explainable by evolution.

September 9, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
    • niknak

"Submission to a holy god"

F you and your submissive god bull.

You are nothing but a fool if you believe in that.

September 9, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
      • Lawrence of Arabia

"The fool has said in his heart there is no God..."

September 9, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
        • niknak

Then prove your god Larry of Aruba.

We have been asking your believers for years to do that, and as of yet, you believers can't provide anything except quotes from your various books of magic spells.

September 9, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
        • Just the Facts Ma'am...

"The fool has said in his heart there is no God..."
          but the wise man has studied and found no actual evidence for any gods, thus reaches no conclusion and continues the quest for knowledge.

September 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

And I keep giving evidence in the form of nature and fulfilled prophecy, but the usual response is something along the lines of "If God will open up the sky and say 'Hi,' then I'll believe..."

September 9, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
        • Richard Cranium

a self affirming passage in a book that allegedly tells people to love one another and not judge others, calls everyone who does not believe the book fools.

That says a lot about your book.

September 9, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Ordering a steak and then declaring that a steak is coming...is not prophacy.

September 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
    • George

With that outlook on life, what a pitiful existence you must lead.

September 9, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

=>"what she truely is – a broken, unruly sinner who has violated the righteousness of God by her wicked deeds."

What an awful religion you have there Lawrence. It teaches that people are nasty, rotton, slimy, good-for-nothing parasites that don't deserve the "love" of father. If I taught my children the message your religion teaches its followers, it would be considered abuse.

Your religion provides the disease and then offers the cure. What a sick, sick display of "morality". Disgusting.

September 9, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
    • Savior

A conservative who only picks parts of conservatism and wants to be liberal otherwise is a RINO. She just secretly wants to get away with her fornicating lifestyle.

September 10, 2013 at 11:21 am |
  11. Pee Splatter

If I could, I really would splatter on her glasses.

September 9, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
    • Pee Splatter

I would need to work out the logistics....

September 9, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
  12. fred

MEII
    That would go against the ways of God as working in the cursed ground was the consequence for rejecting the way of God for the way of man (Adam and Eve story)
    In the New Testament we see: "For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”
    Jesus added a layer in that we are to work as onto the Lord i.e. do your best as if you were doing it for God not your earthly task master

September 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
    • fred

Ignore, wrong place.

September 9, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
      • niknak

How could that have any meaning regardless of where you wanted to post it?

Sorry you did not get the memo ready Freddy, but your book of magic spells is all worthless drivel.

September 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
        • fred

You would do well to follow the principles of the Bible even if you hate God and the Bible. Truth is truth regardless of your opinion.
          No matter what line of work you are in if you work as you would for God out of your love for God you would be the most productive employee possible. You would excel at what you do and work tirelessly. You would not be working for money or other rewards that do not last but permanent riches. People would be blessed as a result of your work.
          All this would happen regardless if God did or did not exist in the final tally (death). All this happens because it is a truth regardless if the Bible got it right or wrong.
          Moses smashed armies because he and his people believed. If it turns out God was a myth the result remains as does the truth.

September 9, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
        • niknak

You are such a fool ready Freddy.
          I would not waste my time "believing" in your god, or your lifestyle.

September 9, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
        • fred

You can waste your time as you wish but that would never be as productive as work out of passion.

September 9, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
        • fred

With the right passion you may change the world someday as Christ did (the change happened whether you believe or not). Truth; Christ impacted your life regardless of your opinion or belief

September 9, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
        • Ken

fred
          I don't believe in Christ, but I am all too aware that the people who do believe in him are real. I don't think that many would deny that Christianity has impacted world history and society, but we can argue as to the degree of positive influence it has had.

September 9, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
        • fred

Ken
          There is a difference between what is bunched up as Christianity and what Christ brought into reality. Christianity springing out of the various Christian religions reflect more of man than they do of the reality Christ brought. Religions like the Church of England or the Roman Catholic Church were corrupted by politics and the local government to the extent the Holy Spirit could hardly be visible to an unbiased outside observer. But, this is what man has done to the truth since the beginning. The impact of the church that is not measurable is that focus on accountability, eternal accountability, for actions that produce heaven and hell even though the focus should have been on the love of God. We have never experienced a godless existence so it is pure speculation as to what the world would be like without God (real or imagined).

My guess or speculation is that a godless unknown existence could not possibly be better than an empty purposeless existence based on an accident that begins and ends with non existence. Talk about darkness that has never seen the light of hope eternal.

September 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
        • Ken

fred
          I see evangelicals and other born agains getting as caught up in politics as any other denomination, so I really don't see which Christians you think are above all that, unless you count the Amish.

You may speculate that life without your god would be meaningless, but there are others who would count a world without professional sports as not worth living in as well. You also have to admit that much of the meaning in your life doesn't come from your god. I assume that you have family and friends, interests, loves and other things that all add meaning to your life.

So do we, but the one thing that we do not have as atheists is the fantasy of surviving death or being some superguy's pal. If you want to count fantasies then aren't we both worse off than the guy who imagines he has superpowers, or magical ability? I'm personally quite happy dealing with just plain reality.

September 9, 2013 at 6:23 pm |

Godless Vagabond
        Even if it were in the right place, fred, it would generally be ignored. Same old bible babble.

September 9, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
        • fred

See above note to nic

September 9, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
  13. bostontola

For young people there is much less correlation between conservative and religious conservative. If you go back far enough, that was also true (Barry Goldwater was repulsed by religious conservatives).

September 9, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
  14. Judge not a book by its cover.

She looks combative!

September 9, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

She's one of the conservative commentators on the resurrected "Crossfire".

She's being paid to be a combative bloviating talking head.

This is just meant to be PR for yet more political punits on TV. (Like we really need more of them.)

September 9, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
    • Stereotype

That is the look of a liberal!!!!

September 9, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
      • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

You mean not a white, balding, obese, 60 year old man then?

September 9, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
    • Lionly Lamb

Book-covered, judgmentally sordid and robustly contrite... Eat more syllables and less consonants for a better well balanced arrhythmia toward being one's worded densities...

September 9, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
      • Simba

Try to get a word edgewise with a liberal, all you'll hear is noise and no word content.

September 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
        • doobzz

Like Bill O'Reilly?

September 9, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
      • doobzz

That would be "fewer" consonants, LL.

September 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm |

Godless Vagabond
          LL's mastery of the English language is, as everyone knows, significantly less than perfect.

September 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
        • Lionly Lamb

Proprietary wisdom I do digress upon and stand relieved...

September 9, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
  15. Ungodly Discipline

Excellent pee poll results. Thank you for participating.

For: 5
    Against: 2
    Mad: 3

September 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • Wyatt Dixon

Saying you don't care wht people do in the privacy of their bedroom isn't the same as being for, dipshit. I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. What an idiot.

Yeah, count that as a "no", bozo. Now retire this character. He's stupid.

September 9, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
      • Rodolfo

Is pee hard for you Mr. Wyatt? No worry – it happen later in lfie to many.

September 9, 2013 at 2:59 pm |

Godless Vagabond
          Could be a prostate problem.

September 9, 2013 at 3:01 pm |
        • Rodolfo

There more wrong for Mr Wyatt's besides prostate problem. He seem very mad at whole world.

September 9, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
        • Wyatt Dixon

Nope. I have no problem peeing. I just have more respect for myself and my gf than water willie games. Now fuck off.

September 9, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
        • Rodolfo

Water Willie games Mr Wyatt? Like Mr. Willie Nelson? He has very nice music but I no listen to him when I go to pool. You could listen to Miss Aretha Franklin if you want some respect in the pool but can they play music where you go to swim?

September 9, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
        • Rodolfo

I think someone pee in Mr Wyatts Wheaties in morning.

September 9, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
      • Ungodly Disciplline

Excellent pee poll results. Thank you for participating.

For: 5
        Against: 2
        Mad: 4

September 9, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
  16. Lionly Lamb

"Being in the world" while "not being of the world" is rationally differentiated from "being for the world"... Seeing the differentiation would lend one toward "believing about the world" or even "believing upon the world"... The altars of reasoning the values of the worldly becomes self-warranted based upon one's belief toward worldly acclaims... I am for the world yet am not of the world neither am I against others worldliness warranties... Civilized atheisms or even moralistic
    religiosities are to me nothing more than foreign commodities of social exchange ratios...

September 9, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
    • Translation

"I don't care."

September 9, 2013 at 2:56 pm |

Godless Vagabond
        Could also mean "I don't know."

September 9, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
  17. Sports Fan

If my size was relative to my miniature coffee cup I would be 3 inches tall.

Re: the pee poll: I say pee on each other.

September 9, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
  18. Doc Vestibule

Now let all good American Conservatives pray to Saint Reagan of Gipper, the patron saint of afternoon naps and plausible deniability.
    Should St Peter question your actions when you face his judegement at the Pearly Gates, follow the example of St. Ronnie and simply tell him that you don't recall that particular sin.

September 9, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Funny – St. Ronald the Gipper.

Do you make offerings of jelly bellys for St. Ronnie to intercede on your behalf?

September 9, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
      • Doc Vestibule

And instead of incense, you've gotta light up a Chesterfield.
        "My cigarette is the MILD cigarette. So sayeth The LORD."

September 9, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
    • lol?? Pithiest, YES!!

The Soviets were quite afraid of him, jokin' 'bout nukes and all.

September 9, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • lol?? Pithiest, YES!!

If the Big O would make a rap video about nukes his power quotient would rise substantially in the wurld.

September 9, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
  19. Pentheus

The "conservative" label can include just about anyone – the important issue is what you are trying to conserve.

Here's a thought provoking talk about Jesus arguing with RELIGIOUS people about values: http://goo.gl/NYzbml

September 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • Ken

The people that Jesus is most often thought of arguing with are the Pharisees, and they were the social and religious conservatives of their time. If Jesus were around today conservatives would label him a liberal and simply ignor anything he had to say.

September 9, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
      • Just the Facts Ma'am...

I doubt they would simply ignore him. It's more likely they would vehemently deny him and call him names and attempt to assasinate his character if not his person.

September 9, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
      • AE

I imagine Jesus would p\ss off the far-right conservatives by simply spending time with ho\mos\xuals and illegal immigrants.

September 9, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
      • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

The conservatives today would do exactly what the Pharisees did then. Crucify him for exposing their hypocrisy.

Only they'd use Fox News and Twitter. O'Reilly would call him a 'pinhead'.

September 9, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
  20. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Surely Barry Goldwater was conservative?

He was Episcopalian but he certainly did not equate political conservativism with religious affilliation.

Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.

On religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both.

I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C" and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?

And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism."

September 9, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • Just the Facts Ma'am...

"Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise." Thus we find ourselves with the least productive congress in U.S. history...

September 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
      • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

I'd say Barry Goldwater was on the money here.

September 9, 2013 at 2:36 pm |