home
RSS
September 14th, 2013

Hey atheists, let’s make a deal

Opinion by Rachel Held Evans, special to CNN

(CNN) - Famed atheist Richard Dawkins has been rightfully criticized this week for saying the “mild pedophilia” he and other English children experienced in the 1950s “didn’t cause any lasting harm.”

This comes after an August tweet in which Dawkins declared that “all the world’s Muslims have fewer Nobel Prizes than Trinity College, Cambridge. They did great things in the Middle Ages, though.”

Dawkins is known for pushing his provocative rhetorical style too far, providing ample ammunition for his critics, and already I’ve seen my fellow Christians seize the opportunity to rail against the evils of atheism.

As tempting as it is to classify Dawkins’ views as representative of all atheists, I can’t bring myself to do it.

I can’t bring myself to do it because I know just how frustrating and unfair it is when atheists point to the most extreme, vitriolic voices within Christianity and proclaim that they are representative of the whole.

So, atheists, I say we make a deal: How about we Christians agree not to throw this latest Richard Dawkins thing in your face and you atheists agree not to throw the next Pat Robertson thing in ours?

Now I’m not saying we just let these destructive words and actions go—not at all. It’s important for both believers and atheists to decry irresponsible views and hateful rhetoric, especially from within our own communities.

(Believe me. There are plenty of Christians who raise hell every time Robertson says something homophobic or a celebrity pastor somewhere says something misogynistic.)

READ MORE: Why millennials are leaving the church

But what if we resist the urge to use the latest celebrity gaffe as an excuse to paint one another with broad brushes?

What if, instead of engaging the ideas of the most extreme and irrational Christians and atheists, we engaged the ideas of the most reasonable, the most charitable, the most respectful and respected?

Only then can we avoid these shallow ad hominem attacks and instead engage in substantive debates that bring our true differences and our true commonalities to light.

It’s harder to go this route, and it takes more work and patience, but I’m convinced that both Christians and atheists are interested in the truth and in searching for it with integrity, without taking the easy way out.

Pope Francis took a step in that direction this week with a letter in a Rome newspaper responding directly to questions posed by its atheist director and inviting respectful open dialog between nonbelievers and Christians.

READ MORE: Why millennials need the church

So, yes, Richard Dawkins is an atheist. But so are authors Greg Epstein and Susan Jacoby. So is my friend and fellow blogger Hemant Mehta. So is Sir Ian McKellen. So is ethicist Peter Singer, who may or may not be the best example.

And yes, Pat Robertson is a Christian. But so is Nelson Mandela. So is acclaimed geneticist Francis Collins. So is Nobel Peace Prize winner Leymah Gbowee. So is Barack Obama. So is Stephen Colbert.

And I'm willing to bet that the same collective groan emitted by millions of Christians each time Pat Robertson says something embarrassing on TV sounds a lot like the collective groan emitted by millions of atheists when Richard Dawkins rants on Twitter.

Still, in the end, it’s not about who has the most charismatic or generous personalities in their roster, nor about who has the most “crazies.” It’s about the truth.

So let’s talk about the truth, and with the people who most consistently and graciously point us toward it.

Rachel Held Evans is the author of "A Year of Biblical Womanhood" and "Evolving in Monkey Town." Evans blogs at rachelheldevans.com, and the views expressed in this column belong to her.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Christianity • Faith

soundoff (5,916 Responses)
  1. Joe

No deal............http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundation_articles/2013/9/11/child-abuse-a-misunderstanding

September 15, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
  2. keith

No DEAL.. Science proves that GOD doesn't exist, heaven is not above the clouds "just ask NASA", GOD if real would be a murder since he/she allows the murdering of unborn children everyday......

September 15, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
    • JM

Science hasn't proven anything except that every day people learn of new things that they previously were unaware of.

God, if real, gave us all life.

September 15, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
      • EvinAR

Let science do its work and it will prove only what CAN be proven.

September 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
      • tallulah13

The first question, should we discover that god is real, would be "Which god?" And chances are the answer would be "No god that humans are capable of comprehending." I think if we discover that "god is real" we'd best lay low and hope that this god isn't paying attention, because this being might take one look at what we've done to the planet and wipe us out altogether.

September 15, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • JM

The Bible teaches God's great mercy for everyone. It teaches that all our sinners and that God loves each and every person (sinner) enough to patiently seek them. Jesus despised self-righteous religious hypocrites who look down on others (i.e., Pharisees). Good news indeed.

September 15, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
      • Bob

JM, your entirely human-written bible is actually a mishmash of things, some good and some that explcitly demand some very evil actions. Some of the finer passages from your Christian book of craziness include some horribly violent demands from your sky creature, which are part of why reasonable people should, and do, reject your religion, Just a few examples from the Christian book of horrors AKA the bible:

Numbers 31:17-18
        17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man,
        18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Deuteronomy 13:6 – “If your brother, your mother’s son or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul entice you secretly, saying, let us go and serve other gods … you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death”

Revelations 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Leviticus 25
        44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.
        45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.
        46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Note that the bible is also very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

And then, if you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations and to being taken "out of context", and has so many mistakes in it. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
        Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

September 15, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
  3. Antiquus

Hey Christians, here's a deal for you. Live up to the book you worship. Quit spewing hate, support the poor, spend your time helping instead of hurting, quit despising the homeless you drive by on your way to your new $4m church in your $70k SUV. Read the comments in the Bible about hypocrisy, it fits about 95% of you.

September 15, 2013 at 12:14 pm |
  4. g2-aa3d1145cda478669d467d6a57f7f783

How about this counter-offer? When believers stop trying to set public policy based on their religious beliefs (see: gay marriage, abortion rights, et al.), we non-believers will stop trying to stop you from setting public policy based on your religious beliefs. Deal?

September 15, 2013 at 12:12 pm |
    • doobzz

LOL, perfect.

September 15, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
  5. Seth Hill

As "Superman" makes clear, most Christians attack other Christians much more than they attack Atheists. Many Christians say other Christians are not true Christians. This puzzles me, an Atheist, because I don't know which branch of Christianity to attack.

September 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • G to the T

If you cut the root the branches will wither. That being said, I have no problem with religious belief per se, but I do get upset when people misrepresent science, history and/or textual critisism to raise beliefs to the level of "facts".

September 20, 2013 at 8:11 am |
  6. Robert

Im willing to bet that in 20 years Atheism will be very close, if not already the majority. Even here in good ole' North Carolina its a rare site to see a Christian under then age of 20 that doesn't have crazy fundamentalist parents. Religion no longer has a place in modern society, and I couldn't be happier.

September 15, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
    • Dylan

There is a big difference between atheism and not belonging to an organized religion. The majority of the people I know believe in God in some way but are frustrated with organized religion. There are definite shifts in beliefs and practices going on, but being dissatisfied with the church doesn't automatically make you an atheist.

September 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm |
      • Bob

Bit o' wishful thinking and anecdotal "evidence" there on your part I think, Dylan.Don't think the people you know make a good representative set. Religion sure does look to be on its way out, though, and that's great news.

September 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
  7. Universe

Quran says (Islamic Scripture)

“The example of Jesus, as far as GOD is concerned, is the same as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him, "Be," and he was.” Quran [3:59]

It does not befit God that He begets a son, be He glorified. To have anything done, He simply says to it, "Be," and it is. [19:35]

“No soul can carry the sins of another soul. If a soul that is loaded with sins implores another to bear part of its load, no other soul can carry any part of it, even if they were related. ... [35:18]

“They even attribute to Him sons and daughters, without any knowledge. Be He glorified. He is the Most High, far above their claims.” Quran [6:100]

“Recall that your Lord said to the angels, "I am placing a representative on Earth." They said, "Will You place therein one who will spread evil therein and shed blood, while we sing Your praises, glorify You, and uphold Your absolute authority?" He said, "I know what you do not know." [2:30]

“They say , "We live only this life; we will not be resurrected. If you could only see them when they stand before their Lord! He would say, "Is this not the truth?" They would say, "Yes, by our Lord." He would say, "You have incurred the retribution by your disbelief." [6:30]

“We have honored the children of Adam, and provided them with rides on land and in the sea. We provided for them good provisions, and we gave them greater advantages than many of our creatures.” Quran [17:70]

“O children of Adam, when messengers come to you from among you, and recite My revelations to you, those who take heed and lead a righteous life, will have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve.” Quran [7:35]

“O children of Adam, do not let the devil dupe you as he did when he caused the eviction of your parents from Paradise, and the removal of their garments to expose their bodies. He and his tribe see you, while you do not see them. We appoint the devils as companions of those who do not believe.” Quran [7:27]

“Losers indeed are those who disbelieve in meeting God, until the Hour comes to them suddenly, then say, "We deeply regret wasting our lives in this world." They will carry loads of their sins on their backs; what a miserable load! [6:31]

Thanks for taking time to read my post. Please take a moment to visit whyIslam org website.

September 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
    • Just the Facts Ma'am...

I know Islam is only 3% of America now, but as an atheist I just wanted to give equal time rejecting your religion as I do Christianity. Please take your bronze age fantasy and keep it to yourself at home just as I asked the Christians to do. It's that simple, practice as you wish... at home! But don't you dare try and pull some sharia law shlt here, trying to change our financial system so it doesn't look like you are making interest and calling them "fees" instead which of course is totally disingenuous to your own religion since it is just a loophole in your law.

September 15, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
  8. Love

Well said, Rachel.

September 15, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
  9. Seth Hill

As an atheist, I feel cheated by religious organizations. They get huge tax breaks that I don't.

September 15, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
    • Just the Facts Ma'am...

They are liars and cheaters so it's really no surprise.

September 15, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
  10. Superman

Another liberal Christian that doesn't want to confront any sins. She, like her liberal friends, just want everyone to say everything will be alright, no matter what you do or believe. And the pope, who you mentioned, also implied this same rhetoric when he suggested twice (in May and September 2013) that atheists could be saved just for listening to their conscience and living a moral life. In July, the pope, like a liberal, said "Who am I to judge them? The tendency (to h-o-m-o-s-e-xuality) isn't the problem." Isn't the whole point of the clergy to instruct people in good moral conduct and teach scripture?!?

The pope and the liberal Christian are weak Christians. They may say they have faith, but their beliefs (and actions) speak otherwise. They are trying to make Jesus' sacrifice null and void. They are trying to marginalize Jesus. They are leading others to H-e-l-l. They are false prophets! There is only one way to be saved and that is through Jesus! We, Christians, are only justified by faith and have peace with God through Jesus. We must remain in Jesus.

Jesus said, “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.”
    “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”
    “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: Love each other.”
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’ “

September 15, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
    • sybaris

I just don't possess enough self-loathing to be a Christian

September 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
    • sick of christian phonies

Just another know-it-all that thinks he knows it all. Get off the soapbox, fella, there are millions that think they have all the answers, just like you.

September 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • doobzz

"Isn't the whole point of the clergy to instruct people in good moral conduct and teach scripture?!?"

Here's how I was taught "good moral conduct" and scripture in school by clergy:

Six year old Johnny shoots a rubber band at Timmy and gets caught by Sister Immaculata. Sister Immaculata snaps Johnny hard on the cheek with the rubber band several times, then launches into a lecture about how god wants good boys and girls to act and what happens when they don't. (Any and all infractions have an accompanying story to illustrate it, in which God uses creative methods to hurt, cripple, sicken or kill bad girls and boys).

"Johnny, you have made God very angry and sad. He will punish you for disobeying me and shooting rubber bands. You know, a long time ago there was a boy named Sammy. He was just like you and kept disobeying the Sisters and Fathers in school. One day, he was shooting rubber bands at his friend, when God made one of the rubber bands hit the crucifix above the blackboard, and it hit Sammy in the eye. He was blind for the rest of his life."

Notice that the "sin" was not hurting their friend by shooting a rubber band, but that they had disobeyed God, the nuns, and the priests. I routinely disobeyed God by asking too many questions, and once by throwing up in the classroom.

Yeah, that's going to instill good moral values in a bunch of five and six year olds.

September 15, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
      • Unbelieveable

That reminded me... Good God I love me some former Catholic School girls!

September 15, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
  11. Achepotle

People seem to suggest we are going to fire up the FEMA camps on Christians...this *will not* happen if they report to the microchipping stations voluntarily....so please, no more alarmism....

September 15, 2013 at 11:59 am |
    • John P. Tarver

Christians are well armed fool.

September 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
      • doobzz

You forgot the "s" at the end of your sentence.

September 15, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
  12. am

There is a giant discrepancy between Richard Dawkins and Pat Robertson's statements. Dawkins points out that a profession that denies a man the luxury of engaging his most primal instinct will become a hotbed of pedophelia. This is a data supported fact. Robertson claims that god sends hurricanes to punish innocent families because Disney World doesn't hate gay people. If supernaturalists want to take this as a fact I guess that have that right, but.......

September 15, 2013 at 11:54 am |
    • John P. Tarver

Pastor Dawkins and pastor Roberts agree about evolution.

September 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
      • truthprevails1

So Pat Robertson believes that the Scientific Theory of Evolution is true? He doesn't believe the biblical version?

September 15, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
  13. Alfredo

Religion is a business, remove the perception of "holy books"with a God/Allah and people are either unemployed or" walking into walls" with no life direction. How sad.....

September 15, 2013 at 11:50 am |
    • mark

Poor persecuted christians. Whatever pressure or ridicule you may be enduring, you have more than earned over thousands of years of hating, torturing, and murdering those who beliefs were different because yours was the only way. You are still doing that.
      Here's MY deal:

1. END all tax exemption for every bit of church property – we are supporting your twisted "values" and we don't want to.

2. Shut up. Stop your cute little homilies and sayings and end immediately your arrogant participation in politics and government. Practice your beliefs, grow by attraction, stop bullying others and mostly mind your own business...which is NOT my business...Just shut up.

mark

September 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm |
  14. Sue

If Christians had done what Jesus told them to do they wouldn't be hated so much for their arrogance. Jesus said they should be hated for their good actions, a strong desire to live in community and to tell others. What we have now is Christians spewing forth and living out the Republican parties words & orders versus Christs. They have done it to themselves and deserve the ridicule they're currently receiving. You can't act live a bunch of mini Jerry Falwells and expect to be treated like Mother Teresas. In order to get respect you must earn it. Get Christ back into the church and stop worrying about what atheists or Dawkins thinks about you. Christ first, and the world behind you.

September 15, 2013 at 11:48 am |
    • sybaris

It cannot be proven that this Jesus guy said anything

September 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
    • Bob

Sue, unfortunately the owner's manual for your god myths actually demandss that believers like you do a lot of awful things too, alongside all the loving stuff. Better to toss out such an inconsistent doctrine altogether, I think. Toss the god fable parts and get back to the Golden Rule, which pre-dates the Christ hoopla anyway.

Also, ask yourself this: how is it again that your omnipotent being couldn't do his saving bit without the whole silly Christ hoopla? And how was Jesus' death a "sacrifice", when an omnipotent being could just pop up a replacement son any time with less than a snap of his fingers? Pretty pathetic "god" that you've made for yourself there.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

September 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
    • Bob

Sue, unfortunately the owner's manual for your god myths actually demands that believers like you do a lot of awful things too, alongside all the loving stuff. Better to toss out such an inconsistent doctrine altogether, I think. Toss the god fable parts and get back to the Golden Rule, which pre-dates the Christ hoopla anyway.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

September 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
  15. ELH

I do not believe in a god but that does not make me an atheist. Neither you nor I can prove or disprove the existence of a god (god as defined by Christianity).

I remind both sides to this argument that the First Amendment cuts both ways. We are all guaranteed the right to believe or not as we choose. I choose to not believe.

September 15, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • Just the Facts Ma'am...

This is not a first amendment issue, no one is saying that either Pat or Richard should be censored. The author is attempting to trade off the hateful and bigoted rhetoric of one of her own Christian leaders for that of an atheists person opinion on his own childhood trauma. This attempt is dishonest and disgusting, but doesn't bother Christians much since they are so used to being such.

September 15, 2013 at 11:53 am |
    • fnordz

It DOES make you an atheist. By definition.

September 15, 2013 at 11:56 am |
    • donna

If you don't believe a deity exists, you are an atheist. Why do you dislike that part of yourself so much that you would reject it?

September 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
  16. clinky

Let's understand the terms of the debate. When Jews and Christians talk about God, they don't mean a personality or thing, like Zeus or the Tooth Fairy. What they mean is not a being, like those two are, but a realm of being. God is an infinite substance, Zeus and the Tooth Fairy are not. That doesn't prove that God exists, it just distinguishes talk of God from talk of things that are completely different from God and irrelevant to the discussion.

September 15, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • G to the T

And on what are basing your version of Yahweh that makes him different from Zeus?

September 20, 2013 at 7:14 am |
      • John

"Substance"? How do you know? I know of some substance that I drop...never mind

October 11, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
  17. Proof

Hey Christians, let's make a deal. You stop spreading ignorance abroad, stop trying to insert your fairy tales in to school teaching and public policy at home and stop atheist from being a dirty word in culture and politics and we'll stop insulting your beliefs and hurting your feelings when we point out your hypocrisy. May not seem like a fair deal but if the worst things you can say about atheists are that we are angry and dismissive or that Richard Dawkins occasionally says something inappropriate

The vast majority of atheists are perfectly fine with human beings believing whatever they want, no matter how ridiculous or easily disproven. What we don't like is when those beliefs are used as an excuse to mistreat other human beings (slavery, the AIDS epidemic in Africa, women's rights, gay rights, countless other atrocities and human rights violations) and spreading ignorance and mis-education. That goes for Christianity, Islam and any other patriarchal, bronze age nonsense that impedes human progress and peaceful co-existence.

September 15, 2013 at 11:47 am |
  18. Polyrhythms

To the author:

If you are going to tackle the subject of religion vs. atheism in this country, you should provide some content. Don't just state the obvious. The article only managed to fan the flames, if the few pages of comments I read are any indication. The article ends with a plea to "talk about the truth". That should have been your starting point. The truth is, you cannot have a reasonable debate about this topic. The two sides approach the debate with different mindsets. Atheists use logic; believers use faith. The reason for that lies in the fact that our brains are wired differently. Google "God part of the brain" for more info.

Then again, stirring up this conflict once again without getting any closer to a resolution does ensure a lot of clicks (and thus a lot of ad revenue). If that was your goal, then kudos. You've done a fine job of selling more ad space. And in a few weeks, when an extremist makes the news again, you can re-write this article, publish it, and sell that much more ad space. And so on. Am I now getting closer to the truth?

September 15, 2013 at 11:45 am |
  19. joe

Those statements from Dawkins, which appear to be the whole of your ammunition for this article, are not offensive.

One is a defense of his opinions against someone trying to discredit his logic out of hand based on asserting that he is biased. The other is a factual statement – that muslims don't have many nobel peace prizes.

On the other hand, of course you can't paint every group in broad strokes. The issue with religion is that the Christians and muslims you defend are simply the least religious. It's not just a question of painting people in broad strokes or not, its that he takes issue with full Christianity. Sure, plenty of people ignore the controversial parts of what the holy books say – that doesn't make the religion less objectional, it just makes them less religious.

September 15, 2013 at 11:36 am |
    • John P. Tarver

Science discredits pastor Dawkins just as pastor Robertson's hate discredits him.

September 15, 2013 at 11:40 am |
      • BigJ

*Citation Needed

September 15, 2013 at 11:40 am |
      • Richard Cranium

Big J
        You'll not get it from this guy. Go check out his facebook page under the same name. Conspiracy theories, childish rants, non-stop name calling he thinks is clever. Seriously, go check it out. Great for a laugh, but you will never get any straight answers from him.

September 15, 2013 at 11:43 am |
      • Just the Facts Ma'am...

He keeps repeating his lie with no verification because he knows the religious morons love lies. They eat them as frequently as they can until they are near exploding with acidic hate filled vomitous verbal diarrhea.

September 15, 2013 at 11:47 am |
  20. ironman59

Hey christians. Why don't you just keep to yourselfs instead of trying to infiltrate every aspect of society. This is a secular nation & government despite what you may think. Quit whining about "gawd" being taken out of the pledge of allegiance beacuse it was never there in the first place. Quit whining about prayer in school when there are an uncounted number of churches in every town. Quit trying to put your fairytales into secular law the prevents teens from getting birth control & then complaining about abortions or social aid when they get pregnant. In other words, keep your archaic fairytales to yourself and let the secular world live it's own life.

September 15, 2013 at 11:30 am |
    • John P. Tarver

Your objection is with the gun nuts who wrote the bill of rights, for it is their social engineering that made this nation the way you dislike it.

September 15, 2013 at 11:38 am |
      • Just the Facts Ma'am...

There were no gun nuts who wrote the Bill of Rights.

I don't think anyone would call a person a gun nut because they owned one or maybe even two long barrel black powder rifles...

I believe the gun craziness that has taken over parts of America would be shocking and disappointing to those who wrote the bill of rights, as it was never their intention to allow small individual armies so as to fight against the American regular army. To those who say we should have the ability to overthrow any tyrants or despots who attempt to install themselves as King, we lost that ability some time during the first world war. By then military tech had grown to advanced for the regular citizenry. No matter how many legal guns you stockpile at your Arkansas hide out you will never be able to match even the tiniest fingernail of the American military, so why not just keep a hunting rifle and leave the military preparedness to the military.

September 15, 2013 at 12:06 pm |