home
RSS
September 20th, 2013

Conservatives 'disturbed' by pope's remarks

By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-editor

(CNN) - “Rain on parched land.”

“A bold new course.”

“Revolutionary.”

That’s how liberal Catholics responded to the stunning interview published Thursday in which Pope Francis bluntly said the church shouldn’t be “obsessed” with culture war issues like abortion and gay marriage.

“It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time,” the pope said, warning that the church's moral foundations will fall "like a house of cards" unless it strikes a "new balance" between preaching the gospel and taking stands on divisive issues.

How did conservative Catholics, the church’s most ardent culture warriors, react?

“I’ll be honest; I was disturbed,” writes Matthew Archbold in the conservative National Catholic Register.

“While it's clear that the pope is not changing church teaching, he is clearly changing the emphasis. The pope with a few words has unsettled so much.”

Archbold said that he’s concerned that the pope's words will be used against anti-abortion activists and opponents of gay marriage in the United States.

But after thinking and praying about the pope's remarks, Archbold said, he decided that being unsettled may not be "such a terrible thing."

"I think the pope was reminding us that we're a religion of 'yes.'"

MORE ON CNN: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

Before the release of Thursday’s interview, Bishop Thomas Tobin of Rhode Island said he was “disappointed” that Francis had not spoken much about abortion. On Friday, Tobin welcomed the pope’s comments, but said it won’t change his focus.

“I have spoken out clearly about the dignity of all human life and the nature of holy matrimony as designed by God and will continue to do so whenever the situation warrants,” Tobin said. “It is a demand of the Gospel.”

The bishop also said, however, that he appreciates the new pope’s “balanced and inclusive” approach.

Other conservative Catholics said the media and liberals had misconstrued the pope’s remarks, made in a 12,000-word interview published Thursday in 16 Jesuit journals around the world.

“The pope is a reformer, but not a revolutionary,” Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, told CNN’s Chris Cuomo.

“This is the problem with the left," Dohonue continued, "they are trying to take what the pope said and then run with it.”

Donohue, a caustic and sometimes controversial critic of people he perceives as anti-Catholic, said the pope’s remarks won’t silence him.

“There’s nothing the pope said that should give relief to people who say all of a sudden now that conservatives should shut up,” Donahue said. “We’re not going to shut up because we’re in consonant compliance with what the pope said. “

After all, conservatives say, it’s not like the pope changed Catholic doctrine in Thursday’s interview.

To underscore that point, the conservative blog Rorate Caeli posted a lengthy quote from the pope’s meeting with Catholic gynecologists on Friday in which he strongly denounced abortion.

“Each child who is unborn, but is unjustly condemned to be aborted, bears the face of Jesus Christ, bears the face of the Lord,” the pope said, according to Rorate Caeli’s translation. “They cannot be discarded, as the `culture of waste’ proposes.”

Father John Zuhlsdorf, a conservative Catholic blogger, said the pope urged Catholics to find a “new balance” between their moral and political missions. He didn’t say they should surrender the culture wars.

“I think that Francis thinks that constant correction and condemnation does more harm than good,” Zuhlsdorf wrote on his blog.

“Francis said `all the time," Zuhlsdorf said."He did not say `we should not talk about these things.’"

MORE ON CNN: The pope said what? Six stunners from Francis

Other conservatives said the pope's remarks are “nothing new.”

"The pope is not in any way proposing that the church should abandon important moral and social teachings,” said Ashley McGuire of the Catholic Association.

"Rather, the pope is reaffirming a longstanding teaching that reaches all the way back to the founding of Christianity: love your neighbor.”

And while most liberals praised the pope’s bold new vision, some took issue with his remarks about women’s role in the church.

“We have to work harder to develop a theology of women in the church,” Francis said in Thursday's interview.

“Breaking news, Pope Francis: There is already a profound theology of women," said Sister Maureen Fielder, a Catholic nun and longtime advocate of women’s ordination in the Catholic Church.

“There are libraries of feminist theology just waiting for you, and others, to dive in.”

Fielder said she likes the new pope, but she thinks he “sorely needs a course in feminist theology.”

For the most part, however, liberals praised Francis.

Under previous popes, liberal Catholic nuns, politicians and theologians were castigated by church leaders, said John Gehring, a writer and advocate at the group Faith in Public Life. Now “the air is starting to clear,” he said.

“Pope Francis is rescuing the Catholic Church from those grim-faced watchdogs of orthodoxy who in windowless rooms reduce Catholicism to a laundry list of nos,” Gehring said.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Culture wars • Faith • Gay marriage • Pope Francis

soundoff (1,798 Responses)
  1. Apple Bush

A blind worm is not concerned about rainbows.

Also, you are forced to worship a tyrant or burn for all eternity. Not for me. Not fair.

September 20, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • Topher

Apple Bush

"A blind worm is not concerned about rainbows."

???

"The biggest problem with religion (besides the obvious) is that it is unfair. Not everyone gets to play. If natives in South American can't participate, then I won't either. Not fair."

Good news, dude. Natives in South America get to participate.

September 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
      • Apple Bush

Topher, please don't destroy the last few aboriginals left on the planet like you Christians killed off all the rest! Please! I am sorry I said anything.

You might understand the "rainbow" line if you were not an ignoramus. See how you always prove my point?

September 20, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
  2. Hell and destruction are never full

ALL RISE!!

Gen 28:14 And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.

Now when you get done debating the meaning of "is", "seed", "families" and "shalt", you might make some progress on "blessed".

September 20, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
  3. Reality

Only for the new visitors to this blog–

Francis noted:

“It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time,” the pope said, warning that the church's moral foundations will fall "like a house of cards" unless it strikes a "new balance" between preaching the gospel and taking political stands on divisive issues."

The cards are already falling and will continue to fall into a permanent abyss as rational thinking finally rules the globe.

Bottom line: THERE IS NO GOD !!!

September 20, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
    • Hell and destruction are never full

On what beach bottom did you draw that line??

September 20, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • abdullua obllllongottta

We are nothing but cosmic dust, yes? We are the best the earth has to offer. What a sorry bunch of saps. Sorry, you believe in your fairy tale, I will believe in mine. I want to debate the finer points of cheese with Abe Lincoln on a cloud while playing a harp. Funny how you think iPhones and the internet are a better basis of establishing rules and laws vs a 2000 year old book (which means, ahem...it has withstood the test of time). Now float away, dust. Go solve the problem of energy being depleted frrom the Universe. Check your drawers.

September 20, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
  4. Joseph Bleaux

Conservatives will be the death of this country with their backward policies and their bigotry. When will people wake up and see that?

September 20, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
  5. weedouthate

For over two thousand years, humankind has used religious doctrine to justify arguments, crusades, and even holocausts, not realizing that the ultimate threat facing us individually and collectively are the implanted weed seeds of hatred ready to germinate at any given time under the right conditions. The time has come to begin tapping our roots by illuminating the deep roots of the holy verses directly in the spiritual level they had been heavenly inspired and written. The time has come to concern ourselves with the removal of limitations hindering the reconnection of our souls. The time has come to root out hate itself.

I have a dream to present the white house gardens with a commemorative pear tree surrounded by a patch of weeds. Children from all over the world would be invited to weed out hate for themselves, their countries and the planet. Every time a child learns to weed with this kind of intention a spiritual color comes to life within the sensation for the very first time. Just imagine the kind of high definition picture of the inner ecology of the spirit that could be perceived by all of us if the president were to ask every child on the planet to weed out hate in one televised TV Moment. Humanity would begin to feel the inner ecology of the spirit that unites versus harping on the external colors that divides.

From nature’s perspective, the lifespan of a human being is as short as a bolt of lightening, while a godly moment can be perceived to last an eternity. As a result of this global heavenly moment, humankind would develop a taste for the possibilities of the future, in which hate would become a relic of the past.
    The inner rainbow with its five colors: red, yellow, green, blue and violet, fading into white light, would begin to be revealed to all of us. The heavenly garden would become just a few heart beats away.

September 20, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
    • STERILIZEALL

All is a dream. Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists.

September 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
  6. Mark

The more the Pope speaks, the more I LOVE this guy!! He faces the world as it is, diversified. Very much unlike the Republicans who want it all their way, my way, no one elses way, only about me me me me me me me....and you better be just like me me me me or I will just take my toys and go home.

September 20, 2013 at 5:21 pm |
  7. Apple Bush

Go now and tell the fools the truth of their misplaced worship.
    Speak loudly that religion is the true great evil on this Earth.
    This Evil affects every plant and animal the Mother gave us.

Tell them and care not if they are vulgar, for you are the light.
    The Atheists must rise now and prepare the planet for the future.
    In the future, religion will be tolerated but reduced to a fringe group.

September 20, 2013 at 5:21 pm |
    • Enjoy!

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmrevhzVcD8&w=640&h=360]

September 20, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

I don't understand how to play the video...

September 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
  8. Valerie

The catholic church and the pope are fools. After being a catholic for over 20 yrs, I'm so glad I'm out of there.

September 20, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
    • Apple Bush

Yes, we atheists are allowed to do anything we wish. Welcome.

September 20, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
      • james

If I was still gambling I would bet she is not one of your group either.

September 20, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

What happened Valerie? Are you a 20 something that is unconfirmed or are you an older convert who lost her faith. Why?

September 20, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
      • Valerie

I didn't lose my faith. I woke up to the catholic church being a false one.

September 20, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • Bill Deacon

What happened Valerie or are you a 20 something that is unconfirmed or are you an older convert who lost her faith. Why?

September 20, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
      • Apple Bush

Oooh Bill, puttin' the moves on!

September 20, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
      • Valerie

I tried to reply to your comment below, but it wouldn't let me, so I'll do it from here 🙂 You said in part, "'m always curious though about people who were devout at some point and subsequently left." Are you catholic?

September 20, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • OKfine

Valerie. Ignore BD he will try to steer you into the RCIA for advanced brain washing, resist.

September 20, 2013 at 5:16 pm |
      • Valerie

No one could win me to the RC. IT is false and if he is in it he needs to get out.

September 20, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
        • OKfine

One thing you do not have to worry about BD he would rather get into your purse than into your p.........

September 20, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
        • Bill Deacon

Doesn't seem like we'll be allowed to have a decent conversation. So I'll just say God bless. I'm always curious though about people who were devout at some point and subsequently left.

September 20, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
        • OKfine

BD jumping to conclusions, being brain washed is not the same as being devout, thought you, the sinner that you are, would know that.

September 20, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
        • Bill Deacon

Well, that's part of my curiosity. If she was simply acquiescing or allowing herself to be controlled then, yes, she probably didn't need to keep that up. Point being, I rarely meet anyone who was truly a devout confirmed Catholic who permanently leaves the faith. They may get mad and quit showing up until they need last rites or they may move to another faith because the priest made the angry but seldom do people leave for sound theological reasons if they ever grasped them at all.

September 20, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
        • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Bill, I'm a bit surprised you would say this.

You don't see people who leave because of the dogma – deciding that original sins, virgin births, resurrections from the dead, ascensions, assumptions, transubstantiations, miracles, pantheistic monothesim etc – are all bunk and simply leave not only the church but religion altogether?

September 20, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
        • james

JW halls are filling up with past members of catholic church because of their theological beliefs and because they believe they should "get out of her" but if you are catholic you probably do not understand that verse.

September 20, 2013 at 6:07 pm |
      • OKfine

But only the elite and superior such as yourself go to the trouble of following the catechism to the letter. BD are you not just making up for pasts sins and can not live without the illusion of redemption.

September 20, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
  9. Roberto

I wholeheartedly agree. Conservatives are 'disturbed'. There are doctors for that.

September 20, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
    • Apple Bush

What if the doctor is a disturbed conservative?

September 20, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
  10. dfgsdvfgwy456456365

TO DAY NORTH AMERICAN AGENCIES KILL 376 CHILD.

ITALIAN X MAFIA AGENTINE AGENCIES ARE PAYNG TO KILL PEOPLE.

EXPLOTING THEYR ORGANS.

ANOTHER AGENCIES IRRADIATE VENEZUELANS TROUGTH THEY EYES.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRpgiorg.weebly.comRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRpgior.blog.comRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

TO DAY NORTH AMERICAN AGENCIES KILL 376 CHILD.

EXPLOTING THEYR ORGANS.

ANOTHER AGENCIES IRRADIATE VENEZUELANS TROUGTH THEY EYES.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRpgiorg.weebly.comRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRpgior.blog.comRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

TO DAY NORTH AMERICAN AGENCIES KILL 376 CHILD.

EXPLOTING THEYR ORGANS.

ANOTHER AGENCIES IRRADIATE VENEZUELANS TROUGTH THEY EYES.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRpgiorg.weebly.comRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRpgior.blog.comRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

September 20, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
    • person

Someone needs a chill pill!

September 20, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
      • Joseph Bleaux

Yep, chill pill, like a megadose of Valium. You're a psycho dude.

September 20, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
        • Joseph Bleaux

The original poster, not you person.

September 20, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
    • Hiram57

Someone needs to be tackled, held down, and given their Thorazine injection.

September 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
  11. mary

Oh my oh my so they are upset and now they are going to explain to the rest of us what the Pope really meant. Good grief, please enough already on the anti=abortion and gay marriage. How about emphasis on poverty, social justice, how about emphasis on jobs, fair pay, corporate greed; how about the 1% richer than ever God Bless them every dollar and I mean that. But how about paying their fair share and so how about the USBISHOPS talking about that once in a while!!! Enough, is what the Pope is saying because there are too many bad things happening in the world right now that need to take priority.

September 20, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
    • Hell and destruction are never full

Did you clear this post with yer hubby??

September 20, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
      • La di da

Do you own yer wife?? Let me guess: never married confirmed "bachelor", right?? That's okay. The Pope forgives you for you gayness.

September 20, 2013 at 5:16 pm |
  12. dotheflippin'math

It's about time they elected a pope who might actually move the church forwards, instead of backwards. Compared to the Evangelical and Baptist message, this is a breath of fresh air. Enough with the damnation of liberals. I'll never believe in religion, but I applaud the positions this pope has taken, especially after the last jerk.

September 20, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
  13. Topher

I am a WHOLE lot less concerned with what conservatives say compared to what God has said.

September 20, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
    • Madtown

Too bad we don't know what that is, would be helpful!

September 20, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
    • Apple Bush

I am concerned about you T. When will your mind develop beyond that of a child?

September 20, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
    • Bob

Hello Topher. Would you like to share some more examples of where the Bible said something that "science wouldn't know until centuries later" with us today? I watched Colin and others tear you apart a couple of times you did.

September 20, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
    • Apple Bush

September 20, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • Topher

Madtown

"Too bad we don't know what that is, would be helpful!"

Sure we do. He gave us 66 books full of information.

Apple Bush

"I am concerned about you T. When will your mind develop beyond that of a child?"

"Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.” Luke 18:17

September 20, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
      • Apple Bush

So Topher, because of something you read, you actually choose to be an ignoramus your entire life?

September 20, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
      • Topher

Has nothing to do with being an "ignoramus." That statement is dealing with faith.

September 20, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
      • Madtown

He gave us 66 books full of information.
        -----
        LOL!! I haven't been on this merry-go-round-of-fun in a long time! I'll play just for a moment: um......."HE" didn't write those books, his human creations did. I suspect he's not all that happy with his humans creating these works, then essentially lying by saying HE is responsible.

September 20, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
      • Topher

Madtown

"HE" didn't write those books, his human creations did."

Sure, but divinely inspired by Him. So they wrote what He wanted them to.

"I suspect he's not all that happy with his humans creating these works, then essentially lying by saying HE is responsible."

What leads you to that conclusion?

September 20, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
        • Madtown

So they wrote what He wanted them to
          ----
          Yes, according to THEM. Look up the phrase "conflict of interest". PT Barnum has you pegged, and Sarah Palin has a Bridge to Nowhere to sell you. In other words.....gullibility.

September 20, 2013 at 6:27 pm |
    • Topher

Apple Bush

"Topher, some little old lady came to my door to give me a pamphlet and tell me the good news."

What did she say?

September 20, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
      • Apple Bush

Nothing, I told her I was an atheist and for her to take her wasteful rubbish elsewhere.

September 20, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
        • Bill Deacon

Did you say you were and atheist or did you just pretend to be someone else who is?

September 20, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
        • Apple Bush

I will probably regret this but....how could I pretend to be someone else exactly?

September 20, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
      • Bill Deacon

Topher, go to work already and quit making a fool of yourself and religion.

September 20, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
      • Topher

I hope you were nicer than that, Apple. There's something to be said for treating our elders with respect.

September 20, 2013 at 5:15 pm |
        • Apple Bush

There is something to be said for getting the fuck off my porch too..

September 20, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • buckcameron

Well said. So called conservative christians should read the words of the person they pretend to revere.

September 20, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • Joseph Bleaux

Which god? There are so many I get confused....

September 20, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
  14. SDTangler

I'd be upset, too! Jesus was staunchly anti-gay and anti-abortion. It's crazy to abandon Jesus' clearly-set position!

September 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
    • Anne

Just a note: they didn't have medical equipment in Jeaus' time. Therefore, they COULDN'T have done abortions. Therefore, Abortions(or the desire to do them,) didn't exist in Christ's time. Christ COULDN'T have been anti-abortion.

September 20, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
      • In Santa we trust

According to Wikipedia:
        Records show that abortion was happening at least 1700 BC; pregnancies were terminated through a number of methods, including the administration of abortifacient herbs, the use of sharpened implements, the application of abdominal pressure, and other techniques.
        Doesn't mean that Jesus didn't have an opinion though.

September 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
      • DavidAdams

The earliest know writings that make reference abortion come from 1760 BCE. It's been around a LONG time.

September 20, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
    • analyticalguy

Nor was Jesus quoted anywhere in the four gospels even mentioning gays. But of course SD Tangler knows exactly what else Jesus may have said, but no one at the time thought was important to quote, or what Jesus would have said, if he had thought it important – because his minister or priest told him.

September 20, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
  15. Sean

I think conservatives are disturbed.......

September 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm |
  16. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

"Conservatives 'disturbed' by pope's remarks"

Bwaa-haa-haa!

The pope talks about loving one's fellow humans and leaving all the judging to God. Hmmmm. Seems like I've heard that somewhere before. Perhaps it was Jesus?

It is time to separate politics and religion in the United States. Religious conservatives in this country are way to embroiled in political ideology.

A Christian can express political opinions on the right or the left. There should not be any religious preference for one or the other.

Ironically, this pope is showing a way forward. Good for him. It's time for Christians to leave the hate behind and embrace Jesus' message of love. That's the one thing Christianity really has going for it as a philosophy.

September 20, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
    • Apple Bush

I wish that were true, but this is just the press getting things all wrong.

September 20, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
  17. dfgsdfgwy456456365

TO DAY NORTH AMERICAN AGENCIES KILL 376 CHILD.

ITALIAN X MAFIA AGENTINE AGENCIES ARE PAYNG TO KILL PEOPLE.

EXPLOTING THEYR ORGANS.

ANOTHER AGENCIES IRRADIATE VENEZUELANS TROUGTH THEY EYES.

September 20, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
  18. Owen bailey

Whoa. Conservatives speak out against the church? Whats next conservatives want gun control? Its has become an aufully cold day in hell.

September 20, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
  19. Colin

Dear Catholics:

God here.

I don't care what the Pope says. In fact, I don't care about anything, because, you see, I do not exist. The concept of a 13,700,00,000 year old being, capable of creating the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies, monitoring simultaneously the thoughts and actions of the 7 billion human beings on this planet is ludicrous.

Second, if I did, I would have left you a book a little more consistent, timeless and independently verifiable than the collection of Iron Age Middle Eastern mythology you call the Bible. Hell, I bet you cannot tell me one thing about any of its authors or how and why it was edited over the Centuries, yet you cite them for the most extraordinary of claims.

Thirdly, when I sent my “son” (whatever that means, given that I am god and do not mate) to Earth, he would have visited the Chinese, Ja.panese, Europeans, Russians, sub-Saharan Africans, Australian Aboriginals, Mongolians, Polynesians, Micronesians, Indonesians and native Americans, not just a few Jews. He would also have exhibited a knowledge of something outside of the Iron Age Middle East.

Fourthly, I would not spend my time hiding, refusing to give any tangible evidence of my existence, and then punish those who are smart enough to draw the natural conclusion that I do not exist by burning them forever. That would make no sense to me, given that I am the one who elected to withhold all evidence of my existence in the first place.

Fifthly, in the same vein, I would not make about 5% of the human population gay, then punish them for being that way. In fact, I wouldn’t care about how humans have $ex at all, given that I created all of the millions of millions of species on the planet, all of whom are furiously reproducing all the time. Human $ex would be of no interest to me, given that I can create Universes. Has it ever occurred to you that your obsession with making rules around human $ex is an entirely human affair?

Sixth, I would have smited all traditional Catholics, (and evangelicals and fundamentalists) long before this. You people drive me nuts. You are so small minded and yet you speak with such false authority. Many of you still believe in the talking snake nonsense from Genesis. I would kill all of you for that alone and burn you for an afternoon (burning forever is way too barbaric even for me to contemplate).

Seventh, the whole idea of members of one species on one planet surviving their own physical deaths to “be with me” is utter, mind-numbing nonsense. Grow up. You will die. Get over it. I did. Hell, at least you had a life. I never even existed in the first place.

Eighth, I do not read your minds, or “hear your prayers” as you euphemistically call it. There are 7 billion of you. Even if only 10% prayed once a day, that is 700,000,000 prayers. This works out at 8,000 prayers a second – every second of every day. Meanwhile I have to process the 100,000 of you who die every day between heaven and hell. Dwell on the sheer absurdity of that for a moment.

Ninthly, had I existed, do you really think my representation on Earth would have such a history of corruption, retardation of science, financial misdeeds, political intrigue, outright criminal behavior and $exual misconduct, including pedophilia, as the Vatican does. I mean, come on! As a CEO, I would be fired for allowing my organization to run amok century after century.

Finally, the only reason you even consider believing in me is because of where you were born. Had you been born in India, you would likely believe in the Hindu gods, if born in Tibet, you would be a Buddhist. Every culture that has ever existed has had its own god(s) and they always seem to favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams and prejudices. What, do you think we all exist? If not, why only yours?

Look, let’s be honest with ourselves. There is no god. Believing in me was fine when you thought the World was young, flat and simple. Now we know how enormous, old and complex the Universe is.

Move on – get over me. I did.

God

September 20, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
    • Hell and destruction are never full

Figmentationism rears its ugly head.

September 20, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • Red

You DEFINITELY never read the Qur'an. Because if you did, you would see that's it's good for all ages. That's the problem with people like you. You don't read and research, you just take the opinion of some heathen online that is full of hate. Reading before you comment on something is a very basic concept and something you learn as a small child, at least you should have. READ FIRST. You're one of those people who do a book report based on what you heard about the book and then argue with your classmates that have read it. But you won't read the Qur'an. And there's three reasons why: 1)As I mentioned before, you think you know everything based on what some bigot said (and that bigot also didn't read it, just cherry picked verses he or she didn't agree with. 2) You're scared it will utterly destroy your beliefs (and it will) 3) You're a coward that is terrified that your little atheist pals will ridicule you when they realize you have been converted... Yes, the Torah and the Bible have their faults, because they've been hijacked and tampered with. Anything that has a human touch to it can be analyzed and criticizes. The Torah OF MOSES and The Gospels OF JESUS could not be touched, and the truth hurts, which is why they were hijacked the way they were. The Qur'an is simply a confirmation of the latter, not the former. And attempts to compromise the Qur'an have failed over the years. Monotheism rules, and it's Satan's worst enemy. Try reading things before you comment little one. I GUARANTEE you wouldn't have the same beliefs after THOUROUGHLY reading all 114 chapters (and the English translations). But an immature heathen like you couldn't possibly have the patience to read anything that deep and powerful... God is the Greatest...

September 20, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
      • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Well, it's nice to see that we get some delusional/retarded Muslims on here too... thanks for keeping it fresh...

September 20, 2013 at 7:31 pm |