home
RSS
September 20th, 2013

Conservatives 'disturbed' by pope's remarks

By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-editor

(CNN) - “Rain on parched land.”

“A bold new course.”

“Revolutionary.”

That’s how liberal Catholics responded to the stunning interview published Thursday in which Pope Francis bluntly said the church shouldn’t be “obsessed” with culture war issues like abortion and gay marriage.

“It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time,” the pope said, warning that the church's moral foundations will fall "like a house of cards" unless it strikes a "new balance" between preaching the gospel and taking stands on divisive issues.

How did conservative Catholics, the church’s most ardent culture warriors, react?

“I’ll be honest; I was disturbed,” writes Matthew Archbold in the conservative National Catholic Register.

“While it's clear that the pope is not changing church teaching, he is clearly changing the emphasis. The pope with a few words has unsettled so much.”

Archbold said that he’s concerned that the pope's words will be used against anti-abortion activists and opponents of gay marriage in the United States.

But after thinking and praying about the pope's remarks, Archbold said, he decided that being unsettled may not be "such a terrible thing."

"I think the pope was reminding us that we're a religion of 'yes.'"

MORE ON CNN: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

Before the release of Thursday’s interview, Bishop Thomas Tobin of Rhode Island said he was “disappointed” that Francis had not spoken much about abortion. On Friday, Tobin welcomed the pope’s comments, but said it won’t change his focus.

“I have spoken out clearly about the dignity of all human life and the nature of holy matrimony as designed by God and will continue to do so whenever the situation warrants,” Tobin said. “It is a demand of the Gospel.”

The bishop also said, however, that he appreciates the new pope’s “balanced and inclusive” approach.

Other conservative Catholics said the media and liberals had misconstrued the pope’s remarks, made in a 12,000-word interview published Thursday in 16 Jesuit journals around the world.

“The pope is a reformer, but not a revolutionary,” Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, told CNN’s Chris Cuomo.

“This is the problem with the left," Dohonue continued, "they are trying to take what the pope said and then run with it.”

Donohue, a caustic and sometimes controversial critic of people he perceives as anti-Catholic, said the pope’s remarks won’t silence him.

“There’s nothing the pope said that should give relief to people who say all of a sudden now that conservatives should shut up,” Donahue said. “We’re not going to shut up because we’re in consonant compliance with what the pope said. “

After all, conservatives say, it’s not like the pope changed Catholic doctrine in Thursday’s interview.

To underscore that point, the conservative blog Rorate Caeli posted a lengthy quote from the pope’s meeting with Catholic gynecologists on Friday in which he strongly denounced abortion.

“Each child who is unborn, but is unjustly condemned to be aborted, bears the face of Jesus Christ, bears the face of the Lord,” the pope said, according to Rorate Caeli’s translation. “They cannot be discarded, as the `culture of waste’ proposes.”

Father John Zuhlsdorf, a conservative Catholic blogger, said the pope urged Catholics to find a “new balance” between their moral and political missions. He didn’t say they should surrender the culture wars.

“I think that Francis thinks that constant correction and condemnation does more harm than good,” Zuhlsdorf wrote on his blog.

“Francis said `all the time," Zuhlsdorf said."He did not say `we should not talk about these things.’"

MORE ON CNN: The pope said what? Six stunners from Francis

Other conservatives said the pope's remarks are “nothing new.”

"The pope is not in any way proposing that the church should abandon important moral and social teachings,” said Ashley McGuire of the Catholic Association.

"Rather, the pope is reaffirming a longstanding teaching that reaches all the way back to the founding of Christianity: love your neighbor.”

And while most liberals praised the pope’s bold new vision, some took issue with his remarks about women’s role in the church.

“We have to work harder to develop a theology of women in the church,” Francis said in Thursday's interview.

“Breaking news, Pope Francis: There is already a profound theology of women," said Sister Maureen Fielder, a Catholic nun and longtime advocate of women’s ordination in the Catholic Church.

“There are libraries of feminist theology just waiting for you, and others, to dive in.”

Fielder said she likes the new pope, but she thinks he “sorely needs a course in feminist theology.”

For the most part, however, liberals praised Francis.

Under previous popes, liberal Catholic nuns, politicians and theologians were castigated by church leaders, said John Gehring, a writer and advocate at the group Faith in Public Life. Now “the air is starting to clear,” he said.

“Pope Francis is rescuing the Catholic Church from those grim-faced watchdogs of orthodoxy who in windowless rooms reduce Catholicism to a laundry list of nos,” Gehring said.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Culture wars • Faith • Gay marriage • Pope Francis

soundoff (1,798 Responses)
  1. DanWan

Robert Brown, do you have emotions?

September 21, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
    • tony

e-motions are the sh%&t that gets posted on

September 21, 2013 at 8:51 pm |

Dan,

September 21, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
      • Robert Brown

I stored them away years ago since I just wasn't using them.

September 21, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
  2. DanWan

Robert Brown, is the sky blue?

September 21, 2013 at 8:48 pm |

Sometimes

September 21, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
  3. DanWan

Robert Brown, why do you keep posting inane questions?

September 21, 2013 at 8:47 pm |

What?

September 21, 2013 at 9:48 pm |
      • Athy

Why?

September 21, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
  4. tony

Peace and joy are what atheists enjoy, because of their sanityand realization that the world is what it is.

Hope is a mistaken expectation that things you are not happy with and can usually do nothing about are better, or less worse some place or some time else, and by doing nothing, you will end up there.

September 21, 2013 at 8:42 pm |

Tony,

I'm happy for you if you are at peace & joyful. I wonder if you really don't have the need for some hope. Perhaps you are fearless.

September 21, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
    • Robert Brown

Or, without any aspirations. Now you are sounding fatalistic.

September 21, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
  5. #1Christ_Fan

I'm Disturbed by conservatives obbsession with gays,too

September 21, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
    • Jade

Yeah, that is pretty disturbing.

September 21, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
  6. tony

If the press didn't keep publishing "conservative's" remarks, the world would become an infinitely better place.

September 21, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
  7. Robert Brown

Jesus offers peace, hope, & joy. Peace that surpasses human understanding. A blessed & eternal hope in an abundant spiritual life now & an eternity free of strife when this short physical life is over. Indescribable joy knowing you have personal relationship with the God.

September 21, 2013 at 8:21 pm |
    • Doris

I would just like him to offer a better price than he has been charging for the mowing and trimming.

September 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
    • tony

Any Magic passes human undertanding. That's the definition.

September 21, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
    • Damocles

That's kind of glassy-eyed.

'Life is pointless, the real fun begins after you die'. Seems like all funerals should be a cause for joy and everyone should be rushing to have theirs. Oddly, this is not the case.

September 21, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
      • Athy

It's not the case because even the maniacal believers have their doubts about the afterlife.

September 21, 2013 at 8:37 pm |
        • Damocles

I have yet to see any believer doubt where they are going. If they had any doubt they were going to their promised land, it would put their belief in a whole different light.

September 21, 2013 at 8:46 pm |
        • Athy

So why don't they just kill themselves? Why suffer through a mortal life when paradise beckons?

September 21, 2013 at 9:06 pm |

Isn't that what I said?

September 21, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
        • Robert Brown

Do you want to die? No, at least I hope you would say no. This physical body & mind (flesh) wants to live. In the spirit it is easy to say come quickly lord Jesus.

September 21, 2013 at 9:24 pm |
        • Athy

Of course not, Robert. Because I know that will be the end. Why don't you want to die either when you're (apparently) thoroughly convinced of a more pleasant afterlife?

September 21, 2013 at 9:32 pm |

@robert

Me? No, I don't want to die, but I realize that I will at some point.

It's a little hinky that you claim that there is a supposed eternity of joy and peace waiting at death and then say people shouldn't want to die. How could a moment of pain compare to an eternity of bliss? Of course, this should also make you wonder why even the most devout of believers sometimes linger with large amounts of pain before they die. Shouldn't a deity be compassionate enough to just let it end?

September 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
        • Robert Brown

I'm sorry if I can't explain it. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

September 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

I think it's immature to want eternal life. The universe and everything within it is born, lives a changing life, and dies. I don't relish the idea of death, but I want and end to my life just like I'm glad it had a beginning. I don't want my life to become some grotesque caricature of what I once was.

September 21, 2013 at 10:30 pm |

Damocles,

You missed the abundant spiritual life here & now filled with peace, hope, & joy. By the way, this flesh doesn't want to die.

September 21, 2013 at 8:38 pm |
        • Damocles

It's funny, I often hear that this deity you believe in doesn't want robots for followers, hence the whole 'free will' argument, yet this abundant joy and peace and love and this supposed afterlife sound very robotic.

This flesh doesn't want to die? Why not? If eternity is so much better, people should be falling over themselves to do away with themselves. Please explain why we would even have to be born to experience something with which we had no familiarity with in the first place to reach the eternity that we already 'knew'.

September 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm |
        • Robert Brown

See above + the future is unknown to us all.

September 21, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
        • Damocles

Right, so you have no real answer as to why ~80 years of 'spiritual life' is in any way, shape, or form necessary compared to an eternity of bliss.

So now we reach the question of is there a necessary amount of the 'spiritual life' required before the bliss happens for a person? If there is, what is it? Five years? Ten? Is it a sliding scale? If it's not fixed, then it becomes unimportant, if it is fixed, say five years, what happens to those unfortunate enough to have only experienced it for four years and 364 days?

September 21, 2013 at 9:52 pm |
        • Robert Brown

Necessary? I don't know. I'm thankful for the opportunity, for the ones I know & love. Who knows how many can be touched in a lifetime lived for The Lord.

September 21, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
    • Bob

Robert Brown, how is it that your omnipotent being couldn't do his saving bit without the whole silly Jesus hoopla? And how was Jesus' death a "sacrifice", when an omnipotent being could just pop up a replacement son any time with less than a snap of his fingers? Pretty pathetic "god" that you've made for yourself there.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

September 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm |
    • Athy

What "surpasses human understanding" is why you religies can't enjoy life without your absurd beliefs. Chuck all that baloney and just live!

September 21, 2013 at 8:51 pm |
      • Robert Brown

I enjoy many things about this life, some things not so much. I better be careful might come across as normal. Having faith is life. Living without God is all vanity & vexation of spirit.

September 21, 2013 at 9:34 pm |
        • Damocles

Oh, c'mon. It is not vain to live your life to the best of your ability, learn from your mistakes and strive to do better.

September 21, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
        • Robert Brown

Vanity of vanities, it is all vanity. The pride of life and the lust of the flesh. If you do everything that can be done under the sun, in the end what will it be worth? Is it worth missing eternity for a season of pleasure?

September 21, 2013 at 10:00 pm |
        • Cpt. Obvious

There is no "eternity." We die. But while you're living, why not live? Yep, it all amounts to nothing, but no reason not to enjoy it right now.

September 21, 2013 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Robert Brown

Do you have joy?

September 21, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • Athy

No. But I have Sudsy. Gets my dishes a lot cleaner than Joy.

September 21, 2013 at 7:46 pm |

I use Dawn.

September 21, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

I have joy, but I'm not letting you borrow it again. Last time it took you 2 weeks to return it, so I had to use Cascade. 😦

September 21, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
    • DanWan

Robert, why do you think that one must believe in a sky god, or an afterlife, to experience joy? And why do you think that your sky god story is the right one? Many thousands of others have also been invented, and their believers all think they are the right one.

September 21, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
  9. Robert Brown

Do you have peace?

September 21, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Athy

Yep. A good martini does it for me.

September 21, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
      • Robert Brown

If you need a martini to get it, you don't have it.

September 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
        • Damocles

Everybody has their crutch.

September 21, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
        • Athy

Does it matter how you get it? Religious bullshit won't work for me.

September 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm |
        • Doris

Not true for everyone. Some have that problem.

September 21, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
        • Doris

Sorry, Robert, I misread that – you are correct. I thought you were insinuating that a tasty drink, enjoyed responsibly, always indicates the wrong path to a peaceful experience.

September 21, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
        • Jade

A dirty martini with extra olives is peaceful. Sublime!

September 21, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
        • Athy

But stirred, not shaken. 007 was a moron.

September 21, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
    • Damocles

Actually I do have peace. And quiet. They won't last past Monday, but I'll enjoy them for now.

September 21, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • Gary

Do you have ketchup Robert? May I borrow some please?

September 21, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
  10. Robert Brown

Do you have hope?

September 21, 2013 at 7:38 pm |
    • Athy

Nope on Hope. We split last month. Susie is my girl now.

September 21, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
      • Joey Navis

we had hope,,,, but hope had to leave so we made mary,,, she left too so we jumped for joy. that lasted all nite, so we were up at the crack of,,,,,,,, aaahhhh,,,, never mind!!!

September 22, 2013 at 11:15 am |
    • GodFreeNow

Nope. Hope is for suckers. I have drive and ambition and clear sense of personal responsibility.

September 21, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
      • Robert Brown

Personal responsibility is a good thing, drive & ambition can be ok. You might be hoping to accomplish something.

September 21, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
      • Damocles

You can have hope without being glassy-eyed about it.

September 21, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
      • GodFreeNow

I'm not saying people cannot have hope and be realistic about it, but there's nothing to it aside from self-satisfaction. I heard it said, "abandon hope and find peace." This works well for me. Hope is nothing more than imagination. It's fine to to have if you want to make yourself feel better about something, but I don't need it. I find realism to be inspiring enough.

September 21, 2013 at 8:52 pm |
        • Damocles

Right, I understand what you are saying.

It is better to study for a test and have hope that you will do well as opposed to merely hoping.

September 21, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
        • GodFreeNow

Yeah. I know it's a controversial position. Most people disagree with me. It's the difference between anticipating the future and accepting the present. In recent years, I've simplified my life to what is happening right now and not worrying about the future or past. In a present-tense state of mind, hope is really superfluous.

September 21, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
        • Damocles

Heh, that's interesting to me. I remember the past to try and not make the same mistakes in the future. To me, and quite possibly only to me, living solely in the present would mean some kind of frozen in time existence where a person was afraid to affect the future.

September 21, 2013 at 9:16 pm |
        • GodFreeNow

@Damocles, I understand what you're saying. I worried about the same thing. The interesting thing is, that you DO remember the past and it DOES influence your behavior whether you try to our not. Once you experience something your brain is altered. That present-tense brain is now a different brain than it was 5 minutes ago before you had the experience. It's there. All of the data has been collected, stored and organized and you operate from a new perspective regardless of the effort of clinging to the past for ideas.

I could ask, would you rather be the person you look back on or the person you are right now? Which do you think is better suited for solving problems?

September 22, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
  11. Colin

Even by the low standards of the Christians, the Catholics believe a lot of childish nonsense.
    to wit:

A whole host of supernatural beings – angels, God, the Verigin Mary a holy spirit, saints, the devil and demons.

Grocery store bread and wine magically turning into flesh and blood

Mindreading

life after death and a soul

They really are gullible, simple people.

September 21, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
    • Joey Navis

one of the things wrong with the atheist movement is that for the most part, atheists are as dogmatic as any religion. most take a condescending position where they are the ones who truly understand reality and their religious brethren are under tired old delusions. what atheists fail to recognize is that just about every other culture and people throughout history has recognized the existence of realities and/or dimensions which cannot be measured in the empirical sense or recognized in the western view of science or reality. be it ghosts or ufo's or god or time and space,,, there are things out there which are beyond our understanding.

September 22, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  12. Bee

I think it's hysterical that the media are all over this story. They ignore Church teaching on these subjects, but given them even a hint of an inch, and they take a mile!

September 21, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • Bob

You can't seriously suggest the media should be furthering Catholic doctrine?

September 21, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • Observer

ALL believers ignore what the Bible says.

September 21, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
  13. Religion is not healthy for children

Education changes things.

September 21, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • truthprevails1

Without God there is no education.

September 21, 2013 at 9:28 pm |
      • Jeff

Without your own name, you won't either.

September 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
  14. changes to be introduced in the Church, which will contradict the Word of God

My God I can't shake my personal fear that the Anti-Christ is in the Vatican. The scary thing is that I know that he is CORRECT ! I am having a faith crisis !

September 21, 2013 at 5:21 pm |
    • jens gessner

The human mind is extremely susceptible to hallucination. You just have to wake up and all will be okay.

September 21, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • GodFreeNow

If christ had the foresight of Buddha, then he would have welcomed the anti-christ the way buddha welcomed the anti-buddha. As the zen axiom goes, "If you meet the buddha, kill the buddha." The acceptance of any idea as absolute truth is toxic. It eats away at the core ideology like a cancer. It's evident in every system. Think of the new pope as the scalpel excising the cancer. While I don't believe in a god or religion as a solution to problems, I can help but be inspired by the wisdom of the action.

September 21, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
  15. changes to be introduced in the Church, which will contradict the Word of God

Read the prophecies at http://www.thewarningsecondcoming.com. Jesus Christs warns all people, about changes to be introduced in the Church, which will contradict the Word of God
    Tuesday, September 13th, 2011
    My dearly beloved daughter, it is I, Jesus Christ, Who came in the flesh.

My Most Holy Word must now be heard by My sacred servants everywhere. All My followers must share these Messages with My sacred servants of all Christian denominations. It is vital that they are encouraged to hear My Word at this crucial time, before they are torn asunder and split into two camps.

The work of the deceiver has infiltrated My Church on every level. Very soon now, slowly but surely, you will see Holy Masses being reduced. You will see the removal of special prayers and some of the Sacraments, such as Confession, begin to diminish. I call on My sacred servants now to listen to Me and pray for discernment. It is I Who calls you now, so I can save your flock. It is I Who wants to open your hearts so you can plan for these end times, which will herald a brand new beginning for the world.

You will be asked to show allegiance to the false prophet very soon. See him for what he is and judge his works in order to see if they bear fruit. For the fruit that he and his slavish devotees will yield will be rotten to the core. One bite will destroy your allegiance to Me. Two or more bites will drive such a wedge between you and My Sacred Heart that you will find it almost impossible to enter My Father’s Kingdom.

Watch carefully now the changes you will see creeping in within your own ministry. Some of these adjustments will not seem to be a problem in the beginning. But as time moves on certain changes will be forced upon you and you will be made to swallow lies. The lies will come from Satan and will be dressed in sheep’s clothing.

For those pure of heart you will know instantly and will recognize the evil cunning in place, which is being designed to destroy My Church on Earth, from within its own corridors.

My Truth will cause gasps of indignity throughout the world when My priests will say surely this prophecy is a lie? The only lie that they will have to bear witness to will be the one they are forced to approve, which will be in direct opposition to My Sacred Scriptures given to mankind right from the start. Never allow yourselves to accept any other Truth other than that contained in the Holy Bible.

Many changes will be introduced, which will contradict the Word of My Eternal Father. These changes, My sacred servants, won’t be of divine origin and you must reject these untruths if you want to remain loyal to Me.

Wake up. Stand up to those lies you will have to face. Never accept them. My Eternal Father’s Word will never change. It can never be adjusted by mankind. Many of you will be so distraught that you will find yourselves isolated from your fellow sacred servants. Fear not, for there is only one side you can choose. That will be the side where I stand. There is no other side.

Your beloved Saviour
    Jesus Christ

September 21, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • jens gessner

utter nonsense

September 21, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • Joel Osteen

Which Word do you think you know?

In our church, only We have the correct Word.

In our church, Grease is the Word!

September 21, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
    • bakbic

Too long... too boring... too many unnecessarily capitalized words... too much BS...

September 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm |

And absurd nonsense.

September 21, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
    • truthprevails1

seek help please

September 21, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
    • Jester

You actually believe anyone is going to buy that Jesus wrote that personally? Just as with the Bible, MAN wrote this. Or maybe in this case, woman.

September 21, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
      • jens gessner

Jester,

Would you be surprised if I told you that thousands literally 'buy' that nonsense? The comment is taken from a website of a self-declared prophet, who sells books using the name 'Mary Divine Mercy'.

Or perhaps we should NOT be surprised that religious folk can be so gullible.

September 21, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
  16. Felix Sinclair

But what's the use of faith if you can't hate your way into Heaven?!?

September 21, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
    • Akira

It's a bit of a paradox, isn't it, that the intolerant have come to rely on the tolerance of others to get away with the stuff that they do.

September 21, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
  17. Sam Yaza

Dohonue should be ashamed of himself, he shames his ancestor Brigid but following the god who killed his people.

September 21, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
  18. Matt

As a Christian I really don't listen to what men teach, I follow what God, through His Spirit, has given us in His Word. Men are prone to error, just like we see here. I have peace inside having received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I have peace walking in His Holy Spirit and reading His Word. God Bless

September 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
    • bakbic

Too many unnecessarily-capitalized words... too much BS... but not too long!

September 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Matt, that sounds about like what Fred Phelps or Joseph Smith would say.

September 21, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • jens gessner

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." (Richard Dawkins)

September 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
    • Topher

Amen!

September 21, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
  19. Blessed are the Cheesemakers and Nose pickers

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF-MRr6SI9o&w=640&h=360]

September 21, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • Billy

Well, maybe it was going to be a long flight.

September 21, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
    • jens gessner

See, I have often wondered what qualities they look for when they choose a pope.

September 21, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
  20. myweightinwords

Anyone who is anti-abortion and also anti-birth control is shooting himself in the foot.

You want to see abortion rates decline? Make birth control readily available and cheap/free and teach people the proper ways to use it. Teach young people that two methods of birth control used concurrently double your safety.

Watch abortion rates plummet.

September 21, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
    • Doris

Agreed.

September 21, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • Hell and destruction are never full

A condom and a biodegradable garbage bag are popular with the romantically educated.

September 21, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
      • hal 9001

Based on my posting pattern algorithms, "Hell and destruction are never full", I have concluded that your posts and replies resemble the posts of others who were deemed "flunkies" of the writer's boot camp for the ACME Evangelical Fortune Cookie Company.

September 21, 2013 at 1:09 pm |
    • Hell and destruction are never full

Here's an uneducated guy who found LUV in parks.
      "A man in rural Missouri told police he may have exposed more than 300 people to HIV since 2003..........."

Read more: http://nation.time.com/2013/09/05/missouri-man-may-have-infected-over-300-with-hiv/#ixzz2fY3tqEAG

September 21, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
      • midwest rail

September 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
      • Billy

Do you think this relates to the OP, or is this your usual meandering like the pigeons shitting in piazza San Marco?

September 21, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
      • Hell and destruction are never full

M Rail, would you explain the Gag-Pol Precursor in layman's terms?? It's not clear.

September 21, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
      • midwest rail

Of course not, are you suggesting one needs to be a virologist to understand the article ? Or did you merely do your standard disingenuous "detective" work and search for a scientific term beyond a layman's grasp ? The article is quite clear on how the treatment will work.

September 21, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
        • Hell and destruction are never full

Well, gag me with a spooooon, valley girl. HIV is naturally suicidal because it kills the host, self sacrifice, so to speak. Oh, well if you can't explain it just say so.

September 21, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
        • midwest rail

"... if you can't explain it just say so. "
          What part of " Of course not..." did you not understand ? Once again, one need not be a virologist to grasp the gist of the article. Of course, that presumes that the reader isn't you.

September 21, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
      • midwest rail

Since I'm quite certain lol?? didn't expect an honest answer, he's probably searching for another way to spin his question. I'll check back later to verify.

September 21, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
        • Hell and destruction are never full

"......................standard disingenuous "detective" work..................."??

September 21, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
        • Idjit patrol

Reading comprehension escape you, Monk?

September 21, 2013 at 2:54 pm |