home
RSS
October 20th, 2013

CNN exclusive: Chris Tomlin's new music video

By the CNN Belief Blog Editors
[twitter-follow screen_name='CNNBelief']

(CNN)– One of the most popular artists on the planet, Chris Tomlin, is about to release a new music video, and CNN's Belief Blog has an exclusive first look.

Next week Tomlin is releasing a deluxe CD/DVD edition of his chart-topping album "Burning Lights."

The CNN Belief Blog is the only place you can see Tomlin's new video, "God's Great Dance Floor," filmed live at Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado.

In March, we profiled the popular Christian singer, whose songs are sung by as many as 30 million people each week at churches across the country.

CNN Belief – Chris Tomlin, king of the sing-along

As lively as (Tomlin's) shows are, the point is not to get you inside the doors. The point is to get you singing in church.

“I strive for trying to write something that people can sing, that people want to sing, and that people need to sing,” Tomlin explained before the show.

Tomlin is the undisputed king of worship music, a genre of Christian music sung on Sunday mornings all across the world and increasingly played on Christian radio stations. The music is simple, devotional and easy on the ears.

“We would say that Chris is the most prolific songwriter in the United States now, in this past decade,” said Howard Rachinski, CEO of Christian Copyright Licensing International, the company that tracks what music is used in churches around the world.

In 2012, CCLI paid out $40 million to artists and musicians, and Tomlin got a healthy slice of that pie. Churches around the world used 128 songs he wrote or co-wrote last year, Rachinski said.

CCLI estimates that every Sunday in the United States, between 60,000 and 120,000 churches are singing Tomlin’s songs. By extrapolating that data, Rachinski says, “our best guess would be in the United States on any given Sunday, 20 to 30 million people would be singing Chris Tomlin's songs.”

Chris Tomlin's "God's Great Dance Floor" video from "Burning Lights" Deluxe Edition CD/DVD appears here courtesy of Capitol Christian music group.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Music

1. Teresa Lee

1 peter 5:6 So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor.

Chris is able to write these awesome songs because he has totally surrendered his heart and life to the will of God.
    If you will take the time to listen and watch you will see the anointing God has placed on Chris and his life. Chris is a very humble person and always gives all the glory to God.

October 20, 2013 at 10:12 am |
    • Colin

You do realize that First Peter is almost universally accepted as forged under the name of Peter, by an unknown mid Second Century forger, don't you?

October 20, 2013 at 10:17 am |
    • Bob

Unfortunately, Teresa, there are both good and horrid bits in the bible. It is also internally inconsistent and in many places just plain wrong. Here are some of the nasty bits. Far better to look elsewhere than the Christian mythbook for guidance:

Numbers 31:17-18
      17 Now kiII all the boys. And kiII every woman who has slept with a man,
      18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Deuteronomy 13:6 – “If your brother, your mother’s son or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul entice you secretly, saying, let us go and serve other gods … you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death”

Revelation 2:23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Leviticus 25
      44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.
      45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.
      46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Note that the bible is also very clear that you should sacrifice and burn an animal today because the smell makes sicko Christian sky fairy happy. No, you don't get to use the parts for food. You burn them, a complete waste of the poor animal.

Yes, the bible really says that, everyone. Yes, it's in Leviticus, look it up. Yes, Jesus purportedly said that the OT commands still apply. No exceptions. But even if you think the OT was god's mistaken first go around, you have to ask why a perfect, loving enti-ty would ever put such horrid instructions in there. If you think rationally at all, that is.

And then, if you disagree with my interpretation, ask yourself how it is that your "god" couldn't come up with a better way to communicate than a book that is so readily subject to so many interpretations and to being taken "out of context", and has so many mistakes in it. Pretty pathetic god that you've made for yourself.

So get out your sacrificial knife or your nasty sky creature will torture you eternally. Or just take a closer look at your foolish supersti-tions, understand that they are just silly, and toss them into the dustbin with all the rest of the gods that man has created.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

October 20, 2013 at 10:17 am |
      • Teresa

Bob,
        I will start by saying that I did not "make" God for myself rather He made me. I will not argue with you over scripture rather I will pray for the blindfold to be removed from you so that you will see. Have a blessed Sunday my friend.

October 20, 2013 at 10:30 am |
        • Bob

Teresa, grow a spine and try actually responding to the content of my post for a change instead of wimping out.

October 20, 2013 at 10:32 am |
        • Bob

October 20, 2013 at 10:33 am |
      • laceydon

You've got one thing right, Bob. God is not some namby pamby God. He hates sin, and he hates sin because he loves you. When sinners (all or any of us) stand against God, as these in the Old Testament verse (or Revelation) you refer to, they stand on dangerous ground. God's judgment may come from the sky (the flood), it may come from the surrounding nations, or from deputies of the law within a nation. Or it may come from the sin itself, noted in Romans. But it will come.

Here's the New Testament warning from Romans 1:
        28 Since these people refused even to think about God, he let their useless minds rule over them. That’s why they do all sorts of indecent things. 29 They are evil, wicked, and greedy, as well as mean in every possible way. They want what others have, and they murder, argue, cheat, and are hard to get along with. They gossip, 30 say cruel things about others, and hate God. They are proud, conceited, and boastful, always thinking up new ways to do evil.

These people don’t respect their parents. 31 They are stupid, unreliable, and don’t have any love or pity for others. 32 They know God has said that anyone who acts this way deserves to die. But they keep on doing evil things, and they even encourage others to do them.

Does anyone who looks around in America today doubt that those who abandon themselves to these things not reap the consequences of their sin?

So mock God if you dare. But beware, this God whom you mock as far too immoral and intolerant, will one day come to the end of his patience with you, if he hasn't already. And you will reap what you sow. Unless you repent.

October 20, 2013 at 11:24 am |
        • Zeus

Uh, lacey, think ya got some Pascal's Wager goin on about your sky daddy. Better deal with it and google it up or I might strike your fat sorry ass with a lightning bolt.

Stupid fscking Christians...

October 20, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
        • aldewacs2

... you use all those words you get from watching too many Charlton Heston movies... as if you knew something the rest of us don't.
          The world seems to be full of wanna-be preachers.

October 28, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  2. TimJ

Chris Tomlin is a modern day King David. His lyrics are always praising God, similar to many Psalms written by David. Much better lyrics than something like "You're no good, you're no good, you're no good...baby you're no good". I'd rather fill up my soul with words of praise, hope & worship. Christian rock has helped change my life for the better – try it for a month or more and see/feel the difference.

October 20, 2013 at 10:00 am |
    • Bob

"Christian music" is better described as musack. Even in an elevator, it is stinky, annoying stuff. Holey saccharine cheese for wimpy people with poor taste, nothing more.

October 20, 2013 at 10:23 am |
      • tallulah13

This song is entirely derivative. The vocal and musical style are borrowed from other singers and bands, and the lyrics are cloying and written to pander to a very specific audience. And they eat it right up.

October 20, 2013 at 11:24 pm |
    • Teresa

Amen Tim!

October 20, 2013 at 10:24 am |
    • Jane

RAmen, Bob.

I agree, Christian rock totally STINKS!

October 20, 2013 at 10:36 am |
    • aldewacs2

October 28, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • aldewacs2

Gotta love the faithful .. always trying to lure more people into their delusion... misery loves company?

October 28, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
  3. Alias

Christian rock doesn't make christianity any better, but it does make Rock and Roll worse.

October 20, 2013 at 9:58 am |
    • Bob

Alias, so true.

2 thumbs up.

October 20, 2013 at 10:19 am |
  4. Shelly

Love this man and his music...

October 20, 2013 at 9:53 am |
  5. Bob

You can believe whatever you want, but man, atheist seem to be the most bitter group of people I've ever seen.

October 20, 2013 at 9:43 am |
    • Alias

Christians are why i started questioning the bible, and eventually left the church.
      I guess id depends on your perspective.

October 20, 2013 at 9:53 am |
      • klingstreet108

What did you find following your questioning of the Word of God?

October 20, 2013 at 10:21 am |
        • Alias

God made Billions and Billions of stars so he could have one garden with 2 people.
          God had to sacrifice his son so he could forgive us for a sin we did not commit and judge us fairly when we died.
          The world is not flat.
          Evolution should be taught in science class.
          Christian theocracy was the reason for the dark ages. The printing press was a scapegoat.
          God never flooded the earth.
          Most christians do not live the way they preach, and if their god exists they are going to hell.
          The RCC discourages people from reading the whole bible. you are just supposed to read the parts that sound good.

Enough for starters?

October 20, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
        • klingstreet108

Maybe for starters 🙂 How do you know all of this true?

October 20, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
        • Alias

If ANY part of this is correct, then the bible is flawed.
          Once you see that it is not the perfect word of god, then you have to wonder how much of it is wrong.
          Logic and common sense take over from there.

There is a lot of wisdom in the bible, but that does not make the whole book true.

October 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
        • Teresa

Tell me one thing in the bible that has ever once since it existed been proven to be untrue. After you find out that you can't, I challenge you to research the things that are in the bible that even scientists didn't know for decades after it was written.

October 20, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
        • klingstreet108

Excellent point, Alias – I would like return to it. For now, in a similar manner, is it possible that anything which you claim to know could be wrong?

October 21, 2013 at 8:19 am |
        • Check

klingstreet108 & Teresa,

This "God" character allegedly spoke right to Moses and told him:

- You cure leprosy by having a dove killed, dipping a live one in its blood and having it fly around. Also, you have to anoint the toes of the suffer with the blood.
          - You discover unfaithful wives when their bellies swell and their thighs rot after they are made to drink some magical water.
          - Prized striped goats are bred by having the mating parents stare at striped objects.

There are several other similar incidences of absolute rubbish that this "God" "spoke", along with a bunch of other rules and laws that are obviously only from the minds of primitive men. How anyone can believe that this stuff came from a real smart divine being is ludicrous.

October 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
        • truthprevails1

"one thing in the bible that has ever once since it existed been proven to be untrue."

Noahs Ark; Virgin Birth; resurrection; Adam and Eve
          Evilbible.com will help open your mind to the horror's of that book and your imaginary friend

October 20, 2013 at 11:23 pm |
    • Richard Cranium

Bob
      How many atheists have you tasted?

October 20, 2013 at 10:05 am |
      • Bob

Good one, Richard.

I'm not that same Bob.

October 20, 2013 at 10:19 am |
    • Bob

Bob, your statement is itself pretty bitter. Mirror mirror...

October 20, 2013 at 10:20 am |
  6. Who?

Take a few chords, and a few words that represent hope and love, mix 'em up in a couple of hundred combinations, and you've got yourself some marketable sheeple fodder. Yawn.

October 20, 2013 at 9:32 am |
    • Elliott Carlin

true, however that is also true of society in general. No use expressing bigotry against just Christianity.

October 20, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
      • G to the T

True – but when a particular genre of music just so insipid, I'd say it's best to deride it as much as possible.

October 22, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
  7. Realist

----------------

... http://www.GODisIMAGINARY.com ...

... and thank goodness ...

... because he emanates from the ..

... http://www.EVILbible.com ...

--------------–.

October 20, 2013 at 8:59 am |
  8. tom LI

IF this particular God is so great and loving...why does he need all these stimuli, all these gimmicks to get people to come to his side? It makes no sense...an all encompassing power, that breaths life and spirit into every single thing on the planet and beyond – yet he sits on the side-lines waiting for, and apparently needing more and more gimmicks to get his alleged creations to come over to his side of the field.

Why?

If all it takes is a song or the mere act of singing one to trigger a conversion, or whatever else a Believer will say it did to/for them – there's something wrong with the whole way this God set things up. Either this Tomlin has been granted magical powers that his songs become incantations (which would contrary to Xtian theology-doctrine) or He (God) has no actual powers that allow him to personally intervene into this reality...or if he can, its simply not a very effective means. So he needs gimmicks, and of all things trite and very obvious songs with tired melodies and a string of cliches.

Cliches seem to have some power over some believers...

October 20, 2013 at 8:54 am |
    • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson - The Perimeter of Ignorance

The "gimmicks" have nothing to do with God, but have everything to do with the music industry recognizing where more money can be found. But, this artist also gets his message out, and therefore it's a win-win.

October 20, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • Alias

the church has to do something to distract people from the mistakes in the bible.

October 20, 2013 at 9:55 am |
      • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson - The Perimeter of Ignorance

Well, music and community are two things that people like about church.

October 20, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
  9. Anelia

Another great song Chris! Saw you in July at the O2 & loved every minute of worshipping in God's presence. Thank you.

October 20, 2013 at 8:45 am |
  10. elliott carlin

Christ spoke of the Chris Tomlin's of the world when He said, "The first shall be last and the last first.." as well as "they have their reward here on earth".

I can assure you God's economy isn't based on popularity.

October 20, 2013 at 8:42 am |
    • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson - The Perimeter of Ignorance

The idea of eternal life .... is popular.

October 20, 2013 at 8:52 am |
  11. B G

All I know is that God is love. Once you've felt his love you'll understand. This song is about how God never stops loving us, no matter what. It's a powerful thing and I hope you all experience it. There's no reason to write a page about how you disagree with christianity and what's wrong with it. As a christian I don't go to church or preach to people, I live my life according to how I feel God is leading me and try to reflect God through my own actions. It's really as simple as that!

October 20, 2013 at 8:31 am |

----------------

... http://www.GODisIMAGINARY.com ...

... and thank goodness ...

... because he emanates from the ..

... http://www.EVILbible.com ...

--------------–.

October 20, 2013 at 8:58 am |
    • tom LI

Its not ALL you KNOW, its whats you've been taught. Which is lacking in some actual reality concerning this God. Cause he really like vengeance too, and retribution and some good old general mayhem!

And please define and explain what you mean by LOVE. Xtians toss that term around like cashiers say, "Have a good day." Its become meaningless in its general use. I bet you love pancakes too, or maybe waffles, certainly pork-rinds, right? Or is it the Sunday buffet you LOVE...?

October 20, 2013 at 8:59 am |
      • B G

I was most definitely 'told' to go to church and fought against God in my life for the majority of my life. Through these times I was at my lowest, bad decision after bad decision, with many life-long terrible consequences. I was not happy for long. I found temporary joy in doing drugs, being promiscuous, rebelling against everything I thought would make ME happy. I was suicidal and alone. Once a big life event happened to me, I turned my life around and allowed God back into my life. He gives me joy every day. He provides things in my life that seem impossible to me. He forgave 20+ years of living for myself. To me love is always being there, never giving up on me no matter how many horrible decisions I make, giving me another chance no matter what, blessing me in my life over and over again. I love God not because I have to, not because I'm taught to, not because I'm told I'm supposed to. I love God because He is, always was, and always will be the only one in my life that will never leave, will never give up and will always love me. Everyone and everything else has failed me. Love is the only English word that describes how I feel but to be honest, it's not good enough, it's so much more. And yes, I do LOVE pancakes and waffles, but clearly not in the same way 😉

October 20, 2013 at 10:26 am |
  12. Paige

To inspire Christians to dance, move in rhythm—not so much in righteousness—brings God to a personal level that many believe God will not enter. It matters less who gets paid for the music than what the music inspires within people. Life is a dance ...with constantly changing music...at least he's brave enough to inspire his listeners to think differently about God.

October 20, 2013 at 8:23 am |
    • elliott carlin

Why would we need to think differently about God than how He revealed Himself in the Scriptures and through His Son?

October 20, 2013 at 8:34 am |
      • Paige

That He will come to where we are....that He wants to be a part of EVERYTHING. It brings Sciiptures to this day.

October 20, 2013 at 8:39 am |
        • elliott carlin

You aren't making much sense in light of Scripture. The Holy Spirit guides us into all truth-we don't need to look at God any 'differently' than we have since the dawn of Creation. Let's stop making God into something we want Him to be, instead of just who He says He is.

We'll all react a bit more like Isaiah and Job if we do, rather than jumping around a stage in our hip clothing being shown on a big video screen.

October 20, 2013 at 8:44 am |
        • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson - The Perimeter of Ignorance

And this discussion highlights a reason why some people have left fundamentalist churches. They millenials don't like the bigotry and the politics. I would venture that they'll form their own, new churches that dump the undesirable stuff. Fundamentalism is getting ready to evolve again!

October 20, 2013 at 8:56 am |
        • tom LI

He has the powers to BE part of everything...but he needs a singer/songwriter to get him into stuff that people like?

Seems like this God is always seeking a gimmick...or needs them as a means to inculcate himself.

Which sort of makes him a lesser and lesser Being that he requires so many gimmicks. Worse that he cares that he snags another believer thru a song, when in reality HE demands worship without all the gimmicks and showmanship.

And all this Worshiping in PUBLIC spaces – all these people showing off their Faith – runs counter to Jesus' own words to be private and quiet about ones faith-worship.

Americans contradict Jesus' alleged words all the time, in that they seem to believe they KNOW better than Jesus.

October 20, 2013 at 9:04 am |
        • tom LI

"To be where we are...a part of what we do"...you make him sound like that annoying little brother/sister who wont play with the kids his own age.

This God has untold powers, but he needs to be made relevant thru some cliched song writing...? He needs a guitar solo, and a righteous rhythm section..? (which I doubt this singer and his band has...)

October 20, 2013 at 9:08 am |
        • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson - The Perimeter of Ignorance

@tom LI. You know, you sound really upset about the fact that some people are just enjoying some music. You may want to check your compass. As for the written words in the Bible being Jesus, no one was there, so we don't actually know what he was like.

October 20, 2013 at 9:16 am |
  13. Karl

The sad part is people actually like this garbage

October 20, 2013 at 8:22 am |
    • saggyroy

One man's garbage is another man's Christian rock.

October 20, 2013 at 8:31 am |
  14. saggyroy

I can't stand "Christian Rock", but I do like old-timey gospel.

October 20, 2013 at 8:21 am |
  15. David DeForge

"God's Great Dance Floor"

I'm assuming this guy has never studied Cosmology to really grasp how immensely tiny the dance floor is.

October 20, 2013 at 8:18 am |
    • elliott carlin

He's a tad light on theology as well.

October 20, 2013 at 8:36 am |
  16. Tar

Who?

October 20, 2013 at 8:16 am |
    • saggyroy

No not Who. They were never the same after Kieth Moon died.

October 20, 2013 at 8:25 am |
      • 90125

No not no, yes.

October 20, 2013 at 10:31 am |
  17. Hmmm!

The male Madonna perhaps, that could get very ugly.

October 20, 2013 at 8:15 am |
  18. Teddy

Just another dude making a boatload of money off religion.

October 20, 2013 at 8:12 am |
    • JJ

Just another huckster making a buck off the gullible sheep. He probably laughs at them as they belt out his sappy terrible songs every Sunday and pay him his royalty.

October 20, 2013 at 8:14 am |
      • saggyroy

Coming to a mega-church near you.

October 20, 2013 at 8:23 am |
    • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson - The Perimeter of Ignorance

People are inspired for different reasons; they are passionate about different things. It may just be that his passion for music, and he is talented, lines up with his life's philosophy. There's nothing dishonest about that.

October 20, 2013 at 8:51 am |
      • G to the T

Or it may be a completely calculated move like Cartman did on South Park.

October 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
  19. Colin

There are some pretty fundamental objections to Christianity that are hard to get around. Now before some believer rants back at me that I am evil, an “angry atheist”, or going to burn for all eternity in hell, please take the time to actually read and cogitate the objections.

If you have a disagreement with a point I make, post it. However, if you only object to the fact that I said it, please understand that I do not buy into the whole “it is immoral to be skeptical of the Christian religion” argument or accept that I MUST believe what my parents taught me as a young child..

1. At its most fundamental level, Christianity requires a belief that an all-knowing, all-powerful, immortal being created the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies 13,720,000,000 years ago (the age of the Universe) sat back and waited 10,000,000,000 years for the Earth to form, then waited another 3,720,000,000 years for human beings to gradually evolve, then, at some point gave them eternal life and sent its son to Earth to talk about sheep and goats in the Middle East.

While here, this divine visitor exhibits no knowledge of ANYTHING outside of the Iron Age Middle East, including the other continents, 99% of the human race, and the aforementioned galaxies.

Either that, or it all started 6,000 years ago with one man, one woman and a talking snake. Either way “oh come on” just doesn’t quite capture it.

2. This ‘all loving’ god spends his time running the Universe and spying on the approximately 7 billion human beings on planet Earth 24 hours a day, seven days a week. He even reads their minds (or “hears their prayers”, if you see any difference) using some kind of magic telepathic powers. He also keeps his telepathic eye on them when they are not praying, so as to know if they think bad thoughts (such as coveting their neighbor) so he knows whether to reward or punish them after they die.

3. Having withheld any evidence of his existence, this god will then punish those who doubt him with an eternity burning in hell. I don’t have to kill, I don’t have to steal, I don’t even have to litter. All I have to do is harbor an honest, reasonable and rational disbelieve in the Christian god and he will inflict a grotesque penalty on me a billion times worse than the death penalty – and he loves me.

4. The above beliefs are based on nothing more than a collection of Bronze and Iron Age Middle Eastern mythology, much of it discredited, that was cobbled together into a book called the “Bible” by people we know virtually nothing about, before the Dark Ages.

5. The stories of Christianity are not even original. They are borrowed directly from earlier mythology from the Middle East. Genesis and Exodus, for example, are clearly based on earlier Babylonian myths such as The Epic of Gilgamesh, and the Jesus story itself is straight from the stories about Apollonius of Tyana, Horus and Dionysus (including virgin birth, the three wise men, the star in the East, birth at the Winter solstice, a baptism by another prophet, turning water into wine, crucifixion and rising from the dead).

6. The Bible is also literally infested with contradictions, outdated morality, and open support for the most barbarous acts of cruelty – including, genocide, murder, slavery, r.ape and the complete subjugation of women. All of this is due to when and where it was written, the morality of the times and the motives of its authors and compilers. While this may be exculpatory from a literary point of view, it also screams out the fact that it is a pure product of man, bereft of any divine inspiration.

7. A rejection of the supernatural elements of Christianity does not require a rejection of its morality. Most atheists and secular humanists share a large amount of the morality taught today by mainstream Christianity. To the extent we reject Christian morality, it is where it is outdated or mean spirited – such as in the way it seeks to curtail freedoms or oppose the rights of $exual minorities. In most other respects, our basic moral outlook is indistinguishable from that of the liberal Christian – we just don’t need the mother of all carrots and sticks hanging over our head in order to act in a manner that we consider moral.

Falsely linking morality to a belief in the supernatural is a time-tested “three card trick” religion uses to stop its adherents from asking the hard questions. So is telling them it is “wrong to doubt.” This is probably why there is not one passage in the Bible in support of intelligence and healthy skepticism, but literally hundreds in support of blind acceptance and blatant gullibility.

8. We have no idea of who wrote the four Gospels, how credible or trustworthy they were, what ulterior motives they had (other than to promote their religion) or what they based their views on. We know that the traditional story of it being Matthew, Mark, Luke and John is almost certainly wrong. For example, the Gospel of Matthew includes a scene in which Jesus meets Matthew, recounted entirely in the third person!! Nevertheless, we are called upon to accept the most extraordinary claims by these unknown people, who wrote between 35 to 65 years after Christ died and do not even claim to have been witnesses. It is like taking the word of an unknown Branch Davidian about what happened to David Koresh at Waco – who wrote 35 years after the fact and wasn’t there.

9. When backed into a corner, Christianity admits it requires a “leap of faith” to believe it. However, once one accepts that pure faith is a legitimate reason to believe in something (which it most certainly is not, any more than “faith” that pixies exist is) one has to accept all other gods based on exactly the same reasoning. One cannot be a Christian based on the “leap of faith” – and then turn around and say those who believe in, for example, the Hindu gods, based on the same leap, got it wrong. In a dark room without features, any guess by a blind man at the direction of the door is as valid as the other 359 degrees.

Geography and birthplace dictates what god(s) one believes in. Every culture that has ever existed has had its own gods and they all seem to favor that particular culture, its hopes, dreams, and prejudices. Do you think they all exist? If not, why only yours?

Faith is not belief in a god. It is a mere hope for a god, a wish for a god, no more substantial than the hope for a good future and no more universal than the language you speak or the baseball team you support.

October 20, 2013 at 8:06 am |
    • Maro

You miss the point of religion my brother. All religions speak of a being who started it all, in your life you should seek where you came from, the light inside you, the invisible energy that operates your body (like a driver operates a car) will leave your organic shell one day. All your doubt in a endless light will come to pass. Religion is the rememberence of where you came from before you learned anything, you came from something but the world, this world of flesh has given you the belief to believe in nothing, but belief, just the grain of a mustard seed of belief and a will to seek it out will lead you to why you are here on this earth, n this shell you call a body. Its not about america or any society's before or after it, it is to attune for the atroscity's you've committed before your birth - my friend, we are here to be humbled. To learn to love and work through these lives together in peace. I hope - this helps lead you to the truth of your existence, Colin.

October 20, 2013 at 8:23 am |
      • JWT

Yawn – mythology

October 20, 2013 at 9:53 am |
      • G to the T

"You miss the point of religion my brother. All religions speak of a being who started it all, in your life you should seek where you came from, the light inside you, the invisible energy that operates your body (like a driver operates a car) will leave your organic shell one day."

Your understanding of world religions and their beliefs seems frighteningly uneducated.

October 22, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
    • elliott carlin

Cut & paste, every Sunday
      Rinse and repeat.

*yawn*

October 20, 2013 at 8:46 am |
      • Colin

And never answered other than (i) to point out some defect in my personality for posting it; or (ii) to tell me I am generally "wrong" but without addressing anything I say. Just look at the two posts to date.

October 20, 2013 at 8:52 am |
        • Elliott Carlin

Well, there's so much ignorance present in your comments, but #8 is particularly lacking in any knowledge of the Scriptures. By your 'rules of evidence' we'll have to discount a lot of non-fiction and other literature out there which is also based on fact. You're obviously the smartest guy in the room, so i'm sure you'll be able to figure it all out. LOL

October 20, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
        • Crom

October 21, 2013 at 12:46 am |
        • Colin

Elliott – what I said is pretty much generally accepted by religious scholars. It isn't even contraversial! We do not know who wrote the 4 gospels, they were written between 40-65 years after JEsus died by people who never met him, all writing in different countries to where Jesus lived (Syria, Rome, Greece and Turkey resepectively for M,M,L and J) and in a different language. Add to that the fact that we don't even have the original gospels, just copies made at least 150 years after the originals were penned and the gospels we have today become extremely questionable as to what they can tell us about Jesus' life. There is no way around this, I'm afraid.

As to your comment on other historical works, you are right. To the extent historical facts are based on one or two old accounts, those facts become questionable. History is all about probability. The big difference is, nobody believes in supernatural events (walking on water, rising from the dead etc.) based on any other historical doc.uments. But for some reason, when if comes tothe 4 Gospels, we are called upon to shut down our critical thinking and adopt mind numbing gullibility to believe such things – which we never would in any other historical docu.ment.

When the Gosples are analysied like any other historical doc.ument, they lose all credibility.

October 21, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
        • aldewacs2

Crom said: "Gee, Colin, they seem annoyed with you. I guess you aren't quite managing to make the impact you were hoping for, eh?"
          ===
          I took it as just the opposite: "Gee, Colin, they seem annoyed with you. I guess you managed to get them thinking. – an unfamiliar activity for some."

October 28, 2013 at 1:17 pm |

----------------

... http://www.GODisIMAGINARY.com ...

... and thank goodness ...

... because he emanates from the ..

... http://www.EVILbible.com ...

--------------–.

October 20, 2013 at 9:04 am |
    • klingstreet108

Is all this true? How do you know?

October 20, 2013 at 10:23 am |
  20. TheSpike

Who is this dude?

October 20, 2013 at 8:00 am |
    • saggyroy

According to the article he's the most popular musician on the planet. But it doesn't say which planet.

October 20, 2013 at 8:08 am |