home
RSS
October 22nd, 2013

The prayers inside the President's Blackberry

Opinion by Joshua DuBois, Special to CNN

Washington (CNN) - One thing is for sure: I didn't feel ready to send morning devotionals to the next President of the United States.

I was a young staffer, 25 years old, on Barack Obama's 2008 campaign. I had known Obama for a few years, and at the time worked as faith outreach director for his campaign.

In addition to my professional role reaching out to the faith community, I also personally prayed for Obama by myself each day. I had been an associate pastor at a small Pentecostal church in Boston, and my Christian faith was, and is, the guiding force of my life.

But I wasn't some famous mega-church pastor or internationally known cleric. I went to public policy school, not seminary, and although I loved Scripture and history and could write a bit, I was still learning more about Jesus every day.

But one day I felt a tug at my spirit, a sense that this young candidate needed some support. Not Secret Service protection or policy advice or political strategy - he had plenty of that. I thought he needed some folks who were caring for his spirit, his soul.

So I wrote an e-mail and sent it to Obama's personal BlackBerry, a meditation on the 23rd Psalm. It was about finding restoration and rest even when trouble brews.

I didn't know how he would respond. But in just a few minutes, he got back to me and said the message helped him, and he'd like me to continue each day.

We kept this quiet practice for years, spanning the campaign and the White House. But one day in a round table with religion reporters before his visit with then-Pope Benedict XVI, Obama reflected on what these devotionals meant to him.

“One last little note of sustenance, a little note is, is that Joshua does a wonderful service for me and he actually sends me a devotional on my BlackBerry every morning,” Obama told the reporters, “which is actually something that he started doing I think when I was really having a tough time during the campaign.

"And it was just such a wonderful practice that we’ve continued it ever since. So every morning I get something to reflect on, which I very much appreciate.”

MORE ON CNN: What's next for President Obama's 'pastor-in-chief'

I wasn't always sure which meditations the President liked best, but he would tell me on occasion in the West Wing hallway, "I really enjoyed that one today," or when I missed a day or two, he'd notice that as well. And his former personal assistant, Reggie Love, would call me to make sure I started sending them again.

The President seemed particularly to appreciate the devotionals that wove together culture with Scripture, and he is a fan of history and jazz, so I came back to these sources regularly.

He’s pretty private about his spiritual life, but here are a few of the devotionals that, knowing what I know about the President, were likely to be among his favorites:

1. One devotional tied together King David, the Hebrew monarch and psalm writer and Nina Simone, the great jazz singer. Both musicians had an uncanny ability to write joyful lyrics even in the middle of the dark melodies and situations.

The devotional concluded with a point I thought might be music to the Obama's ears.

"Nina Simone and David remind us of one unimpeachable fact: whatever situation we face, the lyrics we sing today are completely up to us. We can choose to shout above the din outside our window and sing louder than the ominous noise approaching our lives."

2. Another devotional reflected on rejoicing even amid tough times, using the lesson of the late British Prime Minister David Lloyd George, who led a beleaguered Britain from 1916-1922.

George was faced with an economic crisis, the Irish Liberation movement and World War I all at the same time. Still, he once declared with a smile, "I find that a change of nuisance is as good as a vacation.”

This reminded me of a verse on joy in suffering in 1st Peter, which I shared with the President. “In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.”

MORE ON CNN: In Obama’s first term, an evolving Christian faith

3. Another meditation began, "Johnny Cash was a glutton for redemption."

Growing up in Tennessee, I became a big fan of the "Man in Black," and this devotional reflected on the need to run toward grace, as Cash, a sinner and saint par excellence, did so often.

We often have a tendency to hide our sin in the dark, instead of bringing it to God’s feet. Cash was remarkably candid about his shortcomings, and his daily need for grace - that’s something from which we can all learn.

4. And another favorite expounded on the example that Eleanor Roosevelt set for us on humility.

"I'm glad I never feel important - it does complicate life," she was known to say.

In the way she lived her life, Roosevelt echoed the words of Paul’s letter to the Philippians: “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.” Humility paves a pathway to relationships with others, while pride always tends to get in the way.

5. Most of the devotionals weren't about tough times or political figures at all.

They were simply about how to appreciate the character and nature of God, and grow closer to him each day, even among people who’d like nothing more than to see us fail.

One day, I decided to include this quote from James Baldwin, the great 20th-century writer, who said, "I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain."

The devotional concluded with a prayer of forgiveness for those who had wronged us, and a request that God would help heal any underlying pain.

There were many more - thousands over the years - and I've tried to capture the best of them in my new book, “The President's Devotional.”

While Obama's day-to-day life is certainly unique, at a deeper level, I imagine that the joys and challenges he meets aren’t too different from our own.

Like us, he wants to how to love God and those around us and how to start each day with real, lasting peace.

I hope my devotionals, which I still send to the President every day, have helped him find a little oasis of spiritual peace in his e-mail inbox, and I hope they’ll do the same for others as well.

Joshua DuBois is author of "The President's Devotional: The Daily Readings that Inspired President Obama" and former head of the White House faith-based initiative. You can find more about him on his website, www.joshuadubois.com

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Barack Obama • Belief • Bible • Christianity • Faith • Obama • Opinion • Politics

1. Travis Jr.

"I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.">/I>

Truer words were never spoken!

October 23, 2013 at 8:27 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

"Ignorance is the root of fear and fear is the kindling of anger."
      – Dr. Greg Graffin

“I wrapped myself in anger, with a dash of hate, and at the bottom of it all was an icy center of pure terror.”
      ― Laurell K. Hamilton

"Fear leads to hate, hate leads to anger and anger leads to suffering."
      – Jedi Master Yoda

October 23, 2013 at 8:52 am |
      • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Desire or attachment, delusion, and hatred are the roots of all suffering.

Buddhist Principle

October 23, 2013 at 9:06 am |
        • Russ

@ TTTOO: so you should never be "attached" to your children?
          such Jedi Knight/Buddhist/Stoic detachment is actually a SOURCE of suffering – not the answer to suffering.

October 23, 2013 at 11:14 am |
        • Alias

Nice job taking things out of contest and criticizing instaed of trying to understand what it actually means.

October 23, 2013 at 11:24 am |
        • Russ

@ Alias: that's not taking it out of context. ask a practicing buddhist about love & emotive connections.
          if you're a Star Wars buff, what causes Anakin's demise (breaking the Jedi code)? attachment to his mom & wife. why is that bad? (yet, in Lucas' favor, he uses that same attachment to his son to redeem him – NOT a buddhist principle.)
          read some Stoics. they make the same claim.

October 23, 2013 at 11:51 am |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I'm a bit too primal for that kind of detachment, Russ. However, if we're talking about one's own suffering, the principles no doubt do work.

October 23, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
        • Russ

i appreciate the honest, TTTOO. but how can one be selectively detached with foundational life principles? it certainly would make me think there were simply other, *greater* principles underlying.

October 23, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Russ, let me try to skirt the "greater principles". There's a part of your thalamus, the DM nucleus. If it is sufficiently damaged, pain becomes just another sensation with no no connotations good or bad. The prefrontal cortex has areas that allow one to feel empathy. Other emotions, other areas... Someone might, in principle, gain control over the physiology of (personal) suffering. So it may be able to realize the Buddhist goal of eliminating personal suffering. I agree that the people around a person who was successful at it might suffer for various reasons.

October 23, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
        • Russ

@ TTTOO: are you suggesting a brain-damaged person is better equipped for thriving in human existence?

again, whether physiological, sociological, or metaphysical, i disagree on all counts. i believe our human existence is not something to be escaped, but which needs to be more greatly pressed in. and yet i recognize that's because of what I believe ultimate Reality to be: a God who honored that existence not only by creating it, but also by voluntarily entering into it himself & redeeming it after those he created had corrupted it.

i can understand how a non-Christian might regard that belief as its own form of escapism, but – unlike Buddhism – regarded from within its own self-articulation, it is the very opposite of escapism. and it bears fruit along those lines: biblical Christians are called to pursue cultivating a world of thriving in *this* existence, not merely to plan to escape or detach. and that is a radically different approach to human existence than those who believe the ultimate calling is to *detach* from this existence.

October 23, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Russ, points on the physiology of suffering were made to suggest that, since there is a physiology of suffering, someone might be able to gain control over it. I suppose brain damage of certain kinds might advance someone toward the goal of less suffering. I don't advocate it. And I don't think all suffering is to be avoided: Personally I enjoy food that bites back – extremely spicy, bitter sometimes, salty, sour, they all add up to an overall experience that I enjoy. I prefer a bit of pain in combat sports. I like being frustrated a bit when solving problems. It would be nice to have control over suffering, though. Do you disagree?

October 23, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
        • Russ

@ TTTOO: i do not disagree with wanting to be in control of suffering. but i don't think that's the point we were discussing – especially since it still doesn't answer the overarching issue: what is the point of suffering? why would one? etc.

October 23, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Russ, I think suffering in humans is a form of what every organism that has a nervous system uses to bring about avoidance of harmful things. More elaborate by far than what happens in roundworms, but with origins in what they use. You're more inclined towards metaphysics. Is suffering evil? Is it positive (Gödel's "positive")? Does it exist because your God wants it to exist?

October 23, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
        • Russ

@ TTTOO: i'm not just "more inclined" toward metaphysics – i want to bring the discussion to its clear root & point of divide. i think your question about suffering is bringing it there.

it sounds like you simply see suffering as useful – a necessary tool of existence. is that your perspective? not good, not bad, just there. most folks aren't willing to stare down injustice and say such things. is that what you are saying?

yes, i'm asking you to out your philosophical underpinnings.

October 23, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Russ, I don't see that the perception of suffering, or happiness, for that matter, is rooted in anything other than the physical world. That's why I touched on the physiology of suffering. Since you asked for underpinnings, I did question whether that is all there is to suffering – I think not. It's hard to get at without analogy or generalization or rambling a bit. We have a direction that we believe the world should go in – and yes there is more to the world than its physical aspects. One kind of suffering comes from knowing that the world, perhaps even a non-physical part of it, is not going as we believe it should.

October 23, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
        • Sara

Suffering is bad, but the definition I use of "bad" which is reducing wellbeing and increasing suffering. It is not evil by the definition I use of that word, which is intentionally increasing another's suffering with either blatant disregard or as an end in itself. Intentionally inflicting suffering to enjoy watching it would be evil.

October 23, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
      • Robert Brown

Doc,
        Pride leads to anger which leads to hate.
        -Me

October 23, 2013 at 11:11 am |
        • sam stone

i was born guilty, but guilt is not the impetus for my belief – robbie (i can't be wrong about god) brown

October 24, 2013 at 6:00 am |
        • Crom

LOL@sam

October 24, 2013 at 11:29 pm |
  2. Bootyfunk

hopefully people realize you don't need god to be a good person.
    guilt, fear and ignorance are the pillars of religion.

October 23, 2013 at 8:02 am |
    • truthprevails1

The more we keep it out of public education the sooner we will start to see the end. Sadly these kids will learn that their parents have mislead them all these years but better they find out before they have children and pass the lies on.

October 23, 2013 at 8:15 am |
      • ?

A Topher message disappeared there may be a god after all, praise Daniel all praise Daniel.

October 23, 2013 at 9:50 am |
        • ?

Topher, please, if anyone on this blog deflects a question or is obtuse on this blog, it is you, as sam would say you are a coward. BTW most of your posts avoid answering a question by posing a question, like a 6 year old child.

October 23, 2013 at 10:03 am |
        • Lionly Lamb

Why..?

October 23, 2013 at 10:52 am |
  3. The grove

October 23, 2013 at 8:02 am |
  4. Angeline

If some one wishes to be updated with most up-to-date technologies then he must be pay a visit this website and be up to date everyday.

October 23, 2013 at 4:59 am |
  5. Neo Agnostic

Prayer changes nothing.

October 23, 2013 at 2:41 am |
    • Blasphemer

I keep praying for a Playboy Bunny but so far no luck.

October 23, 2013 at 2:58 am |
      • Doc Vestibule

You aren't praying correctly.
        You need to invoke St. Raphael, the Patron Saint of *ahem* "Happy Meetings".

October 23, 2013 at 9:10 am |
    • Moderate this

This is bull sh it some commie qu eer can post but an honest response is removed. Give me liberty o
      r give me death.

October 23, 2013 at 10:32 am |
      • Neo Agnostic

This is CNN's website and comments can be removed if they deem them inappropriate. Your freedom of speech hasn't been impinged upon, you still got to say what you want. Just that someone found it unsuitable and removed it. You have the freedom of speech, but not freedom of consequences of what you said. CNN is a private site and can removed what ever they want and there is nothing you can do about it.

October 23, 2013 at 11:17 am |
        • Moderate this

Bull sh it this is America

October 23, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
      • sam

We're all bereft over the fact that you can't figure out how to get around the word filter, douchebag.

October 23, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
      • sam stone

i suggest you go for door #2

October 24, 2013 at 6:05 am |
  6. Retarded Jesus

Matthew 7:12 Do it to them first and then the will do it to you. I need to change my pants...

October 23, 2013 at 2:12 am |
  7. Deep thoughts

Religion supports nobody. It has to be supported. It produces no wheat, no corn; it ploughs no land; it fells no forests. It is a perpetual mendicant. It lives on the labor of others, and then has the arrogance to pretend that it supports the giver.

Robert Ingersoll

October 23, 2013 at 2:01 am |
    • Charm Quark

In times gone by the two largest service industries medicine and religion were performed by shaman/medicine men/witchdoctors and even the so called messiah and the saints made their reputations on miracle cures. Too bad we could not turn all the churches and temples into hostels and hospitals to look after the poor and sick, starting with the Vatican that does not practice anything near what Christians preach.

October 23, 2013 at 8:20 am |
    • nclaw441

Deep thoughts, the same might be said of love....

October 23, 2013 at 11:35 am |
    • lngtrmthnkr

thrir religion supports their spirit,

October 23, 2013 at 11:46 am |
  8. Deep thoughts

It took two world wars for the Europeans to realize that the prayers of millions of people were not answered. It doesn't take much intelligence to see that the god isn't working too well when 92 million people die in two world wars, or to see the complicity and cooperation of the Pope, Lutheran clergy and Christians with Hitler during WWII.

The God Virus

Why hasn't America learned this?

October 23, 2013 at 1:42 am |
    • speltomqt

When will you start sharing the deep thoughts?

By the way, Christians fought on both sides during World War II. As did atheists.

October 23, 2013 at 2:19 am |
      • Deep thoughts

Most of Europe is non-religious. What will it take for America to realize that there is no god watching over? Why is America so far behind in this area of human advancement?

October 23, 2013 at 9:09 am |
        • nclaw441

How are the actions of Europeans proof that God does not exist?

October 23, 2013 at 11:36 am |
        • Deep thoughts

Who said anything about proof that god does not exist? The Europeans have come to realize that there is no proof that god does exist.

October 23, 2013 at 11:53 am |
        • Alias

The christians have had a serious majority in America for longer.
          Europe came to its sences when they were exposed to other religions and ideas.
          America still has a strong christian influence in our culture, textbooks and schools, but the internet is saving us!
          Young people are seeing the world differently than our parents did, and they are turning away from religion in droves.

October 23, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
    • Sara

If your theory is rights, you answered it yourself, no?

October 23, 2013 at 2:45 am |
    • guest

These things have been prophesied, expect this and worse things to happen. This is the result of sin, not the lack of God's love. If nothing but good happened to Christians; would you be a faithful believer? God doesn't want you just so good things happen to you, He wants you to love, obey and believe on Him. John 14:15 15 “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.”

Matthew 24:3 – 14, 23 – 26, 36 – 44, New King James Version (NKJV)
      The Signs of the Times and the End of the Age
      “3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”
      4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
      9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the entire world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.”
      23 “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you beforehand.
      26 “Therefore if they say to you, ‘Look, He is in the desert!’ do not go out; or ‘Look, He is in the inner rooms!’ do not believe it. 27 For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 28 For wherever the carcass is, there the eagles will be gathered together.”
      No One Knows the Day or Hour
      36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. 37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 38 For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39 and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 40 Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left. 42 Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. 43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”

October 23, 2013 at 7:33 am |
      • Doc Vestibule

' The age of evil has come to the world . Everyone steals and hoards great wealth, and sensual sin rules the day. The end of the world is at hand – yet men are hard and cruel, and listen not to the doom that is coming . No one heeds the cries of his neighbour, or lifts a hand to save. ' – The Ragnarok (1000 CE )
        Just as most religions have a creation myth, so do they have end of the world prophecies.
        The King of the World appeared before the lamas of a Mongolian monastery in 1890 and made prophecies for the coming half century.
        "More and more the people will forget their souls and care only about their bodies. The greatest sin and corruption will reign on the EarthPeople will become as ferocious as animals, thirsting for the blood and death of their brothers.... The crowns of kings, great and small, will fall... one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight... There will be a terrible battle among al the peoples. Kingdoms will be scattered... whole peoples will die... hunger, disease, crimes unknown to the law, never before seen in the world. The enemies of God and the Divine Spirit in man will come. There will be fogs and storms; earthquakes will come... Millions will change the fetters of slavery and humiliation for hunger, disease and death. The greatest and most beautiful cities will perish in fire... Truth and love shall disappear.”

The Hopi tribe believe it will come when the Saquasohuh (Blue Star) Kachina dances in the plaza and removes his mask. The time is foretold by a song sung during the Wuwuchim ceremony, describing the disunity, corruption, and hatred contaminating Hopi rituals, which were followed by the same evils spreading over the world.
        They say The United States will be destroyed, land and people, by atomic bombs and radioactivity. The war will be "a spiritual conflict with material matters. Material matters will be destroyed by spiritual beings who will remain to create one world and one nation under one power, that of the Creator."
        Doomsayers are never wrong, so long as they aren’t foolish enough to assign a specific date.

October 23, 2013 at 8:28 am |
        • guest

It most likely is that other religious leaders retained some of the messages given by God in their apostasies from the true God when Adam and Eve were ejected from Eden (actually deprived of. There are remnants of other stories found in the Bible; almost every culture has the story of the flood to one degree of another also the tower of Babble.
          So, because other religions have, more or less, a message of the end of this age as we know it only strengthens the message, not the other way around. There are even nonreligious people today who think that the evil of men will eventually lead to annulation of mankind.
          Oh, by the way, Christianity, except a few people like Harold Camping, does not give a date and time for the return of Christ (the end of the world). And BTW, Christians are not doomsayers because we are looking for a better time; we would really like you to come along.
          Wish I could stay online, but gota' go.

October 23, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
        • Doc Vestibule

“Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have appeared; from this we know that it is the last hour.”
          —1 John 2:18
          Christians have been waiting on tenterhooks for the Second Coming since the Bible itself was written.
          Many have prophesied the exact time of date of His return and ALL have been wrong.
          George Rapp said it would be September 15th, 1829.
          William Miller predicted October 22, 1844. Jesus’ failure to arrive is known as “The Great Disappointment”. Many of his disillusioned followers went on the found the 7th Day Adventist Church, who are still patiently awaiting His return.
          Charles Russell, 1st President of the Watchtower Society told his fellow Jehovah’s Witnesses that Jesus would be back in 1874.
          Rudolf Steiner maintained that from 1930 onwards, Jesus would grant certain people psychic powers to enable them to witness his presence in the “etheric plane”.
          Herbert Armstrong, Pastor General of the Worldwide Church of God said 1975.
          Bill Maupin managed to convince his followers to sell all of their worldly goods in preparation for Jesus’ return on June 28th, 1981.
          Benjamin Crème stated that on June 21st, 1982 Christ would make a worldwide television announcement.
          Mark Blitz, Pastor of El Shaddai Ministries says it would be September 30th, 2008
          Jerry Falwell said it’d happen between 1999 and 2009.
          Harold Camping told everyone that the Rapture would happen May 21, 2011 after failing in his first predicted date of 1994.

Conversely, many believe He’s all ready come in the form of Sun Myung Moon, Emanuel Swedenborg, Baha u llah, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, David Koresh, Hailie Selassie, John Thom, Arnold Potter, William Davies, George roux, Ernest Norman, Krishna Venta, Ahn Sahng-Hong, Jim Jones, Mashall Applewhite, Hulon Mitchell, Wayne Bent, Ariffin Mohammed, Mitsuo Matayoshi, Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda, Inri Cristo, Thomas Provenzano, David Icke, Shoko Asahara, Hogan Fukinaga, Marina Tsvigun or Sergei Troop.

October 23, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
      • Charm Quark

Utter nonsense, but we all should be able to see Comet Ison right soon. A sign from god as some will claim or just another natural phenomena? Two thousands years ago it would have been seen as the former by the unknowing writers of the bible.

October 23, 2013 at 8:29 am |
        • Charm Quark

Noy you, Doc, the guest that loves to post bible verses, so original.

October 23, 2013 at 8:30 am |
      • R.M. Goodswell

All those end of the world prophecies the religious speak of are just logical predictions that people will wake of to the fact that religion is pure BS and turn away....the death of that religion. So they always put an apocalyptic prophecy in the mix to keep people in those pews and cash landing on the trays as long as possible.

October 23, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
    • lngtrmthnkr

free will implies that we have the freedom to be at war or at peace.Un fortunately we seem to choose war as the answer to our disputes rather than resolve our differences by diplomacy. However, when one country tries to take over another by force the victom has to respond.We've allways been warlike throughout history.you would think we would learn ,but we hav'nt.

October 23, 2013 at 11:54 am |
  9. GodFreeNow

All praise be to our lord and savior, Technology.

October 23, 2013 at 12:59 am |
  10. tallulah13

So why in the world would the President of the United States use a Blackberry?

October 23, 2013 at 12:03 am |
    • Lionly Lamb

It's a "skin" thing...

October 23, 2013 at 10:42 am |
    • BRC

Back in 2008 they hadn't found a way to put our government's secure mobiel e-mail programs on the IPhone or Android platforms yet, they had only developed it for Blackberry, PALM treos, and a few more obscure models.

October 23, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
  11. Tom, Tom, the Other One

I wonder if God is in the Blackberry too? I don't know why, but the title of this article reminds me of the Lady in the Radiator in the movie Eraserhead. What other odd things are in there?

October 22, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • Akira

Eraserhead! Whoa, that takes me back! I was pregnant with my first child when my husband decided to take me to see that, the bonehead.

October 22, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
      • Tom, Tom, the Other One

"Shut up Mother, they’re still not sure it is a baby!"

October 23, 2013 at 7:39 am |
    • tallulah13

You gotta love that David Lynch. Not a normal thought in his head.

October 23, 2013 at 12:05 am |
      • sam stone.

eraserhead was weird. lost highway was weirder, like the elephant man (mel brooks was one of the executive producers).

October 24, 2013 at 6:15 am |
  12. WOT

when a person is in a den of (EVIL) thieves all of God's help is needed from EVERYONE.

October 22, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
  13. S Kopfter

"Lo" said the angel as the people of Harrton watched her dance around the pole, "I have come to give you gratis a view of Heaven for the wealth you do have is nothing compared to it."
    And then did their eyes bung out with lust and desire, for the angel started removing a Holey Garment whereupon rays of light shot out with the force of a thousand suns and blinded all those present.
    "I shall turn down the Heavenly Disco Lights," said one of the cherubic attendants. And the people did rejoice.
    – Verse Seven, Gospel of Zeke L

October 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm |
  14. Colin

It amuses me when evangelicals criticize Obama by saying "he's a Muslim," as if the whole Allah and Mohammed BS is any more improbable than the whole God and Jesus BS.

Same childish sky-fairy nonsense with different rituals and holidays.....

October 22, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
  15. Bob Boogie

Obama claimed to follow Jesus (who said he was the only way to heaven) and in the next breath said he believed there were many ways to heaven. Its like saying I am a vegetarian and I love to eat meat. Which is it?

October 22, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • middleclassman

It is not in Christian tradition to hurt people depending on you. Today I received a letter from Keystone East that hurt me deeply. My insurance was canceled to comply with Obamacare. My new offer went up to $800 (25%), my services are reduced dramatically.
      It is not in Christian tradition to lie. He promised that if I like my insurance, I can keep it. I cannot.
      It is wrong to pray for people and then hurt them.

October 22, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
      • Jack Uz

Liar. You haven't even checked the ACA to see how much money you'd save through it. Die in a fire you filthy scum.

October 22, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
        • middleclassman

You will believe it when it hits you. Unless you never had an insurance and looking for a free stuff. I am not alone. Millions of people are or will be in the same situation.The media will not be able to cover it up and all lies will be exposed.

October 22, 2013 at 10:34 pm |
    • Lionly Lamb

Seven Day Adventists are Vegetarians yet many of them eat soy based meats replacing the real thing... It's kind of like many people replacing naturally occurring drugs with synthesized ones...

October 22, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
  16. Roger that

Someday the president's religious preference will once again be insignificant The way it was when this country was founded.

October 22, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Butter side up – always. And it will always matter.

October 22, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • til

isnt obama a muslim?

October 22, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
  17. Don & Mike

We still want to know what happened to Marion Barry's Blackberry.

October 22, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
  18. Reality # 2

And bringing it all crashing to the ground in less than ten seconds:

Only for the eyes of J. Dubois:

Putting the kibosh on all religion in less than ten seconds: Priceless !!!

• As far as one knows or can tell, there was no Moses i.e. the pillars of Judaism, Christianity and Islam have no strength of purpose.

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

• A constant cycle of reincarnation until enlightenment is reached and belief that various beings (angels?, tinker bells? etc.) exist that we, as mortals, cannot comprehend makes for a no on Sikhism.

Added details available upon written request.

October 22, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
    • Lionly Lamb

Defamatory pickling sarcasms against the aged literacies of the religious humanoids shows others your narrowed bigotry albeit censored and congealed towards infantile bickering...

October 22, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
    • The poet and the cardiologist

Poet: "My heart weeps with the beauty that fills it and it sings to me."

Cardiologist: "Tears are from your lacrimal ducts, in your eyes. A heart's chambers only fill with blood and it contains no vocal chords so therefore it can not sing."

Poet: *sigh*

October 22, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
  19. Lionly Lamb

October 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
    • snowboarder

these videos I don't watch are a huge improvement over the garbage you usually attempt to write.

October 22, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
      • Lionly Lamb

The garbage of one person is the treasure of someone else...

I am all for medicinal Cannabis usage... and you snow..? Recreational 'drug' use such as is currently allowed by law here in the U.S. puts upon the general populace many social discords that have tendencies to demoralize the individual welfares thereby lowering the nation's social wellbeing... Synthetically made pharmaceutical drugs cannot replace naturally occurring drugs and such synthetics are apt to be more harmful and way more addictive than the naturally occurring ones.

October 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm |
  20. Joyful

Yes great job in following the leading of the Holy Spirit to pray for those in authority

October 22, 2013 at 5:27 pm |