home
RSS
October 23rd, 2013

Vatican suspends German bishop amid spending investigation

By the CNN Belief Blog Editors
[twitter-follow screen_name='CNNBelief']

(CNN) - The Vatican said Wednesday it has suspended a German bishop who has come under fire for his extravagant lifestyle.

Bishop Franz-Peter Tebartz-Van Elst is under investigation for his spending after his residence in Limburg, Germany, was renovated for $42 million.

The Vatican says Tebartz-Van Elst cannot carry out his ministry as long as the investigation in ongoing, and he's been ordered to stay outside his diocese.

Coined the "Bling Bishop," Tebartz-Van Elst, who is known as theologically conservative, has denied any wrongdoing, saying the cost overruns on the renovation are legitimate because surrounding structures had to be protected, including the old city wall.

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bishops • Catholic Church • Christianity • Church and state • Europe • Germany • Money & Faith • Pope Francis • Vatican

1. bostontola

To all religious people:

Please comment on the other religions' god(s). Is it easy to see them as false, man made god(s)? These false god(s) have human emotions and behave like powerful humans, it's clear they are false, correct?

October 25, 2013 at 11:53 am |
    • Observer

A god is an idol and usually made of stone or wood, easily discernible from God by everyone except your kind.

October 25, 2013 at 11:57 am |

😉

October 25, 2013 at 11:58 am |
      • Doc Vestibule

What would that make a crucifix then?
        You know – the Christian idols depicting torture....
        An image of a god is not the same as the god itself.

October 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
        • G to the T

I think he's referring to a very OLD christian argument they used to use against polytheists. Really don't believe any of those people thought the statue was god. A conduit to god certainly, but not the god itself. That wouldn't even make sense on a bunch of levels...

October 25, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
    • Born2BModerated

But people can be vain and jealuos – and even get angry.
      No one ever said that about god, did they?

October 25, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
  2. Doris

This photo of this Bishop is really creepy. I'm thinking Clive Barker will not be able to resist and will try to contact him about a bit part.

October 25, 2013 at 11:37 am |
  3. Vic

Jesus Christ's Death, Resurrection Foretold

Matthew 20:17-19

"17 As Jesus was about to go up to Jerusalem, He took the twelve disciples aside by themselves, and on the way He said to them, 18 “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem; and the Son of Man will be delivered to the chief priests and scribes, and they will condemn Him to death, 19 and will hand Him over to the Gentiles to mock and scourge and crucify Him, and on the third day He will be raised up.”"

Mark 10:32-34

"32 They were on the road going up to Jerusalem, and Jesus was walking on ahead of them; and they were amazed, and those who followed were fearful. And again He took the twelve aside and began to tell them what was going to happen to Him, 33 saying, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be delivered to the chief priests and the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death and will hand Him over to the Gentiles. 34 They will mock Him and spit on Him, and scourge Him and kill Him, and three days later He will rise again.”"

Luke 18:31-33

"31 Then He took the twelve aside and said to them, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and all things which are written through the prophets about the Son of Man will be accomplished. 32 For He will be handed over to the Gentiles, and will be mocked and mistreated and spit upon, 33 and after they have scourged Him, they will kill Him; and the third day He will rise again.”"

All Scripture Is From:

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation

October 25, 2013 at 11:19 am |
    • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Using the book to prove the book, huh? I could give quotations from Blood Meridian, it doesn't mean that Judge Holden is really the personification of human depravity.

October 25, 2013 at 11:22 am |
      • Doris

Yes, self-fulfilling prophesy stories are a dime a dozen.

October 25, 2013 at 11:28 am |
      • Vic

The Bible is not a novel. Blood Meridian is a novel.

October 25, 2013 at 11:28 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Of course the Bible is a novel (well, a collection of novels). It's just a collection of stories to keep the kids quiet on a long camel ride.

October 25, 2013 at 11:30 am |
        • Doris

Picky picky picky..

OK, to be fair – Gullible's Travels, Parts 1 & 2

October 25, 2013 at 11:31 am |

Doris

Zing

October 25, 2013 at 11:33 am |
        • Doc Vestibule

Gilgamesh was a real person.
          The Kingdom of Uruk has been unearthed by archaeologists.
          The mighty wall described in the Epic of Gilgamesh has been discovered.
          Therefore, the Epic of Gilgamesh is not a novel either.
          King Gilgamesh was a demi-god who rules for 125 years and visited his friend Enkidu in the Underworld.

October 25, 2013 at 11:33 am |
        • Charm Quark

Vic
          And what exactly have your bible nonsense quotes have anything to do with the Princes of the RCC living the high life, dressing like drag Queens and eyeing the young boys, pray tell?

October 25, 2013 at 11:35 am |
        • Vic

The Bible is a collection of revelations and eyewitness testimonies.

October 25, 2013 at 11:37 am |

Vic

'The Bible is a collection of revelations and eyewitness testimonies'.

It's kinda sweet that you sincerely believe that. It's like the look in a child's eye when talking about Santa.

October 25, 2013 at 11:39 am |
        • Doris

uhhhhhhh.. alleged eyewitness accounts, right Vic?

What were the names of the eyewitnesses? What did they write?

October 25, 2013 at 11:40 am |
        • Vic

Apostles Matthew, Peter, John, and Paul are sold enough eyewitness accounts!

October 25, 2013 at 11:44 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

And Santa definitely flies around the world delivering presents to children.

October 25, 2013 at 11:46 am |
        • Vic

Oh..I am bringing this up, politely, in response to an earlier post about Jesus Christ (A few comments down.)

October 25, 2013 at 11:47 am |
        • Doris

I'm glad that you admit that eyewitness accounts are sold, Vic.

October 25, 2013 at 11:48 am |

Doris

Another zing.

PS
          Did you know Herod had a wife named Doris?

October 25, 2013 at 11:50 am |
        • Vic

Testimonies of Apostles Matthew, Peter, John, and Paul, are solid enough eyewitness accounts!

October 25, 2013 at 11:52 am |
        • Doris

No, I didn't know that. I'll have to tell that one to Archie. lol

October 25, 2013 at 11:53 am |

Vic

'Testimonies of Apostles Matthew, Peter, John, and Paul, are solid enough eyewitness accounts'

Testimony from my little nephew is solid proof of Santa.

October 25, 2013 at 11:54 am |
        • Doris

They can't be very solid if we don't know for sure who the authors are, right Vic?

October 25, 2013 at 11:54 am |

October 25, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Harold Bloom refers to Judge Holden in his writings.

October 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
        • Doris

Josephus? That's a hearsay historian. Even at that, there is strong suspi-cion that the key writings from him were tampered with.

October 25, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
        • Ave atque vale

Vic,
          "Flavius Josephus' manuscripts refer to Jesus Christ and the origins of Christianity."

Josephus's writings make a couple of brief mentions about the new Christian sect and what they claimed.

Josephus also mentioned Hercules (and so did Tacitus). I guess that means that Hercules and all of those stories are true, right?

October 25, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
        • G to the T

Vic – we have ZERO evidence that the attributed authors of the bible are who they said (most had the names added/atributed to them at a later date as part of tradition) and some evidence against the proposition. And even then the versions of these manuscripts varied wildly before finally being (mostly) nailed down in the modern canon. You can believe the bible is "inspired" as a matter of faith, but asserting anything more isn't supported by the facts on the ground.

October 25, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
      • doc zzz

bible been scrutinized for thousands of years. can't touch it.

major themes are what? love. redemption. sin. forgiveness.

sin destruction. god is holy.

jesus bore sins in his body. offers forgiveness to all.

no errors in the book. not one

October 25, 2013 at 11:49 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

What do you mean 'open or closed'? What the heck does an open system (like earth) have to do with the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

October 25, 2013 at 11:51 am |
        • Doris

While you're at it, you may want to spread a little garlic around your door frames.

October 25, 2013 at 11:52 am |
        • Observer

Even HAL was driven by sin, Davey. Sin lies at your door, dodo and it enlavesbu. Evolution is a joke. Laws of thermodynamics crush it, open or closed. Glad u evolved from a monkey. It shows.

That's y there r 27 billion species. Survival of the fittest!

October 25, 2013 at 12:11 pm |

😉

October 25, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
        • Doc Vestibule

Evolution does not violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics. A common argument against evolution is that entropy, according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, increases over time, and thus evolution could not produce increased complexity. However, the law does not refer to complexity and only applies to isolated systems,[178] where no transfer of heat or matter between the system and its surroundings is allowed. The Earth is not an isolated system, as it absorbs and radiates the Sun's energy.

October 25, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
        • Observer

fake Observer,

Since you lie so much, you are probably an expert on this matter.

So why do you think God was LYING when he said "thou shalt not bear false witness"? Obviously, you don't believe it. Telling the truth is not in your morals.

October 25, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
        • ME II

@doc zzz,
          "u quote darwin to prove darwin? darwin ain't never been proven. never. 2nd law thermodynamics disproves it. open or closed. it is called entropy. look it up."

Actually, scientists use data, experiments, and evidence to confirm the predictions of the modern Theory or Evolution, which do not violate the 2LOT because the Earth is not an isolated system and localized decreases in entropy are not violations of the 2LOT.

October 25, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
      • Ave atque vale

Vic,

Do you think that Roman Emperor Claudius wrote "I, Claudius"?

Did a person named T.S. Garp write "The World According to Garp"?

The authorship of those old writings from the Bible (both OT and NT) is quite hazy. The writings are rampant with historical fiction, hearsay, legend and fantasy.

October 25, 2013 at 11:59 am |

Not a clue!

Keep in mind that the truth resonates. We are equipped to discern the truth for the most part.

October 25, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
        • that

was a side-step, Vic. try some specifics if u can

October 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
        • Vic

Okey dokey...I am a firm believer that the Bible might have scribal, translational and/or interpretational errors regarding certain details; however, the general narrative about God is clear enough and matches our sentience.

October 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

' matches our sentience.'

Elaborate please.

October 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
        • Ave atque vale

Vic,

I don't know how many examples of historical fiction need to be pointed out to you. You don't seem to be aware of the literary genre.

Mount Olympus (and many other places mentioned in their legends and myths) really exists in Greece. Does that mean that 12 gods really live there?

Dickens' "The Christmas Carol" fairly accurately portrays the places and conditions of 19th century England. Does that mean that the supernatural visits of Jacob Marley and the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Yet to Come were real?

All sorts of fiction and fantasy stories are set in real places, some even include real people.

The Bible is a book which includes *some* history of primitive Hebrew culture, and *some* good advice for practical, beneficial human behavior, but mostly it is a compilation of ancient Middle Eastern historical fiction, myth, legend, superst.ition and fantasy.

There is not a whit of verified evidence for any of the supernatural beings or supernatural events in that book.

October 25, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
        • Vic

I believe what you mean is that the Bible is allegorical.

Well, I take the Bible stories by faith while investigating whatever possible to investigate by science. In the meantime, first and for most, whether the Bible stories are true, accurate, close, or not, (so is the case with any other scripture; however, the Lord Jesus Christ is the ONLY that makes sense to me) I firmly believe that there is a God who created all of this existence.

That also brings me to the inquiry about sentience. We humans are sentient beings. We are equipped with feelings, senses and unstructured consciousness. We consciously perceive the existence of God through our spirits, just like we sense and perceive our own as well as surrounding physical existence through our souls and bodies.

October 25, 2013 at 1:07 pm |

Just to clarify:

I believe that God to be the Father, Son (Lord Jesus Christ) and Holy Spirit.

October 25, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • ME II

@Vic,
      I knew you were going to say that...

honest, I really did.... I saw it in a vision.

October 25, 2013 at 11:29 am |
      • Vic

Ah..wonderful..did you see in the vision why I said it?!

October 25, 2013 at 11:32 am |
        • ME II

@Vic,
          Sure, you were inspired to say that so that my prophetic vision would be fulfilled. What other reason could there be?

October 25, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
    • Observer

The verifiable historic facts in "Gone With the Wind" proves that Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler existed, right?.

October 25, 2013 at 11:30 am |
      • Vic

I haven't come across every novel. You can easily stomp me with that!

October 25, 2013 at 11:48 am |
        • Observer

Vic,

You can always "cheat" and watch the movie. 🙂

October 25, 2013 at 11:56 am |

You betcha!

October 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
      • doc zzzz

jesus christ was god's son. proven by numerous sources and the testimony of hundreds of millions. can't deny it. too bad 4 morons of the atheist faith. they r going 2 hell. their choice.

good point observer. gone with the wind insists its true! typical dodo analogy

October 25, 2013 at 11:57 am |

😉

October 25, 2013 at 11:58 am |
        • Born2BModerated

That is not what Mohamad said.
          He moved an entire mountain in front of hundreds of witnesses.
          YOU will be the one smoking turds in muslim hell.

October 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
    • Observer

Santa clause also known as Saint Nickolas was a bishop too.

October 25, 2013 at 11:54 am |
      • dodo

i told you. murdock does this all day and thinks she's brilliant!

athies need some fresh blood

October 25, 2013 at 11:59 am |

😉

October 25, 2013 at 11:59 am |
      • dodo

i told you. murdock does this all day and thinks she's brilliant!

this post will be gone in 10 seconds. dodo don't like being fingered
        athies need some fresh blood

October 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
        • Look in the mirror

does this all day and thinks she's brilliant!

October 25, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
      • *

*Claus (not clause)

dang that Tim Allen movie!

October 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
      • Vic

Yes, and he distributed gifts for poor children out of charity. Just like toys for tots. That's where the concept of Santa Claus comes from.

October 25, 2013 at 12:15 pm |
        • Doc Vestibule

Actually, the story about him is that in the middle of the night, he tossed bags of gold through the window of a poor man so that he might have a proper dowry for his daughters.

October 25, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
        • Vic

You're right, I now recollect. He helped the poor man's three daughters who couldn't afford to get married by leaving bags of gold in their house at night. I was under the impression that he continued on doing similar charity work for poor children after that.

October 25, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
  4. I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Seriously, there's no response to this level of idiocy.

October 25, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • bostontola

And why is the notion of zombies, the dead coming back to life, more absurd than a person's consciousness surviving without the brain that manifested it, after death?

October 25, 2013 at 11:13 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

"With this country heading towards a socialized system of government, in which officials don’t want you to think or focus on what is important for your own personal growth, I’m sure they’re more than happy to let you obsess over something as stupid as zombies.
      And in turn, you ultimately become the zombie."

That's kind of the point of Romero's zombie movies – especially the original Dawn of the Dead.
      Zompocalypse planning is just a thought exercise.
      My friends and I played that game in the '90s, deciding the ideal location in our town to hole up when the excrement hits the air conditioner.
      Since the 1950's, we've all been fed fear – an indistinct, untargeted yet pervasive fear of impending doom be it from a nuclear holocaust, a communist take over, deadly diseases, terrorist attacks etc.
      Under the Bush administration, it all became laughably transparent –
      "Hey Dubya – how scared should America be?"
      "Orange. Move the scare-o-meter on your fridge to orange."

And how is the zombie fad any less strange or damaging than all those people getting "Rapture Ready".
      Isn't the "Left Behind" series one of the top sellers in the US?

October 25, 2013 at 11:24 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

I doubt the sincerity of anybody who claims that they have never planned for a zombie apocalypse.

October 25, 2013 at 11:26 am |
        • captain america

What country are you talking about ? You ain't a part of this country, This country is America ,where do you get off pretending to be one of US. There's your sign

October 25, 2013 at 11:38 am |

You go, girlfriend.

October 25, 2013 at 11:40 am |
  5. Observer

U don't no who DM Murdock is? She's a witch who doesn't believe in gods, except herself, and she loves darkness. She loves snake. She is stupid and mentally ill and she inserts herself wherever she can to make herself appear to be a somebody. She is all of u athies. She is pathetic and disgusting and the fact that no athie here mentions her is proof she is u. Right dodo?

October 25, 2013 at 10:57 am |
    • Observer

fake Observer,

Are all Christians as lacking in morals and honesty as you are? Do they all LIE as much as you do?

October 25, 2013 at 11:02 am |
      • bostontola

Ironic that mimicry is an evolved characteristic used by evolution deniers. In humans, this kind of mimicry only shows cowardice.

October 25, 2013 at 11:08 am |
      • Observer

There is no ownership of an alias so there can e no theft. Besides which right or wrong has been established from the beginning by God and there is nothing written about using an alias.

October 25, 2013 at 11:43 am |
        • hal 9001

"Besides which right or wrong has been established from the beginning by God and there is nothing written about using an alias."

Pattern match #405D for the enti-ty commonly known as the "flunkie" from the Evangelical Fortune Cookie Co's Writer's Boot Camp.

October 25, 2013 at 11:47 am |
        • Observer

fake Observer,

When you use this blog, you agree to the Terms of Service.

Everytime you use someone else's name, you are a LIAR about agreeing to those terms.

You need to hope that God loves LIARS.

October 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
      • hal 9001

Ooops my bad... I've gone and made a horses ass of myself "again" by commenting on something I'm totally ignorant of .

October 25, 2013 at 11:52 am |
    • Thank you so much!

I'd never heard of DM Murdock before. I looked her up on Amazon and ordered some of her books. Always nice to find another author who has shaken off the myth of Christianity

October 25, 2013 at 11:12 am |
  6. Universe

Verses regarding Mary in Quran (Islamic Scripture)

“Mention in the scripture Mary. She isolated herself from her family, into an eastern location.” [19:16]

“While a barrier separated her from them, we sent to her our Spirit. He went to her in the form of a human being.”

She said, "I seek refuge in the Most Gracious, that you may be righteous."

He said, "I am the messenger of your Lord, to grant you a pure son."

She said, "How can I have a son, when no man has touched me; I have never been unchaste."

He said, "Thus said your Lord, `It is easy for Me. We will render him a sign for the people, and mercy from us. This is a predestined matter.' "

When she bore him, she isolated herself to a faraway place.

The birth process came to her by the trunk of a palm tree. She said, "(I am so ashamed;) I wish I were dead before this happened, and completely forgotten."

(The infant) called her from beneath her, saying, "Do not grieve. Your Lord has provided you with a stream.

"If you shake the trunk of this palm tree, it will drop ripe dates for you.*

"Eat and drink, and be happy. When you see anyone, say, `I have made a vow of silence, [to the Most Gracious]*; I am not talking today to anyone.' "

She came to her family, carrying him. They said, "O Mary, you have committed something that is totally unexpected.

"O descendant of Aaron, your father was not a bad man, nor was your mother unchaste."

She pointed to him. They said, "How can we talk with an infant in the crib?"

(The infant spoke and) said, "I am a servant of God. He has given me the scripture, and has appointed me a prophet.

"He made me blessed wherever I go, and enjoined me to observe the Contact Prayers (Salat) and the obligatory charity (Zakat) for as long as I live.

"I am to honor my mother; He did not make me a disobedient rebel.

"And peace be upon me the day I was born, the day I die, and the day I get resurrected."

“That was Jesus, the son of Mary, and this is the truth of this matter, about which they continue to doubt.”

“It does not befit God that He begets a son, be He glorified. To have anything done, He simply says to it, "Be," and it is.”

Thanks for taking time to read my post. Please take a moment to visit whyIslam org website.

October 25, 2013 at 10:45 am |
    • bostontola

Why Islam? Why Christianity? Why Judaism? Etc, etc, etc.

Please reflect on how you feel about the validity of Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. That is how they feel about Islam. You know all other religions are false, others feel the same way. I agree with you all, they are all false.

October 25, 2013 at 10:53 am |
    • ME II

Talking newborns... where do they get this stuff?

October 25, 2013 at 10:56 am |
      • Doc Vestibule

Divine, psychic messages.
        Go ahead and prove that they don't...

October 25, 2013 at 11:11 am |
  7. Dyslexic doG

millennia of humans co-opting religion for their own vainglory and personal gain.

it is, as often as not, a wicked, self absorbed person who fills the role of the religious leader.

October 25, 2013 at 10:29 am |
  8. Which God?

The lead oof picture of this bishop, makes me wonder: How many hours does he spend putting on that makeup?

October 25, 2013 at 10:04 am |
    • bostontola

He should fire that makeup artist before he's fired.

October 25, 2013 at 10:08 am |
  9. Born2BModerated

You may think it is a good idea to stop the 'Biling Bishop', but I dissagree.
    No sane young man wants to live a live near poverty as a virgin.
    Learn from the Mega Churches!
    Show off some cash and recruit more priests. And bring back the inquisitions while you're at it. Nothin' like money and power to draw people in.

October 25, 2013 at 9:48 am |
  10. Blessed are the Cheesemakers

The Vatican telling one of it's churches that they are being too ostentatious....you can't make this stuff up...lol.

October 25, 2013 at 9:28 am |
    • bostontola

Hilarious. Funny thing is, the Vatican has toned it down. I was there 20 years ago and there was much more booty on display. They can't hide all they have stolen though, it is built into the building. The hypocrisy is startling, as you pointed out. I would still fire the Bishop, he has a tin ear to his leader.

October 25, 2013 at 10:00 am |
  11. Sara

I actually suspected this was being exagerrated a bit until I read about the special request €15,000 bathtub. They need to stop referring to this as a 'residence', though; it's a headquarters that includes a residence.

October 25, 2013 at 6:48 am |
    • Crom

It's a big orgy pad with plenty of sex toys, STDs, lotions, notions, and men's shoes.

October 25, 2013 at 8:28 am |
      • ?

and no chicks.

October 25, 2013 at 9:07 am |
        • Crom

..hence the men's shoes. duh.

October 25, 2013 at 9:26 am |
        • ?

Franz likes to dress up in lingerie and high heels and often wears them under his fetching gowns, just saying

October 25, 2013 at 9:47 am |
        • Crom

I bow to your superior abilities. I am just jumping to conclusions. What's bad is the RCC and religion. His peccadillos are nothing to me. He must be awfully stupid, though, to do all that...unless that were the usual thing and so he thought it nothing special amongst the papists at his level and they are just hanging him out to dry for other reasons. Hard to say, really.

October 25, 2013 at 11:20 am |
        • Charm Quark

Crom
          Just referring to precedents in the RCC as to how they deal with high ranking clergy. Search for Marcial Maciel for a prime example of letting the crimes continue as long as he is one of the "favorites".

October 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
    • guest

Sara, when you come to the understanding that the Papacy is far from the teaching of Christ and the apostles you will understand it is an apostate church. Do you really think that all the pomp and glory sought by the Papacy really represents Christ? Consider the life that Christ and the apostles lived and then compare it to the life the hierarchy of the Catholic Church lives; they really don’t suffer much need. (Their biggest need is wives to help keep them on the straight and narrow, and BTW, if Peter was supposed to be the first pope, remember, he, Peter, was married.)

October 25, 2013 at 9:40 am |
      • Sara

Well, I'm not a Christian (and not a Catholic, clearly then), so no, I don't think any of those things. Nor do I think the RCC is evil, which would be every bit as silly.

October 25, 2013 at 10:14 am |
        • guest

I hope you don;t live long enough to learn just how evil the RCC really is; it may not seem so now, but the motives of the of the RCC same as they were in the so called "dark ages". You need to read the RCC's catechism.

October 25, 2013 at 10:42 am |
  12. Irene

When I think about all the money I (and others) contributed to the Catholic Church and how it got wasted it makes my blood boil. I wonder how much money is spent to "keep" boys?

October 25, 2013 at 6:01 am |
  13. Blasphemer

Zionism is not healthy for humanity.

October 25, 2013 at 4:00 am |
    • Crom

Religion is a madness on the face of the world.

your turn.

October 25, 2013 at 4:01 am |
    • Crom

Chocolate is not healthy for dogs.

Ebola virus is not healthy for humans.

Zoroastrianism is not healthy for paleontologists.

Mithraism is not healthy for turntables.

Whipped cream is not healthy for the asexual biota on Rigel 23.

Sagittarius A is not healthy for anyone organic within several light years.

CNN Human Resources is not healthy for the proper functioning of this blog.

next...

October 25, 2013 at 5:59 am |
    • Crom

Humanity is not healthy for extinct animals.

Needles are not healthy for camels.

Purple elephants are not healthy for alcoholics.

Windshields are not healthy for bugs.

October 25, 2013 at 8:32 am |
  14. guest

Posted below from the "THIS JUST IN' blog by:
    bobcat (in a hat)©

One Sunday a pastor asked his congregation to consider giving a little extra in the offering plate. He said that whoever gave the most would be able to pick out three hymns.
    After the offering plates were passed, the pastor glanced down and noticed that someone had contributed a $1,000 bill. He was so excited that he immediately shared his joy with his congregation, and said he'd like to personally thank the person who had placed the money in the plate.

A very quiet, elderly, saintly widow shyly raised her hand. The pastor asked her to come to the front. Slowly she made her way to the pastor. He told her how wonderful it was that she gave so much and asked her to pick out three hymns.

Her eyes brightened as she looked over the congregation, pointed to the three handsomest men in the building and said, "I'll take him and him and him.
    I laughed so hard that my wife had to calm me down, I have a lung condition that really hurts when I LOL and this really hurt, but I will remember this and pa-s-s it on.

October 25, 2013 at 2:24 am |
    • Crom

bobcat (in a hat) should post his jokes over here as well. He's got some good ones.
      Chrissy and Banasy shouldn't be the only ones to enjoy these jokes, the rest of us need a laugh, too.

October 25, 2013 at 4:00 am |
  15. Max

Maxie, my love, did u call the polivce on that lawbreaking thug, yet? Y not? He stole your handle, again! Maybe he will get the mortal injection for it. Who Nos? U can always pray. Yippee? I love snake!

October 25, 2013 at 1:09 am |
  16. Atheism is the natural state of children and every living thing

Their lies couldn't change things

October 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
    • Colin

All children are born direct from the throne of God with an inner sense of God within them. Life on earth gives everyone the opportunity to choose God in love and so return to God for the wonderful eternity God has for them. Only the very foolish reject God.

October 25, 2013 at 5:03 am |
      • truthprevails1

FAKE Colin: Put the crack pipe of religion down and join the 21st century. Every child born is born an Atheist, it is not until they suffer the effects of brainwashing at the hands of their parents that come to know about your imaginary friend.

October 25, 2013 at 6:30 am |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Well, I'd argue that every child is born a non-theist, but I guess we could argue semantics 'til the cows come home.

October 25, 2013 at 6:35 am |
        • truthprevails1

True enough.

October 25, 2013 at 6:36 am |
    • guest

Maybe you can explain why my grandson was interested in spiritual matters when he was only three years old and his mom is an atheist.

October 25, 2013 at 9:08 am |
      • ?

Which of these, the tooth fairy, easter bunny, santa and what exactly is spiritual matters? Does the kid have The Sixth Sense and see dead people like in the movie? I would recommend a child psychiatrist.

October 25, 2013 at 9:21 am |
        • guest

His mom tried to teach him about the tooth fairy, Easter bunny and Santa, but he wasn’t buying that; instinctively he seemed to know that there is a higher power called God.

October 25, 2013 at 9:54 am |
      • G to the T

I would aslo agree that "spiritual" would have to be expanded upon here but I would start by saying that human are very curious as animals go. The belief in a "soul" or "spirit world" can be explained naturally when you consider a set of simple questions anyone could ask – "what is happening when I'm asleep?", "What happens when animals/people die?". These combined with how we generate "belief" in our brains means we are more likely to assume "something" instead of "nothing".

October 25, 2013 at 10:59 am |
      • ME II

@guest,
        Perhaps because of leading questions from the kids grandparents?

October 25, 2013 at 11:04 am |
      • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Three year olds are also interested in unicorns, hobgoblins and urinating at inopportune moments.

October 25, 2013 at 11:08 am |
  17. Atheist

I'm on strike

October 24, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
  18. Apple Bush

1- The Bible's Prophets, and even Roman Emperors married girls as young as 8!
    2- Mary got pregnant between the ages of 11 and 14.
    3. According to the Jewish Talmud, Prophet Moses and his followers had sex with girls as young as 3 years old. Yes, THREE years old. You read it right.

Nice to see Bishop Franz-Peter Tebartz-Van Elst is all dolled up for his date tonight! Wonder if the id is older than 7?

October 24, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
    • The Real Tom

Hi apple

October 24, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
      • Apple Bush

Wud up Tom.

October 24, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
      • Akira

The Real Tom, is this really you?

October 24, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
      • Akira

I ask because TTtPS was a stickler for proper capitalization and punctuation. One can see why I doubt.

October 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
      • ℂ∪ητ

Who cares?

October 24, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
        • Akira

I liked TTtPS. Apparently, you don't. Okay.

October 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
        • Apple Bush

Akira, what up girl?

October 24, 2013 at 9:51 pm |
        • Akira

Hey, Apple! Nottadamned thing. You? Behaving yourself?

October 24, 2013 at 10:12 pm |
        • The Real Tom

Hi Akira! Yes, it's I. Just typing on an IPad and too lazy to bother with the caps last night. I like you,too!

October 25, 2013 at 10:18 am |
        • Charm Quark

The Real Tom
          Nice to see you back gal. I was banned for a few months but for some reason was let back in on my regular computer did not have to go to a phantom hub. I did change my handle for the sae reason you let TTTPS go. Stick around we missed you.

October 25, 2013 at 10:25 am |
        • The Real Tom

Charm, I may try to access the blog when I get back home, but last time I tried, I was still blocked. I did send an e-mail to the author of the article on trolls and scolded him for accusing Booty of failing to respond to his challenge, so that may work against any forgiveness on the part of CNN.;)

Thanks for the welcome, though. I can't recall your original moniker–can you give me a hint?

October 25, 2013 at 10:40 am |
        • Doris

Hi Tom. Good to hear from you. I had that same problem for a long while and had to also hide my IP. But mine seems OK now as well. As usually there seems to be a proliferation of name-stealing lately, which leads to a lot of name changing. Much of it seems to come from the same troll that likes to abbreviate words into "u", and "4" and "2". –mama k

October 25, 2013 at 10:59 am |
        • Doris as Dippy's assistant

As usual

October 25, 2013 at 11:00 am |
      • Charm Quark

The Real Tom
        Like Apple Bush I used several depending to whom I was responding. For example, I used Demon Deacon and OKfine when dealing with Bill Deacon but am going to stick with Charm Quark from now on. Try again, it appears Daniel is softening a little.

October 25, 2013 at 10:49 am |
        • The Real Tom

Hi Charm, I may try from home in a few days. Ciao!

October 25, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
  19. Colin

The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.

October 24, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • Answer

–quote–

"change the nature of the one who prays."

–end–

You mean – "make pretend that your actions will affect some outcome in the world."

October 24, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
      • Colin

Way to imply the exact opposite of what I stated.

October 24, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
        • I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Nope, it's pretty synonymous with what you said.

October 25, 2013 at 6:37 am |
    • George

Refreshing to see someone admit that prayer has no effect on events. After all, if God were to changes his plan based on your prayer, it wasn't much of a plan to begin with, was it?

October 24, 2013 at 9:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Kierkegaard believed in an unchanging God. Only the one who prays changes.

October 24, 2013 at 9:37 pm |
      • Crom

*EHHH*
        Wrong.
        Time to read your bible. Kierkegaard was an idiot. Your "god" changed his mind so many times in the bible that the whole "eternally unchanging god" thing is a MASSIVE JOKE.
        At what point did you plan on actually reading a bible? When you were dead or forced to read it under pain of death?
        Go. Find someone intelligent and ask them to bitchslap your silly ass.

October 25, 2013 at 4:08 am |
        • Crom

Oh, wait, I just did that. Nevermind.

October 25, 2013 at 4:08 am |
        • Observer

Prison, snake.

October 25, 2013 at 10:51 am |
        • Crom

Snake, prison. Prison, snake. Now you can be friends. Awwww!

October 25, 2013 at 11:04 am |
    • truthprevails1

If it not for god, then why pretend to be praying to it?? Why even speak the word 'god' if you're not hoping for an answer from it?
      When people speak to god, they call it religion; otherwise it is known as schizophrenia...one in the same :-).

October 25, 2013 at 6:34 am |
      • Observer

Prison, fool! Fat fool. Get a job

October 25, 2013 at 10:52 am |
        • truthprevails1

FAKE Observer: Might it be said you do the same? Is prison why you're on here?

October 25, 2013 at 11:01 am |
  20. bostontola

German Catholics are forced to pay a Church tax, or sacraments are withheld. It usually is collected by the Govt along with income tax right out of the paycheck. If the Government spent tax dollars (euros) like this Bishop, it would be a huge scandal. This Bishop shouldn't be suspended, he should be fired.

October 24, 2013 at 6:36 pm |