home
RSS
Jesus statue unscathed by Typhoon Haiyan
A giant statue of Jesus Christ on Calvary Hill in the coastal town of Tanauan in the Philippines.
November 13th, 2013

Jesus statue unscathed by Typhoon Haiyan

(CNN) - A  giant statue of Jesus apparently survived Typhoon Haiyan unscathed, even as the massive storm flattened many parts of Tanauan, a coastal town in the central Philippines.

It's not the first time religious statues have survived natural disasters in the heavily Catholic Philippines, according to local reports. Two statues of the Virgin Mary withstood a devastating earthquake last month.

Meanwhile, Haiyan has wiped entire towns off the map, and thousands are searching for family members, food and water.

MORE ON CNN: Philippines aid pours in but survivors still going hungry

So, what do you think, readers: Is the unscathed Jesus statue a miraculous sign of hope amid the ruins or just a random coincidence?

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Faith • Jesus • natural disasters • Philippines

1. Ken Margo

This makes Jesus look totally self centered. He saw thousands suffering and dying, yet he felt it was more important to save an image of him. If I were to save myself over my wife and kids, I would be called every name known to man. Yet Jesus saves an image of himself and people rejoice. Unbelievable.

November 18, 2013 at 4:52 pm |
    • Yob Benami

Well stated Ken. Sounds like you see the world just fine.

November 19, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
  2. Universe

Verses regarding Mary in Quran (Islamic Scripture)

“Mention in the scripture Mary. She isolated herself from her family, into an eastern location.” [19:16]

“While a barrier separated her from them, we sent to her our Spirit. He went to her in the form of a human being.”

“She said, "I seek refuge in the Most Gracious, that you may be righteous."”

“He said, "I am the messenger of your Lord, to grant you a pure son."”

“She said, "How can I have a son, when no man has touched me; I have never been unchaste."”

“He said, "Thus said your Lord, `It is easy for Me. We will render him a sign for the people, and mercy from us. This is a predestined matter.' "”

“When she bore him, she isolated herself to a faraway place.”

“The birth process came to her by the trunk of a palm tree. She said, "(I am so ashamed;) I wish I were dead before this happened, and completely forgotten."”

“(The infant) called her from beneath her, saying, "Do not grieve. Your Lord has provided you with a stream.”

"If you shake the trunk of this palm tree, it will drop ripe dates for you.*

"Eat and drink, and be happy. When you see anyone, say, `I have made a vow of silence, [to the Most Gracious]*; I am not talking today to anyone.' "

“She came to her family, carrying him. They said, "O Mary, you have committed something that is totally unexpected.”

"O descendant of Aaron, your father was not a bad man, nor was your mother unchaste."

“She pointed to him. They said, "How can we talk with an infant in the crib?"”

(The infant spoke and) said, "I am a servant of God. He has given me the scripture, and has appointed me a prophet.

"He made me blessed wherever I go, and enjoined me to observe the Contact Prayers (Salat) and the obligatory charity (Zakat) for as long as I live.

"I am to honor my mother; He did not make me a disobedient rebel.

"And peace be upon me the day I was born, the day I die, and the day I get resurrected."

“That was Jesus, the son of Mary, and this is the truth of this matter, about which they continue to doubt.”

“It does not befit God that He begets a son, be He glorified. To have anything done, He simply says to it, "Be," and it is.”

Thanks for taking time to read my post. Please take a moment to visit whyIslam org website.

November 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
  3. cody

god is vengeful yes but he is also forgiving im not the smartest Christian but I do know if it wasnt for god my uncle would still be dead four years ago and I would be hanging with the bad crowds

November 18, 2013 at 10:10 am |
    • NeoKat1

Glory be to God! I know many families also that were broken are are now healed and together. My friend was a drug addict for 15 years and he's only 35yrs old. Nothing ever changed him, even rehab.. Today he has been clean for the last 5 years and a complete new man. It only happened after he went to Jesus and asked for help. He almost destroyed his whole family and today we see God's glory. Only our God can do the impossible.

November 18, 2013 at 11:25 am |
      • urnotathinkerareu

well...what happened to me...i did the same thing at age 33...still str8 and sober 31 years later...living large!!!

November 18, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
  4. mydeah878

If there's another storm coming, cling to Jesus and thou shall be saved!

November 18, 2013 at 1:37 am |
    • Observer

Is God going to try to make up for the 10,000 people he let die?

November 18, 2013 at 2:40 am |
      • cody

dude god didn't let that happen it was just nature

November 18, 2013 at 10:05 am |
  5. paranhaslett

Gods solution to pain and suffering is not through a statue, It has always been YOU. Will you bring hope to this world?

November 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
  6. paranhaslett

Gods solution to pain and suffering is not a statue but has always been YOU. Are you going to provide hope to this world?

November 17, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
    • Observer

God's solution, at least in the Philippines, seems to be to take a nap.

November 17, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
      • o really

that's silly. he didn't nap when u nailed his son to a tree

November 18, 2013 at 12:27 am |
        • Observer

o really,

You have to be a total MORON to claim I lived 2,000 years ago.

Well done.

November 18, 2013 at 12:35 am |
        • adlaede

o honey, don't u realize u r responsible for crucifying my lord? u need to study quantum mechanics, sweet-pea.

November 18, 2013 at 12:40 am |
        • Observer

The moron statement is correct.

November 18, 2013 at 1:22 am |
  7. Attack of the 50 Foot Magic Underwear

A large, heavy (likely concrete), relatively aerodynamic (compared to houses, certainly) structure built ON A HILL survives wind and the storm surge.

Wow. Sounds like a miracle, alright.

November 17, 2013 at 9:45 am |
  8. ANNON G

IIf I Don't Imagine Myself Being In A Higher Place How Can I Acknowledge The Fact That I'm Small?? If I Don't Imagine Something Greater Than Myself...How Can I Humble Myself As A Man?? Don't Get Me Wrong Humans Have ALOT Of Potential To Be Great Beings...But As Long As We Are Humans We Are Still Creatures...We Are Tiny...And We Cover This Planet Spreading Like Vermin...We Destroy Everything...We Eat Everything...We Bring Diseases...Sure We Made Life A Bit More Convenient For Ourselves But We Didn't Improve Morally As A Race...After How Many Thousands Of Years??...We're Still Vermin...I Don't Care Who It Offends Either...

November 17, 2013 at 5:43 am |
    • Reality # 2

So you are the offspring of vermin? Very disturbing !!!

November 17, 2013 at 7:24 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magic Underwear

Yes, we're very tiny compared to the Earth. So what? Look at a mountain. There – now you feel small. Look at an ocean. Yup – small. Now look at a sub-atomic particle. Holy crap – you're enormous, immense, galaxy-sized.

So what?

November 17, 2013 at 9:50 am |
    • Angry Christian

Why do you capitalize the beginning of every word?

You Look Really Dumb.

November 17, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
  9. ANNON G

To All The Atheists Who Posted....If You Do Not Believe In A Greater Power Than All The Tiny Little Vermin Creatures Called Humans...Than What Do You Believe In?? Evolution?? You Don't Find It Strange That Everything In The Universe Moves In A Organized Way...Time It's Self Couldn't Have Made Something This Good...A Superior Intellect Created The Space And Energy That We Live In...I Don't Blame God For Making Something Beautiful...And Humans Screwing It Up...GOD Doesn't Occupy This Planet Humans Do...If I Blame God For Anything It's For Not Cleaning This Planet Of It's Human Disease...Only People Worth Saving On This Planet Are Children Of All Races...I Mean There's Good People Too...But ALot Don't Recognize The Beauty Of God's Giving Nature...HE GAVE US NATURE!!!...If The Universe Had A Beginning Somebody Had To Start It Some How...You'd Rather Believe In Nothing...Than The Existence Of Something Greater Than Yourselves....I Used To Walk That Road...That Cold, Sad, An Lonely Road...Now I Thank God For Being Himself...Cause The World Would Be ALOT UGLIER Than It Is Right Now...An It's Not Even His Fault...People Make Their Own Choices...

November 17, 2013 at 12:25 am |
    • Observer

ANNON G,

You consider human beings to be "Tiny Little Vermin Creatures". That says all we need to know about your level of intelligence.

November 17, 2013 at 12:30 am |
      • ANNON G

My Intelligence Tells Me That Compared To God...That's All We Are On This Planet...And If I Was Looking At The World From God's Eyes...That's All I Would See...So Yeah Humans Are Tiny Little Vermin Creatures...Which Is Exactly Why We Should All Humble Our Selves To God...Can You Comprehend That?

November 17, 2013 at 5:03 am |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

So you are able to imagine something greater than yourself. That puts you on the road to something like Anselm's argument for the existence of God. I have noticed that when someone makes an ontological argument for God, God fails to appear. That's just not good conjuring.

November 17, 2013 at 5:11 am |
        • Angry Christian

Your capitalizing the beginning of every word tells me that you are of below average intelligence. That you think you are vermin tells me you have the intelligence of a mouse.

You are not doing our side any favors. Can you comprehend that?

November 17, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
        • Observer

ANNON G,

Nope. I'm not ready to support slavery or the many other barbaric commands of God. Read a Bible someday and see what the rules were that he wanted the earth to follow when he set up all the rules.

November 18, 2013 at 12:37 am |
    • Attack of the 50 Foot Magic Underwear

"People make their own choices".

Sure – just like the people who chose to have their children drown in the storm surge your god sent.

November 17, 2013 at 9:52 am |
      • cody

god never sent that storm its just the balance of the world if everybody lived forever the world would be overcrowded so mother nature balances life and death without death the world would be destroyed because of over population and the world would be one giant city and everybody would be family so anyway you go your gonna die

November 18, 2013 at 10:27 am |
  10. R.M. Goodswell

is it me or is the top right side of his head missing?

November 16, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
    • Observer

Looks more like he's got his middle finger on his right hand up in the air.

November 16, 2013 at 11:20 pm |
  11. Daniel

well even if its not a true real miracle, and it survived just because of the material and way it was built. It is still inspirational and I think that it would bring hope to the people there.

November 16, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
  12. Doris

Sin, free will, absolute "truths". All necessary notions for certain religions. Not at all necessary for many outside of those religions. More and more in the global information age, people are realizing they can have a positive role in society without being tied to religion; which of course includes the often outdated moral specifics of such religions. When religious belief flies in the face of current science, it becomes even more obvious that religious belief is not as firm a basis for anything and not a requirement for morality. And so we are seeing the change before our eyes. Perhaps not as fast in the U.S. as elsewhere, but change nevertheless. What is on the side of those in the U.S. who follow the bark of liberty is the wall of separation; the "wall" established in the Consti-tution by our very Deistic founders of the government.

"[If] the nature of... government [were] a subordination of the civil to the ecclesiastical power, I [would] consider it as desperate for long years to come. Their steady habits [will] exclude the advances of information, and they [will] seem exactly where they [have always been]. And there [the] clergy will always keep them if they can. [They] will follow the bark of liberty only by the help of a tow-rope." –Thomas Jefferson

"The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses.

Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind."

–John Adams

November 16, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
  13. Agnostic Atheist

Seriously? Could people seriously believe this? Thousands of people died but, hey, Jesus did take time to save His statue.

November 16, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • Ancient Texan

I think it's a fluff piece, myself.

November 16, 2013 at 11:14 pm |
    • timmy

there is a higher power it is called the trinity. god the father the son and the HOLY Ghost. I will never be foolish to believe that we just happened . In the beginning god created the heavens and the earths if there was a big bang it is only because god opened his mouth. just like in the beginning was the word(holy ghost) and the word was god and the word was with god. atheism is foolishness all who call on the name of Jesus Christ shall be saved and in that very moment he shall send the comforter the Holy spirit I beg all you atheist the is a god who loves you and don't want to see you die and go to the lake of fire please don't be foolish go to your neighborhood bible believing church. and learn before you speak on something you know nothing about. I don't know why bad things happen that's up to my lord to know but the only thing I know is the devil roams around the world like a roaring lion looking for a soul to devour please don't be that soul come to Jesus before its to late

November 17, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
      • Akira

Atheism wasn't mentioned in the OP. Keep up, faith.

November 18, 2013 at 12:13 am |