home
RSS
Jesus statue unscathed by Typhoon Haiyan
A giant statue of Jesus Christ on Calvary Hill in the coastal town of Tanauan in the Philippines.
November 13th, 2013

Jesus statue unscathed by Typhoon Haiyan

(CNN) - A  giant statue of Jesus apparently survived Typhoon Haiyan unscathed, even as the massive storm flattened many parts of Tanauan, a coastal town in the central Philippines.

It's not the first time religious statues have survived natural disasters in the heavily Catholic Philippines, according to local reports. Two statues of the Virgin Mary withstood a devastating earthquake last month.

Meanwhile, Haiyan has wiped entire towns off the map, and thousands are searching for family members, food and water.

MORE ON CNN: Philippines aid pours in but survivors still going hungry

So, what do you think, readers: Is the unscathed Jesus statue a miraculous sign of hope amid the ruins or just a random coincidence?

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Faith • Jesus • natural disasters • Philippines

1. mandarax

It's a miracle! I'm mean if you ignore the fact that thousands of other Jesus statues were destroyed...and that this one is made of concrete and located on the top of a hill. A miracle!

November 16, 2013 at 10:58 am |
    • mandarax

*I mean...

November 16, 2013 at 10:58 am |
  2. joe

catholics now you know your god is selfish save himself and you all can suffer and go to hell,give me money so I can built more churches and brain wash all the idiots.and do things to your kids

November 16, 2013 at 10:43 am |
  3. faith, pain, humans

We are humans we are fragil, though we think we are rich powerfull individuals. Meanwhile life and nature remain as the Earth keeps rotating. I rather love God and understand my fragility and remain humble.
    Even atheist know they dont understand all the mysteries. So love keeps to be the action to help them in the name of God.!

November 16, 2013 at 9:49 am |
  4. andreas

miracle or not,I remain faithful to Jesus

November 16, 2013 at 9:22 am |
  5. AtheistSteve

A giant concrete statue escaped destruction while ramshackle tin-roofed wooden huts were blown to bits.
    It's a miracle...not.

November 16, 2013 at 5:31 am |
  6. melvin

II Chronicles 7:14 "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked way; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive sin, and heal their land.

November 16, 2013 at 4:42 am |
    • truthprevails1

If you didn't have that book, could you survive in this world and be a good person?

November 16, 2013 at 6:04 am |
    • Susan

Absolutely a miracle. God it trying to get our attention! These naturall disasters are ways God is trying to get his people to turn back to him before it is too late. If you have read The Harbinger by Jonathan Cahn, you know what I am talking about. To acknowledge it is NOT a miracle is saying you believe there are miracles, but that you don't think this is one. To say you don't believe inGod, acknowledges thast he does exist!!!

November 16, 2013 at 7:34 am |
      • midwest rail

" To say you don't believe inGod, acknowledges thast he does exist!!! "
        Nonsense.

November 16, 2013 at 7:37 am |
      • Jeff Williams

"""To say you don't believe inGod, acknowledges thast he does exist!!!"""

Hmm, well I don't believe in the Easter Bunny. So what does THAT tell you, genius?

November 16, 2013 at 11:32 am |
      • doobzz

A couple of weeks ago I heard my neighbors arguing. It went something like this:

Woman: No, no, no!

Man: Why don't you ever listen to me?

Woman: No, please, no!

Man: If you would just listen to me...

Woman: Please, please don't hurt me.

Sound familiar? Your god hurts people and kills people to get them to listen to him better too.

BTW, it was at that point that I shouted for him to leave her alone and I called the police.

November 16, 2013 at 12:22 pm |
  7. Kevin

I need $15,000 USD to repair my home in the Cebu, Philippines the whole dam roof went off! But at least I am here in CA. But no money to repair my Bungaloo homes. If you like to donate that would be great! In return if you every come over to visit you can stay for a week at my beach house my treat. After the repairs are done.

November 16, 2013 at 12:17 am |
    • doobzz

I know this guy from Nigeria I'd like to introduce you to.

November 16, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
  8. Martin L Schneider

Where was He when they really needed Him?

November 15, 2013 at 10:04 pm |
    • Leigh

How come when there is a disaster the first person people want to blame is God? We live in a world of natural disasters and a world full of miracles every day, however, people seem to not acknowledge or praise God for the miracles but are quick to blame Him for everything that goes wrong in their life. Just wait and see how God cares for these people....then you will be silent.

November 16, 2013 at 3:25 am |
      • Fan2C

Leigh,

I do neither (thanking nor blaming) because I see no evidence that any being does anything one way or the other.

But believers, by a long margin, do only the thanking/praising part. I can hardly think of a time when I've heard one of them blame "God" for anything. When non-believers sound like they are blaming 'him', it's really meant to jar you into reality. They are not blaming something that they don't believe in.

Your "Just wait and see how God cares for these people" makes it sound like this "God" character causes (or allows) disasters and calamities and injuries just so that 'he' can be imagined to step in with a flourish & drama and be a hero - or is your version of the character not all powerful and in control of *everything*?

Have you ever heard of Munchhausen Syndrome by Proxy? It's where perpetrators are willing to fulfill their need for positive attention by hurting their own child, thereby assuming the sick role by proxy. At times, they are also able to assume the hero role and garner still more positive attention, by appearing to care for and save their child. That's what your "God" character would seem to be doing.

November 16, 2013 at 4:14 am |
        • Opposing View

Fan2C… For a person to say there is no evidence, and to say it in the face of Jesus Christ and his existence, then that person has got to be the most dumbest person in all the universe. For no Son can exist without a Father. So if Jesus Christ existed, then so also does his Father exist – and it cannot be otherwise. And that is all the proof you need that God exists. But atheists cannot accept that, cannot accept Jesus Christ as proof. And rather than to admit that, to admit that proof exists, just not proof they are willing to accept, they prefer to just lie about it and to say there is no evidence. Which is so typical of atheists. Because all atheists are big liars. And if they did not tell lies, then they'd have no argument…

November 21, 2013 at 11:59 am |
        • urnotathinkerareu

Your religion of love has really taught you well you hypocrite. Stay in your church with your manipulated "cherry picked" teachings along with your heads  in the sand as you call other people down. And that's not a lie my friend. Your own words condemn you as all can see. You show the mind of a closed bigoted view of life itself.  That is just a lazy way to NOT look HONESTLY at opposing views and realize the book you believe so much in has been changed many times over. Go and do some research...please

November 21, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
        • Observer

Opposing View,

Of course Jesus had a father. NO ONE has ever questioned that (if he existed). Quit your LYING.

The issue is whether the father of Jesus was his mother's husband, Joseph or whether a form of ADULTERY took place (as Christians argue). You CAN'T prove he wasn't Jesus father.

Oops!

November 21, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
      • Opposing View

Leigh… It is because they are ignorant and are being used by Lucifer. For whosoever allows Lucifer to use him, then Lucifer will use. Ever notice how no one ever blames Lucifer for anything? His name never even comes up. That's because Lucifer never blames himself….

2 Thessalonians 2:7 – For the mystery of iniquity (Lucifer) doth already work: only he who now letteth will let…

In the above scripture, "he who now letteth will let" means, if you allow Lucifer to use you, then he will…

November 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
    • melvin

@Martin L Schneider

Revelation 3:20

November 16, 2013 at 5:24 am |
      • truthprevails1

melvin: Are you capable of thinking for yourself? Scripture doesn't show that!

November 16, 2013 at 6:03 am |
  9. dillonb1950

Creationists often miss many steps to making a valid arguement and here is why. For your LEARNING pleasure

The Structure of a Logical arguemt. This proves why they can never win their side of the "disagreement"!!

November 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm |
  10. timmy

For god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten so that whosoever believeth in him souldn't die but have ever lasting life. I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God. God himself said after Jesus was baptized this is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased. I believe and it is true Jesus Christ was crucified was baried in a tomb and went into the belly of the earth(hell)and on the third day he rose from the ground with the keys of the pit in his hands. Jesus said I am the way the truth and the life nobody gets to the father except through me. believe and you shall be saved in that very moment he will send the Holy Ghost. I was lost but now im found was blind but now I see how great is our lord Jesus Christ. isn't it amazing how the statue of the lord Jesus Christ is still standing how there is a chross in the center of the universe. Jesus said the whole world will see the son of man coming the time is coming soon but no man knows the time.AMEN

November 15, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
    • Observer

timmy,

Grow up and get an education. TEN THOUSAND PEOPLE died a horrible death while God WATCHED and your only concern was for a post of concrete.

Wake up!

November 15, 2013 at 9:05 pm |
  11. aldewacs2

Either the nasty gods were busy destroying a 400-year old church and forgot to level the statue.
    Or, more likely, there are no gods and it was just a strong wind.

November 15, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
    • KMac2U

Coincidence is mankinds rationale for "Spiritual Choreography". God doesn't believe in coincidence. He couldn't since He is control of it all.

November 15, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
  12. dillonb1950

Creationism vs Evolution. Let the people who know whatt they are talking about be the authorities on the subject. Watch and LEARN!
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItVGYa863k&w=640&h=360]

November 15, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
  13. John Scarano

We all need to believe in something. It's just a matter of faith. But in times like this It is very hard. I have lost a lot of faith. To believe. But it only makes me feel worse. So sometimes you just have to make yourself believe. I'm sure all the people of the typhoon are having the same doubts. I just pray that they can get through these tough times. All we can do is pray. I have cursed God many times for the problems I have. So I am no holy roller. But if praying helps do it. Sometimes I wonder if there is a God also. And it is hard in bad times. And really can't figure the whole thing about God out. But I can't figure a lot of things. So it's just a matter of faith. What else do we have.

November 15, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
    • doobzz

Our brains?

November 15, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Matthew McDowall

"We all need to believe in something. It's just a matter of faith" –

No, we believe things because it is what we know to be true. We know it be true by evidence, rationale, observation and testing...I do not have faith in anything...faith is the excuse people give when they do not have a good reason to believe it..

November 15, 2013 at 8:21 pm |
    • Roger that

Faith is being too lazy to look for the real answers.

November 15, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
    • melvin

John, Jesus didn't abandoned His faithful followers, and through Apostle John, He gave us the Book of Revelation as a guide. Everything happening today is detailed in the Book of Revelation, and unfortunately, very few people want to read it. These disasters shouldn't come a surprise since Jesus gave us His warning over 2000 years ago. And yes, these disasters will get worse in scope & severity but some of us will not have to suffer through the them because of the Rapture. I strongly suggest you read the the 4 gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke & John) and Book of Revelation to get a better understanding what is heading this way. I used the Bible to prepare myself against the 2008 recession several years ahead of its debut. Guess what! I told thousands of people via the internet that a violent storm (recession) was coming ... and they ridiculed me & utter profanity. I tried.

November 16, 2013 at 5:08 am |
      • urnotathinkerareu

Man ....you need medical intervention...seriously.

November 16, 2013 at 9:53 am |
  14. Kenny

It is like Jesus is saying " yea I let this happen and made sure thousands suffered, but went out of my way to make sure my stuff was not harmed." Religion is a very bad joke.

November 15, 2013 at 4:07 pm |