home
RSS
Illinois bishop plans gay-marriage exorcism
Bishop Thomas Paprocki of Illinois is planning an exorcism for the state after it approved gay marriage.
November 15th, 2013

Illinois bishop plans gay-marriage exorcism

By Daniel Burke, Belief Blog Co-editor

(CNN) - The devil made them do it?

According to a Catholic bishop in Springfield, Illinois, Satan was behind his state's recent legalization of same-sex marriage.

So, next Wednesday, at about the same time Gov. Pat Quinn signs the gay marriage bill into law, Bishop Thomas Paprocki will hold an exorcism ceremony "in reparation for the sin of same-sex marriage."

Paprocki, who's something of an expert on exorcism, says he's just following the Pope's marching orders.

When Pope Francis, then Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, was an archbishop in Argentina, he called that country's legalization of same-sex marriage "a 'move' of the father of lies who wishes to confuse and deceive the children of God."

In a statement released on Thursday, Paprocki said: "The pope's reference to the 'father of lies' comes from the Gospel of John, where Jesus refers to the devil as 'a liar and the father of lies.' So Pope Francis is saying that same-sex 'marriage' comes from the devil and should be condemned as such."

Since his election as Pope in March, Francis seems to have taken a less combative approach to homosexuality. At a news conference in July, for example, he said "Who am I to judge?" a gay person who seeks to be a good person.

Illinois politicians - including Catholics - cited the Pope's words when explaining their support for the state's same-sex marriage bill.

In September, the Pope said the church has no right to "interfere spiritually" in the lives of gays and lesbians and chided Catholics who "obsess" about fighting culture war issues like abortion and same-sex marriage.

MORE ON CNN: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

But Paprocki calls same-sex marriage "contrary to the plan of God" and says all Catholics who support it - from legislators to county clerks who issue marriage licenses - are "culpable of serious sin."

The bishop has invited priests and lay Catholics to his exorcism ceremony, officially called "“Prayers of Supplication and Exorcism in Reparation for the Sin of Same-Sex Marriage,” which is scheduled for November 20 at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Springfield, Illinois.

Paprocki says the ceremony will follow the Catholic Church's Rite of Exorcism, which explains that Satan not only possesses people, he can also invade places and things, including the church itself.

"We must pray for deliverance from this evil which has penetrated our state and our church," Paprocki said.

Exorcism is experiencing something of a renaissance in the United States, with the Catholic bishops recruiting dozens of priests to perform the ancient rite. Paprocki is among the bishops leading the recruiting drive.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Culture wars • Faith • Gay marriage • Gay rights • Pope Francis

soundoff (3,013 Responses)
  1. Lionly Lamb

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nkhMcXrvuQ&w=640&h=360]

November 15, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
  2. Doc Vestibule

You'd think the RCC would be more concerned with reminding the people who had Catholic weddings that divorce is verboten.
    The religious people themselves have "defiled the sacti/ty of marriage" far more than secular gay marriage ever could.

November 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • Topher

Right. Let's stop divorce and make it illegal unless it meets the Biblical standard.

November 15, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
      • sam stone

fvck the biblical standard, gopher, this is not a theocracy

November 15, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
      • Madtown

No.....nothing should be legal/illegal based on the standard of the bible. The bible is not universally relevant to all human beings, remember?

November 15, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
    • Just the Facts Ma'am...

50% of marriages end in divorce so there are just to many of their followers that would be upset if they actually required them to live by bible principles. Now since the visible gay population is fairly low they have no problem stomping around with their indignation puffing up their prideful chests and patting themselves on the back for being so holy...

November 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
      • lol??

"Americult's pharisees usurped dad's power over mom and she messed up my inheritance.", An offspring of Tiger Blood.

November 15, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
    • AE

Jesus did say a lot more about divorce than h.mos.xuality.

November 15, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
      • Madtown

True. Something is more than nothing.

November 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
        • Topher

Jesus didn't say "nothing" on the subject.

November 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
        • Madtown

There are some biblical scholars that disagree with you. Of course, who would know more on the subject than you? Did you notice how I strung the words "more" and "on" together in that last sentence? That was intentional!!!

November 15, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
      • AE

Lawrence, is that me?

November 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • My Dog is a jealous Dog

My first marriage was to a catholic woman and we were divorced in civil court. There were no hard feelings in the break up, although I didn't want the divorce. She had gone through the loss of her father, and wasn't really ready for marriage. We had been together for several years and we were completely monogamous. When she wanted to remarry, she asked me to sign a catholic annulment agreement, and my choice was to not sign it and prevent her happiness, or lie to the church and myself by saying that the marriage wasn't "real". I loved this woman and this was a terrible ethical decision I had to make. I did the right thing and lied to the RCC, now she is happily remarried, and so am I. We were young, we made our mistakes, and learned our lessons – I don't hate the RCC, but I find them to be truly pitiful to stand in the way of peoples happiness at the expense of their dogmatic control mechanisms. I am sure that she had the same feelings about the annulment, and was conflicted even more. I had no compulsions about actually lying to the church (I don't believe any of their BS anyway), it was that I was putting a lie to paper in some sort of official docu.ment.

November 15, 2013 at 2:58 pm |
  3. snowboarder

an exorcism? seriously?

and they wonder why they are irrelevant in society.

November 15, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
    • Timmy

You are irrelevant! Your time will come! I will put my foot in your a$sH0le

November 15, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
      • snowboarder

@timmy, you are a petulant child.

November 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
  4. The Devil is REAL!! Pass the kechup..

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JuSfRgh0Vo&w=640&h=360]

November 15, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
    • hank

Also we know he's a real guy because that's what one of our Supreme Court justices said.

November 15, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
      • Anthony Crispino

My wife's groin doctor knows someone who actually saw the Devil handing out condoms at one of those pro choice rallies.

November 15, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
    • abru

Long live Satan!

November 15, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
  5. Victor

I hope the Westboro Baptist Church shows up!

November 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
    • Topher

Ugh! No!

November 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
    • sftommy

There's an exorcism I'd pay to see !

November 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
    • lol??

Was yer dad an attorney?? The law is supposed to be a schoolmaster with a graduation rate of more than a few.

November 15, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
    • sam stone

it would make it more interesting

November 15, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
  6. tet1953

Just wait until Francis hears about this.

November 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
  7. Gary

Wow, Do they know they are Catholic? This is the kind of sensationalism that the non-dom Christians do but there are so many reasons why it should not be done in the Catholic faith..

November 15, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
  8. Juan

Not for anything, but the bishop looks FABULOUS in that outfit.

November 15, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
    • Witcherino

I want him

November 15, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • Just the Facts Ma'am...

I'm not sure if there is a more perfect outfit to officiate at a gay wedding than the one he is wearing...

November 15, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
      • EPAB

LMFAO

November 15, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
  9. Peter

A shame that the commenting public, Catholics included, seems to interpret Catholicism through the skewed lens of CNN. This article is rife with misinterpretation if not blatant misrepresentation of the Pope's remarks. If I could find just one dissenter who actually understood the Church's position on this issue, I would love to hear their argument. Instead, people seem to hate the Church not for what it is, but for what they think it is (or, at best, what CNN says it is).

November 15, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
    • truthprevails1

Point to another article that disproves this. Many have valid reason for having issues with the Catholic Church, largely due to the extreme coverup and in turn protection of pedophiles...do you find priests abusing children acceptable? The abuse alone should enough to make any rational minded person walk away.

November 15, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • Gary

Blaming CNN is a scapegoat for not looking at the real issues of the failing Catholic Church. Ever been to Rome? Go some time. It will disgust you what has become of the Catholic Religion... I was there last month, sickening

November 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
    • Michael

Amen. The Bishop speaks the truth which CNN can not stand.

November 15, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
    • cedar rapids

'This article is rife with misinterpretation if not blatant misrepresentation of the Pope's remarks.'

dont tell us, you know the truth right?

November 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
  10. CDAinLA

he should first exorcise all of the pedophiles from his club.

November 15, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
    • Juan

Right on.

November 15, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
  11. Lauren B

According to my go to guide "Exorcisms for Dummys" aka "The Exorcist" I thought there was some sort of qualification process. and then you had to get permission from like a mob boss to perform it. I hope its televised. What will they throw holy water on??

November 15, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
  12. G J

Reform will never come in and through the present clergy but reform will begin with the people whom Pope Francis has directly reached out. Father Francis has recently sent a questionnaire sent to all bishops and directed them to gaining direct input from their parishioners parishioners. This questionnaire places all bishops on notice that they will be held accountable for how they reach out to those estranged by the Church. It will do much to popping the bubble of denial that such bishops as this one live. It will begin a process that will hold bishops accountable. Are they ideologues as this bishop clearly is or are they shepherds? Check out the recent questionnaire to bishops. You can find a copy on the National Catholic Reporter website, It is powerful! Could we have a reform pope in the spirit of Pope John XXIII? I hope so!

November 15, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • EPAB

The Church, indeed all of humanity needs a reformer. The Church is a very dangerous organization at the moment. It would impose its doctrine on all of us.

November 15, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
  13. too many gods... my head hurts

From the recent s.ex abuse / child p.orn arrests stemming from Canada (as reported by CNN):

"Among the 348 people arrested in the international child s.ex abuse investigation were 40 teachers, six law enforcement personnel, nine pastors or priests and some doctors and nurses, Beaven-Desjardins said."

9 out of 348 arrested were pastors/priests... that's 2.5%... which i'm pretty certain is much higher than their representation in the general poplulation.

November 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
  14. Vic

From the article:
    "But Paprocki calls same-sex marriage "contrary to the plan of God" and says all Catholics who it – from legislators to county clerks who issue marriage licenses – are "culpable of serious sin.""
    ]

My take:

What did the Lord Jesus Christ die for?!

Matthew 12:31,32
    "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come."

Galatians 3:1-13
    "3 You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified? 2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? 4 Did you suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? 5 So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?

6 Even so Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness. 7 Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham. 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “All the nations will be blessed in you.” 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer.

10 For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them.” 11 Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, “The righteous man shall live by faith.” 12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, “He who practices them shall live by them.” 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”—"

All Scripture Is From:

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation

November 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • ME II

How is that your "take"? You just quoted the Bible.

November 15, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
      • Just the Facts Ma'am...

Don't forget, with Vic it's "My take" and "My bible" and "My God" and "My faith" and "My religion" and "My salvation", to Vic it's always me me me...

November 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
        • Vic

It is "my" and NOT "me."

Belief in God is about God Himself, hence it is not "me."

Belief in God is per individual and not a blanket deal, and it is by choice and not by force, hence "my" and "yours" or "everyone's."

November 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
        • Vic

It is "my" and NOT "me."

Belief in God is about God Himself, hence it is not "me."

Belief in God is per individual and not a blanket deal, and it is by choice and not by force, hence "my" and not "yours" nor "everyone's;" I don't choose for you nor anyone else, everybody chooses for him/her self.

November 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
        • sam stone

it is not about belief in god. it is about vic and others claiming to know the nature of god

November 15, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
        • sam stone

also, vic, if god is omniscient, knows what we are going to do before we do it and cannot be wrong, it is NOT a choice.

we know about predestination because gopher said it was so, and we all know gopher is god's right hand man

November 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
      • Vic

My take is the question itself, and then quoting the Bible to answer it.

November 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
      • truthprevails1

Oh c'mon, we all know Vic hasn't had a thought of his own since he learned to speak.

November 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
      • sam stone

Vic cannot speak for himself

November 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
    • Skip the hypocrisy

A speech by Bart Ehrman at Stanford about the story behind who changed the bible and why and the history of the bible and how they got tainted. He is a former Christian bible scholar who studied the bible and found the mistakes and became an agnostic.

This speech is a must see for christians who ask questions like:
      Who wrote the gospels?
      Is the bible the word of God?
      Are there contradictions?
      Does the bible contain errors?
      Is there evidence or proof?

Bart Ehrman holds a PhD magna cum laude from Princeton Theological Seminary. He is currently the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0zWbL8Uqfw&w=640&h=360]

!!!

November 15, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • bChi

Yeah, I wrote a book as well.

November 15, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
      • Which God?

And it didn't sell, so that's why you're bChi?

November 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
  15. mason

Medieval cretins are still among us. Believers deserve what they get.

November 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • Steve

THANK YOU!!!!

November 15, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
    • lol??

Believers should get out of ANY fully leavened church.

Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

November 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
      • truthprevails1

And you should have your computer privileges removed....sadly we can't have everything we want in this world.

November 15, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
        • lol??

Socies are such Indian givers.

November 15, 2013 at 2:44 pm |
        • G to the T

Socies = Social Workers! I get it now. Those darned social workers giving you are hard time LOL?

November 15, 2013 at 4:30 pm |
  16. Peter B

I really believe the RCC needs to set up a recall program such as the automobile companies have so when their religious go haywire they can be returned for re-grooving...

November 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
  17. My Dog is a jealous Dog

Does anyone have a rough estimate of the wealth of the RCC?
    The value of the art treasures (just the ones on display) is obviously "priceless", but other museums around the world could also display them and would pay enormous amounts of money for the privilege. These items do belong to all of humanity, and it would be nice if I could go to NYC or Chicago to see them instead of halfway around the world. The RCC could eliminate poverty worldwide completely within a decade if they would just liquidate the stuff that really doesn't belong to them in the first place. The Vatican Bank has trillions in holdings, and the treasures that are displayed to the public probably only represent a small fraction of what no one has seen in centuries.

If the RCC really cared about poverty, they would be the ones wearing monks robes, and the rest of the world would have food, shelter, education, and security.

November 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
    • Gwen

The bishop's silly gold clown hat is probably worth more than an average 3rd world country person's income. Sell off church assets and ease poverty.

November 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • My Dog is a jealous Dog

Sorry to sound like a typical American, but I would gladly travel to Toronto, Montreal, or Mexico City to see what are probably the greatest works of art created by Man.

November 15, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • My Dog is a jealous Dog

The Vatican Bank is supposed to be a charitable organization. I know very little about the mafia connections, but can someone tell me what this bank actually does? The do not take deposits, but I am not sure if they make loans (0% interest?), or what charitable works it does. I believe it was set up to manage land holdings that were given to the RCC through various treaties over the years (some of these from the 20th century).

I am not that familiar – can anyone elaborate on what the Vatican Bank does?

November 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
      • Joey

I thought church employees could deposit money in the Vatican Bank.

November 15, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
        • My Dog is a jealous Dog

The Wiki entry for Vatican Bank reads like an RCC press release. Not much information that I could glean (I am lazy and busy with other things).

Where is Bill Deacon when you need him?

November 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
  18. Mopery

Reading the same book over and over again does not make you literate.

November 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
  19. theoriginaljames

This bishop obviously requires an immediate exorcism himself; long overdue.

November 15, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
  20. ben

I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my chair. XD

November 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
    • Gwen

Same here. That guy's clown hat makes it even more funny. But stupid people actually fall for it.

November 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
      • benji

don't forget the swiss guard in their clown costumes with their little guns that show a little bang flag when fired

November 15, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
    • lol??

I met her in a club down in old Soho
      Where you drink champagne
      It tastes just like Coca Cola, C-O-L-A cola

She walked up to me and she asked me to dance
      I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice
      She said Lola, L-O-L-A, Lola, L-L-Lola

Well, I'm not the world's most physical guy
      But when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine
      Oh my Lola, L-L-Lola

Read more: Kinks – Lola Lyrics | MetroLyrics

November 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
    • Steve

Know what is more sad than your comment? God says in His HOLY WORD that on Judgement day, He will laugh at the sinners calamity. He is / has given people every chance to repent and turn to Him, but it is people like you and so many other lost souls posting on here that show ignorance in the MAX!!! I will be sorry to see the laugh He gives but it will be deserved.

November 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
      • Just the Facts Ma'am...

"He is / has given people every chance to repent and turn to Him" Thats a neat trick for something that has yet to give any evidence of its existence...

November 15, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
      • Which God?

Steve, neither god nor heysus ever said a word. Never. What you read in your little black book are words written by man, for man. Not inspired at all, it's just a collection of writingsfrom way back when, when most folks could not read, let alone write.

November 15, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
      • truthprevails1

You don't know that the bible is its word. We do know that man wrote, no evidence of divine inspiration/guidance.

November 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
        • Timmy

its called faith you DumbA$s!.

November 15, 2013 at 2:50 pm |