home
RSS
Illinois bishop plans gay-marriage exorcism
Bishop Thomas Paprocki of Illinois is planning an exorcism for the state after it approved gay marriage.
November 15th, 2013

Illinois bishop plans gay-marriage exorcism

By Daniel Burke, Belief Blog Co-editor

(CNN) - The devil made them do it?

According to a Catholic bishop in Springfield, Illinois, Satan was behind his state's recent legalization of same-sex marriage.

So, next Wednesday, at about the same time Gov. Pat Quinn signs the gay marriage bill into law, Bishop Thomas Paprocki will hold an exorcism ceremony "in reparation for the sin of same-sex marriage."

Paprocki, who's something of an expert on exorcism, says he's just following the Pope's marching orders.

When Pope Francis, then Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, was an archbishop in Argentina, he called that country's legalization of same-sex marriage "a 'move' of the father of lies who wishes to confuse and deceive the children of God."

In a statement released on Thursday, Paprocki said: "The pope's reference to the 'father of lies' comes from the Gospel of John, where Jesus refers to the devil as 'a liar and the father of lies.' So Pope Francis is saying that same-sex 'marriage' comes from the devil and should be condemned as such."

Since his election as Pope in March, Francis seems to have taken a less combative approach to homosexuality. At a news conference in July, for example, he said "Who am I to judge?" a gay person who seeks to be a good person.

Illinois politicians - including Catholics - cited the Pope's words when explaining their support for the state's same-sex marriage bill.

In September, the Pope said the church has no right to "interfere spiritually" in the lives of gays and lesbians and chided Catholics who "obsess" about fighting culture war issues like abortion and same-sex marriage.

MORE ON CNN: Pope Francis: Church can't 'interfere' with gays

But Paprocki calls same-sex marriage "contrary to the plan of God" and says all Catholics who support it - from legislators to county clerks who issue marriage licenses - are "culpable of serious sin."

The bishop has invited priests and lay Catholics to his exorcism ceremony, officially called "“Prayers of Supplication and Exorcism in Reparation for the Sin of Same-Sex Marriage,” which is scheduled for November 20 at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Springfield, Illinois.

Paprocki says the ceremony will follow the Catholic Church's Rite of Exorcism, which explains that Satan not only possesses people, he can also invade places and things, including the church itself.

"We must pray for deliverance from this evil which has penetrated our state and our church," Paprocki said.

Exorcism is experiencing something of a renaissance in the United States, with the Catholic bishops recruiting dozens of priests to perform the ancient rite. Paprocki is among the bishops leading the recruiting drive.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Culture wars • Faith • Gay marriage • Gay rights • Pope Francis

soundoff (3,013 Responses)
  1. Reality

wow.. the catholic church is exposed.. Wait. we need to xpose them for the cover ups of child abuse.

November 15, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
  2. Michael

If you can't tell this bishop is a huge flaming man loving closet case then you need to have your head examined.

2ndly, the original text of the Bible doesn't condemn gay people. The ones who don't want to believe this are also the ones who refuse to spend 2 minutes Googling the topic.

November 15, 2013 at 7:56 pm |
    • sam

The more insanely religious someone is, the less they know about their own crazy book.

November 15, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
  3. Robert Brown

What is the reason you are an atheist?

November 15, 2013 at 7:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Lack of belief in gods, Robert.

November 15, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
      • Robert Brown

Hey Tom,

I can understand that, but I was really more curious about specific reasons for unbelief.

November 15, 2013 at 8:01 pm |
        • Goodwithoutatheism

Their response will be "lack of evidence" but we both know there is a digger reason they won't admit on the surface to people.

November 15, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Well that's where this "L" character and others have gone wrong. One needs a reason for belief. Unbelief, usually not.

November 15, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
        • Robert Brown

Thanks Tom, I do think those who believe have reasons, so it makes sense that some who don't simply have no reason. Lack of evidence is also a popular response and is similar.

November 15, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
        • Thomas D

Good without a theism, what's the digger reason?

I call troll.

November 15, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
    • Thomas D

How many times must one answer this before you get over you incredulity, Robert?

November 15, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
      • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson rebukes Richard Dawkins

Robert is trying to understand, and there's nothing wrong with that.

November 15, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
        • Thomas D

I guess, but this isn't the first time I've seem this question from him , and it probably won't be the last.

November 15, 2013 at 9:30 pm |
    • JJ

What is the reason you don't believe in Zeus? Now you know why I'm an atheist.

November 15, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
      • Goodwithoutatheism

Zeus isn't as important as God is to many atheists.

November 15, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
        • JJ

Huh?

November 15, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
        • sam

Your pretzel logic needs more salt.

November 15, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
        • G to the T

Very few people in the US are trying to push for civil legislation to deny rights to others based on their beliefs about Zeus. If they were (and were on here commenting), I'm pretty sure you'd see people speaking against Zeus as well. On a side note, I would recommend using "Yahweh" or more accurately "El/Yahweh". The use of "God" (which is specifically intended to represent the christian god) is just too confusing in normal parlance.

November 21, 2013 at 11:53 am |
      • Robert Brown

JJ, that really doesn't make sense to me. I can understand why someone who has belief in a particular god would reject other gods. It doesn't really compare with lack of belief in all gods.

November 15, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
        • Thomas D

You think all others gods except your own as not being believable; atheists just go one further. Quite simple.

November 15, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
        • Robert Brown

It makes no sense. If you believe in a god, you have a reason to believe in that god and a reason to not believe in others. If you believe there is no such thing, you can do so, without a reason.

November 15, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
    • Observer

I've read much of the Bible.

November 15, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
      • Robert Brown

Thanks Observer, that one comes up fairly often as well. It usually involves rejection of miracles, science and the bible, and the differences between human morality and the holiness of God.

November 15, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
        • Observer

Robert Brown,

"It usually involves rejection of miracles, science and the bible, and the differences between human morality and the holiness of God."

You appear very confused. It's the Bible that, in effect, claims all the laws of science are optional.

Human morality usually rejects the "holiness of God" with the Biblical support of slavery and discriminations against women, the handicapped, etc.

November 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
      • Live4Him

To what purpose?

November 15, 2013 at 9:06 pm |
    • AE

My reasons for following atheism centered around selfishness and closed-mindedness.

November 15, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
      • Tom, Tom, the Other One

I'm glad you got over that, AE. May your faith be in something as harmless as Einstein's.

November 15, 2013 at 8:24 pm |

And your faith, too.

November 15, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
      • TopherAustinAELawrencefaith

Is that me, AE?

November 15, 2013 at 8:25 pm |
        • AE

There is that selfishness and closed-mindedness I was talking about!

November 15, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
        • Jen

That just sounds ad hominem AE. Don't play their game. You suck when you stoop.

November 15, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
        • AE

That troll has been following me around for too long. I'm only human.

November 15, 2013 at 8:33 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

It's me. Confirmed.

November 15, 2013 at 8:37 pm |
        • Thomas D

Do you think there aren't Christian trolls here? Would you term them closed-minded and selfish, as well?

November 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
        • AE

I know there are Christian trolls! But that one has been pestering me with the same redundant phrase for a long time. It'd be ok if it was funny or made some kind of sense...

November 15, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
        • Live4Him

@AE : That troll has been following me around for too long. I'm only human.

Is this how Christ would act? Rather, if someone is stalking you, click the report abuse. CNN will step in and purge their post. When it happens often enough, they generally leave you alone.

November 15, 2013 at 9:04 pm |

November 15, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
        • Live4Him

@AE : Jesus would probably not waste his time with someone like that when there are so many people looking for what He offers.

Exactly. So you should ignore it too. By responding, you're validating their expectations that Christians are just like them, but judgmental to boot. You're in my prayers, so keep up the good work!

November 15, 2013 at 9:38 pm |
      • Thomas D

How does a person "follow" atheism?

November 15, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
        • AE

I just did whatever I wanted.

November 15, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Well that's more like egoism, AE. Atheism doesn't preclude that, but atheism may not have been at fault.

November 15, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
        • Thomas D

That's not necessarily atheism, that is just selfish behavior. That isn't reserved for atheists. That's a human tendency. Christians do that, also.

November 15, 2013 at 8:37 pm |
        • AE

I'm just playing. A lot of atheists on here claim religious people are delusional, illogical, bigots, etc. Just turning the tables, so to speak.

November 15, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
        • Thomas D

Ah. Well, have at it. People claim all sorts is things. It's up to the individual to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I don't like generalizations, so I tend to shy away from posts that do so. Mostly.

November 15, 2013 at 9:24 pm |

Good idea.

November 15, 2013 at 9:34 pm |
      • Robert Brown

Thanks AE, that puzzles me some. I tend to think that humans are capable of selfishness and selflessness at times whether they believe or not.

November 15, 2013 at 8:33 pm |
        • AE

Yea, I'm still selfish and closed-minded. But since finding Jesus Christ I live differently. I'm not as selfish and closed-minded today.

November 15, 2013 at 8:37 pm |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

Selfishness and selflessness in the same act sometimes, I'm sure. People are complicated.

November 15, 2013 at 8:39 pm |
        • Terry

Religion is not a valid basis, nor a good basis for morals, or for any other life guidance. A very appropriate quote:

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

-Steven Weinberg

Religion is for those too cowardly to think for themselves.

-Terry

November 15, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
        • Robert Brown

Amen AE, Jesus gave us perfect examples. The perfect servant and sacrifice, selfless.

November 15, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
        • AE

uh oh, here comes the science...

November 15, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
        • AE

“A scientific discovery is also a religious discovery. There is no conflict between science and religion. Our knowledge of God is made larger with every discovery we make about the world.”

–Joseph H. Taylor, Jr., who received the 1993 Nobel Prize in Physics for the discovery of the first known binary pulsar, and for his work which supported the Big Bang theory of the creation of the universe.

“It may seem bizarre, but in my opinion science offers a surer path to God than religion.”

–Physicist Paul Davies, the winner of the 2001 Kelvin Medal issued by the Inst!tute of Physics and the winner of the 2002 Faraday Prize issued by the Royal Society

November 15, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
        • Bob

The whole Jesus sacrifice thing is completely bogus. Christians, how is it again that your omnipotent being couldn't do his saving bit without the whole silly Jesus hoopla? And how was Jesus' death a "sacrifice", when an omnipotent being could just pop up a replacement son any time with less than a snap of his fingers? Pretty pathetic "god" that you've made for yourself there.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
          Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

November 15, 2013 at 8:51 pm |

Robert Brown

Yes. He has changed me for the better. People see the evidence (what I was like, what I am like now) and tell me to keep doing what I'm doing!

November 15, 2013 at 8:52 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

I love me too, AE.

November 15, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
        • AE

Lawrence of Arabia, I love us too.

November 15, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
        • AE

Bob, you would probably point at my disabilities and try to use them as a reason to curse God. But I know better.

God loves amputees. I'll trust them over you.

November 15, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
        • AE

“There are people that deal with (an injury) and move on and accept it, and there are people that don’t and are miserable,” Davis said. “I would say to (new amputees), ‘Put your faith in Christ and let him heal you.’”

Tom Davis, an Iraq War veteran who lost his leg when an improvised explosive device went off during a night patrol

November 15, 2013 at 8:59 pm |
      • Surprise!

I hope you're not insinuating that that is the only reason people are atheists.

November 15, 2013 at 9:06 pm |

No. Not seriously.

November 15, 2013 at 9:11 pm |
  4. sodom

Paprocki and Lincoln. Springfield's finest!

November 15, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • Topher

Austin, is that me?

November 15, 2013 at 7:42 pm |

• I would never dispute that

November 15, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
  5. Goodwithoutatheism

The hardest fact atheists can't accept is accepting atheism is a belief.

November 15, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • Maddy

The hard fact is you don't know what atheism means after being told repeatedly, "L".

November 15, 2013 at 7:31 pm |
      • Goodwithoutatheism

I know, the truth is very hard to accept.

November 15, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
        • Maddy

I know the meaning of the word atheist. From every post I've seen you make, that meaning has escaped you.

November 15, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
        • Goodwithoutatheism

I know what being an atheist means, you still have faith even if your ego prevents you from seeing it.

November 15, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
        • Mike

I'm not an atheist. You, however, are an uneducated individual with you repeated assertions of what an atheist is, when it is clear you truly haven't the first clue.
          Although your post could apply to Christians, as well; you've made that abundantly clear that you consider your belief in atheists to be true.

November 15, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
        • sam

Translation: "I know what atheism means, because my church explained it to me." Go away, douchebag.

November 15, 2013 at 7:50 pm |
        • Maddy

No, you don't know what atheist means.

Not one clue, "L ".

Changing your username doesn't make your assumptions any more true; it just means you decided to be a troll under a different name.

I'm not an atheist; but you seem to think anyone who corrects you must be atheist.

Nope.

November 15, 2013 at 7:58 pm |
        • Kev

noun1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings. Dictionary.conEnglish definition of “atheism”     atheism  /ˈeɪ·θiˌɪz·əm/ n [U]› the belief that God does not exist(Definition of atheism n from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary © Cambridge University Press)Focus on the pronunciation of atheism

Merriam-Webster: Main Entry: doc·trine Pronunciation: \ˈdäk-trən\Function: nounEtymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latindoctrina, from doctorDate: 14th century1 archaic : teaching, instruction2 a : something that is taught b: a principle or position or the body of principles in a branch of knowledge or system of belief : dogma c : a principle of law established through past decisions d : a statement of fundamental government policy especially in international relations e : a military principle or set of strategies

November 15, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Other One

A couple of people have been through here with that stuff already. Do you have naything more interesting? Do you believe in a god? Which one, and why?

November 15, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • sam

Blah blah blah. Boring, faulty logic. Go obsess somewhere else.

November 15, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • sftommy

keep holding your breath for that

November 15, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
      • Goodwithoutatheism

Atheists deny facts? Call the logic police!

November 15, 2013 at 7:49 pm |
  6. sodom

I have a loyal follower on my posts. He is 'lil Mike.

November 15, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • sodom

I want to do him. Badly. Does that make me a hypocrite?

November 15, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
      • faith

how is our lawsuit going?

November 15, 2013 at 7:41 pm |
    • Mike

Lunatic.

November 15, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
  7. Douglas

Honor the dignity of celibate LGBTQ Christians who are obedient
    to the teachings of the Old and New Testament regarding the sin of man on man
    or woman on woman acts.

Matthew 19 provides a blueprint for what Jesus defined as a marriage in the eyes of God.

Try as they might, the apologists for these sins cannot change or "edit" the
    word of God.

The Bible is not a "Wikipedia" topic that you can "edit" at will.

Each word is inspired by God.

Let the celibate LGBTQ Christians know that they are bound for glory when they reject
    the temptation to fornicate at Satan's calling.

Fornicating straights - this message includes YOU!

November 15, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
    • sodom

Intelligent. Refreshing on a CNN post.

November 15, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
    • Mike

Oh , be quiet, you old hen. MYOB.

November 15, 2013 at 7:27 pm |

• Do you ever make natural use of women Douglas?

November 15, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
      • sam

There's no way anyone's ever put out for this whack. And he's too busy repressing his love of cock.

November 15, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • Observer

Douglas,

When you START advocating celibacy for the MUCH MUCH GREATER number of Christian ADULTERERS, then you will BEGIN to have credibility.

November 15, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
    • Observer

Douglas,

Your ONE line for straights doesn't cut it.

November 15, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • sam

I look forward to the day when nutjobs like you are a rarer breed.

November 15, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • snowboarder

the supposed words of any gods are irrelevant in our secular society.

November 15, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
    • sftommy

Faith in God is stronger than Fear of God.

20th Bishop of Alexandria choose to select and omit Christs words, forming a bible we know today but that omits many of the "words of God" handed down to us from the other Apostles.

Did St. Athanasius guess right in editing the spoken words of Jesus Christ?
      Shall we ask the Apostles Thomas and Philip?

November 15, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
  8. sodom

Exorcise fake Catholics like Pelosi, Kerry, Durbin and Sebelius, for starters.

November 15, 2013 at 7:22 pm |

• says the defender of pedophile priests

November 15, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
      • sodom

You mean gay priests

November 15, 2013 at 7:27 pm |

• Do you confuse gay with pedophile? And you call yourself sodom?

November 15, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
        • Mike

Moron that doesn't know that the majority of pedophiles are straight men. Stupid Goober.

November 15, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
        • sam

Troll harder. idiot.

November 15, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
    • sftommy

Cantor's wife married a Jew, shouldn't that result in an excommunication or exorcism or scourging?

November 15, 2013 at 8:08 pm |
      • a reasonable atheist

Everyone loves a good scourging. The only thing better would be a good keel-hauling!

November 16, 2013 at 9:22 am |
  9. Visualize whirled peas

After the last gay wedding I went too, I hit the bar later and after all the tequila I'm pretty sure I puked on everything, everybody and most of the walls.

Can't say my head spun around but if it did I don't remember.

November 15, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
  10. sodom

How does gay marriage play in Peoria? Not very well at all. Central Illinois is pi**ed.

November 15, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
    • Mike

Then Central Illinois, and that cesspool Peoria, doesn't have to get gay married.

November 15, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
  11. Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson rebukes Richard Dawkins

You know, there are still a few of the old, hard core Catholic priests that have just been looking for an opportunity to take exorcism off the shelf and drive it around the block a few times.

November 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
  12. sodom

One man one woman. Forever.

November 15, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
    • snowboarder

even a cursory glance at history and even a flip through the bible will tell you that is a lie.

November 15, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
    • Mike

Lol. Keep denying reality. You seem to be good at that.

November 15, 2013 at 7:13 pm |
    • sam

You forgot the 50% divorce rate, nutjob.

November 15, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
    • doobzz

Sounds like something a thirteen year old scribbles on a bathroom wall.

November 15, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
  13. Jeffsf

Does Bishop Paprocki realize what a clown he has become? Cant you just see him up there doing a Max von Sydow impression.....The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you! Please, please someone video it! I am sure someone from SNL will want it for the basis of a skit! I tell you, you just cant make this stuff up.

November 15, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • Linda Blair

Now kindly undo these straps..

November 15, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
  14. NYcookie

Oh My!! I couldn't believe it when I saw this article. I'm thinking he's in for a real dressing down from Pope Frances!! This bishop is emanating such hatred which is exactly what Pope Frances has been preaching against and dedicating his life to!!! I think we are going to be hearing a lot more about this bishop and the Pope's reaction to what he has done!!! Watch!!!

November 15, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • Linda Blair

I thought it was a Monty Python skit at first

November 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson rebukes Richard Dawkins

No, I think what we are seeing is a fight for the soul of the church – truly good vs. evil.

November 15, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
  15. Snow

oh wow.. what a phhuking eedeeott.. I can't believe someone somewhere actually listens to this guy

November 15, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
  16. sodom

In the eyes of the mighty, Holy See, snowboarder is not even a fart in the wind.

November 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • Mike

In the eyes of the BB posters, you are an irrelevant troll.

November 15, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
      • sodom

I don't want to be like Mike. Creepy

November 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
        • Mike

You could never begin to measure up. Stay small, little man.

November 15, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • Snow

in those same non existent eyes, we all are the same.. so what you say about snowboarder is the same about you too..

November 15, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • snowboarder

@Sodom, the mighty what? I've yet to see the evidence of a mighty anything regarding religion.

November 15, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
  17. Stupid video won't load

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0WpNhQF0Vs&w=640&h=360]

November 15, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • Stupid video won't load

Yay there we go....who wants a glow stick?

November 15, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
  18. sodom

I commend your moral clarity, Bishop Paprocki.

November 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson rebukes Richard Dawkins

Yes, he would fit in wonderfully back in the good old days of the inquisition.

November 15, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
    • snowboarder

lol! as if the catholic church has any clue about morality.

November 15, 2013 at 6:56 pm |

• Commend him as he dwindles into insignificance. We shall not see his like again.

November 15, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
    • JJ

Lol....you've got to be a troll. This guy and fudge packer in the dress and funny hat probably smokes more poles than his fellow buddies.

November 15, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • Jeffsf

I would say don't encourage the Bishop but I cant wait to see the spectacle! I am going to be ROLFLMAO.

November 15, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
    • Buzz

I wonder what happens when you combine paprockis with claret tea?

November 15, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
  19. Observer

In their haste to pick on gays, many Christians ignore the Golden Rule and don't bother to actually read the Bible.

The sin of Sodom was GREED.
    – source: God

Unreliable source?

November 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
    • sam

But greed is fun for christians. They only stick to the sins they find convenient, and pearl clutch randomly at others.

November 15, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
  20. Goodwithoutatheism

Leave your atheism to yourself. Stop trying to force your atheistic religion down our throats and in our schools. Stop trying to force your atheistic beliefs in politics. You can only be atheists in your homes and churches. You can't spread your atheism.

November 15, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
    • snowboarder

lol! says the guy who clearly wishes his theology could influence the rights of his countrymen.

November 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm |

Wrong again.

November 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm |
        • snowboarder

then I was wrong about you. good for you that you support gay marriage. i'm impressed.

November 15, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
        • Goodwithoutatheism

You obviously missed who I am acting like...

November 15, 2013 at 6:58 pm |
        • snowboarder

unfortunately, on this forum it is difficult to differentiate the loony from the sarcastic.

November 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
        • Mike

I like your name. Good without a theism. Catchy.

November 15, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
        • Goodwithoutatheism

Can you read? It's "Good without atheism". There's an A there..

November 15, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
    • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson rebukes Richard Dawkins

You may say that, but we know there are plenty of folks who go to church who are doubters.

November 15, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
      • Goodwithoutatheism

Atheism has a church now. It has become a religious cult!

November 15, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
        • snowboarder

I have never seen an atheist church, yet I have been an atheist for more than a generation.

you can no more categorize atheists by an "atheist church" in the news than all christians can be categorized by the westboro baptist church. doing so only illustrates your ignorance.

November 15, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
        • Read

November 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
        • Goodwithoutatheism

It's a legit religion now. It's a religious cult and should be treated as so. Atheists don't like a taste of their own medicine.

November 15, 2013 at 7:01 pm |
        • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson rebukes Richard Dawkins

You know, if you had the strength to overcome the fear that has been placed in you by religion, you'd feel a lot better about yourself and the people around you.

November 15, 2013 at 7:01 pm |
        • Goodwithoutatheism

I don't have fear. You might have fear but I don't.

November 15, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
        • snowboarder

@theism, it seems ironic to me that the best insult you have against atheism is to compare it to religion. what exactly does that say about religion?

November 15, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
        • Maddy

It appears that the troll "L" changed his name.

November 15, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
        • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson rebukes Richard Dawkins

Oh, I have a couple of concerns, but no fears of supernatural beings that don't exist. You know, Justice Scalia – wow, he believes the devil is quite clever.

November 15, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
        • Dr. Fact

Unfortunately atheists are so brainwashed and delusional that they can not see the truth about the correlation between their beliefs and religious beliefs.

November 15, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
        • snowboarder

@dr, exactly how is disbelief a "belief"?

November 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
        • Goodwithoutatheism

It has the word "belief" in it, doesn't it? It's a belief either way. You can make a fuss about it, you can try and deny it, but it's true. Hardest fact an atheist can face. The only fact they can't face.

November 15, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
        • Dr. Fact

Atheists only believe their beliefs are "disbeliefs" because of their brainwashings.

November 15, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • FreeFromTheism

Asking the respecting of separation of church and state is shoving atheism down people's throats? Are you sure?

November 15, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
      • Goodwithoutatheism

Forcing people to only believe in their homes and churches isn't "separation of church and state". It's atheistic communism.

November 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
        • FreeFromTheism

Nobody is asking for that. Beliefs cannot be forced.
          You must be seriously confused about what atheism is and what atheists do.

November 15, 2013 at 7:01 pm |
        • snowboarder

atheists have been shutting down churches right and left in this country. oh.. never mind. that never actually happened.

November 15, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
        • Goodwithoutatheism

Atheists have been trying for years to make that a reality where everyone MUST be religious only in their homes and churches. They all have failed but they keep trying. Yeah, they act exactly like any religious fundie does yet they don't even realize it. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

November 15, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
        • snowboarder

@theism, that is a blatant lie. yes, there are a few "activist" atheists out there, but just like the majority of christians don't attempt to install a theocracy, the majority of atheists don't try to do other than protect ourselves from an enforced theism.

November 15, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
        • Goodwithoutatheism

And I shall protect myself from forced atheism.

November 15, 2013 at 7:09 pm |
        • snowboarder

@theism, you just do that. hopefully it will keep you busy.

November 15, 2013 at 7:13 pm |