home
RSS
Satanists want statue next to 10 Commandments
A Ten Commandments monument erected outside the Oklahoma state Capitol.
December 9th, 2013

Satanists want statue next to 10 Commandments

By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor
[twitter-follow screen_name='BurkeCNN']

(CNN) - Lots of lawmakers have been accused of devilish behavior, but Oklahoma's state capitol may become the first to actually have a monument to Satan.

If a New York-based group called the Temple of Satan gets its way, a statue of the Evil One would sit next to the recently erected 10 Commandments monument on state capitol grounds.

"They said they wanted to be open to different monuments," said Lucien Greaves, a spokesman for the Temple of Satan, "and this seems like a perfect place to put that to the test."

Greaves and some legal experts say the Constitution is clear: the government can't endorse one particular religion. So, if a state capitol has a monument to one faith, it must allow monuments to others as well.

The Temple of Satan is less a religious body organized around rituals and regular meetings than a roving band of political provocateurs, said Greaves. They believe Satan is a "literary construct," the spokesman said, not an actual being with horns and hooves.

Last year, the Temple organized a gay and lesbian kiss-in at the gravesite of the mother of anti-gay preacher and activist the Rev. Fred Phelps. It also held a rally at Florida's state capitol in support of a law that allows "inspirational messages" at public school assemblies.

"It allows us to spread the message of Satanism," which centers around respect for diversity and religious minorities, said Greaves.

Oklahoma legislators voted to erect the Ten Commandments monument in 2009, using private funds donated by Rep. Mike Rietz, a surgeon and Southern Baptist deacon.

Rietz declined to comment on the Satanists' proposal on Monday, citing an separate and ongoing dispute with the American Civil Liberties Union over the Ten Commandments monument.

Oklahoma state Rep. Bob Cleveland told CNN that he's not in favor of the Satanist's proposed statue.

"I believe that only monuments that reflect Oklahoma values should be allowed on capitol the capitol grounds," Cleveland said in an e-mail on Monday.

But if Christians and Jews can have their monument to the 10 Commandments, then Satanists must be allowed to erect their own statue, said Brady Henderson, legal director of the American Civil Liberty Union's Oklahoma chapter.

"We feel like the Satanic Temple has a very strong argument to say that, if the state allows one religious monument, you have to allow others," Henderson said.

Oklahoma's statehouse grounds already has monuments honoring its heritage and Native American history, said Trait Thompson, chair of the Capitol Preservation Commission.

"Individuals and groups are free to apply to place a monument or statue or artwork," Thompson said.

The commission then determines whether the proposal abides by its standards and votes on whether to approve it.

Greaves said he's received the required forms from Oklahoma's Capitol Preservation Commission and is working on a design that will meet its standards.

"We want something big and bold that will be able to stand up to the weather or whatever other kinds of assaults," that may target the monument, he said.

"My favorite idea right now is an object of play for children. We want kids to see that Satanism is where the fun is."

The Temple of Satan created a Indiegogo fundraising page on Monday, but have thus far only publicly raised $150 towards its goal of $20,000.

Not all Satanist groups see the fun in political provocations.

Magus Peter Gilmore, head of the Church of Satan, which was founded by Anton LaVey in 1966, said he believes in strict separation of church and state.

"Rather than placing multiple 'advertisements' for various religions, we think it best for the (10 Commandments) monument to be removed to private property and that there be no objects supporting religion of any sort placed on the statehouse grounds," Gilmore said.

Earlier this year, Gilmore's Church of Satan squared off against a British group of Satanists over abortion rights, after activists shouted "Hail Satan" to drown out anti-abortion activists at the Texas state capitol.

READ MORE: Satanists square off on abortion (Yes, really)

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Belief • Church and state • Culture wars • Devil • Satanism

soundoff (3,610 Responses)
  1. bisdak

kinsa mang bisayang dako nga nka basa ani akong gi post kay kuyog ta mo bisita sa yawa

December 14, 2013 at 4:14 am |
  2. neved

the deluge of comments by the netizens had shown that a great number of people are now confused with religion.Anti heroes now is becoming to take roots in their confused conscience.With traditional faith in conflict with science,what shall be done.We are now at the dawn of change or revolution,led from the top of dynamic leadership

December 14, 2013 at 3:41 am |
    • devent

The logical solution is to Pray to God for wisdom and guidance,and the guidance we need shall be science oriented.Lets participate in next agenda of CERN Switzerland program.(a gathering of scientist,philosopers and theologians to find the common grounds religious reality)

December 14, 2013 at 3:55 am |
      • igaftr

First, how is praying to any given deity logical, when none can be shown to exist, and second, which one of the thousands of gods?
        For instance...nogomain is more powerful than YOUR god...he created everything AND created himself from nothing.....your god is weak.
        It is ILLOGICAL to pray to any god, until one can verify its existance.

December 15, 2013 at 9:26 am |
  3. Joe

Plain and simple NO PROMOTION OF RELIGION ON GOVERNMENT PROPERTY If its good for god its good for satan

December 13, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
  4. Snow

Why is Christianity so popular? Well, what other religion lets you sin away as much as you want, live a depraved life and at the last seconds of the life say "god, please forgive me – I accept you in my heart" and have their slate cleaned of all their sins – and off you go to heaven/lala-land.. Pretty sweet deal, if you ask me!

December 13, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • EnjaySea

Yep, that'd be great, if any of it were true.

December 13, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
      • doobzz

Actually, it is true, according to fundies.

December 15, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
    • World Light

Christianity is so popular because it has shown results and has changed evil men into good ones the reason its not as effective anymore because its not being taught right Bible principles should be shown in school and at an early age they used to show it in the early 40s 50s and America was strong and good then now its illegal to show that stuff and look what has happend to our morals and values they became beer pong and world of warcraft !

December 14, 2013 at 10:38 pm |
      • doobzz

Punctuation is your friend.

December 15, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
        • Dandintac

I think he's trying for a Stream of Consciousness narrative mode.

December 16, 2013 at 12:19 am |
        • doobzz

Ah, and here I thought he was just a bad writer.

December 16, 2013 at 12:40 am |
      • cedar rapids

'Bible principles should be shown in school and at an early age they used to show it in the early 40s 50s and America was strong and good'

Yeah because its not as if there was jim crow or any other such nonsense at such a glorious time in America's history. Talk about rose colored glasses.

December 16, 2013 at 1:25 pm |
  5. Snow

Sure, if this is not about promoting christianity, why not be proactive and add a "behavioral rules" from other religions as well along side..

Nothing to do with christianity, right? ya, right!!

December 13, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
  6. Scott

Then suddenly, a mighty angel picked up a boulder shaped like a huge Mill
    Stone, and threw it into The
    *Atlantic Ocean,*
    and cried mightily with a loud voice saying!!
    Just as I have thrown away this stone, the great city of Babylon will be thrown down with violence , and shall never be found again!!!
    The Book Of Revelation, Chapter 18 verse 21

December 13, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
    • cedar rapids

you could have just said 'Hulk Smash!' and it would carry the same weight whilst having the same dramatic effect.

December 16, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
  7. sly

I have a lot of respect for Satan. Anyone who has read history knows that He was once ruler of the world, and did a much better job at it than Allah.

Now, Allah is God. He is Great. Allah Ackbar. But ... Satan is to be respected as a wise man of the ages.

December 13, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • Scott

Jn 3: 16-19

December 13, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
  8. George

What does our money say on it? "In God we Trust". Not in satan we trust. Why do you think this great nation of ours was blessed so much????

December 13, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
    • bostontola

Why do you think this great nation of ours was blessed????

Our success now is more to do with science and technology than anything else. Yes, I've already heard the argument that science and technology come from god. Maybe, but for sure they have come from scientists and technologists (i.e. humans).

December 13, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • redzoa

"Why do you think this great nation of ours was blessed so much????"

Well, I'd offer that among the more prominent factors are: 1) the trans-Atlantic slave trade; 2) indigenous populations susceptible to endemic European pathogens; 3) bountiful natural resources; and 4) the relative safety of isolation with two oceans on either side. More to the point of the article, America is to my knowledge the most religious and most religiously diverse nation among our western industrialized peers. Tocqueville, when inquiring about this religiosity observed the following:

"On my arrival in the United States the religious aspect of the country was the first thing that struck my attention; and the longer I stayed there, the more I perceived the great political consequences resulting from this new state of things. In France I had almost always seen the spirit of religion and the spirit of freedom marching in opposite directions. But in America I found they were intimately united and that they reigned in common over the same country. My desire to discover the causes of this phenomenon increased from day to day. In order to satisfy it I questioned the members of all the different sects; I sought especially the society of the clergy, who are the depositaries of the different creeds and are especially interested in their duration. As a member of the Roman Catholic Church, I was more particularly brought into contact with several of its priests, with whom I became intimately acquainted. To each of these men I expressed my astonishment and explained my doubts. I found that they differed upon matters of detail alone, and that they all attributed the peaceful dominion of religion in their country mainly to the separation of church and state. I do not hesitate to affirm that during my stay in America I did not meet a single individual, of the clergy or the laity, who was not of the same opinion on this point. "

December 13, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • Scott

"Was"....AMEN!
      Babylon is FINISHED!
      REV18

December 13, 2013 at 6:31 pm |
    • Snow

I also know what it doesn't say.. it doesn't say "in christian god we trust".. so why the special treatment to things in christianity?

December 13, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
    • doobzz

Good grief, are you completely unaware of US history? The words "in god we trust" were added in the 1950s due to McCarthyism and the Second Red Scare, as was "under god" in the Pledge of Allegiance. It's not a part of our history that anyone should be proud of.

December 15, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • Paper Street Soap Company

'What does our money say on it? "In God we Trust".'

In all fairness, considering His history, money is the most appropriate place for God's name to appear. After all, even a light study of Christian history shows us that the Good Lord helps those who help themselves to anything that isn't nailed down.

December 15, 2013 at 11:46 pm |
  9. Crashman

Why is there a tablet of the 10 Commandments in front of the state office building? So when the politicians come out, they can check off the latest one they broke?

December 13, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
  10. sly

Y'all know how many gorgeous teenage chicks there are in Heaven – not deflowered? No Laws. The Big Fella loves a bit of hanky panky (see Palm 41:421aosx Adam-Eve). No wives. No football?

Just a hole lotta time to roll around with the cute chicks and eclipse Wilt the Stilts famous '10000' record.

Now THATS enough for me not to be an athiest.

December 13, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
  11. Samuel

I used to be an athiest until my heart attack and near death experience- my advice to everyone is the God of the Bible is real and if you keep using science or lack of proof as an excuse, you will come face to face with demons as you die. Please open your hearts and look around you, another school shooting today-evil is real.

December 13, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

How come Hindus never see Jesus when they have a NDE?

December 13, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
      • Gorsh

Why do Hindus have NDEs so similar to Christians or Muslims?

December 13, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I would say it is most likely because they are all humans and when the brain starts to shut down the flood of chemicals tend to give a similar experience.

December 13, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
        • fred

Blessed are the Cheesemakers
          So how is your guess more reliable than the actual experience?
          What about my experience with God during my conversion that was similar to other Christians?

December 14, 2013 at 12:20 am |

fred,

Because your "actual experience" is not demonstrable as to what the actual cause was. You posit supernatural explanations that have never been shown to be real. My explanation has actual scientific experiments that have been able to replicate the NDE's in a lab. No supernatural explanations needed.

Notice I am not saying something supernatural did not happen to you....there just is no reason for me to think it did.

December 14, 2013 at 12:50 am |
        • fred

Blessed are the Cheesemakers
          I still have not heard one person tell me one thing that Jesus said (or was claimed to have been said by him) which was not the truth. Let know if you hear of one.
          I have no issues with science but realize science cannot address the purpose of existence which is left to philosophy and religion. It is not unreasonable to believe Jesus concerning the unknown absent information that would show he is not reliable.

December 14, 2013 at 1:04 am |

fred,

Jesus was very va.gue and believers like yourself rationalize any inconsistency in what he is claimed to have said. The fact that you feel you can overcome challenges to your statement is not impressive. You can't demonstrate you are correct that nothing he said was false...at best it becomes a stalemate after the theological mental gymnastics are employed. It would be impressive if you could prove him right....it is not enough to be able to claim we can't prove him wrong

I find it more telling that Jesus failed to give humans any demonstrable information we did not already possess, empirical or philosophical. Everything he said philosophically had already been stated in some form before, and he gave no empirical knowledge that humanity did not already possess. He said absolutely nothing that would lead anyone to think he was divine.

December 14, 2013 at 1:25 am |
        • fred

Blessed are the Cheesemakers
          Thanks for your reply, I had not looked at Jesus words that way. I actually need to sleep on that to see if there are statements that do not rely on faith or trust in the source. Have a good weekend !

December 14, 2013 at 1:57 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Thanks for the discussion fred, I hope you have a good weekend as well.

December 14, 2013 at 2:23 am |
    • Yarah

You got that right.

December 13, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
    • Guest1

1. I don't believe you when you say you were an atheist.
      2. For the billionth time, "atheist" is spelled A-T-H-E-I-S-T, not A-T-H-I-E-S-T . I guess a real atheist would know it...
      3. Didn't you know even before your heart attack and NDE that heart attacks happen and that death is a certainty for all of us? Just because I will die some day, that shouldn't stop me from thinking logically.

December 13, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
  12. Yarah

The sad thing is I have broken everyone of God's laws. But thank God for His goodness and mercy that through Christ Jesus I am forgiven for my sins, repented and live a life for Him. I am not perfect, but I am forgiven. God Bless.

December 13, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Have you really covered them all? I suggest you try apostacy.

December 13, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
      • Yarah

LOL

December 13, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
      • Yarah

Jesus washed my sins away. They are gone and even God chooses not to remember them ever again.

December 13, 2013 at 5:22 pm |

Good for you.

December 13, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
        • Andres

Because your type of Christians never sin again? or because you have sin immunity? Your Christian righteousness is ridiculous.

December 13, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
        • kermit4jc

ONLY two options? apparently you don't know much of the theology. God forgets the sins...in that he does not bring them back to put against you..NOT cause we are special or don't sin anymore..but because JESUS paid for the sins.

December 13, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

If Jesus paid for them there is nothing more we need to do right?

Nope.

It is the old "Uncondtional love...with a few conditions" concept. Chrstian theology was was never really concerned with making sense.

December 13, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
        • kermit4jc

WRONG you still show ignorance of the theology...which is understandably why it makes NO sense to YOu whatsoever. We are part of a relationship with God.....we do things cause we love God. IN a similar way I do things for my wife...I don't do them to earn brownie points or make her love me more..I do them cause I love her.

December 13, 2013 at 7:25 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I don't believe your god exists, so i am not able to love him.

But for arguments sake lets say I am wrong. Are my sins still paid for? No. I am condemed. So your god requires something in return for the sins you claim he already paid for. The problem is you are using the definitive statement "JESUS paid for the sins". If that is actually the case my sins should be paid for....but they are not according to the "theology" you say I don't understand.

December 13, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
        • kermit4jc

heres more...IFyou accept the fact your sins are paid for..youare saved...if you dont..then you try to pay for sins yourself...you wont be saved..cause wages of sin is death......there is no way you are able to sufficiently pay a debt that great

December 13, 2013 at 10:43 pm |
        • Ponyboy Garfunkel

I don’t find the theology particularly difficult to understand. I do find it hard to believe that the theology is the work of an all knowing being.

Any person posting here can improve the ten commandments:
          Thou shalt not enslave people.
          Thou shalt treat men and women as equals.
          Thou shalt not practice tribalism.

Bing, bing, bing, I’m feelin’ supreme!

December 13, 2013 at 8:21 pm |

kermit,

If the sins are ALREADY paid for why do I have to do anything? To require anything on my part sounds to me like the were not PAID for...he just bought the debt and now want me to pony up.

December 14, 2013 at 12:05 am |
        • kermit4jc

WHAT? so a HOLY God who SAVED your nbutt from hell..and you do nothing??? YOU pretty much sound so UNGRATEFUL!!!!

December 14, 2013 at 1:58 am |
        • kermit4jc

Are YOU married by chance?

December 14, 2013 at 1:59 am |

kermit,

Did you miss the part were I said I don't believe your god exists? My point is if he paid for my sins and I just don't believe he is real why should he need me to believe in order to forgive? It is not a "gift" if something is expected in return.

December 14, 2013 at 2:30 am |
        • kermit4jc

Maybe You missed what I said..its ALL part of a relationship! If YOU want to deny God exists...go for it....YOU will reap the consequences...God does nOT force you into heaven..He allows you choice..you wanna to heaven..great....if not..go elsewhere

December 14, 2013 at 2:50 am |
        • kermit4jc

YOu HAVE to accept the gift to GEt the gift..i can sit here right now and offer you a brand new Ferrari...I have the keys to it..the condition is that youhave to take the keys from my hand and take possession of it to in order to get it..its NOT pushed on you...same with accepting Gods goft..youhave to ACCEOT it to take p0ossession of it..otherwise you don't have it...same way as you don't have a brand new Ferrari if you fail to accept the gitft

December 14, 2013 at 2:54 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Well kermit, that is not very nice of him. I can tell you I wouldn't treat my worst enemy the way you say your god is going to treat me...and not because I am his enemy....just because I see no reason to think he is real. I really don't see why such a character can be viewed as "holey". I think "vain" would be a far better description.

December 14, 2013 at 2:58 am |
        • kermit4jc

Again youre argunkg out of ignorance of it lal..take your enemies to your home to live with you for eternity

December 14, 2013 at 3:10 am |

Kermit,

In one week I will be going out and giving gifts to people who have no idea who I am in an annual tradition I engage in. They do not have to believe I am real, or know who I am and they certainly don't have to love or even like me. They get the gifts with absolutely no strings attached. If your god is so loving couldn't he do the same?

December 14, 2013 at 3:06 am |
        • kermit4jc

OMG what a terrible analogy..are you going to bring these people to live with you in your home too? Don't stop at giving the gifts...that shows your incompete awareness of what the bible teaches...take it further....bbring these people into your house...offer them hope peace and joy

December 14, 2013 at 3:09 am |
        • Fan2C

kermit,
          " Don't stop at giving the gifts...that shows your incompete awareness of what the bible teaches...take it further....bbring these people into your house...offer them hope peace and joy"

Don't you stop there either. DEMAND that they love, worship and glorify you at all times and obey your every whim, even though those whims are hidden - they must figure them out; and if they get it wrong because you refuse to be any clearer than an old ambiguous fantasy book, you'll toss them into the barbecue pit for eternity!

December 14, 2013 at 3:20 am |
        • kermit4jc

WHERE do you get DEMAND they love you.sorry..but that's nOT anywhere in the bIble and our beliefs...you are adding crap to what we teach....NOTNIHBG you say is Biblical and Christian

December 14, 2013 at 3:26 am |
        • kermit4jc

ALso you need to slow down..apparently youre nOT reading all I say..I aid people will LOVE God..he doesn't have to demand it! When someone pays for your sins would you NOT love him> or are you going to be ungrateful jerk? God doesn't deman love..He doesn't demand it from me..i ALREADY love him by CHOICe

December 14, 2013 at 3:27 am |

kermit,

If I had the means as your god does I would. I am not omnipotent. But that is not the point. I am not going to punish them for being wrong in their perceptions.

Next time you meet someone who is not a Christian ask yourself if you could punish that person for eternity for the "crime" of being wrong in their belief. But that wouldn't bother you because you are convinced immoral actions suddenly become "moral" because your god does them.

December 14, 2013 at 3:26 am |
        • kermit4jc

IT IS the point..the forgivness allow sus to live with God for eternity..thats all this forgivnmess stuff we been discussing! and sto pmaking tyerrible analogies..I am NOT Judge..it is NOT up to me to determine who goes to hell or heaven..Im NMOT the judge..GOD is and it doeS bother God..he is saddned by it..but he can NOT force them to love Him..its a choice..LOVE is a choice.....are you married./ do you know anything abou tlove?

December 14, 2013 at 3:29 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I can't love something I don't think is real.

I can forgive someone who doesn't love me or even like me. I guess that is just too much to ask from an "all loving god".

December 14, 2013 at 3:38 am |
        • kermit4jc

Then why argue for the sake of it? I mean youre arguikng as if God does exist..for the sake of argument..make up your mind....

December 14, 2013 at 3:39 am |
        • Fan2C

kermit,
          "WHERE do you get DEMAND they love you.sorry..but that's nOT anywhere in the bIble and our beliefs."

Do you really think that there's a difference between DEMAND and COMMAND?

Look at the first 3 of your 10 COMMANDMENTS for starters.

Then find:

"Jesus answered, “The most important [commandment] is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’” (Mark 12:29-30)

-and-

" If anyone comes after me, Jesus says, and is not prepared to hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters and indeed his very own self, he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14

Many more like that appear all over the place in that book of yours. This ancient Hebrew god was a hideous tyrant.

December 14, 2013 at 3:45 am |
        • kermit4jc

OUT of context dude3...are you so dense you have nho idea what love is? DO YOU ASSUME 5that once forgiven and not going to hell..Im going to be an ungrateful jerk? Apparenltyyou haven't seem to experienced true forgicvness yourselof...I LOVE GodD! He need NOT to command me to do such! YOu sir are truly arguing out of ignorance..not just from not reading the Bible..but from real life as well..I pray someday you understand and experience what real love and forgivness is..second of all..the next verse you posted was a HYPERBOLE Jesus was saying that your love for God is so much that it is AS IF you hate your brother father family etc

December 14, 2013 at 3:59 am |
        • Fan2C

kermit,

That's a very weak and disingenuous response.

I wish you well. Good night.

December 14, 2013 at 4:28 am |
        • kermit4jc

HARDLY! I LIVE it I sorry..but you are so out of touch with what we teach..or what the Bible teaches..as I said..i LIVE it...I EXPErieNCE this! you don't seem to have

December 14, 2013 at 4:44 am |
  13. Yarah

December 13, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  14. sly

I love Satan, and practice what He preaches. Satan is my friend. So is Jesus, I practice what He preaches also. I'm very open minded and don't judge people. Y'all could learn from me.

December 13, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
  15. Mari Eatmon

I know everyone has their own beliefs and I'm not here to judge them beliefs but Really? America was founded on God's principles. Weren't our forefathers God fearing men or at least that's what history books tell me. The world is already full of enough chaos with trying to take God out of the foundation of America with all this political B.S.I wouldn't be surprised if the next request would be to add "In Satan we trust" on new minted dollar bill.

December 13, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
    • Yarah

Well Said.

December 13, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
    • Randy Swain

You should read more history books.

December 13, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
    • sly

I cannot believe how prejudiced you are againest Satan. Small minded and mean. What has Satan ever done bad to you? Nothing I'll bet (nope, that was the dentist, sorry).

December 13, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
      • Yarah

It's spelled, "against" go back to school.

December 13, 2013 at 4:54 pm |
        • sly

With all due respects Yarah, I am correct, and spelled 'againest' right. I am thousands of years old Yarah, a wise old black man who has spent many centuries rollin' with your white daughters.

I speak the tongue of Angash – look it up in the Bible fool before you speak again. Our Lord says: "...and don't respect the blather of the ill-tongued white devils – they are only there to deceive..." (Adam/Eve Palm 42La01 pg2).

December 13, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
    • Adam

Try reading the Treaty of Tripoli, specifically Article 11. It states "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion . . ." This was signed by your "god fearing" forefather, John Adams and ratified by every single state at that time. This country was born out of religious freedom, not a freedom to be Christian as so many think. So how about you educate yourself and know on what principles this country was actually founded.

December 13, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
      • Sunny

I'm glad somebody pointed this out. Thank you

December 13, 2013 at 5:09 pm |

Gods rules huh.

Slavery...check

Women as inferior to men...check.

Se.xually controlling...check

God's rules are not that great. I have no problem getting rid of them.

December 13, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
  16. Louis Wayan

What is the issue with allowing others to express their religious preference? To Christians, their religion is superior to all others, and their deity is greater than the Devil. Then let THEM, God and Devil duke it out the. Allow the corresponding extraordinary powers to confront each other and allow the greater one prevail. If God is so powerful, why not allow a display of his power, without human intervention, for all mankind to see? I have never understood the faith thing: I have to either see God in action to believe in him or conclude that he does not exist. For me, its easy as that.

December 13, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • Damo

well said!

December 13, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
  17. Patrick

Where can I donate to this worthy cause. I nearly fell out of my seat laughing at teh grand old irony of this article!

December 13, 2013 at 4:35 pm |
  18. Yarah

Well if they ever put a statue of satan next to anything it wouldn't be there very long. I live in Canada and would hope someone would beat the thing up. Put it in the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. ( Just Kidding )

December 13, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • Damo

You hope they would "beat up" a statue? Really? Really?

December 13, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
      • Yarah

Yes, Really, Really, Really.

December 13, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
  19. popnvtec

wow what is the world coming to? You Satan lovers better repent, gonna be a sad sad day for you when you die. Watch the Billy Graham services, and you will soon learn the true meaning of God and God's love for you, amazing that there are people like this. Again, WOW. um um um

December 13, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
    • Yarah

Well said by friend.

December 13, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
    • sly

I don't love Satan any more than the Jesus' fella. I'm sure both are good, and likely a lot smarter than many of these bloggers.

May Satan and Jesus' learn to co-exist – that's all I ask. Both have some good values, and some not-so-good vices. That's normal. People just need to lighten up with their criticism of these 2.

After all – neither Satan nor Jesus' has ever done anything wrong to you.

December 13, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
    • asdrel

Wow, are you going to be surprised when you die and find out that the Ratafarians have been right all along.

December 13, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
  20. DH

This is absolutely SICK and WRONG. F the legalities of it. This is about right and wrong and this is just wrong to even consider this. Where are our moral values????? This really scares me that we're heading this way.

December 13, 2013 at 4:16 pm |