home
RSS
How I learned to love polygamy
The Browns of reality TV show fame practice polygamy, which they call "plural marriage," for religious reasons.
December 18th, 2013

How I learned to love polygamy

Opinion by Danielle Elizabeth Tumminio, Special to CNN

(CNN) - When I heard a federal judge struck down part of Utah’s polygamy law last week, I gave a little squeal of delight.

To be clear, I'm an Episcopal priest, not a polygamist.  But I've met the family who brought the suit, and these people changed how I think about plural marriage.

Before I met the Browns - made famous by the reality television show “Sister Wives” - I had the kind of reaction most modern-day Christians would have to their lifestyle: Polygamy hurts women. It offers girls a skewed perspective of who they can be. It happens on cultish compounds. It’s abusive.

Yet when the Browns' show debuted, I began to question some of those assumptions, and when I had the opportunity to meet them a few years ago, I questioned them further.

In getting to know Kody, Meri, Janelle, Christine and Robyn, and their children, I saw that these parents were extremely invested in raising girls and boys who were empowered to get an education, become independent thinkers and have a moral compass.

Indeed, children were so important to them not because they wanted to create more young polygamists - the Browns want their children to choose their own beliefs - but because their children were the people who would join them in heaven, and they wanted to raise a family kind enough, good enough, to achieve that goal.

The result is four parents equally invested in their children, and a gaggle of young people who are neither spoiled nor timid, entitled nor brainwashed.

The result is also four parents who strive to model what being empowered people of faith looks like in contemporary America.

Since meeting the Browns, I have become a supporter of them and their lifestyle, though I certainly can understand why others remain opposed.

So much negative publicity has been generated - and rightly so - by fundamentalist Mormon Warren Jeffs and his followers that it leaves little room in the American imagination to think that polygamy could be something different.

When I talk about the Browns with my friends and colleagues, most are opposed to my position, believing that the women could not possibly be respected, that the children could not possibly receive the attention they deserve.

MORE: Judge strikes down part of Utah polygamy law in 'Sister Wives' case

But it’s crucial to remember that, when done well, polygamy works because the participants have a different goal for marriage than monogamous couples: Most Americans believe that marriage is for the purpose of cultivating intimacy between two people, both sexual and emotional.

But for the Browns that takes a distant second to the goal of cultivating a community that together can reach heaven. It’s a different way of thinking about marriage and family, but it’s not inherently an abusive one.

Ultimately, I support the decision to loosen restrictions on polygamy because families such as the Browns exist who endeavor every day to live kind, healthy lives that are not harmful, not abusive.

I also believe there are theoretical reasons why, as a Christian, it makes sense to support healthy polygamous practices. It’s a natural extension for those Christians who support same-sex marriage on theological grounds. But even for those opposed to same-sex marriage, polygamy is documented in the Bible, thereby giving its existence warrant.

Some might say that supporting polygamy means supporting the abuse of women. But saying that it is OK for Christians to support plural marriage is not the same as saying that they should condone its abusive practices. Indeed, Christians should not, and cannot, do this.

MORE ON CNN: It's time to reconsider polygamy

It does mean, though, that there is room for Christians to support the right of consenting adults to make choices about marriage that align with their religious beliefs in a country that prides itself on religious freedom.

Through their television show, the Browns helped America learn that polygamists are just like the rest of us - they dress like us, go to public school like us, eat at Olive Garden like us - they just have more people committed to one another than the rest of our families do.

Finally, like us, they want to practice their faith. And as long as that practice is in the service of cultivating loving, healthy relationships that strive to honor God and neighbor, I believe it is possible for even nonpolygamous Christians such as myself to support their calling.

Danielle Elizabeth Tumminio is an Episcopal priest and author of  "God and Harry Potter at Yale: Teaching Faith and Fantasy Fiction in an Ivy League Classroom." The views expressed in this column belong to Tumminio.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Bigamy • Christianity • Ethics • Faith • Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints • gender issues • Opinion • Religious liberty • Sexuality • Women

soundoff (1,215 Responses)
  1. rhaj

What do I, as atheist, think of polygamy ..

Firstly, I won't be directed by some dogma, saying polygamy
    – is just plain wrong (according to the interpretation of the Bible by some Christians), or
    – is just plain right (according to the interpretation of the Bible by some other Christians).

Secondly, I think human evolve... In the very early ages, human could have been polygamous. I am from Madagascar. I read once that in 1600s, when Europeans came to the island, they described the practice of s.e.x by the indigenous people, saying that the man and woman can just have s.e.x in the open, right there, at any time, no problem.

But I think, the human ultimately understand that consanguinity leads to birth defects, and monogamous relationship should reduce that risk.

So.. in the future.. shall we get back to our "natural tendency", and having s.e.x just like that in the open when one (man and woman) want it? but to avoid consanguinity, maybe we will have a device that beeps when the risk is there ??

... I don't know... but for now, our society think a monogamous relationship is the (best) way of life, so I can live with that. Actually I do that and I am happy with it.

December 19, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
    • Alias

I really don't see why you think birth defects has any place in this discussion.

December 19, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
      • rhaj

I agree "birth defect" is a stretch.. But still, I think, ultimately, it may end up there : in the big house you got siblings who may not know their biological parents.. it can be a small world out there..

Does anybody know how the practice of s.e.x goes on in those tribes in Amazonia? Are they in a monogamous relationship?

December 20, 2013 at 8:40 am |

lol??
      Your comment is awaiting moderation.
      Think how shocked God was with David's heart, truly one out of a thousand as his son Solomon states,

Ecc 7:27-29 Behold, this have I found, saith the preacher, counting one by one, to find out the account:

Which yet my soul seeketh, but I find not: one man among a thousand have I found; but a woman among all those have I not found.

Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

December 19, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
    • Piccolo

Just curious, how does a monogamous relationship help prevent incest related birth defects? The one person you have relations with could be your sister. Bad comparison.

December 20, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
      • rhaj

OK.. agreed. Bad comparison. Sorry.

I google about s.e.x life in tribes in Amazonia. And it is ... amazing. One "husband" and three "wives" or one "wife" and three "husbands".

And they are all there in their small world. (that's why I drift so easily in the high probability of consanguinity).

December 21, 2013 at 7:12 am |
  2. Phil

I hate polygamy. But many that condemn it like to please themselves watching"or.gies", "gang ba.ngs"...

December 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
  3. Lionly Lamb

December 19, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
  4. lunchbreaker

There is an Episcopal church that allows parking for tailgaiting at the University of Alabama. Before one of the football games the priest came by to visit with us and have a mimosa, after having blessed the champagne of course. My dad told the priest, "We would be remiss if we did not thank the one who made all of this possible." The priest replied, "Thank you Nick Saban."

December 19, 2013 at 2:24 pm |
  5. Observer

Why is it that Christians CHOOSE negative Biblical quotes to trash gays and CHOOSE NOT to use the Golden Rule instead?

Why is it that Christians PRETEND that the Bible says things it doesn't in order to support their version of marriage and then IGNORE Biblical quotes about marriage they don't agree with?

Any answer other than HYPOCRISY?

December 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
    • Joey

Until I see Christians come together to try and make adultery illegal and to ban divorce in most instances I will continue to think they are just picking on gay people.

December 19, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
    • Lionly Lamb

One word says it quite plainly... "Prohibition"...

December 19, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
  6. tony

But the bible approves of impregnating handmaidens after a wife's menopause. . . .

Just think where that would get today's society, if the same anti Prop 9 folks asked for that to legaized as well

December 19, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
    • Alias

that is not illegal now.

December 19, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
      • Piccolo

Not illegal, but grounds to terminate a marriage and lose half your stuff in court.

December 20, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
  7. Akira

Congratulations to New Mexico for legalizing SS marriage.

December 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
  8. tony

When every rich man has 4 wives, then 3 out of 4 men are poor and miss out on having children.

December 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
    • tony

Now the richer 4 wive's husbands can enjoy up to 5 incomes, while the poor man has only one.

So this scheme quickly makes the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Nice "conservative" position.

December 19, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
      • Akira

I don't see many conservatives embracing polygamy.

December 19, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
        • Simon

Polygamy isn't widespread to begin with. But all those who believe in the practice and who are currently practicing it all have one very big thing in common: they're all social conservatives. Liberals eschew polygamy as they believe in equal standing between males and females.

December 21, 2013 at 11:17 am |
      • Piccolo

Then why don't more poor folks practice polygamy?

December 20, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
  9. Observer

The Bible praised Solomon as the WISEST man in the world.

Solomon had 1,000 wives and concubines. Just more HYPOCRISY.

December 19, 2013 at 1:43 pm |

Observer,
      Have you READ the book of Ecclesiastes? It's a tragic story... God gave him wisdom to rule Israel and he squandered it. His is a lesson in what NOT to do.

December 19, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
      • Observer

Lawrence of Arabia,

Yep. It's the SAME Bible that repeatedly praised Solomon as THE WISEST PERSON in the world.

December 19, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

So, did you get to the end of the book? What phrase was constantly repeated throughout the whole book? And what does the Bible itself say was the lesson in Solomn? It is all vanity... That is not praiseworthy. But he led Israel well, and for that wisdom he was praised.

December 19, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
        • Observer

Lawrence of Arabia,

Yep. The Bible never claims that Solomon, with 1000 wives and concubines, wasn't the WISEST person in the world at that time. It says the opposite.

December 19, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
        • Some Antics

I think Lawrence is missing the point here, he was given God divined wisdom and yet he still made supposedly poor choices in marrying women from other nations. The issue was not that he married so many, it was that he married them from other nations and let them worship their own Gods that had him losing favor with his God.

December 19, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

No, I get the point. The issue is over what "wisdom" is Solomon being praised for? It was for his wisdom in leading Israel. There's not one instance in scripture for him being praised for polygamy, or for letting his wives worship other gods.

December 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
        • Observer

Lawrence of Arabia

"There's not one instance in scripture for him being praised for polygamy, or for letting his wives worship other gods."

There is NOT one instance of Solomon being praised for his WISDOM and being called an idiot or sinner for having 1,000 wives and concubines.

Pick and choose and create your own version of the Bible like Thomas Jefferson did.

December 19, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
        • Charm Quark

Some Antics
          I think you've got it right. LofA's god is a petty vindicitive pr!ck, one minute it is all love, the next he trashes you. Toe the line LofA or your mythical god will squish you. Kind of funny he doesn't come after me who disses him every day.

December 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm |

Observer,
          You are a troll. I am tired of feeding you.

December 19, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
        • Observer

Lawrence of Arabia

"Observer, You are a troll. I am tired of feeding you."

Wrong again. EVERYTHING I have stated is the TRUTH.

You are just AFRAID to answer questions because you know the answers will embarrass you.

Still waiting for the quote from the Bible allowing women to divorce unfaithful husbands.

December 19, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

"Kind of funny he doesn't come after me who disses him every day."
          ---------
          2 Peter 3:3-7
          Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.” For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water, through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water. But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

December 19, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
        • Charm Quark

LofA
          HA HA HA so convincing, only little children and the delusional tremble at the words in the bible, if I am wrong may god strike me dead; no better still may god take you into his bosom, I still have things I want to do. Poor god so powerless in the 21sr century, pretty dumb god you have there LofA. Two thousand year old bible verses are BS, ancient BS at that.

December 19, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
        • igaftr

LoA

Wait a minute....he was not wise with the alleged "wisdom" god gave him....sounds like gods "wisdom" is pretty flawed.

December 19, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
  10. Badump Bump

Mamma always wanted me to marry a PolyAnna, so this here is my first wife Anna, and my second wife is also named Anna...

December 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Bigamy is having one wife too many....monogamy is the same. (Oscar Wilde)

*badump bump*

December 19, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
  11. Lawrence of Arabia

It's a shame that Tumminio thinks so little of the Bible that she has allowed a sinful society to sway her religious convictions.

Because of feminism, she is allowed to be a minister of the Bible whose very words spell out why women are not allowed to be leaders in the church.

And because of the steady moral degredation of society, she thinks that what is called sin in the Bible is merely opinion.

December 19, 2013 at 1:24 pm |
    • hawaiiguest

Yeah because polygamy was never practiced in the bible. Oh wait...nevermind.

December 19, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
      • Lawrence of Arabia

Only after sin was introduced.

December 19, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
        • hawaiiguest

What a lovely bullshit cop out. Did you forget that Solomon, who was supposedly blessed by your god had multiple wives?
          Then again, you can find a rationalization for anything brought up can't you?

December 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
      • RB

God’s intent,

Genesis 2:24
        Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

December 19, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
        • Observer

RB,

Keep reading. It then says what God has joined, let man not separate.

No divorces ever.

December 19, 2013 at 1:40 pm |

"No divorces ever."
          -------
          Actually, there are 2 conditions...
          Se.xual immorality, Matthew 19:7-9
          and
          If an unbelieving spouse abandons a believer, 1 Corinthians 7:15

December 19, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
        • Observer

Lawrence of Arabia,

Yes. Just another case of a CONTRADICTION and inconsistency in the Bible.

No divorces for women whose husbands are unfaithful. Typical hypocrisy.

December 19, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
        • RB

Mat. 19: 7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

December 19, 2013 at 1:51 pm |

Observer,
          How is that contradictory? If you're thinking that the allowance for divorce is only for a man, then you are just looking to find fault, because that's not what was being said in either of those passages.

I always say, never read just one Bible verse – read the verse in context and only then can you get the whole picture.

December 19, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
        • Observer

Lawrence of Arabia,

The Bible says a man can divorce his wife if SHE is unfaithful.

Now tell us where it says a woman can divorce her husband if HE is unfaithful.

December 19, 2013 at 1:53 pm |

Observer,
          So you're getting your feathers ruffled because he didn't use the word "spouse?" Wow... just wow...

December 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
        • Observer

Lawrence of Arabia,

Sorry you missed the request. Please tell us where it says a woman can divorce her husband if HE is unfaithful.

It says WIFE not "spouse'. Please read a Bible.

Lawrence of Arabia

December 19, 2013 at 2:00 pm |

Observer,
          You would have to change the way the entire Bible is written if you don't like the use of the word "men" or "man." Take the passage in context – it goes for either party in the marriage. The context here is all of Jesus' teachings on marriage.

December 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
        • hawaiiguest

AH the age old cry of context with no intellectual honesty. Do you really want to know th context Lawrence? In that period, women were thought of as little more than property, with no rights or voice. That's why it says only men can divorce, because that's the only opinion that mattered. It was a mysogonistic time period that you can see through that evil book of immorality that they wrote that you think so highly of.

December 19, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
        • Doc Vestibule

"And if a woman shall put away her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery"
          – Mark 10:12

In God's eyes, even if you get divorced the woman is still bound to her first husband.
          She can be chaste for the rest of her life, but she is never allowed to love another man.

December 19, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
        • hawaiiguest

@Lawrence

Is that all? Nothing more to say in defense of the indefensible crap that you so piously cling to when you think it allows to feel superior to those who don't buy into it?

December 19, 2013 at 5:24 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Secularization is not moral degradation.

December 19, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
      • Lawrence of Arabia

That is highly debatable.

December 19, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
        • Doc Vestibule

Not really.
          Countries with a high percentage of nonbelievers are among the freest, most stable, best-educated, and healthiest nations on earth. When nations are ranked according to a human-development index, which measures such factors as life expectancy, literacy rates, and educational attainment, the five highest-ranked countries - Norway, Sweden, Australia, Canada, and the Netherlands - all have high degrees of nonbelief. Of the fifty countires at the bottom of the index, all are intensly religious. The nations with the highest homicide rates tend to be more religious; those with the greatest levels of gender equality are the least religious.

The Ja/panese population is mostly atheistic and their government is expressly secular.
          Their crime rates are among the lowest in the entire world, as is their rate of unwanted pregnancy.

December 19, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
      • RB

The New World Order is evil itself. Do a little Internet Research on the NWO and their planned degradation of societal and personal morals. It’s happening already. Wake up, idle philosophers. Traditional morality has a lot of positive features. An overemphasis on freedom to do “whatever” leads to selfishness, narcissism , chaos and confusion. Eventually, people slip BELOW the level of animals. You can see this coming if you open your eyes. What is all around us IS moral degradation – not moral evolution at all. – http://www.reasonforliberty.com/ethics/moral-degradation-of-modern-society-or-moral-evolution.html

December 19, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
        • Doc Vestibule

There are examples of societal ideals based on principles other than Gods.
          One need look no further than the Declaration of Independence for such as example.
          People are inherently selfish. We instinctively do that which is least painful. Children do that which is least painful to themselves. Maturity comes when we are able to put aside our own immediate comfort and do that which is least painful for the group. Were it not for our ability to reason this out and cooperate, our species would not survive. But it takes a mighty big stick to beat the selfishness out of us! Historically, it has been a God sized stick capable to inflicting unimaginable devastation in this life and the hereafter.
          In the 21st century we have numerous examples of irreligious governments running successful societies, like Ja/pan, Switzerland and my home, Canada.
          Some of our elected officials may be religious, but we expect them to act as Humanists, not religionists.
          Sociological evolution is leading us away from religion. Not because Christianity, Islam, Hinduism etc are negative in and of themselves, but becuase they are necessarily tribalist, sectarian and thus divisive.

December 19, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • Joey

What the bible calls sin is merely opinion, unless you can prove with 100% certainty that the god described in the bible actually exists. Personally, I am not going to hold my breath waiting on the proof.

December 19, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
      • Lawrence of Arabia

If you hold your breath long enough you'll have proof.

December 19, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
        • Joey

If you hold your breath for long enough all that happens is you pass out, and then you start breathing again. As long as you don't hit your head when you pass out you will be fine.

December 19, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

You make having snarky comments very difficult when you get all technical like that. 😉

December 19, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
    • Canaan Drum

I've always wondered how women preachers teach through 1 and 2 Timothy???

December 19, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
    • Dimsdale

She's not sinning. She's just pining for the fjords.

December 19, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
    • Observer

Lawrence of Arabia,

"Because of feminism"

Nope. Because of EQUALITY for all humans. Guess that seems RADICAL to you.

December 19, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
      • Lawrence of Arabia

Equality doesn't mean what you think it means... If I scream for male equality, does that mean that I can have a baby now? Nope. Men and women are equal, but they fulfill different roles. Roles that are determined by various things such as physiology, psychology, and theology.

December 19, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

And your theology is not hers...so your theology does not play a role for her or her congragation.

December 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
        • Lawrence of Arabia

Exactly my point. Her "theology" is not based on the Bible, but her denomination claims that it should be. That's a problem.

December 19, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
        • Joey

Or the vast majority of the world for that matter.

December 19, 2013 at 1:59 pm |

Joey,
          Since when is truth based on opinion?
          Only in a post modern thinking society, but that has been shown over and over to be a false way of thinking. It's unfortunate that it is so prevelant though.

December 19, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

There are many people who would argue your theology is incorrect.....how do you settle that dispute?

December 19, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
        • Charm Quark

Cheese
          Why bother, you know LofA is always right even when he has no clue what he is talking about.

December 19, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
        • Joey

Until god comes to Earth and tells everyone what the right interpretation of the bible is all you have are differing opinions. So your views on the bible are nothing more than an opinion as it currently stands.

December 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I still want to hear the answer. This is root problem for religious disputes, both side cite the bible, both sides claim the other is wrong but neither side can demonstrate they are more theologically correct. It is a religious Mexican standoff and it should all be rejected on that basis alone.

December 19, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
        • Joey

That is pretty much where I stand. The fact that two people can read a passage in the bible and come away thinking it proves two different things is all the proof I need that the bible is not the inspired word of some god.

December 19, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
        • In Santa we trust

L of A
          "Since when is truth based on opinion?"

Since people started to believe that religions were the truth.

December 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Exactly Joey, and wouldn't a perfect god know that and be explicitly clear on these issues? After all the book says he is not the author of confusion....is there more of a confusing, contradictory book whose meaning is often not even agreed upon within members of the same sect or denomination than the bible?

December 19, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
        • Charm Quark

Cheese
          The fact is if the itinerant preacher jesus did exist he had to be pretty stupid. He could not make clear unambiguous statements but had to tell rambling stories that even his disciples had to ask, what the hell are you talking about? This has allowed the various Christian religious sects/cults to chose how to scam the sheep in so many different ways.

December 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I agree Charm, funny how Lawrence suddenly dissappeared from this thread when asked how to resolve the theological dispute.

December 19, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
    • Some Antics

"Because of feminism, she is allowed to be a minister"

So I take it you would not "allow" her to be a minister?

Ah how the bigots and racists and chauvinists love taking refuge in their holy book that excuses their inhumane learned behavior. There is no room for you in the future of humanity and you will not be missed when you and your ignorant beliefs are only studied as lessons of what not to do like ancient Roman or Egyptian mythology, your Jesus will be on par with the likes of Hercules who other contemporary writers of Jesus' time also wrote about as if he were a real person visiting the soldiers and giving them courage.

December 19, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
      • Lawrence of Arabia

Not quite Isaiah 14:13-14, but close.

December 19, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
        • Some Antics

You are the one wanting to go to some heaven Lawrence, not me.

I'm sure your heaven will be filled with all your friends, all the bigots and liars, the deceivers and false tounges, the racists and haughty chauvinists who think themselves better than half the worlds human population just because they have an outie instead of an inny. It's rather sad that there are still folks who believe as you do, but they will not be long for this world as education is rooting out this kind of ignorance and science is tearing down your wizards curtain.

December 19, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"the Bible whose very words spell out why women are not allowed to be leaders in the church."

The bible is unethical on this, and many issues. Your mistake is thinking that your opinion of the bible is ultimately authoritative.

December 19, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
  12. Piccolo

So basically this lady is judging all polygamists based on a reality show. Sounds legit. Just because one case has shown to be bad doesn't mean they all are like that.

December 19, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
    • Alias

If this was to become accepted in society, it could help bring out some of the cases where abuse is taking place.
      Unfortunately, I would not have any idea how wide spread that is or how much it would actually help.

December 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
  13. Alias

I don't know why the bible is relevant here.
    The gay marriage debate should have shown that what a religion says about marriage is irrelevant in this country.
    We should be discussing if there is a moral probem here, or if this practice will hurt anyone in any way.

December 19, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
  14. Phil

I hate polygamy. But many that condemn if like to watch "or.gies", "gang ba.ngs"...

December 19, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
    • Løki

hasser

December 19, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
  15. Løki

Norweger (und Kanadier) sprechen und schreiben lustig

December 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
    • Løki

Dies war nicht suppossed, hier zu posten

December 19, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
      • Mr. Creosote

Norwegian Blues stun easily, major.

December 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
        • Knights Who Say...

(Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

Mr. Praline: Now that's what I call a dead parrot.

Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!

Mr. Praline: STUNNED?!?

Owner: Yeah! You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Norwegian Blues stun easily, major.

Mr. Praline: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That parrot is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.

Owner: Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.

Mr. Praline: PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?

December 19, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
  16. Løki

Götterdämmerung / Ragnarok ist nah! Es wird von Fimbulvetr, der Winter Winter vorangestellt werden. Drei solcher Winter werden einander ohne Sommer dazwischen folgen. Konflikte und Fehden ausbrechen wird, auch zwischen Familien und alle Moral verschwindet. Dies ist der Beginn des Endes.

Der Wolf Skoll endlich verschlingen die Sonne, und sein Bruder Hati den Mond essen, stürzt das Midgard (Erde) in die Dunkelheit. Die Sterne werden vom Himmel verschwinden. Der Hahn krähen wird Fjalar den Riesen und dem goldenen Hahn krähen wird Gullinkambi zu den Göttern. Eine dritte Schwanz wird die Toten auferwecken.

Die Erde wird mit Erdbeben schaudern, und jede Bindung und fetter wird platzen, die Befreiung der schreckliche Wolf Fenrir. Das Meer wird oben auf, weil Jormungand, die Midgard Schlange, ist Dreh-und wand sich in Wut, als er seinen Weg in Richtung des Landes macht. Mit jedem Atemzug wird Jormungand Flecken auf der Erde und den Himmel mit seinem Gift. Die Wellen, die von der Schlange den Schwellenländern verursacht wird frei das Schiff Naglfar, und mit dem Riesen Hymir als ihren Kommandanten, die Riesen wird auf dem Schlachtfeld zu segeln. Aus dem Reich der Toten ein zweites Schiff die Segel, und das Schiff trägt die Bewohner der Hölle, mit Loki als Steuermann. Die Feuer-Riesen, von dem Riesen Surt geführt wird Muspell im Süden zu verlassen, um gegen die Götter kommen. Sirte, ein Schwert, das wie die Sonne selbst bahnt, wird die Erde versengen.

In der Zwischenzeit wird Heimdall klingt sein Horn, ruft die Söhne von Odin und die Helden auf dem Schlachtfeld. Aus allen Ecken der Welt, werden Götter, Riesen, Zwerge, Elfen und Dämonen auf die weite Ebene von Vigrid fahren ("battle Shaker"), wo die letzte Schlacht ausgefochten werden. Odin wird Fenrir im Kampf zu engagieren, und Thor wird Jormungand anzugreifen. Thor wird siegreich, aber das Gift der Schlange tötet allmählich den Gott des Donners. Sirte wird sich bemühen, den schwertlosen Freyr, der schnell zum Riesen wird erliegen. Die Einhand-Tyr wird im Kampf gegen die monströsen Hund Garm und sie werden sich gegenseitig töten. Loki und Heimdall, uralte Feinde, wird ein letztes Mal zu treffen, und weder ihre Begegnung zu überleben. Der Kampf zwischen Odin und Fenrir wird für eine lange Zeit wüten, aber schließlich wird Fenrir Odin zu ergreifen und ihn verschlingen. Odins Sohn Vidar wird auf einmal auf den Wolf springen und tötet ihn mit bloßen Händen, riss der Wolf Backen auseinander.
    Dann wird Surt Feuer in alle Richtungen schleudern. Die neun Welten wird brennen, und Freunde und Feinde gleichermaßen untergehen. Die Erde wird im Meer versinken.

Nach der Zerstörung, wird eine neue und idyllische Welt aus dem Meer entstehen und wird mit reichlich Vorräte aufgefüllt werden. Einige der Götter werden überleben, andere wiedergeboren werden. Bosheit und Elend nicht mehr existieren und Götter und Menschen werden glücklich zusammen leben. Die Nachkommen von Lif und Lifthrasir bewohnen die Erde.

December 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
    • DCJeff

Sheesh.

December 19, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
    • igaftr

A moose once bit my sister...

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the moose with the sharpened end
      of an interspace toothbrush given her by Svenge – her brother-in-law – an
      Oslo
      dentist and star of many Norwegian movies: "The Hot Hands of an Oslo
      Dentist",
      "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Molars of Horst Nordfink"...

Mynd you, moose bites Kan be pretti nasti...

December 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm |
      • Mr. Creosote

Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, isn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

December 19, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
      • Knights Who Say...

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

(The owner does not respond.)

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, Miss?

Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

Mr. Praline: (pause)I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

Owner: We're closin' for lunch.

Mr. Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

Mr. Praline: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.

Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!

December 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
      • igaftr

"My hovercraft is full of eels"

December 19, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
        • Knights Who Say...

"My nipples explode with delight!"

December 19, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
    • Alias

well my sister once bit a moose.

December 19, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
    • Piccolo

Try English. If you can read the article in English, why would you comment in another language when nobody else here speaks it?

December 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
      • Løki

Vielleicht kann ich kein Englisch lesen? Oder vielleicht kann man weniger von einem twat werden und lernen, Deutsch zu lesen?

December 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
        • Get real, Jeffy

You read English just fine, Jeffy. You're the twat, troll.

December 19, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
      • Alias

Loci isn't german.
        There are simple translators available in most word processing applications.
        aka he enjoys trolling.

December 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
        • Løki

Ich bin Deutsch

December 19, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
        • Doc Vestibule

Ein troll Deutsch ist immer noch ein troll.

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput![

December 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
        • Løki

Ich bin so viel von einem Troll wie die Idioten, die ihre christlichen Bibel Zitate veröffentlichen

December 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
        • Get real, Jeffy

True, but you're the biggest one here.

December 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
        • Doc Vestibule

Offenbarung macht Spaß zu lesen.
          Gottes Monster sind gruseliger als Eisriesen.

December 19, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
        • Løki

Frost Riesen sind "cooler"

December 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
        • Doc Vestibule

Now that there is punny!

December 19, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
  17. lol??

It's a battle of the Beast and the false prophet. Neither care about the Kingdom of God.

The gift from God, the children and who does the imparting of the conscience. Are you blind??

December 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • Piccolo

There is no battle. Only people that have different opinions on love.

December 19, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
  18. mickey1313

We need to drop anti poligamy laws, however that many parents in a household needs to make them fully exempt from any and all public assistance. Taxes shouldn't pay for cultists.

December 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
  19. satan

I love Midwest Jail. Perfect for dodo in her 3 billion dollar lawsuit. Bye bye teddy!

December 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm |
    • midwest rail

Jails in the midwest are, most likely, no different than the rest of the country.
      As to the remainder of your post, sorry, no. No lawsuit, no jail. You are, however, free to continue hallucinating in public.

December 19, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
    • DCJeff

Change up your schtick. You're boring.

December 19, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • Sol Invictus

Stultus Troglodytarum

December 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm |
      • DCJeff

Like.

December 19, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
  20. Lucifer's Evil Twin

As an aside to @Danielle, you kind of look like Lisa Loeb... I've always had a thing for her... (No stalker intent implied) 🙂

December 19, 2013 at 12:12 pm |