home
RSS
Does Phil Robertson get the Bible wrong?
Phil Robertson of A&E's "Duck Dynasty" has been suspended for his comments on homosexuality.
December 20th, 2013

Does Phil Robertson get the Bible wrong?

By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN) - The Robertson family of "Duck Dynasty" fame has rallied around its patriarch, saying his controversial comments on homosexuality are "grounded in the teachings of the Bible." But Scripture is fiercely contested ground, and some experts say Phil Robertson misinterprets a key Bible verse.

A&E, the network that broadcasts the hugely popular "Duck Dynasty" show, suspended Robertson for a now infamous interview with GQ magazine. In the article, Robertson, who became a born-again Christian in the 1970s after a prodigal youth, is asked to define "sin."

Here's what Robertson says: “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."

Robertson, 67, then paraphrases a Bible passage from the New Testament: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers - they won’t inherit the kingdom of God.”

That's a pretty close citation of 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, which is a letter from Paul, often called the father of Christianity theology, to a fledgling Christian community in Corinth, Greece.

Here's what Paul's passage says, as rendered in the New International Version, by far the most popular translation among evangelicals and conservative Christians such as Robertson:

"Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men, nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Evangelicals, who make up about a quarter of the U.S. population, tend to take that passage at face value. The Robertson family pastor, for instance, told CNN on Thursday that "the verse explains itself."

Robertson himself is no religious neophyte. He's an elder in the White's Ferry Road Church of Christ and offers spiritual counseling, charity and Bible studies to many in his hometown of West Monroe, Louisiana, the family pastor, Mike Kellett told CNN.

The "Duck Dynasty" star also preaches around the country to conservatives that flock to hear his blend of woodsy, plainspoken Christianity.

Many conservatives backed Robertson's views on Scripture and homosexuality this week, if not the "crude" way he argued his point to GQ.

My Take: The Bible really does condemn homosexuality

But other Bible experts said the Scripture Robertson cited isn't quite clear about homosexuality.

"A lot of people misread this text because it's so complicated," said O. Wesley Allen Jr., an associate professor at Lexington Theological Seminary in Kentucky.

First, scholars say, we have to look at the context surrounding Paul's letter.

The Christian leader is trying to get the quarreling Corinthians to stop taking each other to civil courts and being judgmental. "The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already," Paul says.

Things were supposed to be different after they became Christian believers, Paul continues; they were supposed to stop their sinful ways.

Then Paul lists some of their sins of the past, including greed, drinking too much, worshipping idols and sexual immorality. "That is what some of you were," Paul says. "But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

The list of sins is likely based on rumors that Paul heard about Corinth, says Warren Throckmorton, a psychology professor at Grove City College in Pennsylvania who has studied the Bible's teachings on homosexuality. Bible scholars call it a "vice list," and it appears several times in Scripture.

So what does Paul's "vice list" say about homosexuality? That's the tricky part.

The first word Paul uses is "malakoi," which means "soft" in Greek, according to Allen. By analogy, the word came to mean "effeminate," which is how the King James Version of the Bible translates it.

"In the ancient world, it would refer to a boy in a relationship with an older man," Allen said. "It was pederasty, not homosexuality as we think of it today."

The other relevant word on Paul's "vice list" is "arsenokotai," which means "male sex." It refers to the other half in the man-boy relationship, common in Greece at the time, Allen said, the older male having sex with the "soft one."

"It isn't anything to do with what we would see today in an intimate, mutual relationship between gay adults," said Allen, who is co-authoring an upcoming book on homosexuality and heterosexuality in the church.

My Take: The Bible’s surprisingly mixed messages on sexuality

Even so, scholars such as Allen acknowledge there are no Bible passages that support same-sex relationships, and at least seven that appear to condemn gay sex.

"There's no way around the fact that those passages take a negative view of homosexuality, and nowhere in the Bible is a positive view offered," Allen said. "So conservatives and liberals continue to debate."

Liberals say that some parts of the Bible offered particular truths for a specific times and places but those times and places, as well as human understanding of sexuality, have progressed dramatically.

"The Bible may be divinely inspired, but its authors were human and saw, as St. Paul puts it, through a glass darkly," said Jim Naughton, a Christian gay rights activist and communications consultant. "On the subject of homosexuality, the Bible doesn’t mean what Phil Robertson thinks it means."

Conservatives such as Robertson, on the other hand, argue that the Bible is the bedrock of their faith, unchanging and unalterable. "We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word," the Robertson family said Thursday.

For decades, the gulf between the two sides has divided denominations, churches and families. To paraphrase Lincoln, both sides read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and both invoke his aid to argue against each other. Which is why our contemporary debate over homosexuality is so fierce, and so seemingly unending.

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Christianity • Church • Culture wars • Discrimination • Ethics • evangelicals • Faith • Gay marriage • Gay rights • gender issues • Prejudice • Same-sex marriage • Sexuality

soundoff (5,719 Responses)
  1. Reality # 2

Putting the kibosh on all religion in less than ten seconds: Priceless !!!

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

• A constant cycle of reincarnation until enlightenment is reached and belief that various beings (angels?, tinkerbells? etc) exist that we, as mortals, cannot comprehend makes for a no on Sikhism.

Added details available upon written request.

e.g. Taoism

See p. 46 for additional information.

December 21, 2013 at 12:20 am |
    • petercornstalk

Except most the stuff you said is false.

December 21, 2013 at 12:26 am |
    • Fred

Did Plato and Aristotle exist? Dude, you're delusional.

December 21, 2013 at 12:30 am |
  2. bowldsbrendonbboi7581

It is not allowing me to reply to a post from Chris, so I will leave my reply here.
    Chris, you pose a good question on the impact of Christianity on our society. I'd like to start by saying this much is right. However, there has never been a prolonged period of Christianity in America until recently. Many of the forefathers were either Atheist, or had a form of their own religion. To follow the popularity in the Christian religion in this nation, just look at the periods of duress. It should come as no shock that Christianity, can be considered a fear based religion. So during the Civil War, world wars, etc etc, This became a Christian nation. However, it is the most popular of all the organized religions in the United States. To say that it had an impact on slavery here, I'm not sure it did. It was most likely due to economic reasons, Abe Lincoln was quoted himself as saying, slavery takes work away from the white man. However, the most recent spike in slavery came after Y2K

December 21, 2013 at 12:19 am |
  3. Austin

RIGHT NOW CNN HAS THE PROOF OF WHAT I SPEAK OF. GET THE EDITOR TO RETREIVE EVERY CONVERSATION I HAD WITH END RELIGION, AND YOU WILL SEE THAT I GAVE A DREAM ABOUT CHEMICAL WEAPONS, BEFORE EVERYTHING WENT DOWN IN SYRIA.

IT WAS A DREAM ABOUT A BOAT, AND A SUITCASE. AND LOOK AT THE DATE.

December 21, 2013 at 12:19 am |
    • Harold P.

What is a post about your dream going to prove? That you posted about a dream? I mean seriously, chemical weapons have been in constant use in the Middle East for decades.

And why are you yelling?

December 21, 2013 at 12:23 am |
      • Austin

Harold, when , before Syria, were they last used? before the first Iraq war? common. I also gave 12 other examples and they put me to the test, that was the 1 dream that I knew was a recent vision.

I don't have 785 examples. I am doing my best with what I know and have to offer. He is the one who allowed and sustains this supernatural experience. I don't call the shots.

December 21, 2013 at 12:27 am |
        • Gerry N. D. Pacemakers

Israel got a lot of press in 2008-2009 for their use of white phosporous in Lebanon, and the Palestinians have been using it in rocket attacks since then. Similar chemical attacks have been reported in Afghanistan, Yemen, and Libya over teh last 5 years.

December 21, 2013 at 12:42 am |
        • Austin

ok. you can look at things from that perspective. and I agree that that would be reason to see this as coincidence or even common. I still volunteer to the thirty day observance, because I have been put to the test before, and the Lord revealed His power.

December 21, 2013 at 12:54 am |
        • Gerry N. D. Pacemakers

I think it might be a good idea for you to be under observation for 30 days or more. Could you give me an example of the kind of prophesy you have already had?

December 21, 2013 at 1:10 am |
        • CNN MODERATOR

Austin, we have identified you as an individual who may be at risk. We have tracked your IP and alerted authoities in your area. Please confirm your location to allow assistance to reach you as soon as possible; dial 911 and describe your emergency.

December 21, 2013 at 1:22 am |
    • DB Cooper

There are meds for this.

December 21, 2013 at 12:54 am |
      • Austin

you really are out to kill it off aren't you ? He is risen.

December 21, 2013 at 1:04 am |
        • DB Cooper

Call a friend or something man, you need help

December 21, 2013 at 1:08 am |
    • Saraswati

"Austin
      i had a dream that there was a boat, with a terrorist attack on it. it was near israel, and there was a suitcase full of mustard gas, with a spigot on it that someone opened, and it smelled really bad. i felt like i actually could smell it. maybe this will happen. it probably wont but i feel it may have been a vision. if not it was just a dream.

February 6, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply"

December 21, 2013 at 6:34 am |
  4. jarhead333

I'm just curious. What do the supporters of gay marriage think about polygamy? Should that be legal?

December 21, 2013 at 12:18 am |
    • DB Cooper

I don't understand what difference it makes to you, what other people do to be happy, as long as it doesn't hurt anybody.

Mind your own business

December 21, 2013 at 12:55 am |
      • jarhead333

Pretty sure I did not state what I believe. I think that is your issue. I just asked a question.

December 21, 2013 at 1:18 am |
    • Gerry N. D. Pacemakers

Yeah, sure. As long as everyone consents. It has a lot of pitfalls and I would strongly advise my children not to do it, but honestly, what other people do with their lives is fine as long as no one gets hurt. People are free to do many stupid things, so why not?

December 21, 2013 at 1:14 am |
      • jarhead333

Fair enough. I was just curious as to how other people felt about that.

December 21, 2013 at 1:22 am |
  5. Austin

HotAirAce, Bob,

"Austin, we've been down this road before. You claim to have evidence then you refuse to produce the evidence, then you run away. So cut to the chase and save us all some time – produce your evidence now or run away now"

here is the situation my friends. you will have to be patient if you want me to go through this again. and give you some new examples of supernatural gifts. the reason being, my ip address is banned from cnn because I made 1 wrong comment about reza aslan. so I don't have the convenience of a home computer. I happen to be at a hotel and I shared the computer. I went and watched gold rush .

now the proof that you are looking for , I can give you if you put me in a closed environment and give me 30 days, observing the way this works. I have already given you countless examples. and, by the grace of God, He can do exactly what I am talking about. so as I said before, have James Randy foundation test for miracles, show some interest in what I am saying and I will go there.

December 21, 2013 at 12:14 am |
  6. Austin

HotAirAce, Bob,

now the proof that you are looking for , I can give you if you put me in a closed environment and give me 30 days, observing the way this works. I have already given you countless examples. and He could , by the grace of God, do exactly what I am talking about. so as I said before, have James Randy show some interest in what I am saying and I will go there.

December 21, 2013 at 12:11 am |
    • Gerry N. D. Pacemakers

Uh, put you in a closed environment for thirty days and observe? Seriously? Out of curiousity, what do you think we would see?

December 21, 2013 at 12:16 am |
      • Austin

I will write my dreams down and prove to you all the there is a supernatural gift of prophecy and visions. not because of my greatness, but the power of God.

December 21, 2013 at 12:23 am |
        • Gerry N. D. Pacemakers

Can you give us some examples of these prophecies you have had? And why would you need to be in a closed environment for 30 days?

December 21, 2013 at 12:27 am |
        • DB Cooper

Get some good health care, maybe meds

December 21, 2013 at 12:59 am |
      • Austin

spiritual gift of prophecy and visions.

He is risen.

December 21, 2013 at 12:24 am |
        • DB Cooper

Meds

December 21, 2013 at 1:10 am |
      • Austin

supernatural gift of dream/vision

"'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

December 21, 2013 at 12:31 am |
        • Gerry N. D. Pacemakers

Are you saying you believe that God is giving you prophet visions or something?

December 21, 2013 at 12:44 am |
  7. The Clergy Project

John Compere, PhD

"I was a fifth-generation Baptist minister, ordained at age 18, while in college. I served until age 32 when I left the ministry and the church to get a PhD in Clinical Psychology. I had already completed a three-year seminary degree following college, which only increased my doubts about the authenticity of the theology I had learned from childhood. Leaving the ministry was not an easy decision to make since all my friends and family were in the church. But it was a decision I ultimately HAD to make if I didn't want to risk being publicly phony and privately cynical. I became an agnostic, then an atheist, NOT because I hadn't read the Bible, but because I had! An atheist, by the way, is simply someone who does not believe in a supernatural being. I am convinced that the evidence supports that view. All religion suffers from being bound by unchanging myth.

As a psychologist, I continued to try to help people find meaning in their lives. I taught at the university and medical school, had a private clinical practice, and then became a professional speaker on "Psychology You Can USE!" I seriously doubt that life has any ultimate meaning, but I'm convinced that we can make our own meaning, and I have spent the last 45 years since I left the ministry trying to help people do just that. Success is not the goal - all therapists have dealt with many a successful person who was miserable - life satisfaction is the goal.

When I made my career change, I was essentially on my own. I wish something like The Clergy Project had been around then. I could surely have used it. The goal of this project is not to try to convince believing clergy to give up their faith. Rather, it is to help those in the clergy who, for their own individual reasons, are no longer able to believe, to try to figure out how to make a huge sea-change in their lives. It may well be the absolutely most challenging career change anyone can make. We simply want to help make it easier."

December 21, 2013 at 12:06 am |
    • Austin

I am the opposite of you. I vandalized some fundamental churches and then I received a supernatural call to faith and the call to tell the truth about the Living Word.

John 15:26 ►

Parallel Verses

New International Version
      "When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father–the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father–he will testify about me.

Acts 2:17 ►

Parallel Verses

December 21, 2013 at 12:17 am |
      • Roger that

"then I received a supernatural call to faith"

You call it supernatural , but most people would call that rehabilitation via the department of corrections.

December 21, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
    • Fred

Explain to me then how Gen. 12:1-3 predicted a World Wide Blessing coming from one of Abraham's descendants.....and then it coming true through Christ's Church? Today, all Nations are Blessed through the Holy Mass. Also, Gen. 22 makes it more clear about the World Wide blessing. And in Chapter 23 it shows Isaac climbing the hill with wood on his back for Sacrifice just like Jesus climbing the hill with wood on his back for Sacrifice. Gen. 23 and Matthew 28 are linked.....then History affirms it clear up to today.

December 21, 2013 at 12:18 am |
      • Austin

are you talking to me? if so I am reading your post .

December 21, 2013 at 12:29 am |
        • Fred

No, I'm talking to the guy who brags about being a PHD

December 21, 2013 at 12:32 am |
      • Austin

4Surely he took up our pain

and bore our suffering,

yet we considered him punished by God,

stricken by him, and afflicted.

5But he was pierced for our transgressions,

he was crushed for our iniquities;

the punishment that brought us peace was on him,

and by his wounds we are healed.

6We all, like sheep, have gone astray,

each of us has turned to our own way;

and the Lord has laid on him

the iniquity of us all.

700 BC messianic prophecy

December 21, 2013 at 12:37 am |
        • Kinda left out a few parts

"his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness" – that isn't Jesus.

"He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death" – that isn't Jesus either.

No mention of resurrection, either.

December 21, 2013 at 1:28 am |
      • Austin

Isaiah 53 messianic prophecy 700 BC

December 21, 2013 at 12:40 am |
  8. hearties

The bible is the most incredible book I have ever read in my entire lifetime. There is no other book that even comes close to it for shear strength of content, and timelessness. God's words blaze right through time, far beyond all other words out there, no one coming close to the almighty in anything they've said in comparison. And when God sent his only begontten son Jesus to die for our sins, that shows his love for those that believe him, repent and do the will of God. Only one book does this, I understand.

December 20, 2013 at 11:46 pm |
    • Yeah right

Actually, The Iliad and The Oddyssey beat it on timelessness, and are way better written.

December 20, 2013 at 11:58 pm |
      • jarhead333

There are copies of the gospel that have been found that are more closely related then any copy of the Iliad.

December 21, 2013 at 12:07 am |
        • Yeah right

You lost me there. Closely related? What are you talking about?

December 21, 2013 at 12:19 am |
        • jarhead333

Copies of the gospel have been dated closer to the original, then any copy of the Iliad.

December 21, 2013 at 12:23 am |
        • Yeah right

What has that got to do with what I said? The Iliad and Odyssey are still older and much better written.

December 21, 2013 at 12:47 am |
    • Bull Chit

Dear Hearties , you used the correct term incredible: CAN'T BE BELIEVED IN to describe the bible.

December 21, 2013 at 12:00 am |
      • hearties is right

The Bible is incredible. Totally lacking in credibility. Not credible. Not able to be believed.

Merriam-Webster synonyms for "incredible": implausible, unbelievable, uncompelling, unconvincing.

December 21, 2013 at 12:05 am |
    • Saraswati

More interesting than the Quran, less interesting than the Mahabharata. But really the Harry Potter books are more fun and have better plots than any of them.

December 21, 2013 at 12:04 am |
      • Verily

As Mark Twain said of the Book of Mormon, they are all chloroform in print.

December 21, 2013 at 12:13 am |
  9. Bill Graham

The Bible is a product of the authors who wrote it, their biases, their cultural priorities and their religious preferences. Moreover, it reflects values that are no longer espoused by our society as a whole. We no longer endorse slavery. The New Testament not only gave it a nod, it told slaves how to behave toward their masters in Colossians 3:22 and Ephesians 6:5-9.

The bible endorsed practices we would find appalling and inhumane today: genocide, the stoning of people for adultery, death sentences for blasphemy and much more. Finally, the Bible banned practices we take for granted today: eating pork, working on the Sabbath, mixing garments, and tattooing.

If we have evolved away from a variety of cherry-picked practices, what is to say we should keep any commandment in the Bible? It is largely obsolete. Sure, there are some nice moral concepts to follow, but who is to say which of them are binding today? Moreover, I think it's funny that people expect us to obey the Bible when they regularly violate its precepts. It's amusing as hell.

You say you know who God is? Really? Isn't "God" from the German word "Gott"? Why, yes it is. Do you know what Gott meant before Christians sanctified it? It meant a deity, any deity, or an idol. It had no particular relevance to the god of the Bible. That god's name was YHWH sometimes. Other times, he was elohim, which is plural for Mighty One (mighty ones). Still other times, he was Adonai or el Shaddai. In fact, the god of the Hebrew canon was called several more names. Still think you know your god? Well let me give it to you straight. If your theology is sound, you realize that the god of the Bible is unknowable. You delude yourself by saying you know "God." Which god do you know?

The Bible is not the work of god. It is the fallible work of several authors over hundreds of years. It is flawed and dated. It's a fascinating book, but it is also largely irrelevant to our lives. Not only do we pick what we want and practice it inconsistently, but we don't even believe it half the time. That goes for everyone. Christians do not practice their faith. They put on a show..

December 20, 2013 at 11:24 pm |
    • Extra Medium

Thank you Mr. Billy Graham for the wise, truthful words.

December 20, 2013 at 11:37 pm |
    • Kev

Where is it in the Bible where God gave the command to go out and enslave someone?

December 20, 2013 at 11:56 pm |
      • Try this

Exodus 21:1-11 gives God's protocol for how to do it right, including my favorite, the proper protocol for selling your daughter into slavery. So he's real good with it.

December 21, 2013 at 12:01 am |
        • Kev

Where does it say that God actually commanded to enslave, not just give protocols to those who are going to get involves with it anyway?

December 21, 2013 at 12:14 am |
        • Try this

So God gives explicit instructions on how to sell your daughter into slavery, but just ignores the obvious moral message of "don't do it"? Even though his book is full of "don't do it"?

December 21, 2013 at 1:04 am |
        • Kev

It's not the only time it happened.

December 21, 2013 at 1:28 am |
        • Kev

The Lord also told ancient Israel that it was better to not have a king, but when the Israelites decided to have a king anyway, then the Lord permitted it with certain guidelines established.

December 21, 2013 at 1:34 am |
      • bowldsbrendonbboi7581

While the bible doesn't explicitly state that slavery is evil, I think it should fall under the whole do unto others thing.

December 21, 2013 at 12:07 am |
        • Observer

bowldsbrendonbboi7581,

It should. It DOESN'T.

December 21, 2013 at 12:12 am |
        • Kev

You mean like in Exodus 21 telling to treat slaves with respect?

December 21, 2013 at 12:19 am |
        • bowldsbrendonbboi7581

Somewhat, taken the context into consideration. If you are in a position to either have a slave, and them be set free if you choose to not own one, how would you interpret "do unto others", or if you have a slave and if you don't they will only be owned by someone who is cruel and doesn't treat them as equals than your passage would be accurate.
          Or, you could look at the slave system that was in place long ago, where people where enslaved by their debts. In this case, a slave, is only a slave as they work off their debt, in other words, we may look at them as a modern employee.
          Remember, the central theme is love, no matter how you may interpret the meanings behind each instance.

December 21, 2013 at 12:38 am |
    • RB

........and this concludes our bible study tonight brought to you by someone who doesn't believe in God or that the bible is his word.

December 21, 2013 at 12:03 am |
      • redzoa

Are you suggesting proper analysis can only come from one who accepts the infallibility premises first? Sounds like you're advocating an abdication of any personal responsibility to critically and thoughtfully examine the text.

December 21, 2013 at 12:16 am |
      • DB Cooper

It was better than most other stuff I've read on here. Maybe check yourself

December 21, 2013 at 1:02 am |
    • Epicurian

Thankfully an intelligent, reasoned response to the lunacy of religions of any stripe.

December 21, 2013 at 12:06 am |
  10. Angelic Moron

Without the swampy background, I thought I was seeing Mr. bin Ladin ... reading the comments in GQ ... yup it is Mr. bin Ladin.

December 20, 2013 at 11:21 pm |
  11. hearties

"But Scripture is fiercely contested ground"

It's actually pretty straight forward, God doesn't want sin. No matter how you package up sin, God doesn't want it. That's why he sent Jesus, to die for our sins, to pay for them, if you believe him, repent of your sins, and do the will of God. Sinning more, is not the will of God. Telling people it's OK to sin is not the will of God. Repackaging sin is not the will of God. Sin is just not wanted by God. Get over sin and get with Jesus, before it's over.

December 20, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
    • sam

There are over 30k denominations of christianity.

Not one of you is clear.

Your bible contradicts itself, and every one of you twists it to your individual whim.

Get a better delusion.

December 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm |
    • haha what??

Sin is made up nonsense

December 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
    • I question the bible

They have many times. It's just been rewritten a million times to try to counter act everyone questioning the book since it has many mistakes. The people that wrote it were peasants what did you expect? A P.H.D. college grad who auto-corrected the spelling and structured it perfectly? Come on don't play me for a fool. Jesus may have been alive and possibly all the other great men in the book but what is written in there is a hoax. Tell they me that every word is God breathed and inspired yet they keep telling me to not follow the old testament. Quit making sermons about what not to follow? Get real buddy. The end of the world? There's already people out in orbit all the time unless the sun explodes. Also, there's going to be a space station on Mars with people. We will live on. TRUTH BE HEARD.

December 20, 2013 at 11:18 pm |
    • Epicurian

But it was OK for God o sin by supporting stonings, killings and genocide??? Get a grip!!

December 21, 2013 at 12:07 am |
  12. Darwin Frick

People have been trying to disprove the BIBle for thousands of years. And guess what ? No one has ever been able to do it.
    Today the sources denying it are different, but really the same. We have Psychologists posing as scientists, but they aren't.
    We have historians, which are not scientists. Then there are Archeologists which mostly affirm the historical relevance of scripture, and even use it to locate hidden places. You have Astronomers who mostly acknowledge God, and Mathematicians who know evolution is impossible. Then you have a million other people who all have their own little opinion usually based on their own petty thoughts, none of which matter a whole lot in the end. What is always left at the end of the day is GOD and His Word. It has already stood all the tests that time can offer. All other opinions are doomed to changes and failure.

December 20, 2013 at 10:49 pm |
    • BUD

Most people in this world are not Christians.

December 20, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
    • Roger that

Funny.

December 20, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
    • sam

Comedians. Comedians everywhere.

December 20, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
    • Tony Nguyen

December 20, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
    • Saraswati

7.5% of leading astronomers believed in God in the NAS survey. You can make stuff up all day long but it's always going to be just you making stuff up. Consider trying the real world.

December 20, 2013 at 11:23 pm |
    • Darwin Frick is an idiot

"We have Psychologists posing as scientists, but they aren't." Actually, they are.

"We have historians, which are not scientists." Of course not. History is a different field of academia.

"Then there are Archeologists which mostly affirm the historical relevance of scripture." No, they only know that the places named in the Bible existed. They have not proven any historicity to the events claimed in the Bible, only that the places existed. That's like saying James Bond exists because so many of the cities in his books and movies are real.

You have Astronomers who mostly acknowledge God." Totally false, so much so that you are either delusional or a liar.

" . . . and Mathematicians who know evolution is impossible." Oh that's a whopper! I doubt you could find even 1% of the Mathematical community who would say that.

You are willing to say massively untrue things. Your honesty and integrity is shot.

December 20, 2013 at 11:55 pm |
  13. Alien

First of all the Scripture He was paraphrasing is not iinI Corinthians. Try Romans Chapter 1 verses 18 -32. In Particular 26. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affectios ; for even the women dtd change the natural use ibto that which is against nature. 2u Likewise also the mrn leaving the natural use of the woman, burned on thier lust one toward another,,,

December 20, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
    • Observer

Romans (12:20) also says “If your enemies are hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink.”

So why should anyone care what Romans says?

December 20, 2013 at 11:22 pm |
  14. Chris

Constanine using the pagan festivals to convert pagans still does not deny the focus of my original post. The holidays you see on your calander still have Christian undertones.

December 20, 2013 at 10:43 pm |
    • sam

Chris, you're wrong. Wanting it to be true does not make it so. Go away, you're on the verge of creeping people out with the delusions.

December 20, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
  15. raytindell

CNN....telling us what to do and think...the final authority on everything biblical !!!

December 20, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
    • sam

raytindell...posting multiple times because he can't sustain a thought for long.

December 20, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
  16. raytindell

CNN....the final say in bible authority

December 20, 2013 at 10:34 pm |
    • Roger that

You're right, a duck hunter gives a more accurate interpretation.

December 20, 2013 at 11:41 pm |
  17. meglon

Like most 'christians" in the US, they pick and choose verses that make their version of God hate the same things they hate. Gandhi was right: "....they are so unlike your Christ."

December 20, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
    • sam

I have a feeling Jesus would disown these guys in a heartbeat.

December 20, 2013 at 11:01 pm |
  18. sam

"The Duck Dynasty guy who likened homosexuality to bestiality makes a living helping people trick ducks into thinking they want to fuck them."

- The Tweet of God, from Twitter

December 20, 2013 at 10:24 pm |
    • Jep

Exactly.

December 20, 2013 at 11:06 pm |
  19. Chris

Welll actually, there were... In durring the times of Slavery, a bunch of Christians stood up against it, and in fact through out one in fact being William Willburforce. Through out history the religious have been standing up for the oppressed. Social Work and charity organizations in the United States were started by Christians.. A pioneer of it was Jane Adams and she was a quaker. today for speak up against gay basking, that Pope has actively spoken against gay bashing. There are good christians standing up, you and the media refuses to speak about them. Christians and other religious are doing things to serve the oppressed in more ways than you can imagine, or contribute. SO before attacking all christians please do your research

-chris , a gay catholic

December 20, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
    • sam

Chris, believe whatever you like. God was apparently never on the side of these wonderful upstanding people fighting for equality, because they failed at every turn. He didn't do much to help them. You are already part or a religion that thinks very little of you. I'm not partial to giving much credence to your skills in logic or self preservation.

December 20, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
  20. rollthedice

@Sam,are we talking about God and christian values,are thousands of people chatting in forums all over the country right now. If this wouldnt have happened would we be talking right now.Now i know your gonna come back with some snarky comments,but its ok,this is a seed getting planted.
    God Bless you brother.

December 20, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
    • sam

And a lot of people – more than ever in this country's history – are mocking the foolishness, backwards thinking your 'news' has been spreading.

Learn to use the reply function. And stuff your passive aggressive 'brother' crap.

December 20, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69
About this blog