home
RSS
December 23rd, 2013

A Christmas apology, and the seeds of hope

Opinion by Rachel Held Evans, Special to CNN

(CNN) - This week we celebrate Christmas, and as a Christian, I want to say I’m sorry.

I’m sorry that this season has become about fights over manger scenes on public property, about complaining when clerks say, “Happy Holidays,” instead of “Merry Christmas,” about rampant commercialism and faux persecution.

I’m sorry that Christians in the United States can be so entitled when we’ve long enjoyed majority status, when we can be so blind to our own privilege.

It is ironic, really, because in the church calendar, the seasons of Advent and Christmas call us to reflect upon and celebrate what Christians believe was the most radical act of humility of all time - the incarnation.

The doctrine of the incarnation holds that the God of the universe, in his love for humanity, emptied himself of his power and became human, like us, in the form of Jesus.

The word incarnation literally means “to make into flesh” and refers to the apostle John’s teaching that “(t)he Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us” (John 1:14).

“No one has ever seen God,” John explains, but Jesus “has made him known.”

In other words, if you want to know what God is like, look at Jesus -

Jesus, who was born as an oppressed minority in an occupied land,

Jesus who was an immigrant,

Jesus, who surrounded himself with the poor, the sick, the marginalized and the “untouchables,”

Jesus who was criticized by the religious for hanging out with sinners,

Jesus who treated women with dignity and respect,

Jesus who taught his disciples to love their enemies, to give without expecting anything in return, to overcome evil with love,

Jesus who suffered,

Jesus who wept,

Jesus who - while hanging on a Roman cross - said, “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

Quaker theologian Elton Trueblood put it this way: “The historic Christian doctrine of the divinity of Christ does not simply mean that Jesus is like God. It is far more radical than that. It means that God is like Jesus.”

It means that God suffers, God forgives, God fellowships with the poor, God cares for the sick, God loves His enemies.

Even as a lifelong Christian, I struggle with doubts about God. I struggle to make sense of the violence in the world, the violence in the Bible, the violence in my own heart. I don’t have all the answers.

But even when there’s nothing left to my faith but a little seed of hope, that hope is in the incarnation, in the radical teaching that God loved us enough to become like us, and that when God wanted to show us what he was like, God showed us Jesus.

Rachel Held Evans is the author of "A Year of Biblical Womanhood" and "Evolving in Monkey Town." Evans blogs at rachelheldevans.com, and the views expressed in this column belong to her.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Christianity • Christmas • Faith • Holidays • Opinion

soundoff (2,872 Responses)
  1. John R.

I knew "A Christian's Christmas apology" would be written by Rachel Held Evans before I even clicked on it. Rachel's prayer: "Thank you, Lord, that I am not like other Christians. Especially the yucky, American, evangelical ones."

December 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • Johan

I think Proverbs 9:13 aptly sums up the author: "A foolish woman is clamorous, she is simple and knows nothing" .....

December 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
      • sburns54

I think Matthew 7:1-3 aptly sums up Johan: "Judge not, that ye be not judged..."
        You can find a quote to support ANYTHING you want in the Bible.

December 24, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
    • Yep

The yucky, American, evangelical ones that led my Christian son to suicide for being gay. I'm glad I'm not like them.

December 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
      • Justice

Unbelievable that you would use the death of your son to harbor such hatred. I feel it... now, let it go.

December 24, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
  2. Eck

What a disgusting pandoring article

December 24, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • sburns54

It's spelled "pandering". You'll probably want to use it again, spell it correctly.

December 24, 2013 at 3:19 pm |
  3. James

That's exactly why as an atheist I oppose everything related to Christmas, because it is a Christian holiday. The ugly layers of culture heaped on it by Americans makes it worse too.

December 24, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • Alex

You sound like a happy fellow!

December 24, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
    • Phil Robertson

Have some eggnog and relax... by the way, Merry Christmas 😉

December 24, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
    • Johan

December 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
      • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

It sums up the author of Proverbs quite well....as a misogynist

December 24, 2013 at 3:35 pm |

I hope you stand for your atheism and work on Christmas. Don't be a hypocrite to your ideals.

December 24, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
      • In Santa we trust

It's a Federal holiday – campaign to change that if you expect people to work on christmas.

December 24, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
    • sburns54

Jeez, you don't have to wear a hair shirt! I'm an atheist, too, and I love Christmas.
      There are plenty of non-christian trappings- it really is a secular holiday anymore, what with Santa and Rudolph and Frosty and Hermie and the Abominable Snowman, etc. Lots of pagan stuff- the Xmas tree. holly and mistletoe,it IS the solstice celebration- and who can hate the colored lights? Just like Diwali!
      You can pretty much ignore the religious aspect, as so many of those that claim to be believers do- chasing their god mamon at the malls, making their once-a-year appearance in church, and then back to life as normal, maybe getting loaded and chasing the secretary at the Xmas party...
      There's no religious reason to not enjoy the season!

December 24, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
  4. Underwaterops

No apologies, here. You see, I'm not one of those who feel that Christians are under attack, so I have made no complaints. Nor do I feel responsible for, or complicit with, those "Christians-in-name-only" (CINOS) who are offended that they aren't free to push Christianity in the work place, the public schools, and anywhere else they can get a captive audience.
    I belong to that group that is so confident in my own behavior that I feel I can lead by example. I don't need the law to make people listen, or force them to hear. I'm happy with the crèche being limited to the lawns of the faithful and the churches. And prayers can be said silently at any time, the law does not stop that.
    There are some who owe an apology. I am not one. I don't use God or Christ as an excuse for bigotry, apartheid, hatred, or the convenient application of wedge issues that provide political power for those who can successfully distort Christianity for the sake of political wins.

December 24, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
    • sburns54

Nice sentiments- would that there were more like you. But don't let any of the "real" christians or Bill O'Reilly hear you, they'll run you out of their town.

December 24, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
    • Tesla

Bravo!!! Someone who is secure enough in his/her faith to understand one's faith should be about how one lives their life. Far too many people wield their faith as a weapon, fighting the rest of the world out of fear of the rest of mankind and their own insecurities about an ever changing, ever evolving world. Thank you!

December 24, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
  5. Alex

Christians are already too passive in America today. No need to apologize. Imagine if people started using "Muhammed" as a curse word. Or if Jews in Israel were forbidden to put up the Menorah. Heck – Even if we requested to take down the Menorah on the White House lawn, Jews would be in an uproar. Christians are blasted because they don't riot. They already put up with too much.

December 24, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
    • Ray

Look, until just ONE Christian is denied the right to observe Christmas, I don't recognize any kind of persecution. Oh so a business decides that they're not using the word Christmas? Too bad, you're not on their board of directors nor do you have any say over their corporate policies. A town votes no on a public display? Still not persecution.

The problem is that so many Christians think that everybody else has to observe their religious holiday. If a business or town don't want to observe Christmas, that's not an attack on your personal religious freedom.

December 24, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

"Christians are already too passive in America today."

There is a constant barrage of christianity being pushed onto society as a whole: attempts to have religious beliefs taught as science, christian prayers at public meetings, christian texts on public buildings, christian beliefs influencing marriage and birth control, the persecution complex when someone acknowledges that the world does not consist of only christians, chiming bells to call the flock, etc.

December 24, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
    • Mopper

Don't worry no one will ever mention Muhammed or Buddha when they take the Lord's name in vain. When an atheist or other non-Christian swears, they are strangely compelled to use that Name which is above all others..

December 24, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
  6. alyxlili4health

Thank you Rachel – beautiful reminder of what Christmas is about. Remembering how close God is to us and how he gave his only son to experience that closeness. As a Christian, I extend my love to people of all religions – even people who propagate hatred toward me or my faith. That is how Jesus lived and that is his nature. God saves, even when men are bent on destroying. There is nothing on this earth that can prevail against the Love of God or the gates of heaven. To live in his peace doesn't mean we don't suffer, but it does make us impervious to the hatred and blasphemy spewed in the world today. Because we believe the King of all Nations, Jesus Christ, is King of Heaven and earth, and that all material things will pass away, and that there is another realm where only love exists. Welcome baby Jesus, God-King, so many of us love you. Please see our faith and suffering and let it be an atonement for those who chose hate.

December 24, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
  7. Roger

One thing's for darn sure: Jesus was no Republican.

December 24, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
    • Mopper

Nor a Socialist...The poor will always be with you

December 24, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
  8. tc

Well written Rachel and I agree with your sentiments. Merry Christmas!

December 24, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
  9. July

All the prayers and meditations in the world will not help me unless they are accompanied by action.

Practicing the principles in all my affairs show me the care that God takes in all parts of my life.

God appears in my world when I move aside, and allow Him to step into it.

December 24, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
    • igaftr

"All the prayers and meditations in the world will not help me "
      That much is true.

If you pray and meditate and then take some action, you will have the same result as if you had only taken the action, except for the time you lost with the praying and meditating.

December 24, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
      • July

I disagree. But thanks for chiming in with your personal opinion.

December 24, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
        • Jimmy Joe Jim Bob

Apparently you don't recognize fact when you see it. Not surprising. You spend your life cowering in fear.

December 24, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
        • igaftr

you disagree, but don't say in what way.

What more is accomplished by action and prayer, than by action alone?
          What tangeable results are there?

December 24, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
        • July

I'm not in fear.
          Taking time for personal reflection is important. Praying and meditating quiets the mind. I don't see any evidence that you can show me a better way to live. You seem to be trolling the blog and spreading your sickness all over the place.
          Maybe you should stop and meditate on something good?

December 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
  10. mzh

The part of the story of Jesus (pbuh) in The Quran which was revealed to Muhammad (pbuh) for the mankind after around six hundred years of Jesus' leaveing from this earth:

19:16 – And mention, [O Muhammad], in the Book [the story of] Mary, when she withdrew from her family to a place toward the east.

19:17 – And she took, in seclusion from them, a screen. Then We sent to her Our Angel, and he represented himself to her as a well-proportioned man.

19:18 – She said, "Indeed, I seek refuge in the Most Merciful from you, [so leave me], if you should be fearing of Allah ."

19:19 – He said, "I am only the messenger of your Lord to give you [news of] a pure boy."

19:20 – She said, "How can I have a boy while no man has touched me and I have not been unchaste?"

19:21 – He said, "Thus [it will be]; your Lord says, 'It is easy for Me, and We will make him a sign to the people and a mercy from Us. And it is a matter [already] decreed.' "

19:22 – So she conceived him, and she withdrew with him to a remote place.

19:23 – And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm tree. She said, "Oh, I wish I had died before this and was in oblivion, forgotten."

19:24 – But he called her from below her, "Do not grieve; your Lord has provided beneath you a stream.

19:25 – And shake toward you the trunk of the palm tree; it will drop upon you ripe, fresh dates.

19:26 – So eat and drink and be contented. And if you see from among humanity anyone, say, 'Indeed, I have vowed to the Most Merciful abstention, so I will not speak today to [any] man.' "

19:27 – Then she brought him to her people, carrying him. They said, "O Mary, you have certainly done a thing unprecedented.

19:28 – O sister of Aaron, your father was not a man of evil, nor was your mother unchaste.

19:29 – So she pointed to him. They said, "How can we speak to one who is in the cradle a child?"

19:30 – [Jesus] said, "Indeed, I am the servant of Allah . He has given me the Scripture and made me a prophet.

19:31 – And He has made me blessed wherever I am and has enjoined upon me prayer and zakah as long as I remain alive

19:32 – And [made me] dutiful to my mother, and He has not made me a wretched tyrant.

19:33 – And peace is on me the day I was born and the day I will die and the day I am raised alive."

19:34 – That is Jesus, the son of Mary – the word of truth about which they are in dispute.

19:35 – It is not [befitting] for Allah to take a son; exalted is He! When He decrees an affair, He only says to it, "Be," and it is.

19:36 – [Jesus said], "And indeed, Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him. That is a straight path."

19:37 – Then the factions differed [concerning Jesus] from among them, so woe to those who disbelieved – from the scene of a tremendous Day.

19:38 – How [clearly] they will hear and see the Day they come to Us, but the wrongdoers today are in clear error.

19:39 – And warn them, [O Muhammad], of the Day of Regret, when the matter will be concluded; and [yet], they are in [a state of] heedlessness, and they do not believe.

19:40 – Indeed, it is We who will inherit the earth and whoever is on it, and to Us they will be returned.

It was very obvious that Jesus (pbuh) was not born in winter as dates grows only in summer time. Jesus was son of virgin Marry and he was born without a father, his creation was like the creation of Adam as Adam was created from no parents and Jesus was created from only a mother.

During his time there were two groups... one believed in him as he was and the other went to extreme by making him the son of God and the followers of the second one we see today around the glob... but I have came to know that still there are people in Christianity that they do not believe Jeusus as son of God but they believe in as son of virgin Marry...

O mankind, fear your Lord, who created you from one soul and created from it its mate and dispersed from both of them many men and women. and fear Allah through Whom you demand your mutual (rights), and (do not cut the relations of) the wombs (kinship). Surely, Allah is Ever an All-Watcher over you. – 4:1

Peace!!!

December 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
    • Reality # 2

http://www.muslimaccess.com/quraan/arabic/005.asp et al.

o "Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends." (Surah 5:51)
      o
      "Believers, when you encounter the infidels on the march, do not turn your backs to them in flight. If anyone on that day turns his back to them, except it be for tactical reasons...he shall incur the wrath of God and Hell shall be his home..." (Surah 8:12-)

"Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme." (Surah 8:36-)

"...make war on the leaders of unbelief...Make war on them: God will chastise them at your hands and humble them. He will grant you victory over them..." (Surah 9:12-)

"Fight against such as those to whom the Scriptures were given [Jews and Christians]...until they pay tribute out of hand and are utterly subdued." (Surah 9:29-)

"It is He who has sent forth His apostle with guidance and the true Faith [Islam] to make it triumphant over all religions, however much the idolaters [non-Muslims] may dislike it." (Surah 9:31-)

"If you do not fight, He will punish you sternly, and replace you by other men." (Surah 9:37-)

"Prophet make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their home." (Surah 9:73)

"Believers, make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Deal firmly with them." (Surah 9:121-)

"Say: 'Praise be to God who has never begotten a son; who has no partner in His Kingdom..." (Surah 17:111)

"'How shall I bear a child,' she [Mary] answered, 'when I am a virgin...?' 'Such is the will of the Lord,' he replied. 'That is no difficult thing for Him...God forbid that He [God[ Himself should beget a son!...Those who say: 'The Lord of Mercy has begotten a son,' preach a monstrous falsehood..." (Surah 19:12-, 29-, 88)

"Fight for the cause of God with the devotion due to Him...He has given you the name of Muslims..." (Surah 22:78-)

"Blessed are the believers...who restrain their carnal desires (except with their wives and slave-girls, for these are lawful to them)...These are the heirs of Paradise..." (Surah 23:1-5-)

"Muhammad is God's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another." (Surah 48:29)

"Shall the reward of goodness be anything but good?...Dark-eyed virgins sheltered in their tents...They shall recline on green cushions and fine carpets...Blessed be the name of your Lord..." (Surah 55:52-66-)

December 24, 2013 at 2:10 pm |
      • Reality # 2

What instigated the attack on the Twin Towers, Flight 93 and the Pentagon?

And what drives today's 24/7 mosque/imam-planned acts of terror and horror?

The koran, Mohammed's book of death for all infidels and Muslim domination of the world by any means.

Muslims must clean up this book removing said passages (see above) admitting that they are based on the Gabriel myth and therefore obviously the hallucinations and/or lies of Mohammed.

Then we can talk about the safety and location of mosques and what is taught therein.

Until then, no Muslim can be trusted anytime or anywhere..................................

December 24, 2013 at 2:12 pm |
        • Reality # 2

More evidence that no Muslim can be trusted:

The terror and aggression via a Partial and Recent and Not So Recent Body Count

As the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles. Iraqi civilians killed as of 05/10/2013/, 113,249-123,978 mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011

20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011

21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.

22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) - Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.

23) "October 4, 2011, 100 die as a truck loaded with drums of fuel exploded Tuesday at the gate of compound housing several government ministries on a busy Mogadishu street. It was the deadliest single bombing carried out by the al Qaeda-linked al-Shabab group in Somalia since their insurgency began. "

o 24) Mon Jun 4, 2012 10:18am EDT
          o
          BAGHDAD (Reuters) – A suicide bomber detonated an explosive-packed car outside a Shi'ite Muslim office in central Baghdad on Monday, killing at least 26 people and wounding more than 190 in an attack bearing the hallmarks of Iraq's al Qaeda affiliate.
          The bombing on a Shi'ite religious office comes at a sensitive time, with the country's fractious Shi'ite, Sunni and Kurdish blocs locked in a crisis that threatens to unravel their power-sharing deal and spill into sectarian tensions."

25) BURGAS, Bulgaria | Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:27am EDT

(Reuters) – A suicide bomber carried out an attack that killed seven people in a bus transporting Israeli tourists in Bulgaria, the interior minister said on Thursday, and Israel said Iranian-backed Hezbollah militants were to blame.

26 ) September 12, 2012
          U.S. AMBASSADOR KILLED
          Envoy to Libya dies in rocket blast

27) Boston Marathon horror – April 2013, four dead, hundreds injured and maimed for life. A
          Continued below:

December 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
  11. Justice

Austin:

Be careful. The gifted ones, the shepherds and tbe prophets will be hated; just as Jesus was hated. We don't run because we don't fear death... but we stay awake and tend to the flock.

Psalms 91
    Proverbs 8

December 24, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
    • igaftr

sheep are such incredibly stupid creatures.

December 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
      • Jimmy Joe Jim Bob

They make nice blankets.

December 24, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
  12. Jesus' Beloved

Now is come salvation, and strength, and the Kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb [Jesus], and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

The only way to overcome the enemy is by "the blood of the Lamb, and the word of your testimony"

December 24, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
    • sam stone

delusional nonsense

December 24, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
      • MWP

I know you speak incredible nonsense but you still have freedom of speech anyway!

December 24, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
    • Mosey the Pirate

He boiled for your sins!

December 24, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
      • sam stone

he had a bad weekend for your sins

December 24, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

sounds like a cult to me ...

December 24, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
  13. Justice

Seeds of hope... Can they move mountains?

Bless yourselves, Amen.

December 24, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
    • Grace

Bulldozers move mountains.

December 24, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
    • Justice

Faith moves mountains...

December 24, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
      • igaftr

faith never moved a thing. Action is required to move things.

December 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
      • Jimmy Joe Jim Bob

Bulldozers and heavy equipment can move mountains...very slowly.

Faith? I have faith in CASE and John Deere. Either one is more powerful than your impotent, imaginary fairy.

December 24, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
      • sburns54

Yeah. Mountains of horse puckey, shoveled right into the maws of the non-thinking sheep. pass the collection plate!

December 24, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
    • Well Done

Yes they can move mountains....I have moved many "mountains" in my life. And sonme that were "blind" I helped to "see".

December 24, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
  14. Justice

My thoughts and prayers are with the refugees who are seeking political asylum from religious persecution. An exodus from Northern Africa to the Mediterranean... I pray they be received.

December 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm |
    • igaftr

Then stop praying and DO something.

December 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
      • srcactus

Feel better now?

December 24, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
        • Jimmy Joe Jim Bob

Faith is all about feeling better, isn't it, coward?

December 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
  15. pam

I wish there was some brilliant poster that just copied and pasted the same thing over and over.

Brilliant.

See page 1.

December 24, 2013 at 12:07 pm |
  16. Justice

Miss Evans:

Those seeds of hope need to be sown. There is an exodus of Christians, mostly women and children making their way out of northern Africa to the Mediterranean Sea. The numbers dwarf those of the Holocaust but the atrocities measured against them are similar. They come with only what they can carry and many are tortured and killed along the way. They are asking for political asylum from what the media calls ethnic persecution and cleansing.

I pray they be received...

December 24, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
    • Austin

looking for more details from you unless you put them on the other blog.

December 24, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
      • steve sparrow

Actually, its an exodus Christians, Muslims and many others.

December 24, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
  17. mzh

So the today’s Christianity and Hinduism are pretty similar as both are having the similar concept of ‘Incarnation’ and ‘Re-Incarnation’?

The only difference I see is Christians believe that God incarnated in flesh form and Hindus believes that they are being re-incarnated for generation after generation and I guess so Buddhism and there may be others…

December 24, 2013 at 11:59 am |
    • Austin

well i can tell you that i have experienced supernatural revealing of God's word by the Holy Spirit, that changed who I am.

and I mean supernatural. I could never be the same unbeliever that i was. In the Word of God, IS , spiritual life as it is described to a T.

December 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
      • sam stone

i had a supernatural experience, too. however, i had a handful of magic mushrooms in me at the time

austin....you are delusional

December 24, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
      • Jimmy Joe Jim Bob

You, sir, are a bold-faced liar.

December 24, 2013 at 2:35 pm |
      • Roger

Not everyone on the Internet will understand spiritual transformation. Don't worry about those that mock what they don't understand. Many others know exactly what you are talking about. Peace and Merry Christmas!

December 24, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
        • Well Done

You are correct Roger....!

December 24, 2013 at 2:44 pm |
    • pam

December 24, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • Reality # 2

Putting the kibosh on all religion in less than ten seconds: Priceless !!!

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

• A constant cycle of reincarnation until enlightenment is reached and belief that various beings (angels?, tinkerbells? etc) exist that we, as mortals, cannot comprehend makes for a no on Sikhism.

Added details available upon written request.

e.g. Taoism

December 24, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
    • Candiano

Christianity and Hinduism are nothing alike.

December 24, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
  18. Austin

Jesus did not flee from persecution either and neither should Christians, and if there is a threat, do they have the right to fight back where ever they may be? should we tuck our tails and run from persecution?

December 24, 2013 at 11:58 am |
    • midwest rail

If you live in the United States, there is none.

December 24, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
      • pam

And there is none against atheists, either.

December 24, 2013 at 12:05 pm |
        • midwest rail

Did I say, or even intimate, that there is ?

December 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm |
        • G to the T

Persecution? Maybe not, but do you know of any states that don't allow a christian to hold office? Because there are states that won't allow an Atheist to do so...

December 24, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
    • Candiano

There is no persecution in the US of Christians, Austin. Puhleeze.

December 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
    • Chuckles

You delusional retarded xtian nut job. Christards are idiots and deserve to be mocked and be the recipient of slur words and derogatory names. If you believe in a sky fairy and burn science books you deserve to be imprisoned and suffer.
      You are not being persecuted, you ignorant bronze aged dirty desert worshipping pig.

December 24, 2013 at 12:33 pm |
      • In doG we SantA

I agree. Oh, look at us retarded and delusional idiots who believe in a guy in the sky who watches our every move. Jerks like that should be concentrated into camps and executed. We need a superior race of Neo-Atheists to rule using evolution, physics and basic algebra. We can conquer Tooth Fairy belief systems with our superior knowledge of the Big Bang Theory and dinosaurs.
        The only thing persecuting zombie worshipping xtiatards are there own deluded beliefs.

December 24, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
  19. Justice

Miss Evans...

Those seeds of hope is your faith. Powerful. YOUR faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains.

I came here to help people to understand that there's an exodus of Christians moving from northern Africa to thr Mediterranean Sea. Men, women and children seeking political asylum. An exodus that dwarfs the Jewish Holocaust.

I pray they be received.

December 24, 2013 at 11:45 am |
    • Austin

can you elaborate more on this with some details?

December 24, 2013 at 11:54 am |
      • Candiano

Google "Christian persecution in Africa" and stories magically appear.

December 24, 2013 at 12:19 pm |
  20. Austin

controversial separdic jews meet with ahmedinejad and call for the dismantiling of the jewish state of talmudic jews.

very controversial!!!!

December 24, 2013 at 11:40 am |
    • Jesus' Beloved

Hi Austin, I was reading some of your posts yesterday with regards to dreams and visions, and on a whole I was blessed by the testimony you shared with others.

I absolutely agree that now in these last days young will dream dreams and the old see visions.
      Currently many, especially in the Mid-east are having dreams where Jesus visits them and reveals Himself to them.

In any event I was interested if there was anything else along those lines you wanted to share.

December 24, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
      • Austin

i would love to, if i can find you . I have an incredible journey to share.

December 24, 2013 at 4:23 pm |