home
RSS
December 23rd, 2013

A Christmas apology, and the seeds of hope

Opinion by Rachel Held Evans, Special to CNN

(CNN) - This week we celebrate Christmas, and as a Christian, I want to say I’m sorry.

I’m sorry that this season has become about fights over manger scenes on public property, about complaining when clerks say, “Happy Holidays,” instead of “Merry Christmas,” about rampant commercialism and faux persecution.

I’m sorry that Christians in the United States can be so entitled when we’ve long enjoyed majority status, when we can be so blind to our own privilege.

It is ironic, really, because in the church calendar, the seasons of Advent and Christmas call us to reflect upon and celebrate what Christians believe was the most radical act of humility of all time - the incarnation.

The doctrine of the incarnation holds that the God of the universe, in his love for humanity, emptied himself of his power and became human, like us, in the form of Jesus.

The word incarnation literally means “to make into flesh” and refers to the apostle John’s teaching that “(t)he Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us” (John 1:14).

“No one has ever seen God,” John explains, but Jesus “has made him known.”

In other words, if you want to know what God is like, look at Jesus -

Jesus, who was born as an oppressed minority in an occupied land,

Jesus who was an immigrant,

Jesus, who surrounded himself with the poor, the sick, the marginalized and the “untouchables,”

Jesus who was criticized by the religious for hanging out with sinners,

Jesus who treated women with dignity and respect,

Jesus who taught his disciples to love their enemies, to give without expecting anything in return, to overcome evil with love,

Jesus who suffered,

Jesus who wept,

Jesus who - while hanging on a Roman cross - said, “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

Quaker theologian Elton Trueblood put it this way: “The historic Christian doctrine of the divinity of Christ does not simply mean that Jesus is like God. It is far more radical than that. It means that God is like Jesus.”

It means that God suffers, God forgives, God fellowships with the poor, God cares for the sick, God loves His enemies.

Even as a lifelong Christian, I struggle with doubts about God. I struggle to make sense of the violence in the world, the violence in the Bible, the violence in my own heart. I don’t have all the answers.

But even when there’s nothing left to my faith but a little seed of hope, that hope is in the incarnation, in the radical teaching that God loved us enough to become like us, and that when God wanted to show us what he was like, God showed us Jesus.

Rachel Held Evans is the author of "A Year of Biblical Womanhood" and "Evolving in Monkey Town." Evans blogs at rachelheldevans.com, and the views expressed in this column belong to her.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Christianity • Christmas • Faith • Holidays • Opinion

soundoff (2,872 Responses)
  1. Lyansidde

I do not believe, but I am repulsed by those who attack Christians and Christianity. How can we expect to be allowed our disbelief if we do not grant them their belief.

December 24, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • ARKangel

Well said Lyansidde! I am faithful and have plenty of atheist friends. We're doing just fine. The hateful in both sides deserve each other.

December 24, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
  2. LMS

So many filled with hate and bile. I hope they find their inner peace.

December 24, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
    • Chuckles

I'm all the inner peace I needed you deluded sky fairy guy in the sky bronzed age strawman logical fallacy.

December 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
      • John

Why so offensively angry, incorrectly-named Chuckles? I, too, am an atheist, but not the kind of angry, judgmental, arrogant, and unkind one that you are. You're doing nothing to advance the cause, to advance rational thought, you know that, right? You're like a petulant little schoolgirl who just wants attention and is now throwing a temper-tantrum because you're not getting that attention.

December 24, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
        • lol??

You missed the sarcasm. You are the straight man.

December 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
      • lol??

Sky King reruns just for funs.

December 24, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
  3. Amused

I too am sorry. I am very sorry for all of the bigots who are offended when they are wished a merry Christmas, or they see a Christmas tree, or they hear a Christmas carol.

December 24, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
    • Chuckles

I'm sorry that my atheism automatically makes me superior to you. I believe because I simply imagine I'm better, not because some book tells me I'm better.

December 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
    • PaytonB

I'm sorry you're so offended when people point out that the "Christmas Tree" and other "christmas traditions" are all stolen from other celebrations.

December 24, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
  4. popseal

44 years ago at age 25, I finally agreed with loved ones that I did need to know God through faith in the resurrected Jesus. The dramatic consequences of that spiritual regeneration have not left me in the lurch. I fully recommend Christ as Savior to any who is through with the pop culture claptrap about politics, God, Muslims, all of it. If you take me up on this, sit down for a long time with a Bible, about 25 years or so.

December 24, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • Chuckles

At the age of 25 I was practicing science and studying about evolution and learning about dinosaurs. Now I'm qualified to prove God doesn't exist and I'm totally awesome without a deity. Do you even know what the Big Bang Theory is? No, you don't, because only I know it. Too bad for you.

December 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
      • Maani

Chuckles: I, too, studied dinosaurs and evolution and the Big Bang. And I agree that dinosaurs existed (and NOT at the same time as humans), the evolution occurred (though, in my case, I believe with "first cause"), and that the universe is 13+-billion years old. Yet NONE of that affects my belief in God, which is just as strong as my belief in science.

It is sad that people need to continue to set up a "conflict" between faith and science – particularly since (i) some of the greatest scientists were believers, from Newton to Mendel, and including Sir Francis Bacon, who developed the "scientific method" as we use it today, and (ii) since 1906, every single poll/study done has shown that ~40% of scientists are at least deists, with many theists among them. Apparently, they see no "conflict" between faith and science, nor do they experience any cognitive dissonance.

Peace.

December 24, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
  5. emskadittle

Jesus is the Original Liberal

December 24, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
    • lol??

That's just a little poke. You don't even qualify to play the knockout game.

December 24, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
  6. SDFrankie

Christians. They never get their story straight. They want you to believe God "emptied" himself of his power and became human. But humans don't walk on water or turn water into wine, and when they die it doesn't last three days. It's forever. What confused bunk.

December 24, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
    • Austin

isnt is allread written down though? and not by Christians but king james?

December 24, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
      • sburns54

You're confused. King James didn't write the bible, he sponsored a translation of it in England around 1600.

December 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
    • You can get the story straight

Try reading the bible.

December 24, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
    • bajadelmar

If that's what YOU want to believe then that's fine by me. Just keep it to yourself, similiar to atheists that expect believers to keep their opinions to themselves. If you people would start practicing what you preach this world would be so much better.

December 24, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
      • lol??

A little jab?? Yeah, a jadjab.

December 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
  7. Blue HD

There are sincere Christians who celebrate Christmas from the religious viewpoint.

Regardless of what some official church, ancient and extinct pagan tradition, government declaration, or over-commercialization and Americanized viewpoint leads you to believe.

Ask the person why they celebrate. Don't insist you know the real reason.

December 24, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
    • bajadelmar

If that's what YOU want to believe then that's fine by me. Just keep it to yourself, similiar to xians that expect non-believers to keep their opinions to themselves. If you people would start practicing what you preach this world would be so much better.

December 24, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
  8. GeorgeH

The self-hate and loathing is necessary for Christians in order for them to become dependant upon the faith. It creates the emotional void that only Jesus can fulfill. It creates the dependency, like any really dangerous drug, ensuring that you only ever feel "good", or even "normal" while under it's influence.

December 24, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
    • Austin

ya right, and the the muslims absolutely love israel for no reason at all.

December 24, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
      • GeorgeH

What do Muslims and Israel have to do with Christian indoctrinated dependance upon the faith for happiness?

December 24, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
        • Austin

The basic manifestation of evil. a supernatural reality from old.

December 24, 2013 at 5:21 pm |
    • Chris

Yes, it's almost as pathetic as the need others have to nit-pick at what someone else chooses to believe.

December 24, 2013 at 5:22 pm |
      • bajadelmar

If that's what YOU want to believe then that's fine by me. Just keep it to yourself, similiar to xians and atheists that expect non-believers and believers to keep their opinions to themselves. If you people would start practicing what you preach this world would be so much better.

December 24, 2013 at 5:24 pm |
        • lol??

Jab jab jab.

December 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
        • Sammy

If you take the smartest atheist on this board, and switch his words from atheist to Christian...believer to non-believer... it still looks stupid.

December 24, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
  9. AtPeace

Thank you. This is so beautiful, inspiring and true. As an African-American born in the segregated south, as a child I began to question the truthfulness of a loving god, because I witnessed so much racial hatred and bigotry at the hands of people who called themselves "Christians." It confused me and terrorized me that a "God" for all people would condone such violence and hatred. I came to the conclusion at a very tender and impressionable age that "God don't like black people." As I've grown and matured, I've re-discovered the "God" within, and choose to be like the God I imagine a loving God would be. Loving, caring, compassionate, giving, concern, showing empathy...I stay away from the churches. The few times I've attempted to attend, I found so much hostility, division and intolerance for others who are different. Be they of a different, race, religion, class, gender whatever. I was often saddened and chose not to return. I now find the true love of god in places many who attend church would never find themselves. I see God in the eyes of the lone homeless man or woman looking sadly from their eyes, in fear and in hopes that they won't be judged by their plight. I find love and joy in once watching a cat with a home move aside and share her food with a feral cat, she'd befriended. I see God/Jesus in the flight of the birds and blue skies and sunshine and watching the stars on a cloudless night. I see God in the eyes of the immigrant , and I'm always humbled in their presence. That's what gives me joy. the joy I never found inside the walls of any church.

December 24, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
    • newshound

One would have to look a long time before finding another post as meaningful and truthful as yours.

December 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
    • RickyPeters

We atheists see joy and wonder in nature, and expressions of human goodness as well, but we simply see it for what it actually is, and not what some book teaches it to be.

December 24, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
      • Nope

Atheism just means you don't believe in God.
        The crackhead down the street from me that happens to be an atheist doesn't see joy and wonder in nature, and expressions of human goodness as well.
        And believers in God don't simply believe something because a book tells them to. They can see joy and wonder in nature, and expressions of human goodness as well, for reasons different than you insist.

December 24, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
      • lol??

Rickety Peters, a "Wegodian" street punk. Who'd a thunk??

December 24, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
  10. Paul

The only problem I had with her apology is her statement of faux persecution. If you don't see the movement to remove Christian God in this country, then your head is buried deep in the sand. Our govenments cower to the atheists which is a small minority. Should a cross honoring those who died in war be removed from a military base when the majority is fine with it? Should a reality star be banned from his own show because he vocalizes his faith? Should Christians in the military be classified as extremists by their own government? Our society cowers to the atheists because they make the most noise. So maybe instead of apologizing, Christians so squak louder than the atheists. Jesus did not apologize to the Pharacies, he told them them they were wrong. Don't apologize for being who you are. The LGBT aren't apologizing. The atheiest aren't apologizing. The Muslims most definetly aren't apologizing.

December 24, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

Should we have Hindu prayers at public meetings? Tyranny of the majority seems to be OK if you're the majority but that could change. If you want to believe why not just go to church as prescribed and leave it at that and not push your religion and your beliefs on to the rest of us.

December 24, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
      • bajadelmar

I couldn't agree more. I'm sick of being slighted by these self-righteous xians who think it's their right to tell other people how to live. MYOFB!!! These people say one thing and do another.

December 24, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
    • Ann M

How is it "persecution" when a very small minority struggles for equality?

I suppose MLK was persecuting whites?

December 24, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
    • DaveCA

Maybe those other groups aren't apologizing bc they've been on the receiving end of christian "love" for far too long and have finally had enough.

December 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
    • joe

It's because we recognize that to give any Religion precedent is wrong. This is a Nation of secular Law,...not Religious. Religion,....no Religion,...has a place in this Government. Your church,...your Home,...sure. Those are yours,...the Government, Country,...belong to EVERYONE. BTW,..."the man" does not own the show,...his Network bosses do. It was their idea.

December 24, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
  11. adibese

From an Atheist: Merry Christmas, to you too! I know you're not all Ducktards. Live in peace.

December 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
    • Austin

well that is a new testament tenant, peace, because there is no jihad for Christians. Rather the commandment to be Christ like, who was not a military ruler. we don't rely on flesh and blood , our struggle is against the principalities of heavan who fell. We have spiritual armor.
      Ephesians 6:10-18
      New International Version (NIV)

The Armor of God
      10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

December 24, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
      • Ann M

No jihad, but definitely a fight to overturn advances like gay marriage and abortion rights.

December 24, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
        • Austin

ann the old testament law, was righteouss and reflected the image of GOD. not a hulligan.

the only one to keep or fulfill the law was Christ, and so therefore, He died and took responsibility for His fallen creation.

now, as He ascended He left the Holy Spirit. THAT, holy Spirit,who indwells us, is why the Word of God, is still pure with standards. I dont know why the rule is not like the rule about eating pigs, but it has to do with things like adultery, or fornicating with a non believer.....or believer
          2 Corinthians 6:15 ►
          What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?

a sin aginst ones onwn flesh, 1 Corinthians 6:19 ►

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;

in full, this life is not our own, and we are called to honor God as spiritual servants, becoming slaves to righteoussness.

December 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
        • Ann M

"the only one to keep or fulfill the law was Christ"
          Surely, you do not mean Jesus, who constantly is depicted as being liberal in his observance of the Law, much to the ire of the Pharisees?

December 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
      • RickyPeters

But "Christ" will supposedly return as a military ruler, right? Christians already see him as this vengeful future, kick-a$$ dictator so it's a bit of a cheat to say that you venerate "Jesus meek and mild", eh?

December 24, 2013 at 5:23 pm |
        • Harv

Christ returns in blood soaked clothes...but the blood is his. He sacrifices, not kills.

December 24, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
  12. lolwut

SO much self-loathing...

December 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
    • GeorgeH

They need to breed this self-loathing so that you can't find happiness from within. It makes you dependant upon the religion for happiness, kinda like a dope/addiction dynamic.

December 24, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
    • Jeff

More like honest and introspective. Christmas would be the perfect time for you to try it, and to stop being fearful of looking in the mirror.

December 24, 2013 at 5:15 pm |
      • RickyPeters

I stopped being fearful when I became an atheist. That took honesty and deep self-examination, and I've never been happier!
        🙂

December 24, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
        • Noon2Eve

For me, I stopped being fearful when I became a Christian. That took honesty and deep self-examination, and I've never been happier! 🙂

We Christians and atheists do have a lot in common. No wonder we like hanging out in religious message boards so much. Cheers, bro!

December 24, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
    • In Santa we trust

If you're referring to the poster, provide an example.

December 24, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
  13. What Goes Around

I think she should become a missionary in Afreaka so she can assuage her white guilt.

December 24, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
    • Skeptic

As a Christian, I apologize for fake Christians like you, too.

December 24, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
  14. urr_qasdim

So "God showed us Jesus", the Middle-Eastern Jew (Yeshua, son of Yoseph and Miriam) who didn't look like a Northern European the great painters made him look (tall, with blue eyes and all) but short, brown-skinned, with black eyes and curly black hair (just like today's Arabs). A pupil and follower of Hillel, Jesus would be labeled a Socialist today. Lets get real here: He was neither God nor His representative, just a nice fellow who cared about the weak and the poor. 300 years after he died, the new Christians decided that Jesus is god...
    You are free to draw your own conclusions – as long as you adhere to historical facts.

December 24, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
    • Austin

well what does it say in matthew, mark , luke and John. who were they?

December 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
      • urr_qasdim

They were all Jews, like Jesus. Christianity didn't begin till about 300 years later.

December 24, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
        • RickyPeters

I think you're confusing Matthew, Mark, Luke and John for some of Jesus disciples. These Gospels are actually anonymous.

December 24, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
        • Austin

how do we know that luke was a doctor?

December 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm |
        • RickyPeters

Austin
          How did Luke supposedly know Jesus?

December 24, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
    • rindy nong

You don't know your historical fact. Stop pretending!

December 24, 2013 at 5:07 pm |
      • urr_qasdim

Those who deny facts are the real pretenders! Only several hundred millions of them on Earth.

December 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
  15. That time of year

oh well,, I thought the apology was for stealing the pagan holiday..

December 24, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
    • Live4Him

There are so many pagan holidays that it would be impossible to have a holiday that ISN'T near one of them. That doesn't mean that a pagan holiday was 'stolen'.

December 24, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
      • Chris

I don't think you've read into the history of Christmas. It was stolen from the Celts a little over a thousand years ago, to make the bloody transition of killing off the preisthood while converting the average people a bit simpler.

Most major " christian " holidays were stolen from other religions.

December 24, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
        • Austin

diabolical mimicry. The angels who fell from heaven , were created by Christ.

John1.....all things were made through Him. He was in the beginning.

then they began their evil work of false religion, before He , God became man.

2 Cor 11:13, 14
          13 "For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps disguising himself as an angel of light."

December 24, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
        • Trevor

NO. It was stolen from the Romans around 400 AD. Come on!

December 24, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
        • Live4Him

@Chris : I don't think you've read into the history of Christmas. It was stolen from the Celts

This is an interesting conclusion, but misguided. There are only 365 days in a year. Pagan holidays are near every one of them, if not exactly on one. So it cannot be claimed 'stolen' simply because it is near or on a pagan holiday. There is no question that Christ's miraculous birth occurred and that Christians celebrate it. The WHEN doesn't matter.

December 24, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
      • Seth

Yeah it was stolen, not just "near". Co-opted during Christian conversion of medieval Europe. The Yule log, the decorated tree, the mistletoe... these are Pagan traditions. They did the same thing with Easter.

December 24, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
        • Trevor

Wait, you mean pagans who had logs, the decorated tree, the mistletoe as a part of their culture, later became Christians who had logs, the decorated tree, the mistletoe as part of their culture.
          So they didn't steal it. They just kept it? How is that stealing?

December 24, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
        • theblackwatchman

Actually, you're both dumb. It was "stolen" from the Roman pantheon's celebration of Saturnalia all the way back in the 4th century. Way to pontificate about "learning the origins" of a holiday, while simultaneously proving your own incompetence. Merry Christmas.

December 24, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
        • Live4Him

@Seth : Yeah it was stolen, not just "near".

Please identify the extant manuscript that identifies December 25th as a celebration of another 'virgin birth'. This manuscript must come before Christ's birth. You cannot do it. Thus, it is not stolen.

@Seth : The Yule log, the decorated tree, the mistletoe... these are Pagan traditions. They did the same thing with Easter.

There are some pagan traditions, but the purpose of the celebration is different.

@Seth : They did the same thing with Easter.

Satan is great at taking Christian holidays and distorting them to claim them as his own.

December 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm |
      • Susan StoHelit

Sorry – but it's not merely near, nor on a pagan holiday – it's part of the records of the early church. They weren't ashamed of it, this was a good thing they were doing, making it easier for pagans to convert to the 'true' religion by rebranding their holidays. Go do your research, it's not remotely in doubt, the church of the time did it on purpose, openly, proudly, to make it easier to convert pagans.

December 24, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
        • PapaM

A pagan who became a Christian got to keep his/her traditions.
          Study other cultures of other continents. The same thing happened.
          No big deal.

December 24, 2013 at 5:05 pm |
        • Live4Him

@Susan StoHelit : it's not merely near, nor on a pagan holiday ... rebranding their holidays.

So, what you're describing is REPLACING an existing pagan holiday with a new Christian holiday celebrating Jesus' virgin birth.

December 24, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
      • RickyPeters

Live4Him
        But, it would indicate that Christianity has nothing original to offer, right?

December 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm |
  16. Fish

While having never claimed to have seen God, I think he has spoken to me often not as in the movies but in my soul. As a person with MS I have been paralyzed many times and each time God has eased my pain and my soul. He did this by reminding me of those who are worse off then I and told me this was his only way of telling us not to take for granted the gifts he has provided. For this I was grateful for his love and guidance. May we all not take our fortunes for granted by try to share them with others!!! May God bless our nation and the world!!!

December 24, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • bajadelmar

December 24, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
      • lol??

It's stuck in a laugh track loop.

December 24, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
    • AE

Amen. God's strength is perfected in our weakness.

"For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

December 24, 2013 at 5:08 pm |
      • RickyPeters

doublespeak |ˈdəbəlˌspēk|
        noun
        deliberately euphemistic, ambiguous, or obscure language: the art of political doublespeak.
        ORIGIN 1950s: often attributed incorrectly to George Orwell's novel Nineteen Eighty-Four.

December 24, 2013 at 5:31 pm |
        • AE

Do you suffer from any handicaps, diseases or ailments that have dramatically changed your life?

Until I did, I though such talk was deliberate nonsense.

December 24, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
  17. His panic

We don't know and nobody, not one, knows when Jesus was born. We don't even know the year much less the month even less the day. One thing is sure; it was not in winter. Therefore could not have been in the roman month of December. There is no need for a social Gospel as there is no need for the so called "christmas" season. Jesus ministered to the poor as well as to the rich and all of those in between. Because ALL have sinned.

December 24, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • Austin

yes and the birth of Christ is God's war on sin and evil. luckily we live underneath the New Covenant, the New Testament, a promise and fulfillment of the Old Testament law, by the only sinless man, who was God. and He paid the price for the fall of His creation.

This New Covenant , was the victory of death,and the promise of the Holy Spirit , who will provide the sanctification of the law that we could not keep, supernaturally through the Holy Spirit who convicts us of sin, and bears the truth on ones heart.

December 24, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
      • His panic

AMEN & AMEN I like it like that!! 😉

December 24, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
  18. conoclast

This says it so unerringly well; you Christians (with a capital C) have an articulate spokesperson.

December 24, 2013 at 4:34 pm |
    • Iconoclast

Say what!! 😛

December 24, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  19. Austin

about 8 years ago, in about 2004 i had a vivid dream about a sand hill, with a four wheeler driving up it. and then there was a log cabin, i went in and my parents were talking about the Coffee's. I remembered that name. then there was a piano. and it was made out of bones, wood, and copper. these materials were part of a puzzle, a very distinct mystery.

over the past ten years, I have found my faith , supernaturally through the holy spirit, who has gifted with me with visions.

four years ago, my parent built a lake house at a place called the "big sandy". they were one of the first people to get a lot out there, by the platte river, in the country outside of Omaha. then they built a log cabin.

well over the past few years, the Lord has given me an amazing gift on the piano. i have an amazing song to share. and last weekend my grandmother died, and we went to her funeral in western nebraska. she was 100,and her 94 year old friend played the piano for the funeral. Her name was Mrs Coffee. yesterday, dec 23, my mother told me that the neighbor, next door at the lake house, just bought a grand piano.

and i believe,that this is the piano that I will start my music ministry on. i am heading there to see if it has weighted keys, and i want to record.

December 24, 2013 at 4:30 pm |
    • K-switch

In 2011 before the college footbal national champioship game between Alabama and LSU, I had a dream about an elephant(Alabam's mascot) that was raging out of control. In the game Alabama won 21-0.

December 24, 2013 at 4:34 pm |
      • bajadelmar

Oh yes undeniable proof that your magic sky fairy exists! LMAO Merry Winter Solstice copycat zealots!!!

December 24, 2013 at 4:46 pm |
        • Austin

the holy spirit is a sanctifying spirit that bears the truth of God's word on a persons heart, supernaturally. They call this, the seal of the spirit. There are also spiritual gifts.

Acts 2:17
          New International Version (NIV)

17 “‘In the last days, God says,
          I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
          Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
          your young men will see visions,
          your old men will dream dreams
          John 15:26-27
          New International Version (NIV)

The Work of the Holy Spirit
          26 “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. 27 And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.

December 24, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
    • K-switch

If your bowl picks aren't locked in, I had a dream that Sparty beats Stanford.

December 24, 2013 at 4:49 pm |