home
RSS
Supreme Court delays contraception mandate for two Catholic nonprofits
December 31st, 2013

Supreme Court delays contraception mandate for two Catholic nonprofits

By Bill Mears, CNN Supreme Court Producer

Washington (CNN)–
The U.S. Supreme Court has temporarily exempted two Catholic Church-affiliated nonprofits from requirements to provide contraceptive coverage to its employees under the Affordable Care Act.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor issued a brief order late Tuesday, hours before the controversial Obama administration mandates were set to go into effect.

The Little Sisters of the Poor – a charity congregation of Roman Catholic women in Denver – and the Illinois-based Christian Brothers Services had filed a lawsuit objecting to the contraception mandate, saying it violated their religious and moral beliefs. Some religious-affiliated groups were required to comply with contraception coverage or face hefty fines.

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bishops • Catholic Church • Christianity • Courts • Pope Francis

soundoff (1,682 Responses)
  1. kafantaris2

The Denver nuns of the Little Sisters of the Poor Home for the Aged - being as benevolent as they claim - should not interfere with a law that gives dignity to millions of uninsured Americans by allowing them access to affordable health care.
    To do so in the courts under the name of the Catholic Church which has been involved in American healthcare for decades is, indeed, an irony.

January 1, 2014 at 10:25 am |
    • Mea Lima

kafantaris2
      The Denver nuns of the Little Sisters of the Poor Home for the Aged – being as benevolent as they claim – should not interfere with a law that gives dignity to millions of uninsured Americans by allowing them access to affordable health care.

'a law that gives dignity to millions of uninsured Americans by allowing them access to affordable health care'?
      Here's the skinny on that: Before the law, an uninsured person could enter any facility, tell them that they were uninsured, and thus get 10 to 20% off the invoice. They would then pay cash out of their pocket. NOW, they go in and there is no discount because they are purchasing insurance at about $200 to $300 per month (cash out of their pockets) that has a yearly limit of $5,000 to $6,000 deductible/out of pocket before the insurance will pay one thin dime! Guess what? The newly insured thus needs to pay the whole invoice out of their pockets without getting any discount!!!!!!!!!! Oh it is so-o-o-o affordable.
      But there is dignity!!!!!! It looks good to hold out a meaningless card when going in!!!!

January 1, 2014 at 7:02 pm |
  2. children of Israel

The earth is given into the hand of the wicked. The red horse are Edomites the caucasians, who take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword. – Genesis 27:40 And by thy sword shalt thou live, and shalt serve thy brother; *Romans 9:12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

January 1, 2014 at 10:18 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Do you believers have the slightest clue how stupid and boring it is for you to post scripture with nothing but symbolism and metaphor with a few declarative statements in the mix? How about make some sort of definite point. It doesn't even have to be a good point. He11, make a stupid point. Something.

January 1, 2014 at 10:25 am |
    • Sim1833

Do you have any idea of what you are saying? It just a bunch of drivel and makes no sense. Please be quiet until you have something to say that is understandable.

January 1, 2014 at 11:09 am |
  3. TYRANNASAUR

Sotomayor said the two groups were exempted from the mandates until at least Friday, when the federal government faces a deadline to file a legal response in the case.............

That's fine if that's the way the CHURCH thinks they should treat women.....of course they should get no FEDERAL MONEY and the women should find another religion since the Catholics treat them as less than human.

January 1, 2014 at 10:16 am |
    • Mea Lima

So, the government tells a person to drink foreign cancer causing chemicals because it is so-o-o healthy for them and possibly a tiny baby inside them, too.
      You must believe all that mallarky. The Church says go all natural cause all that foreign cancer causing stuff really isn't all that good for you.
      THIS you say is treating women crappy!
      Dah

January 1, 2014 at 7:08 pm |
    • Mea Lima

Does everyone here know that when they pay their monthly premium into their insurance, the law now states that a minimum of $1 per month must be deducted and stowed into special accounts held at the insurance company? No insurance company is exempt. The special accounts in total nationwide will grow at a yearly rate of $4 billion before expenses. After the ACA law was passed, the HHS came out and told everyone what those accounts were to be spent on. The two or three people at the HHS wrote a restrictive list and on that restrictive list were certain 'health' procedures and also two chemical weapons. Women are to be enticed into ingesting these weapons to do away with their fetuses. This way the natural born USA citizens of the future will decline in number. The only way the population of the USA will grow will be from immigration.
      These weapons act upon the children in the SAME manner as those videos we saw coming out of Syria. The children shake, cry in pain and then die.
      Also on that list are the provisions for birth control pills. Many people object to the ruin of health that these pills cause.

It isn't just the Catholics who are totally upset about being coerced. Any person who has a moral conscience should be upset about this whole nasty coercive tactic from the unelected few that were given too much power from stupid, blind governmental representatives who were not upholding their oath of office. .

I would never drop a $1 per month into a charity kettle knowing that the money would then go to purchase chemical weapons that would be used against little children! The unelected few know this....that is why they are being Hitlers and making everyone do this.

The freedom to choose to contribute that $1 is GONE. I cannot say "NO, I will not contribute to this travesty!"

That is what this is all about.

January 1, 2014 at 7:35 pm |
  4. Colin

If I am Jehovah's Witness and believe that blood transfusions displease the Judeo-Christian god, can I exclude blood transfusions from my company's health care plan?

January 1, 2014 at 10:15 am |
    • Cpt. Obvious

Yes. All you have to do to get around the law is to register a few pieces of paperwork with the government to show that you believe and carry out rituals concerning invisible, undetectable, and irrelevant beings who are more powerful than we humans.

And by the way, one of my neighbors a few months ago was fired from her job where 90% of the employees were JWs. My neighbor has a rare condition that requires blood transfusions every 60 to 90 days or so, depending on how the disease is acting at that time. They fired my neighbor one week after they found out what the disease was and the required treatment. My neighbor was the top performing individual on the company's sales team with nothing but positive feedback and awards and the like.

January 1, 2014 at 10:22 am |
      • Colin

I strongly suggest your friend seek legal advice. If (s)he was fired for his/her (lack of) religious beliefs, that it a direct breach of Federal and probably state law. I'm serious.

January 1, 2014 at 10:25 am |
        • Cpt. Obvious

Yep. My neighbor is currently in the process, but is not sure about continuing. I understand their position about not wanting to live with that cloud of negativity, but I would also like to see justice be done. Dunno....

January 1, 2014 at 10:34 am |
      • JW

This story sounds fakish...

January 1, 2014 at 1:04 pm |
        • Colin

JW, would you agree with a corporate policy to exclude blood transfusions from coverage based on JWs owning the company?

January 1, 2014 at 1:16 pm |
  5. Colin

So, the ridiculous, Bronze Age superst.ition that an invisible, all-knowing being, powerful enough to create the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies, watches and is displeased when I have $ex with a condom, once again, trumps modern 21st Century US Government policy.

Unbelievable!

January 1, 2014 at 10:05 am |
  6. Apple Bush

I have come to realize something. I am not a Laker fan. I thought I was for many years but I could just never warm up to Shaq and Kobe and I have steadily lost interest. I realize now that I was a fan of Kareem and Magic. Worthy and Green, Byron and Coop and the Showtime boys. I get it now. Thank you Lord.

January 1, 2014 at 4:36 am |
    • sam stone

Even though I was a Piston fan, I was also a fan of Kareem (classy guy), Magic (Spartoons) and Kurt Superman Rambis

January 1, 2014 at 9:31 am |
      • Charm Quark

AB
        Stockton to Malone, tah, tah, U, tah. Yes I love Jazz, the sax, John Coltrane to Johnny Hodges.

January 1, 2014 at 10:04 am |
  7. The Amazing Criswell Predicts!

And now it's time for my amazing predictions for 2014! It's what you have all been waiting for!

I predict that in 2014 Christians will still ignore whatever parts of the Bible they find inconvenient, but endlessly chastise others for doing the same thing!

I predict Miley Cyrus will do an entire tour nude, and break all known records for ticket prices and sales.

I predict Muslims will claim to be a religion of peace then detonate.

I predict Anna Nicole Smith will resurrect and be heralded the true messiah. She will be the first of a series of zombie resurrections that will include Truman Capote, Fatty Arbuckle, and Pee Wee Herman, who was not aware he was dead. This will end when Danny Bonaduce does Zombie Rule #2 on them.

I predict that the heads of Tea Party members will start exploding all over the country from the pressure of too much rage.

I predict that the head of the Mormon church will receive a divine message that twerking is the true path to Kolob, and that their protective undergarments must now be thong panties.

I predict that no matter who you elect to public office, the mess will get worse.

I predict that the Constitution and Bill of Rights will be recognized as thoroughly bastardized, and replaced with a menu from Chili's.

I predict that Edward Snowden will release definitive information proving that the NSA sneaks in at night and fondles your children's naughty bits while you are sleeping. Many will be in favor of it because the threat of terrorism is just more important than a few silly rights.

I predict that secularism will continue to grow rapidly thanks to the idiotic behavior of religious people and the absurdities of religious scripture.

I predict Snooki Polizzi will become the latest Republican darling presidential candidate, but things will go badly for her. In the weeks up to November, her internal polls show doing very poorly. Her chief political adviser, Christine O'Donnell, will have her do an ad campaign claiming that she is not a demon squish-kitty in Austin's brain, which goes poorly too. Come November, she will lose the election Her concession speech will blame the libtards for not telling her it wasn't a presidential election year. FOX News will give her a well-paid position to share her fair and balanced views on the nefarious liberal War On Good Friday.

And remember my friends, we are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

December 31, 2013 at 11:03 pm |
    • Observer

Wow! You do MUCH BETTER than Austin.

January 1, 2014 at 2:14 am |
      • The Amazing Criswell Predicts!

Don't besmirch the blessed name of The Prophet Austin. For verily he is of that special Christian breed of people who cannot make people believe their divine gift. The apostles themselves failed to gain more than a handful of converts when Jesus was alive.

Even the blessed and miraculous Jesus himself couldn't make most people believe he was what he said. Which is rather puzzling considering he was intended to deliver a message.

So that's just how Jesus and Austin are, considered kooks and ignored. Because God chooses the least credible people to convey his message. Which is a puzzling approach.

So The Prophet Austin is just the latest in a long and distinguished line of God's messengers who cannot get anyone to believe them.

January 1, 2014 at 3:05 am |
        • lol??

I'd say Jesus is quite well known and not a 15 minute wonder egg like Criswell.

January 1, 2014 at 3:12 am |
        • The Amazing Criswell Predicts!

Adolf Hitler is very well known too. It's better to be Criswell. No one ever did inquisitions and wars and torture and oppression in the name of Criswell.

January 1, 2014 at 3:15 am |
        • Observer

You're good. I'll bet that you predicted that there would be weiner roasts in 2011 and 2013.

January 1, 2014 at 3:17 am |
        • lol??

Well, yes of course!!!!!!!! The black horse like the pale horse is not exactly hidden. Greekster philosophical fanatics, too!!

January 1, 2014 at 4:19 am |
        • Live4Him

@lol?? : I'd say Jesus is quite well known and not a 15 minute wonder egg like Criswell.

Who is Criswell? 😉

<><

January 1, 2014 at 8:52 am |
  8. Universe

Quran says (Islamic Scripture)

“The example of Jesus, as far as GOD is concerned, is the same as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him, "Be," and he was.” Quran [3:59]

“It does not befit God that He begets a son, be He glorified. To have anything done, He simply says to it, ‘Be,’ and it is.” [19:35]

“No soul can carry the sins of another soul. If a soul that is loaded with sins implores another to bear part of its load, no other soul can carry any part of it, even if they were related. ... [35:18]

“They even attribute to Him sons and daughters, without any knowledge. Be He glorified. He is the Most High, far above their claims.” Quran [6:100]

“Recall that your Lord said to the angels, "I am placing a representative on Earth." They said, "Will You place therein one who will spread evil therein and shed blood, while we sing Your praises, glorify You, and uphold Your absolute authority?" He said, "I know what you do not know." [2:30]

“They say , "We live only this life; we will not be resurrected. If you could only see them when they stand before their Lord! He would say, "Is this not the truth?" They would say, "Yes, by our Lord." He would say, "You have incurred the retribution by your disbelief." [6:30]

“We have honored the children of Adam, and provided them with rides on land and in the sea. We provided for them good provisions, and we gave them greater advantages than many of our creatures.” Quran [17:70]

“O children of Adam, when messengers come to you from among you, and recite My revelations to you, those who take heed and lead a righteous life, will have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve.” Quran [7:35]

“O children of Adam, do not let the devil dupe you as he did when he caused the eviction of your parents from Paradise, and the removal of their garments to expose their bodies. He and his tribe see you, while you do not see them. We appoint the devils as companions of those who do not believe.” Quran [7:27]

“Losers indeed are those who disbelieve in meeting God, until the Hour comes to them suddenly, then say, "We deeply regret wasting our lives in this world." They will carry loads of their sins on their backs; what a miserable load! [6:31]

Thanks for taking time to read my post. Please take a moment to visit whyIslam org website.

December 31, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
    • We interrupt this blather with an important news bulletin

Universe suddenly exploded in a Volgograd kindergarten and is unable to continue sharing his message of peace with you.

December 31, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
  9. Ken

I don't vote Republican or Democrat. Choosing is a sin, so I always just write in the Lord's name!

December 31, 2013 at 10:08 pm |
    • Yeah

I voted for Jack Lord too.

If you are serious, disobeyed Jesus' "render unto Caesar" thing.

December 31, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
      • sam stone

You obviously have the wrong Lord. I cast a vote for Marjorlie Lord (wife on the danny thomas show (old reference, but hey, i am old))

January 1, 2014 at 9:37 am |
  10. Tracy

They only interviewed "Catholics" for the Pope position. So much for diversity in the workplace.

December 31, 2013 at 10:04 pm |
  11. JW

Religion should never interfere in politics...Just like Jesus and the early Christians never did!

December 31, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
    • Constantine

Ah, but when someone gave Christians a chance, they grabbed all the power they could.

So have you ever voted against gay marriage?

December 31, 2013 at 10:02 pm |
      • JW

yes they grab it. but is has been prophecyzed that Christianity would deviate from the truth...

Acts 20:29,30: "I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among you and will not treat the flock with tenderness, 30 and from among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves."

I didnt vote.

December 31, 2013 at 10:06 pm |
        • Constantine

It could easily be argued that you too have been led astray.

December 31, 2013 at 10:18 pm |
  12. I want to be a CNN Belief Blog moderator. Get paid, do absolutely nothing

CNN could not find worse moderators than they have. If they have any. A childish troll has been obliterating conversation for hours, and they do nothing.

December 31, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
    • I Don't Get It

One would think that the Editors who have their names associated with these articles would care. It seems not.

January 1, 2014 at 2:51 am |
  13. tallulah13

I hope that the Supreme Court respects the separation of church and state and denies this request.

December 31, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
    • InDogWeTrust

"Separation of church and state" currently means almost exactly the opposite of what it originally meant.
      First Amendment, includes the guarantee for "the free exercise of religion".

December 31, 2013 at 9:03 pm |
      • InDogWeTrust

"Gentlemen, – The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me on behalf of the Danbury Baptist Association give me the highest satisfaction. . . . Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God; that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship; that the legislative powers of government reach actions only and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should...

... "make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.

.... Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties. I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and Creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association as*urances of my high respect and esteem."

December 31, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
        • InDogWeTrust

– Thomas Jefferson

December 31, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
        • tallulah13

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes.

-Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, Dec. 6, 1813.

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

January 1, 2014 at 2:44 am |
      • raforrester

Not sure of your point. They are asking the Supreme Court to deny their employees the right to the free exercise of religion, and allow Catholic organizations to impose Catholic beliefs on their non-Catholic employees. It would set a precedent that would allow some religions to deprive employees of transfusions, vaccines, transplants, etc. This is a no-brainer. Allow the employees to full health care, and let them choose to follow their own religions' beliefs.

December 31, 2013 at 9:24 pm |
    • feudi pandola

This decision is a tribute to the separation of church and state.

January 1, 2014 at 11:21 am |
  14. MLH

So tired of idiots.

December 31, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • EIEIO

If you get rid of your mirros, you won't have to look at one.

December 31, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
      • Chip

He should get rid of reflective things so he doesn't have to see himself because he is such an idiot or something.

December 31, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
        • MLH

You should try so hard to be witty....you failed miserably.

December 31, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
      • MLH

Aw. Aren't you such a cute widdle boy. Mommy loves you.

December 31, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
  15. Pink Salmon

Hey look at their funny party hats in the photo. Yeah that'd be fun on new years: a party of a group of fat old guys in purple hats and shape hiding dresses. Not.

December 31, 2013 at 7:39 pm |
    • Chip

They look like they are wearing party hats or something. "Hey, where is pin the tail on the donkey or something?"

December 31, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
  16. Arthur Pruty

It sure seems that the Pope is the Ronald McDonald of Catholicism, just the image, because this is not in line with what he has been saying.

December 31, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • raforrester

It does not say whether the Pope approved of this request, just some Catholic organizations.

December 31, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
  17. Abunch of

old fundies in pic above that are full of BS !

December 31, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • lol??

The Roman Catholic Circle is not run by fundies, you idiot. They are pwogwessives.

January 1, 2014 at 11:55 am |