home
RSS
January 8th, 2014

Holy Hitchhiker: Pope gives pal a ride on the Popemobile

By Daniel Burke, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN) - In yet another breach of normal papal protocol, Pope Francis on Wednesday gave a pal a lift on the world's most exclusive ride: the Popemobile.

According to Catholic News Service, the holy hitchhiker was the Rev. Fabian Baez, a priest from Francis' former Archdiocese of Buenos Aires, whom the pope spotted in the crowd at St. Peter's Square.

As he helped the priest onto the Popemobile, Francis told Baez, "The picture will go around the world,” CNS reports. The beaming priest rode around St. Peter's Square and was given a special seat at the Pope's speech to the crowd.

During the Pope's speech, he urged the crowd to remember their baptism.

"Many of us do not have the slightest memory of the celebration of this Sacrament, obviously, if we were baptized shortly after birth," Francis said. "It is important! It is important to know what day you were immersed in that current of salvation of Jesus!"

Baez later tweeted in Spanish, “I’m going to change my biography. The poor priest who got on the popemobile today with #PopeFrancis”.

Mark another point for the "Pope of the people."

Pope Francis' greatest hits of 2013

- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • Pope Francis

1. reasonablebe

he seems like a pretty regular guy, this pope. not so into trappings, power and appearances, wealth. breath of fresh air- and i am not catholic.

January 8, 2014 at 8:10 pm |
  2. Journey

You would never see some of these evangelical nutcases in the U.S. doing this sort of stuff, all they do is sell books and get in the pulpit and hit a few talking points; (1.) earth is 6000 years old, (2.) men need to "man up", (3.) women need to submit, (4.) everyone outside of our church is going to hell, (5.) don't forget to tell you gay friends they are going to hell (5.) vote GOP. It gets old after a while.

January 8, 2014 at 7:56 pm |
    • JJ

I'm not sure which sect of the Christian cult is more harmful, Talibangelicals or Catlicks.

January 8, 2014 at 8:43 pm |
  3. Jesse

The Pope has a very big heart that that's whats needed in this world instead of politics, but not everybody's not that nice and may want to hurt him because he's so open. I hope the people under him can protect him.

January 8, 2014 at 7:46 pm |
  4. JJ

I just breathlessly await the next amazing feat this guy does.

January 8, 2014 at 7:42 pm |
  5. Carlos

This pope is as Latino as you can get. With sense of humor and good predisposition everything is possible.

January 8, 2014 at 7:40 pm |
  6. Totes Magotes

GOD DAMN I LOVE THIS MAN....oooops! forgive me father for I have sinned ...he ...he

January 8, 2014 at 7:40 pm |
  7. Juan V.

I love being Christian Catholic! To my fellow brothers and sisters, who hate and post negativity, I pose the question..."Would you rather read about another school shooting in our schools?" "What about another war, conflict, or nuclear siting?" Pope Francis is only demonstrating, acting upon love, hope, harmony, peace...and you haters still want to shed light on negativity, evil, hate. I LOVE BEING CATHOLIC; please pray for me as all Christians pray for you and your negativity.

January 8, 2014 at 7:38 pm |
    • djjimi

I'm glad you love being Catholic. Me, on the other hand, am ecstatic that I'm a recovered Catholic. That said, this new Pope is awesome.

January 8, 2014 at 7:42 pm |
    • Monkemon

What pope did was worse the school shooting.

January 8, 2014 at 7:42 pm |
    • doobzz

I'd rather see an article about the pope turning the child molesters that the RCC has been hiding for decades over to the proper civil authorities for investigation. Pictures of him hugging kids and tooling around in his armored car are less impressive.

January 8, 2014 at 10:13 pm |
  8. mark

this not casey anthoney or even m jackson. It is the pope. so many of u...c thru faded,super jaded, out of ur mind. go camping. take a trip to CO. open doors for old folks. fix ur hearts.

January 8, 2014 at 7:37 pm |
  9. Buglebutt

So the F what?? I'm sick of hearing about his every move.

January 8, 2014 at 7:29 pm |
    • Totes Magotes

:-(( turn that frown upside down mr magoo

January 8, 2014 at 7:44 pm |
    • Rockowirtz

Why did you click on the article and then comment? Seems it was more important to you than you are letting on.....

January 8, 2014 at 7:45 pm |
      • Buglebutt

Only clicked on it to say how ridiculous the topic of this "article" is, and how tired I am of seeing and hearing about his every move on CNN. Don't read into it more than just that.

January 8, 2014 at 7:48 pm |
        • mountainlady

Gee, :I guess you're right. Much more enlightening to read about hatred, anger and cruelty than to read about a man who is using a position of power and influence to spread warmth, love and hope. He should be ashamed of himself.

January 8, 2014 at 7:54 pm |
    • hannah1

Really? I'm SICK of hearing about Miley Cyrus, the Kardashians and that disgusting Honey Boo Boo thing. I'm sure there's a reason you're proud to be known as buglebutt. Gross.

January 8, 2014 at 7:46 pm |
      • Buglebutt

Oh yes, and I too am sick of Miley and the Kartrashians as well. If I had to choose, I guess this article would top those.

January 8, 2014 at 7:50 pm |
  10. jyves95

>> The poor priest who got on the popemobile today with #PopeFrancis

I wonder how many poor people can afford a trip Buenos Aires – Roma... Did he walk or hitchhiked all the way from Argentina to Italy?

January 8, 2014 at 7:28 pm |
  11. One one

What's next ? A story about how much time he spends in the bathroom ?

January 8, 2014 at 7:26 pm |
    • Rockowirtz

What's next? You blame the tv for the channel you put it on?

January 8, 2014 at 7:47 pm |
  12. JesusChrist Son of God Son of Mary Brother to the Holy Ghost

From above 'As he helped the priest onto the Popemobile, Francis told Baez, "The picture will go around the world,”'

So this is the reason that the pope did this. Publicity. What don't we see some news about what he is doing to get rid of abused priest and insuring they don't get retirement benefits?

January 8, 2014 at 7:21 pm |
    • JDD

It sure was dumb of the Pope to undermine his 'propaganda plan' ... you know, by saying it out loud where it could be easily heard.

January 9, 2014 at 12:44 am |
  13. One one

I wonder what his base salary is, along with his bonus and stock options.

January 8, 2014 at 7:20 pm |
  14. andrealp43

I love him. I'm not even Catholic, but I think he is so cool. People need to see a great man like this that cares for the people!

January 8, 2014 at 7:19 pm |
    • mark

thanks, simple and true

January 8, 2014 at 7:41 pm |
    • doobzz

A "great" man who has done nothing to help the thousands of children abused by priests.

January 8, 2014 at 10:18 pm |
  15. One one

Has he given any of his friends a ride on his yacht yet ?

January 8, 2014 at 7:18 pm |
  16. JesusChrist Son of God Son of Mary Brother to the Holy Ghost

Another publicity stunt. When is this going to stop? Plus, only someone with a pea brain would take a ride in the pimp mobile.

January 8, 2014 at 7:16 pm |
  17. David V.

Thank you God for the ability to forgive others.

January 8, 2014 at 7:15 pm |
  18. cleareye1

This pope is OK. Now if he will just recognize the equality of all people for all purposes. Also, it would help if he stopped the ridiculous rules for priests that encourage child abuse.

January 8, 2014 at 7:12 pm |
  19. One one

A guy gives a friend a ride. This is news ?

January 8, 2014 at 7:11 pm |
    • Rockowirtz

Wow, numerous comments. Looks like it was pretty important news to you.

January 8, 2014 at 7:51 pm |