home
RSS
Ken Ham: Why I'm debating Bill Nye about creationism
Bill Nye and Ken Ham will debate the origins of life Tuesday at the Creation Museum.
February 3rd, 2014

Ken Ham: Why I'm debating Bill Nye about creationism

Editors note: Ken Ham will debate Bill Nye on February 4 at the Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky, with CNN's Tom Foreman moderating. The debate will be livestreamed at CNN.com at 7 pm ET, and Piers Morgan Live will interview Ham and Nye on Tuesday at 9 ET.

WATCH TUESDAY NIGHT'S DEBATE HERE: http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/cvplive/cvpstream1.html

Opinion by Ken Ham, special to CNN

(CNN) - Public debates on evolution and creation have become increasingly rare. Several hundred well-attended debates were held in the 1970s and 1980s, but they have largely dried up in recent decades.

So I look forward to a spirited yet cordial debate on Tuesday with Bill Nye, the "Science Guy" of television fame.

I also look forward to the opportunity to help counter the general censorship against creationists' view of origins. While we are not in favor of mandating that creation be taught in public school science classes, we believe that, at the very least, instructors should have the academic freedom to bring up the problems with evolution.

Even though the two of us are not Ph.D. scientists, Mr. Nye and I clearly love science.

As a former science instructor, I have appreciated the useful television programs that he hosted and produced, especially when he practiced operational science in front of his audience.

He and I both recognize the wonderful benefits that observational, operational science has brought us, from cell phones to space shuttles. But operational science, which builds today’s technology, is not the same as presenting beliefs about the past, which cannot be tested in the laboratory.

For students, the evolution-creation discussion can be a useful exercise, for it can help develop their critical thinking skills.

MORE ON CNN: Bill Nye: Why I'm Debating Ken Ham

Most students are presented only with the evolutionary belief system in their schools, and they are censored from hearing challenges to it. Let our young people understand science correctly and hear both sides of the origins issue and then evaluate them.

Our public schools arbitrarily define science as explaining the world by natural processes alone. In essence, a religion of naturalism is being imposed on millions of students. They need to be taught the real nature of science, including its limitations.

Nye, the host of a popular TV program for children, should welcome a scrutiny of evolution in the classrooms.

As evolution-creation issues continue to be in the news - whether it relates to textbook controversies or our debate - there is an increasingly bright spotlight on the research activities of thousands of scientists and engineers worldwide who have earned doctorates and are creationists.

On our full-time staff at Answers in Genesis, we have Ph.D.s in astronomy, geology, biology, molecular genetics, the history of science, and medicine. Yes, creationists are still a small minority in the scientific community, but they hold impressive credentials and have made valuable contributions in science and engineering.

I remember the time I spoke at a lunchtime Bible study at the Goddard Space Flight Center near Washington. I was thrilled to meet several scientists and engineers who accept the book of Genesis as historical and reject Darwinian evolution. They shared with me that a belief in evolution had nothing to do with their work on the Hubble Space Telescope. Why should our perspective about origins be censored?

Our young people and adults should be aware that considerable dissent exists in the scientific world regarding the validity of molecules-to-man evolution.

It’s an important debate, for what you think about your origins will largely form your worldview. If you believe in a universe that was created by accident, then there is ultimately no meaning and purpose in life, and you can establish any belief system you want with no regard to an absolute authority.

Ultimately, I have decided to accept an authority our infallible creator and his word, the Bible over the words of fallible humans.

Ken Ham is founder and CEO of Answers in Genesis (USA) and founder of the Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky. The views expressed in this column belong to Ham.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Creationism • Culture wars • Evolution • Opinion • Science

soundoff (4,336 Responses)
  1. Elementary darling

creationism is even funnier than plain old monotheism. But it is actually VERY SCARY that so many Humans believe in god deities and living after they die...SAD 🙁

February 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm |
    • JK

And what is it that is "VERY SCARY" to you? Especially if it's all a bunch of silliness?

February 5, 2014 at 1:22 pm |
  2. snowboarder

one fact is indisputable, that as knowledge has increased nearly all things once attributed to supernatural origins have been determined to have a natural cause. the realm of the supernatural is a constantly shrinking area of ignorance simply waiting for the determination of that natural cause.

February 5, 2014 at 1:17 pm |
    • Crashman

I guess that's God's will.

February 5, 2014 at 1:21 pm |
      • snowboarder

@crash, i really did laugh out loud at that one.

February 5, 2014 at 1:22 pm |
    • Truth follower

Snowboarder, through technological advancements, we now can see how truly sophisticated a single cell is. Do you believe that intelligence (such as the info in an amoeba) can come from non intelligence?

February 5, 2014 at 2:31 pm |
  3. Crashman

Why should I listen to a guy who builds a museum that shows a caveman riding a dinosaur? He's obviously completely out of touch with reality.

February 5, 2014 at 1:15 pm |
    • JK

Why should I listen to a guy who wears bow ties? He is obviously completely out of touch with fashion.

February 5, 2014 at 1:21 pm |
      • cedar rapids

if he was talking about fashion then you shouldnt.

February 5, 2014 at 2:56 pm |
  4. Dianne

Man and dinosaurs coexisted on the Flintstones, and in Jurassic Park, but that's it.
    And 40 days and 40 nights on a boat with lions and tigers, and don't forget the beluga whales. Sounds almost as bad as the recent Carnival cruises.

February 5, 2014 at 1:11 pm |
  5. Shmoo

Anybody who really believes in "Creationism" is mentally challenged. They are incapable of actually thinking logically.

February 5, 2014 at 12:58 pm |
    • compms

And such is the difference in our perspectives. Your's leads you to degrade me and look down on me. Mine (creation) leads me to never call you a name, for I want you to know about how good God is, though you slap me, I'll turn the other cheek and not revile back, for you must learn of our wonderful Savior Jesus Christ!

February 5, 2014 at 1:10 pm |
      • snowboarder

@com, that's just you. there are plenty here that call nonbelievers vile names and i can't count the number of times posters have suggested that a lack in a belief in their god meant one is immoral.

February 5, 2014 at 1:13 pm |
        • Crashman

Like the story that was on here a few weeks ago about the "10 most godless cities in the US", saying that those places are immoral and need to have God in their lives. I've found (through traveling) that some of the most unchristianlike behavior can be found in so-called Christian communities. Racist, anti-women, anti-gay, anti-poor people.

February 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm |
      • Dianne

But passive aggressive is ok? Got it.

February 5, 2014 at 1:13 pm |
      • visitor

You have the truth, others don't. Got it. We are all sinful creatures that your ministry is going to save from...what exactly? Oh that's right, what you fear for others which is I guess, h-ll. Got it. That rather looks down on others doesn't it? I consider that story being preached to kids child abuse, not love. It is abusive teaching them that a devil is trying to steal their souls and pull them into an eternal hades. Why would anyone teach children that?

Then well, if I am to maybe understand...

I am not to believe that a loving and just g-d wiped out the caanonites to make room for a tribe that was stuck living in the desert. I am not to believe that the bible is full of references to females being a lesser class than males, and I am not to believe that all humans were created faultily, or, eve and adam disobeyed god by eating an apple of the tree of knowledge and were cast out of eden and made to wear clothes and eve gets stuck with menstrual cramps.

I need to look at the deeper meaning, I need to think about it and twist it over and over and over again until it is no longer ugly, it makes sense, and I am now cleansed by the holy spirit and the rest of those unwashed masses, aren't. I am chosen. I am saved.

For the unilateral, humans were created with a major fault called free will and when they exercised it, doomed the entire human species to be born out of the unclean v-a-ginal chute with a huge debt of sin already in place which needs to be paid by a polytheistic sortof son of g-d who is really g-d or else, hades fire awaits.

It is just so beautiful. I think I'll go menstruate on it and make the entire village unclean. Watch out for the blood puddles dear I wouldn't want you to have to sit in a cleansing hut for a week. Oh that was literal. I guess menstrual blood meant...ummm...how awful women were just because they are women. No wonder they are told to shut up in the bible.

February 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm |
        • compms

Well, this is much like the debate last night. You obviously know at least know some of the face value facts. But your interpretation of them is much different than mine. I see a glorious, glorious picture of God and His plan to reveal Himself to mankind, to give us a second chance, and to love us with a love that is past our understanding. So instead of addressing how each of your points about the Bible is not biblical, I'll just leave you with this: I've never met you, but I love you and I hope that you will take nothing in life at face value, but dig deep! 'there is a way that seems right to a man, but it's end is the way of death' -Proverbs 14:12

February 5, 2014 at 2:40 pm |
        • visitor

Oh its not too hard. I think you give others little credit for knowing more than the people who are supposed to know this stuff. I am continually stunned by how few Christians actually read the entire bible and need some dude to tell them what to think. Doesn't say much for Christians now does it.

I am glad you believe in love, I just wish you REALLY believed in its power which isn't dependent on some freaky jealous man-god and some devilish deal that belongs in myth land. Peace.

February 5, 2014 at 2:59 pm |
    • Bart

Dear Shmoo, you're actually proving Ken Ham's point. Instead of making factual statements to support evolution or engage in an intelligent debate, you deride the other point of view and seek to shut down the discussion. You are taking precisely the same approach as the Darwinian evolution proponents whom Ham is referring to in his message. That we should not teach our children to think critically about science, but should basically indoctrinate them and shut down any discussion.

February 5, 2014 at 1:27 pm |
      • bubba

Creationism was discussed for decades in the 19th century. It *lost*. Alchemy, numerology, phrenology and astrology are no longer discussed in science because they have no predictive value. Creationism is of the same ilk. So, it is censored for the same reasons alchemy, numerology, phrenology, astrology are *censored*. They have no predictive value.

February 5, 2014 at 1:53 pm |
      • cedar rapids

Anytime someone says I dismiss your science and replace it with my magic then yes, they should be derided.

February 5, 2014 at 2:58 pm |
    • Just The Facts

Shmoo... And what is your "logic" worth if it sends your soul to hell. I'd much rather be mentally challenged and make it to heaven, than to follow my logic and spend eternity in the lake...

February 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm |
  6. DDay

Regarding the statement, "Public debates on evolution and creation have become increasingly rare. Several hundred well-attended debates were held in the 1970s and 1980s, but they have largely dried up in recent decades." Do you want to know why, Mr. Ham? Because over time people have gotten smarter. They have evolved. End of debate. You're welcome.

February 5, 2014 at 12:58 pm |
  7. Divdar

So, I was watching the History Channel on Ancient Aliens. Lots of hard evidence that refutes evolution. It amazes me that that is considered science and creationism isn't, even though they theorize and advocate the same thing.

February 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm |
    • Shmoo

So please enlighten us with all your scientific evidence supporting Creationism.

And Ancient Aliens is not real science, FYI.

February 5, 2014 at 12:59 pm |
    • snowboarder

@div, i have to assume your post is a joke. nobody can really be that stupid.

February 5, 2014 at 1:01 pm |
    • 867-5309

Ancient Aliens isn't considered science; good grief.
      All the HC did was substi.tute aliens for god, and voila!

February 5, 2014 at 1:02 pm |
  8. bubba

Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon religion, who claimed to have been given the Golden Tablets by the Angel Moroni and wrote about ancient civilizations in north America is considered a total clown since there is NO evidence to support his statements. Now suppose magically moved Jesus or Moses to the 19th century and they made their claims. How would they be seen? My guess ... as clowns just like Joseph Smith. Sorry, but idiocies from 100 years ago or 2000 years ago are still idiocies.

February 5, 2014 at 12:52 pm |
  9. Almighty3201

Stick that in your evolutionary pipe and smoke it!!!!

February 5, 2014 at 12:51 pm |
    • Shmoo

Stick what in? That that Ham guy made a fool of himself and had NOTHING to support his wacky views? Okay.

February 5, 2014 at 1:01 pm |
      • Almighty3201

Nye got smoked, he looked like the fool he is!

February 5, 2014 at 2:24 pm |
        • cedar rapids

were you watching a different debate to everyone else?

February 5, 2014 at 2:59 pm |
  10. Jim Southworth

i grew up in a christian home, and went to a christian school. So i had the reverse experience to what Mr. Ham referenced last night. All I was taught was creationism. It never made a lot of sense to me, despite the fact that I embraced the christian faith, and attended seminary, earning a Masters in Theology from Dallas Theological Seminary. After several years in ministry, i left my career and my faith, and am now an attorney. though I still do not have any level of scientific education, I can say that from a purely apologetic perspective, creationism is lacking.

February 5, 2014 at 12:51 pm |
    • Almighty3201

Brother it's not lacking, keep up the faith, don't let this evil wicked world distort your faith! There are answers. John 16:13 tells us the Holy Spirit will guide you into ALL truth! If you have faith and pray and read your bible earnestly and sincerely God will reveal these truths to you! If you are saved, trust in the Lord!

February 5, 2014 at 12:54 pm |
      • snowboarder

@mighty, that is all just a bit loony.

February 5, 2014 at 1:00 pm |
      • igaftr

You may believe that god inspired your bible, but considering all of the problems that belief in your book has caused thoughout history ( wars, torture, murders, faster spread of disease, attempted genocides, justification for slavery and bigotry...all because of belief in the bible) it is far more likely that satan inspired it. You have been deceived.

February 5, 2014 at 1:00 pm |
  11. Almighty3201

I wish people would see the overwhelming evidence and science in the bible. The oldest book in the bible is Job. If we "Christians" aren't scientific and don't belong in science than why does God tell us in the book of Job ch. 38 about the Pleiades and Orion? If this is such an archaic book, how is it they knew of these astronomy features without modern teloscopy? My KJ 1611 also point out in Hebrews 11:3 ".....the worlds were framed by the WORD of God, so that the things that are SEEN were not made of things which do APPEAR" (sounds like a molecular level to me) or how about 2 Peter 3:12 which tells us "..........coming of the day of GOD (second advent Christs return), wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the ELEMENTS shall melt with fervent heat?" Please explain to me how the writers of a 1611 bible knew the smallest most basest things which comprise ALL organic and inorganic material? This is just the surface of the scien contained within the bible.

February 5, 2014 at 12:49 pm |
    • Shmoo

Good grief. Ancient Middle Eastern Fairy Tales prove nothing. Are you serious?

February 5, 2014 at 1:02 pm |
      • Almighty3201

You missed the whole point. Let me re-explain it a little slllloooooooooowwwer....... how could a bible we know existed at least 400 years ago (1611 KJV Bible) contain modern terminology we have only come to know in about the last 100 years? This alone should prove make you at least question your own doubts of God!

February 5, 2014 at 2:17 pm |
        • cedar rapids

The term 'elements' is not a new term. It used to be the elements were 'earth, air, fire, water and spirit'.

February 5, 2014 at 3:06 pm |
    • snowboarder

@mighty, you really should stretch before you grasp so strenuously at straws. you might injure yourself.

February 5, 2014 at 1:06 pm |
      • Almighty3201

Yeah because evolution doesn't grasp at any straws? WE still have yet to see one transitional species in existence! Not one transitional fossil has ever been PROVEN only postulated and hypothesized! Looks like straws everywhere! Keep dreaming my friend!

February 5, 2014 at 2:28 pm |
    • Crashman

Other Christians on these boards have said to disregard the Old Testament and focus on the New. Now here you are quoting the Old. I'm so confused. So you can or should not eat shellfish, or make clothing of mixed fabrics, or sell your daughter into slavery?

February 5, 2014 at 1:29 pm |
    • bubba

Hey, bozo, the junk you are quoting was translated to English a few hundred years ago. The original fairy tales were written in Greek, or whatever, and were passed down by word-of-mouth and stretched with every retelling until they were written down. So, how do you know the original Bible, if such thing ever existed, mentions ... elements?

February 5, 2014 at 1:33 pm |
      • Almighty3201

They didn't know about elements 400 yrs ago that's the point! Boy you people just cannot accept truth or possibility in anything!

February 5, 2014 at 2:12 pm |
    • cedar rapids

'If we "Christians" aren't scientific and don't belong in science than why does God tell us in the book of Job ch. 38 about the Pleiades and Orion? If this is such an archaic book, how is it they knew of these astronomy features without modern teloscopy?'

Er because they can be seen by the naked eye and were given their names by the ancient greeks?

February 5, 2014 at 3:11 pm |
  12. Geo Bruno

God?

The one who said

If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die.(Deuteronomy 22:22)

February 5, 2014 at 12:45 pm |
    • compms

this was a tutor to bring you to Christ (Gal.2:20). The law was to teach us our sin, that we if we commit adultery, which Jesus said if you look lustfully after a woman you've committed adultery in your heart (Matthew 5), then we are guilty of wrongdoing and deserve punishment before a holy righteous God that also loved you enough to die for the punishment of your sins, all you must do is believe He did!

February 5, 2014 at 12:50 pm |
      • Geo Bruno

Luke 16:18
        Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery. (So Says Jesus)

February 5, 2014 at 12:55 pm |
      • Almighty3201

Amen brother!

February 5, 2014 at 12:55 pm |
      • Geo Bruno

Matthew 5:17 he said, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

February 5, 2014 at 12:57 pm |
        • compms

that's right, so now we don't have to keep trying to be good to be accepted by God (b/c we can't anyway, we're bad even when we try to be good Isaiah 64:6 Romans 3 etc), but now thanks to Christ being perfect and fulfilling the law He can make atonement for our sins with His wrath-drenched blood, and now I can help but do good (though not perfectly), I actually want to help people now, love them, be forgiving to my enemies, so forth

February 5, 2014 at 1:02 pm |
      • snowboarder

@com, that is some crazy stuff.

February 5, 2014 at 12:58 pm |
        • compms

crazy good, the more your read, the more crazy good you'll find!

February 5, 2014 at 1:00 pm |
        • snowboarder

@com, not crazy good. just crazy and only perpetuated by a combination of indoctrination, coercion and groupthink.

February 5, 2014 at 1:19 pm |
        • visitor

Blood sacrifice to the angry g-d. Apparently sacrificing children to Baal was such a good idea G-d took it but only used his own son, to be you know, fair, which seems a bit silly because he didn't care that much about all those other kids or the firstborn of the Egyptians but why split hairs? However, it really wasn't a son, it was him, who knew he was immortal anyways, so it really calls into question the amount sacrifice in the first place. Anyhoo, the blood sacrifice of the lord enabled clueless people to care about others because heck, who could have figured out that being good to each other was a good thing all on their own? We did after all get cursed with free will. It is just so beautiful!

February 5, 2014 at 2:05 pm |
      • OTOH

Ah, the book of "Matthew" where the guy(s) who wrote it said that resurrected people rose from their tombs and went into the 'holy' city and were seen by many - which NOBODY reported EVER (not even the other tellers of the legends)?

February 5, 2014 at 12:58 pm |
        • compms

It was a great testimony that when Christ rose from the dead He made the way possible for our dead souls to raise from the dead too!

February 5, 2014 at 1:00 pm |
        • OTOH

"Great testimony"?

GMAB

February 5, 2014 at 1:13 pm |
      • Geo Bruno

God SAYS the above SHOULD BE PUT TO DEATH

DO YOU AGREE

February 5, 2014 at 3:19 pm |
    • Just The Facts

Geo... That's funny. That same God also said the following...

2 Peter 2:12 – But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

1 Corinthians 2:14 – But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Ti-tus 1:15 – Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled...

February 5, 2014 at 1:38 pm |
      • Geo Bruno

And again
        Lev 20:10
        And the man that committeth adultery with [another] man's wife, [even he] that committeth adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." (Leviticus 25:44-45)

YOU ARE GOING TO HELL IF YOU....

...eat fruit from a tree less than five years old. [Lev. 19:23]

...collect interest on a loan. [Ex. 22:24]

...insult a leader. [Ex. 22:27]

...mistreat a foreigner. [Ex. 22:21, 23:9]

February 5, 2014 at 3:15 pm |
      • Geo Bruno

And
        YOU ARE GOING TO HELL IF YOU....

...eat fruit from a tree less than five years old. [Lev. 19:23]

...bear a grudge. [Lev. 19:17]

...collect interest on a loan. [Ex. 22:24]

...insult a leader. [Ex. 22:27]

...mistreat a foreigner. [Ex. 22:21, 23:9]

February 5, 2014 at 3:16 pm |
  13. snowboarder

hamm's first mistake is assuming that the "bible" is anything more than a collection of myths and fables of primitive men, the same as the religious texts of any religion.

February 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm |
    • nick

In an attempt to bring a little objectivity to the discussion, it may interest you to know that Darwin was a very religious man and saw no contradiction between religion & evolution & frankly neither do I. Keep in mind that both are theories & just because you can't prove the existence of it does not negate it. If one accepts the possibility of a higher being then why couldn't he use that which is part of what he created to insure its longevity or for that matter use a big bang to initially create it? Arguing about which one is right is a bit like 2 fleas arguing about who owns the dog they both live on. Why don't you both agree to respect each other and stop getting your shorts in a big knot because you can't accept the other's point of view? Peace be with you both ( :

February 5, 2014 at 1:13 pm |
      • snowboarder

@nick, your sentiment is a far cry from a literal interpretation of the bible. is there some enti ty in the universe that we might label a god? possibly. does that enti ty resemble the christian myths? not a chance.

February 5, 2014 at 1:25 pm |
      • visitor

Because the religious want to drag the myths into science class, that's why.

February 5, 2014 at 2:08 pm |
  14. JSmith

If Ken Ham can show me how a star 11+ million light years away can be seen exploding today in a 6000 year old universe, I will believe his "historical science". A few weeks ago a star in the Cigar galaxy was seen going supernova.. There it was right before our telescopes exploding. It took the light from that star 11+ million years traveling at the speed of light to get here. So basically this star exploded 11+ million years ago and we now see it today. This is not possible in a 6000 year old universe at all. There is no viable theory on how this light would get here in 6000 years. Yet this is one of hundreds of stars we see exploding every year in the universe, some billions of light years away.

February 5, 2014 at 12:40 pm |
    • JK

So the speed of light has always been what we observe it to be today?

February 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm |
      • In Santa we trust

Do you have evidence that it hasn't?

February 5, 2014 at 12:43 pm |
      • ecarlson1961

Yes, actually, the fine structure constant, which is a combination of factors including the speed of light, was the same when light left distant galaxies as it is now (to better than one part per million). Also, if you try to explain this in terms of changing speed of light, the resulting blue shift of light from distant stars would fry the Earth with deadly X-rays or gamma-rays. Fortunately, the speed of light has NOT changed since early times.

February 5, 2014 at 12:48 pm |
        • JK

Which is an argued conclusion, not a direct observation.

February 5, 2014 at 1:01 pm |
      • cedar rapids

And what natural process would cause it to speed up so that something 11 million light years away would take less than 6000 to get here?

February 5, 2014 at 3:14 pm |
  15. snowboarder

it is incredibly dishonest for hamm to suggest that christian creationism be allotted time in science class, because you can be certain that he would fight tooth and nail against the creation story of any other religion being given equal time.

February 5, 2014 at 12:39 pm |
    • BostonBob

I like the Greek stories, with the lighning bolts.

Or the one where the world sits on the back of a giant turtle.

At least pick a more exciting creation myth.

February 5, 2014 at 12:50 pm |
    • bubba

Zealots are always completely disingenuous. It's so obvious it's painful to watch them, but it's more painful to see people believe their deliberate, end-justifies-means, lies.

February 5, 2014 at 1:15 pm |
  16. Geo Bruno

I wish some folks posting here would be a little honest when they keep using the term creationism.

They really mean Christian creationism and ignore the many other religious variations of creationism, which there are many.

There's is not the only one

February 5, 2014 at 12:35 pm |
    • JK

The heart of the debate is "created" vs "happened"... regardless of the religious background.

February 5, 2014 at 1:06 pm |
      • cedar rapids

Come now, you know that is a false claim. If you told Hamm you were going to teach the Egyptian ejaculation creation myth do you really think to tell us he would be ok with that?

February 5, 2014 at 3:15 pm |
  17. Geo Bruno

When does KM explain plate tectonics?

February 5, 2014 at 12:33 pm |
  18. My 2¢

You know, when I was in college, I was determined to not “fall prey” to the “lies” of evolution. In my Historical Geology class I was constantly on guard against all the inconsistencies I noted. For my final project I gathered a stack of evolutionary works, planning to read their perspectives and refute them using Scripture. I was set!
    And I opened the first one.
    From the beginning it was not about science. There were no scientific arguments. It simply denied the truth of the Bible.
    And as I sat there in that library, the strangest thing happened: I saw it. I saw the simplicity and futility in belief of the Bible. With this new revelation came the greatest emptiness and dead feeling I could never describe.
    I shut the books and walked away like a zombie. I wanted to believe in God but knew it was pointless.
    But later that week I spoke, tongue in cheek, to the God I now knew didn’t exist.
    God, if you are there (although my mind knows you’re not) will you help me believe? I am going to foolishly continue to believe, so if by some wierd quirk you ARE, then, please help me somehow believe?!
    That weekend my brother was cleaning his closet and I looked through the hefty sack to rescue anything valuable to me. And there I saw it. An ancient worn out copy of the Morris classic, Scientific Creationism. I grabbed it like a life preserver and devoured it. God–whose name is I AM–showed me HE IS. No matter who knows He’s not!

February 5, 2014 at 12:30 pm |
    • Amit

you believe in god because you found a book in a pile of laundry?

February 5, 2014 at 12:45 pm |
      • God

IF you are foolish enough to believe that finding a book in laundry is a "sign from me" then you're foolish enough to believe in me!

February 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm |
    • snowboarder

@2cents, that sounds like a parody, as it seems too absurd to be true.

February 5, 2014 at 1:10 pm |
  19. Kent

A GUIDE FOR CREATIONISTS IN DEBATING EVOLUTIONARY SCIENCE

What to do:
    -Quote the bible endlessly.
    -Use words like "evidence," "demonstrate, "confirm," to make it seem like you are making a coherent argument based on real evidence.
    -Cherry-pick some influential Christian scientists to make the case that people can work within mainstream science and still be creationists.
    -Confuse people by creating terms like "historical" and "observational" science and define them in a sneaky way to try to discredit the very notion of learning about the past through the scientific method. Then try to insert biblical literalism into that void.
    -Take cheap shots at Darwin and poke holes in the undeveloped, unrefined theories he posed.
    -Drum up feelings of persecution among Christians by constantly presenting mainstream science as mean bullies that are scared to debate creationism and want to shove their beliefs down your children s throat. Use the word "impose" A LOT.
    -Call your opponents scientific theories "beliefs" and "conjectures" to try to put Creationism on an equal scientific footing.
    -Attempt to sneak around people's critical thinking and appeal to their emotions by talking about how depressing a worldview atheistic evolution is and how happy and wonderful a biblicalism is. Because after all, "don't we want to teach our kids that they are special, that Jesus died on the cross for them?" (That's pretty much a direct quote of Ham, and he felt it such a powerful point that it was pretty much the closing line of his big presentation)

What not to do:
    -Provide one shred of reliable, falsifiable, testable evidence that actually calls into question the foundational validity of evolution.

February 5, 2014 at 12:30 pm |
    • kent

i love this post for more reasons than one. 🙂

February 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm |
    • Just The Facts

That's real funny. Turn everything you said around and substiitute the word "Creationists" with "Evolutionists", and the results you get is precisely how I feel about the Evolutionists…

The reality is, it is the Evolutionists who don't have a shred of evidence to back up your claims and all you have are "theories" (and theories are not proof). Nor do you have any evidence that is not based on a theory …

You asked for "one shred of reliable, falsifiable, testable evidence that actually calls into question the foundational validity of evolution." That's easy. Answer: Jesus Christ. If Evolution had really happened then Jesus Christ would never have existed. The mere fact that Jesus Christ existed and came to earth is irrefutable proof that Evolution never happened and that God created the earth….

February 5, 2014 at 1:28 pm |
      • Crashman

Gravity is a theory as well. Do you dispute its existance because it's "just a theory"?

February 5, 2014 at 1:36 pm |
      • bubba

Blah. Blah. Blah. Just listening to you is enough to convert me if it shuts you up. Blah. Blah. Blah.

February 5, 2014 at 1:37 pm |
      • cedar rapids

' That's easy. Answer: Jesus Christ. If Evolution had really happened then Jesus Christ would never have existed. The mere fact that Jesus Christ existed and came to earth is irrefutable proof that Evolution never happened and that God created the earth….'

What? are you serious? what on earth kind of logic is that?
        truly bizarre.