home
RSS
February 26th, 2014

soundoff (1,555 Responses)
  1. bostontola

A new religion is coming to earth that is popular on another planet. It has a sacred book dictated by an all powerful, all knowing God. It is perfect. It instructs that all life is actually pure thought and there is no physical reality to the universe at all.

The members of this religion on other thought planets don't believe in physicality. When scientists on that thought planet found evidence of electrons and protons, quarks, photons, etc., the believers were shocked that the scientists would suggest such a thing.

The religion members advanced their own hypothesis that explained why the scientists thought electrons, etc actually existed. The scientists protested and presented reams of objective evidence validated by independent tests. The religious believers countered with an argument that pointed out that the scientists model of matter and energy was not yet complete, it couldn't explain whether quarks were particles or strings, or membranes. Since it couldn't definitively say what the elemental particles are, the matter/energy model that was tested, must be wrong, therefore the sacred book is right and no matter or energy exists, the universe is pure thought.

February 26, 2014 at 11:17 pm |
    • Dalahäst

I've been basically brainwashed to do whatever religion tells me, so I'm in. Where do I send my money and where do we meet? And do I support equal rights for gays, or deny them? Thanks. Looking forward to you telling me what I need to blindly accept.

February 27, 2014 at 12:34 am |
      • observernow

Dalahäst,

It seems that you are to oppose equal rights for gays since it appears that more Christians choose negative Bible verses about gays than those who choose the Golden Rule.

February 27, 2014 at 1:10 am |
        • Dalahäst

We aren't talking about Christianity. Do you ever think or talk about anything else?

February 27, 2014 at 1:27 am |
        • observernow

Dalahäst,

If you check the top of this page, you'll see the words "Belief Blog". Although you might not live in the United States, it's a reasonable guess that the majority of people commenting here do. As you may have found, the VAST MAJORITY of Americans claim they are Christians.

February 27, 2014 at 3:39 am |
        • Dalahäst

Yea. So, you are Christian, too?

February 27, 2014 at 10:31 am |
        • observernow

Dalahäst

I was raised as a Christian.

February 27, 2014 at 10:40 am |
      • bostontola

The comment isn't about brainwashing. It is about belief trumping objective evidence, belief distorting logic. The last sentence gives it away. It is an analogy, how a fallacious argument that since all aspects of a theory aren't complete, it is wrong. How if the theory is wrong, then my theory must be right. Doesn't that sound familiar to the fundamentalist position regarding evolution vs young earth Genesis?

February 27, 2014 at 6:56 am |

I was just joking.

And I got your joke, too. It was ok. Kinda silly.

February 27, 2014 at 10:21 am |
  2. Vic

Right move by Arizona Governor Jan Brewer vetoing Senate Bill 1062.

February 26, 2014 at 11:12 pm |
  3. Dalahäst

"The bigotry of the nonbeliever is for me nearly as funny as the bigotry of the believer." — Albert Einstein

My moment of Zen:

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrAPlgDzoUc&w=640&h=360]

February 26, 2014 at 10:46 pm |
    • colin31714

Any god being reading your mind lately, Dalahast? If not, how do you communicate with him?

February 26, 2014 at 11:10 pm |
      • Dalahäst

What if there is an intelligence greater than you? (I know, your ego makes it hard to imagine such a thing, but just try. Like, when you imagine I only believe in God "because the Bible says so" or whatever completely idiotic and false assumptions you express about me not based in fact, but your *faith*) And this intelligence can not be bullsh^tted. Like, you obviously bullsh^t yourself about being on the side that has to promote logic and reason. And you bullsh^t other people. No big deal. You don't have to take an honest look at yourself. And most likely you don't have the guts to do so...

....but say there is an intelligence you can't bs. And all your pride and arrogance from your knowledge you like to parade on religious blogs and use to tear down a group of people you hate is folly to that intelligence. Your knowledge just looks like dog sh^t to this greater intelligence.

What would you say to such an intelligence? It is logical to assume there are greater intelligences than you. And even intelligences that can see your superior actions as covering ups of a very scared, little insecure man. This intelligence doesn't blame you for acting like a bigot. It isn't impressed with your awesome opinions. But your capacity to love – that is what interests that intelligence.

When I pray, I express love to that Power that created me. I'm grateful for every moment for the meaning and purpose in my life. I used to have none. And I was pretty miserable. Now, no person can truly take away my serenity. I have peace and sleep well. I love much. And I fear no evil. And when God gives me His evidence, it is 100,000,000 times greater than any evidence a scientist discovers in a lab.

February 26, 2014 at 11:42 pm |
        • colin31714

Yeah, I pretty much figured by about midday yesterday that you were all fvcked up mentally. It is generally the most pathetic, the weakest and most disturbed who grasp for the last remaining straw in their life – a make believe God who will magically make everything OK. Well, bad news partner, as you yourself know deep down, he doesn't exist. Whatever troubles you have you are going to have to deal with them on your own.

February 26, 2014 at 11:49 pm |
        • Bob

Dalahast/AE, really, enough with the personal attacks. Seriously, look at what you are calling others throughout your post. It is downright insulting. Try instead for once to present something of substance instead of your typical shallow personal attacks, although I doubt that you can.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
          Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

February 26, 2014 at 11:52 pm |
        • Dalahäst

Yesterday you made some weird statement that I only believed because of what some bronze age ignorant people said...

...and that is when I realized you really don't know what you are talking about. And you seem to be just pasting the same little retorts. And not considering any ideas beyond your understanding. You can't be serious?

Oh, well, old dude. Have fun searching and refuting Christians on religious blogs and imagining you are being reasonable.

How are you not the bigot Einstein references? Can you answer that?

February 26, 2014 at 11:56 pm |
        • Dalahäst

Hey Bob, I'm sorry if I have insulted you.

You have done nothing but insult me, so it seems kind of hypocritical that you keep posting the same things over and over, while making personal insults.

How is it not? And how are you not the bigot Einstein references in his quote? Can you answer that, please?

February 26, 2014 at 11:58 pm |
        • Bob

And again, more personal attacks from AE/Dalahast. Hardly a surprise.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
          Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

February 27, 2014 at 12:00 am |
        • Dalahäst

Haha, Bob, you are ok. I'm starting to like his predictability. Very dependable. That is a good quality.

February 27, 2014 at 12:04 am |
        • Dalahäst

Bob, can you answer a question:

How are you not a nonbeliever bigot?

Like, for me, I strive to accept people of differing belief systems than me. I volunteer with secular programs that allow me to serve people of different backgrounds. I participate and serve at a church that fights for equal rights, especially for those that have no voice.

I love my atheist, Jewish, Muslim, Christian, non-religious, agnostic and Buddhist friends equally. I strive to understand them.

I am pretty tolerant. Except when it comes to bigotry and ignorance. And then I will take a stand. Especially if the person is saying things harmful about people I love.

How about you?

Can you answer the question?

Do they have anything on that website about such things as love and tolerance?

February 27, 2014 at 12:14 am |

Dala Loves Muslims, afterall he loves Allah

February 27, 2014 at 12:22 am |
        • Dalahäst

How about you, Blessed. Are there any steps or practices you follow to prevent yourself from following into the trap of being an example of a non-believer bigot?

Anyone can become a bigot. I get in the mindset sometimes. Certain spiritual practices can alleviate those problems.

Also, have you ever heard the phrase, you can't fix a sick mind with a sick mind? Like if one is a bigot, they probably won't be able to fix themselves. They may need some program or assistance. There are obviously some bigots on this blog, on both sides of the faith fence.

I really don't think you are a bigot. And despite our heated arguments, you really do offer respect. And I can be difficult to talk with. And, quite honestly, I'm often doing multiple things at one time when talking on here. So I talk more than I listen. One of my flaws. Sorry for being a pain. But, I'm a pain. So, there.

But really, how do you remain open-minded? Perhaps you can help the others (cough cough Colin Bob).

February 27, 2014 at 12:32 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Tolerance and respect are 2 completely different things.

February 27, 2014 at 12:40 am |
        • Dalahäst

Bigotry involves both disrespect and intolerance. Plus hate and prejudice.

February 27, 2014 at 12:42 am |
        • Dalahäst

People pose questions to me, very similar to the fashion I'm doing to others right now.

And when I don't answer to somebody's satisfaction, I hear "nice dodge" or "that was a non-answer".

"Look at him dance."

Hu. Interesting. Are they thinking to themselves "look at me dodge!"? Or is that some kind of double-standard they hold against someone they have a deep seeded prejudice against?

February 27, 2014 at 12:50 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

But to not respect a belief does not equat to being intolerant.

February 27, 2014 at 1:12 am |
        • Dalahäst

Do you tolerate bigotry by some people, because they oppose a belief held by people you don't respect?

And can people that hold that belief you don't respect, actually not be bigots. But you won't tolerate them because of a belief they hold?

Whoa, maybe you are a bigot? Did Einstein have someone like you in mind when he made that statement about non-believer bigots? Or do you not respect his belief either?

February 27, 2014 at 1:26 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Jesus was a bigot. You worship a bigot.

February 27, 2014 at 1:33 am |
        • Dalahäst

You are just a grumpy ol' bigot?

{a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)}

What does the scientific method applied to your "respect", which is just a *feeling*, compute out as? Rationalization for being obsessed with others' *beliefs*?

🙂 You are funny one.

Ok. For now on... I'm only listening to scientists about science, and only in regards to the discipline they have mastered. And listening to anti-theists who frequent belief blogs in regards about their personal mantras/philosophies.

February 27, 2014 at 1:40 am |
        • Dalahäst

How are you not a bigot?

February 27, 2014 at 1:42 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

OK, and I will only listen to your bigot god Jesus.

February 27, 2014 at 1:44 am |
        • Dalahäst

And I will give your God, your own personal, broad and general understanding of "science", a listen.

February 27, 2014 at 1:48 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

That describes Jesus to a T..

(T... get it?)

February 27, 2014 at 1:51 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

That reminds me of a cartoon I like.

(Imagine Jesus on the cross)

Now Sing,

"IF YOUR HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT CLAP YOUR HANDS"

February 27, 2014 at 1:54 am |
        • Dalahäst

Good ones. I hope Colin doesn't yell at you for using unoriginal material like he does for me.

Unless, that logical, magical, scientifically proven double standard allows him to reasonably ignore you doing something I am guilty of and deserve ridicule for.... since, you now. You guys share similar feelings, notions of disrespect, that make your non-scientist minds produce chemicals that convince your non-spiritual robot brains that logic and reason are on your side.

Talk about supernatural beings!

February 27, 2014 at 2:03 am |

Jesus....supernatural bigot.

February 27, 2014 at 2:07 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

How is Jesus not a bigot?

February 27, 2014 at 2:09 am |
        • Dalahäst

I don't find many people that describe Jesus as a bigot.

Usually, it is just some resentful, Christian-basher trying to insult someone. But, I'm sure they ran their feeling through *science* and turned them into fact based logic.

I see evidence of others being a bigot. That is pretty clear.

February 27, 2014 at 10:29 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"I don't find many people that describe Jesus as a bigot."

Jesus describes himself as a bigot. He is intolerant of anyone who does not accept his religious belief.

February 27, 2014 at 11:09 am |
        • joey3467

The simple fact that god would send everyone who doesn't believe in him to hell makes him a bigot, and also a hypocrite since god commands his followers to turn their other cheek.

February 27, 2014 at 12:37 pm |
        • Dalahäst

That is a simple fact. Do you have any evidence to back that up?

February 27, 2014 at 12:40 pm |
      • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Here is scientific evidence Jesus was a bigot.

February 27, 2014 at 9:09 am |

Good morning Cheesemakers
          Some cheese gets better with age and has a pleasant taste others not so good depending on the their character. Not sure why you are mocking Jesus on the cross other than there were two criminals next to Jesus and one mocked the other had respect for innocence. Jesus said to one today you will be with me and to the mocker he said nothing, Luke 23:39-43

Your bigot example is off target. If I proclaimed to say a college class that this weekend I am going on a trip you will never forget to a place you have never known. Anyone who wishes to follow must leave all his stuff and get in the bus waiting outside. Those who do not will only have what they know now and will die never knowing what wonder will be revealed.
          That is NOT a bigot but simply and offer out of love.

February 27, 2014 at 9:34 am |

fred,

Regarding mocking Jesus I do not view him as a diety, nor as a particularly great teacher. He had some good things to say, but he had a lot of bad advice as well, and then he was intolerant of people of differing religious belief. I have no problem mocking fictional characters.

And sacred cows make the best hambuger.

Regarding your analogy. So the people who decide not to go will never have experiences and gain knowledge on their own? They have to go with you in order to grow intellectually and have new experiences? That seems to imply that the person offering the trip is claiming to have the only path....and is intolerant of anyone who may hold a different opinion of what to do with their weekend. So my point holds.

Not to mention Jesus did not end at just saying those who did not follow would be left behind. He said they would be condemned, like holding a different religious view is a criminal act, sounds like "bigotry" to me. Nice try though.

February 27, 2014 at 10:16 am |

Cheesemaker
          Those who choose not to follow the teacher will experience and learn all they wish or are capable of experiencing on the way they so chose. Consider ignorance as not wanting to learn or know they will be ignorant of the things of God because of choice not because of the teacher who offered knowledge and wonder they would never know in their ignorance. The same goes for me if I chose to remain ignorant of the science concerning the flood or physics of walking on water or the biology of virgin birth etc.
          The tree of knowledge was knowledge of good and evil outside the presence of God. You continue to express great knowledge and understanding but all of it is outside the presence of God.
          If you mock Christ on the Cross because your soul (the core of who Cheesemaker really is i.e. your essence or the summation of character if you object to the use of the word soul) has a disconnect between a human crucified in contrast with Pluto stomping on Popye then Luke does not apply. However, if you in the slightest understand the human suffering 90% of the human population would see then you are exhibiting a very nasty side of the human condition.

February 27, 2014 at 10:33 am |
        • observernow

"if you object to the use of the word soul) has a disconnect between a human crucified"

According to the Bible, Jesus was only half-human. His mother was human, but his father wasn't.

February 27, 2014 at 10:36 am |
        • believerfred

Intolerance has nothing to do with my example. I offered the trip to everyone knowing full well that if I drag you on the bus kicking and screaming the experience for those who cannot wait to get on the bus would be diminished. You would not and could experience the wonder if you were bound and gaged so as not to be disruptive.
          Exactly what makes you believe that the little bugger who spits on the bus is justified in flipping everybody off as the bus departs? What do you exhibit as you kick dirt all the way back to your home bad mouthing those on the bus and the teacher? Who is the intolerant one?

February 27, 2014 at 10:40 am |

Blessed
          oops, make that could not experience the wonder.

February 27, 2014 at 10:56 am |

Observernow
          No, Jesus was fully man and fully God. God is not limited.

February 27, 2014 at 10:59 am |
        • observernow

If Jesus was all human, half of his DNA came from his father who was not human.

February 27, 2014 at 11:02 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I would say Jesus showed a very nasty side of the human condition...just because you have chosen to see everything he said and did as "good" doesn't make it so.

Regarding your "knowledge outside of god" premise. That makes sense if one accepts the mythology of Christianity. I don't. I have no reason to think that is anything more than "cult logic". And I am not being polemic in my use of the word "cult". I consider "cult logic" to be where a certain ideology or belief claims certainty and only through accepting that belief can one know "true" knowledge. But of course that can't be demonstrated to non-believers until they accept the belief. And non-believers cannot be taken seriously in their criticism of the belief BECAUSE they are non-believers adn do not have access to the "true" knowledge. It is religious babble. If you would like to have a real discussion you need to drop the "cult logic" with me. It doesn't fly.

February 27, 2014 at 11:06 am |

Blessed are the Cheesemakers
          Great, there was no "cult logic" in the bus example or little mini Cheesemaker walking away and flipping off those who got on the bus. I never said where the bus was going or what the wonder would be. Some walk away from expedition up Mt. Everest with a life changing experience after observing wonder. The teacher who invited everyone on the bus was not intolerant.

February 27, 2014 at 11:24 am |

observernow
          When God breathed life into man in His image he was not blowing nucleotides as life given was the image of God not the biology of God which does not conform to any known substance. It is silly to discuss DNA when addressing how the Holy Spirit and Mary had a baby.

February 27, 2014 at 11:34 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

fred, in you analogy you said...

"Those who do not will only have what they know now and will die never knowing what wonder will be revealed."

What that says is those who do not get on the bus will not, and cannot know the wonder on that trip, and it implies that they will not and cannot know wonder outside of taking that trip. It is a terrible analogy. Maybe another teacher has offered a trip to the student the same weekend? Maybe the student would like to attend that trip because in that students opinion that teacher has a better trip planned with better wonders? Jesus says his trip is the only trip worth taking and those who would choose a different trip are "condemned". That is bigotry.

February 27, 2014 at 11:38 am |
        • observernow

believerfred

"It is silly to discuss DNA when addressing how the Holy Spirit and Mary had a baby."

Yep. Apparently it's "silly" to ask a logical question related to the Bible that involves science.

February 27, 2014 at 11:39 am |

Blessed are the Cheesemakers
          The two journeys are not the same. One elects a life journey that is exclusive to atheists and the other elects a life journey that is exclusive to followers of Christ and both with die. You have condemned yourself by your exclusiveness to existence without God. Jesus did not make you reject any other possible path other than the one you chose. Jesus said neither do I condemn you now go and sin no more.

February 27, 2014 at 12:09 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"Jesus did not make you reject any other possible path other than the one you chose."

But he did say his path was the only correct path. And that he will reject those that choose another path. I am not made to accept it but I am rejected if I don't.

"Jesus said neither do I condemn you now go and sin no more."

And as I posted above that contradict that statement is...

Thereby showing the claimed teachings of Jesus are in contradiction and should be themselves rejected on that basis alone. Any perfect "being" would not be so convoluted.

February 27, 2014 at 12:34 pm |

Blessed are the Cheesemakers
          "But he did say his path was the only correct path."
          =>I am the way, the truth the life and no one comes to the Father but in me. Certainly it is the only way to the "Father" . Here we have the father son relationship demonstrated as to pathway. If I was going to take you to a special fishing hole you would need to follow my path. Well this is the way to unity or oneness where we are in Christ and Christ is God. By what logic or reason could anyone argue a different way. I have a path leading up to my front door, by what logic would you insist coming over to my house but entering through the window or fireplace?

"he will reject those that choose another path."
          =>no rejection involved, your way does not work. I think you have proven that because you cannot see God in all the ways you have tried. How about taking the way that has the light on it instead of stumbling in darkness?

" I am not made to accept it but I am rejected if I don't. "
          =>You are invited to the party yet you choose not to come down the pathway and insist on trampling my flower bed and flipping the bird at those inside. I fail to see how the host is at fault.

"Mark 16:14-16 – whoever does not believe will be condemned."
          =>we tried everything to get you inside but you choose to stomp in the flower bed and flip everyone off. The host is not trying to keep you out and is inside weeping over your pain that causes you to choose your way. The host has not condemned you rather you condemned yourself because you will not end this stubborn way of yours.
          Consider all the times the chosen ones in the Bible were blasted for being stiff necked. The story goes on over and over since Adam and Eve about this stubborn nature to insist upon my way not Yahweh

"teachings of Jesus are in contradiction"
          =>No, the woman in adultery was not condemned because of sin (it is forgiven) as she was just saved from her sinful ways. Now, go and sin no more was the following verse. She will do this thus not condemning herself to an existence without God. In the Mark verse we have a flat rejection of God and the way to God. They condemn themselves as long as they reject God.
          Your existence is without God you have condemned yourself to this existence by your free election for what ever reason you come up with. Condemnation can be present or future depending how long you persist in your stubbornness.

I use the word stubborn not to say you are such but that is how your posts would be couched in terms used in the Bible.

February 27, 2014 at 1:28 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

=>Here we have the father son relationship demonstrated as to pathway. If I was going to take you to a special fishing hole you would need to follow my path. Well this is the way to unity or oneness where we are in Christ and Christ is God. By what logic or reason could anyone argue a different way.

None if one accepts the premise of Christianity…I don’t

=>no rejection involved, your way does not work. I think you have proven that because you cannot see God in all the ways you have tried?

That is a fallacy. First you don’t know what I have tried. Second your reasoning suggests that unless one comes to the Christian conclusion they are therefore “doing it wrong”, otherwise they would have no choice but to agree. Which is a form of the “cult logic” I explained.

Choosing not to come to the party is not flipping the bird to anyone…the party sucks. The host gets angry if anyone doesn’t care for his party and he pouts about it.

"Mark 16:14-16 – whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Yeah you said that, a sure sign of an abusive relationship is when one side blames the other for everything. By the way I don’t think the host is real, so again your analogy never gets off the ground. I only used that bible quote to show you that Jesus is claimed to have said we are condemned to contrast your contention he didn’t. And you failed.

Condemn ourselves? Everything is our fault …got it…see above.
          And there you go, belief in anything else is not tolerated…you just proved Jesus is a bigot. My point stands.

=>Your existence is without God you have condemned yourself to this existence by your free election for what ever reason you come up with.

The only way Christianity makes sense is if I stop reasoning…but nice try.

February 27, 2014 at 2:44 pm |

Blessed
          Thank you, I am stumped. It appears that either you or I have a reasoning problem. Your reasoning is in line with others who do not see life as a spiritual journey in a physical existence yet my reasoning is not in line with Jesus who exemplified that spiritual journey. I am not in "the way" at the moment so I best not comment further. You have something of value to offer, I need to pause and see what it is that escapes me.
          Have a prosperous day !

February 27, 2014 at 4:54 pm |

fred,

I appreciate the discussion. I think you are an honest well meaning person. While I am harsh in my criticism of Christian theology I am not trying to do so out of spite to you personally.

February 27, 2014 at 9:32 pm |
    • realbuckyball

I believe in the the Church of the Green Cheese Moon. It deserves respect.

Not.

February 26, 2014 at 11:20 pm |

Do you drink a lot?

February 26, 2014 at 11:44 pm |
        • Bob

Yet more personal attacks from Dalahast. Enough already!

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
          Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

February 27, 2014 at 12:01 am |
        • Dalahäst

Why do you ignore others who make personal attacks?

But when I do it you make it into a production and announce to everyone who I am and what I'm doing?

How is that not being hypocritical?

Do you not see others making personal attacks? Or do you not mind because they are making personal attacks against someone you hate, so that makes it ok?

hypocrite. (1) A person who engages in the same behaviors he condemns others for

February 27, 2014 at 12:20 am |
        • realbuckyball

Not at all, dear.

February 27, 2014 at 12:43 am |
        • Dalahäst

Good, no offense. Sometimes your unique perspective makes me wonder...

Just a creative type, I see. You make me laugh.

February 27, 2014 at 12:45 am |
        • joey3467

Well Dala until you call out every single Christian that makes a personal attack you don't really have a leg to stand on.

February 27, 2014 at 12:42 pm |
        • Dalahäst

I'm here, hopping on one leg, saying "some of these guys are not as logical or reasonable as they imagine they are."

February 27, 2014 at 12:44 pm |
  4. Alias

'Is religion under attack in Arizona?'
    The question should be, "Is religion on the attack in Arizona?"

February 26, 2014 at 10:27 pm |
    • joey3467

The only thing under attack in Arizona is bigotry pretending to be religion.

February 27, 2014 at 12:43 pm |
  5. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

AZ SB 1062 was introduced by: AZ Senators Yarbrough: Barto and Worsley

Sen. Steven B. Yarbrough (R-21) Tax and Fiscal Policy Task Force and Sen. Nancy Barto (R-7), Health and Human Services Task Force have ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC).

ALEC (funded in part by the Koch Brothers*) is the organization that brought you draft model legislation AZ SB 1070 – the controversial anti-immigration measure to check the doc.umentation status of suspected aliens during a 'lawful' stop.

The Arizona legislature, with a heavy Republican majority, is a legislative machine and cranks out laws that most people find appalling.

From wikipedia
    * Koch Industries Inc. was one of 14 “Vice Chairman” level sponsors at ALEC's 2010 annual meeting, which requires a $25,000 donation. According to tax records, the Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation gave $75,858 to ALEC in 2009. ... According to the Center For Public Integrity, ALEC received $150,000 from Charles and David Koch in 2011 to help finance its activities.

The Arizona legislature (house and senate) is riddled with people who have ties to ALEC, all? of them Republican.

ALEC is a 501(c)(4) and is one of the greatest dangers to American civil liberty in the 21st century. ALEC is also the driving force behind "voter ID fraud" (aka disenfranchise the poor, people of color, and students who are more likely to vote Democrat) laws and laws related to climate change.

Their strategy of 'ignore Washington', take it to the state capitols is devious, clever and effective. It gives corporate lobbying much more bang for their buck than K Street lobbyists. Fortunately it is below it's funding targets right now. I recommend the following:

February 26, 2014 at 9:39 pm |
    • Doris

Wow- OK – thanks not(GOPer).

February 26, 2014 at 9:51 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

ALEC was also at the heart of the battle between Wisconsin Gov. Walker and collective bargaining including the Wisconsin state union workers back in 2011.

ALEC also rewrote the Florida stand your ground law (originally written by the NRA) for multiple other states.

Oh and Gov. Jan Brewer is a member of ALEC too which makes her decision an interesting one.

February 26, 2014 at 10:14 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Ooops there is a typo in my earlier post: ALEC is a 501(c)(3).

They do have an affilliate 501(c)(4) called the "Jeffersonian Project" to permit more direct lobbying by contributing to political campaigns directly.

February 26, 2014 at 10:23 pm |
  6. ddeevviinn

If the extent of religious persecution I experience is the requirement to provide equal services to g ays, all is well.

February 26, 2014 at 9:38 pm |
  7. observernow

Gov. Brewer's veto today is just one more indication that the days of hiding bigotry behind a Bible are coming to an end. Recent events such as this show that apparently more and more Americans may be trying to follow the concept of the Golden Rule in spite of religious opposition.

February 26, 2014 at 8:36 pm |
    • lngtrmthnkr

observer, the golden rule is the cornerstone of Christian religion. Bigotry is man made.

February 26, 2014 at 9:25 pm |
      • observernow

lngtrmthnkr,

If the Golden Rule actually was the cornerstone of the Christian religion, then so many Christian HYPOCRITES wouldn't be CHOOSING negative verses on gays rather than CHOOSING the MORE IMPORTANT Golden Rule.

February 26, 2014 at 10:39 pm |
        • Dalahäst

If logic and reason were the cornerstone of the anti-theists, than we wouldn't see so many examples of hypocrisy, ignorance and double-standards.

We just are witnessing another human construct that is failing.

February 27, 2014 at 10:25 am |
        • observernow

Dalahäst,

When it comes to HYPOCRISY, it's pretty tough to top the believers who tell others that they will go to hell for not believing all of a book that they themselves don't believe all of.

February 27, 2014 at 10:32 am |
      • sam stone

"Bigotry is man made."

So are religions

February 27, 2014 at 5:20 am |
        • Dalahäst

So are the philosophies of anti-theists one finds on religious blogs. Completely man made. And nothing original. And as old as the ancients.

February 27, 2014 at 10:23 am |
  8. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

AZ SB 1062 is VETOED!

Move along now. Nothing to see here.

February 26, 2014 at 8:16 pm |
    • hotairace

Oh, the believers are whinging big time! Only a matter of time before some believer shaman starts telling us about how we're one step closer to their cult's end times. It should be quite amusing.

February 26, 2014 at 8:20 pm |
    • TruthPrevails1

Let freedom reign :-). What will be the battle they pick when this one is totally lost? This being vetoed; Texas and Oklahoma declaring denial of equal rights unconstitutional...moving right along in the right direction. The christians must be squirming.

February 26, 2014 at 9:02 pm |
      • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Let's be clear. It's not "Christians" who would be squirming here.

It's right-wing evangelical protestant fundamentalists who have conflated their beliefs with what they think should be public policy.

I'm sure there are plenty of Christians who would recognize Gov. Brewers decision as the right choice and the bill passed by the Arizona Senate as being wrong.

February 26, 2014 at 9:06 pm |
        • TruthPrevails1

You're right and I shouldn't have painted with such a broad brush. We have heard numerous christians speak out against the bill.

February 26, 2014 at 9:09 pm |
    • Doris

I know, but I went to huffingtonpost and my goodness it's like I won something. Skittles came flying out of my usb ports....
      OK, sorry – I'm OK now – it was just a brief austintatious moment.

February 26, 2014 at 9:10 pm |
  9. joeyy1

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_F9nIps46w&w=640&h=360]

February 26, 2014 at 7:47 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

What do you hope to accomplish pasting and repasting this thing over and over again?

February 26, 2014 at 8:19 pm |
      • Dalahäst

Is he looking for "hits" or "plays" to make it appear more popular?

February 26, 2014 at 10:51 pm |
      • realbuckyball

Pray to make it stop. Prayer changes things.

February 26, 2014 at 11:23 pm |
    • TruthPrevails1

It appears you have a supporter...how cute!
      CNN will eventually block your IP address :-).

February 26, 2014 at 9:07 pm |
      • TruthPrevails1

Your supporter is some poster named peaceadvocate...stuck somewhere back 3 articles.

February 26, 2014 at 9:09 pm |
  10. His Panic

What in the world happened to the Belief Blog? Everything changed, had to use Word press to Log in. This is not good, is a clear sign that the Blog or CNN may be in a total State of Panic. If they would Trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son they WILL NOT Panic

Anyways that guy in the Video in AZ may be in a State of Panic. Arizona may be in a State of Panic. If instead of being religious they would Trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son they would not be in such a State of Panic. Those who Trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son WILL NOT Panic. ALL others will indeed Panic and fall victims to anxiety even to Mass Hysteria. Animals do Panic and run into Stampedes, people also run into stampedes and get into brawls and Riots because of Panic, but not those who Trust in God and in Jesus Christ God's Only Son. They WILL NOT Panic no matter what the situation may be.

February 26, 2014 at 7:46 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

It seems like you're having a panic attack. Up the Prozac dosage.

February 26, 2014 at 8:44 pm |
    • realbuckyball

God had many sons. It was a common ti'tle back then. It just meant a "righteous man". In Hebrew culture there were many "divine beings". It in no way meant they were equivalent to the war god, (Yahweh). No Jew would or could claim equivalence with Yahweh. Jesus didn't and couldn't.

February 26, 2014 at 11:25 pm |
    • fintronics

But why should I trust a bigot?............ as posted above;

:Mark 16:14-16 – "Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen. He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

February 27, 2014 at 9:52 am |
  11. Doris

Huh – Brewer to speak at 7:45. She's a couple of days late for some large groups that already canceled their plans in Arizona.

February 26, 2014 at 7:25 pm |
    • midwest rail

The NFL already has contingency plans to move the Super Bowl to Tampa – she'll veto.

February 26, 2014 at 7:38 pm |
    • Doris

Oh my – the religious right (of the broadcast follow-up) and the literal right side the TV picture was quite obvious before speaking based on hairdo.

February 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm |
  12. Apple Bush

I dipped my hand into the back of trail mix;
    not knowing what I might feel there.

It was clear immediately;
    it was an M & M.

The obvious question was;
    what color was it?

Sure they were all chocolate on the inside;
    but the outside mustn’t be green!

February 26, 2014 at 7:09 pm |
    • ddeevviinn

Have you been taking notes from Heaven Sent?

February 26, 2014 at 9:39 pm |
    • realbuckyball

Nope. It was your head you dipped. And it wasn't into a bag of trail mix.

February 26, 2014 at 11:27 pm |
  13. Apple Bush

Just remember man, this planet belongs to everyone. We were born here without our consent man.

February 26, 2014 at 7:03 pm |
  14. Apple Bush

It is all just so uncivilized I mean really.

February 26, 2014 at 7:00 pm |
  15. colin31714

Dalahast, did you know that approximately 1/12th of all Nobel Prize winners were Capricorns. Clearly astrology has credibility based on that, right?

February 26, 2014 at 6:41 pm |
    • Dalahäst

No. But I also don't make silly notions like all Capricorns are illogical and irrational and need me to come in with my self logic and reason and fix the world through spreading my wisdom on Capricorn Message Boards.

Nor do I feel the need to imagine what Capricorns believe and than insist my idea is the only acceptable option.

February 26, 2014 at 6:52 pm |
      • In Santa We Trust

I think you missed the analogy. Substitute astrologers for Capricorns and see if it sounds as logical.

February 26, 2014 at 9:04 pm |
        • Dalahäst

Are there astrologers that have demonstrated they can master sciences and fields of logic that Colin can't? Is that the point?

February 26, 2014 at 10:23 pm |
  16. midwest rail

Religion under attack ? Hardly. This is nothing more than the standard "you want to question my preferred status" temper tantrum from the evangelical right. When forced onto a level playing field for all, this is the result – unconst!tutional legislation under the guise of religious freedom. What a load of tripe.

February 26, 2014 at 6:15 pm |
  17. MadeFromDirt

Anyone who wishes to operate a business in secular society must accept the unwanted effects of that exposure along with the all the benefits.

But the bigger problem for these business owners who wish to refuse service to a certain group is their inconsistent application of their standards. If they don't want to serve homsxuals, should they not also refuse to serve fornicators and adulterers, and thieves and liars, and people who don't honor their parents? Even a hurtful thought against another person is a sin in the eyes of God, and all sin is sin and deserves God's wrath and judgment. So if these business owners want to show their professed faith and loyalty to God by picking their customers, they must refuse service to all sinners. So they will have no customers at all. And besides, why is their faith so weak and shallow that they feel a need to win God's favor this way? If they examine their hearts as deeply as God does, they will find that they are following a false gospel, and that their reasons for seeking to exclude a certain group have nothing to do with following and trusting in Jesus Christ.

February 26, 2014 at 6:07 pm |
    • midwest rail

" So if these business owners want to show their professed faith and loyalty to God by picking their customers, they must refuse service to all sinners. "
      Bingo. And thank you for your post.

February 26, 2014 at 7:44 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Yes the selective bigotry is obvious. The cornerstone of this attempted legislation deals with legal disputes that arose from a bakery, a portrait studio and a florist. All exceedingly non-essential businesses. Refusing service of their nearly useless services to LGBT patrons on the grounds of religious objection. But the baker would have happily provided a birthday cake to that party since the revelation of orientation would likely have not come up. Same for flowers to a funeral or the photographer for a graduation.
      And the real kicker is that the photographer who refused to take pictures at the gay wedding, for a couple who may have held deep religious convictions, would happily grab my money for the same service even though I think their religious beliefs are coo-coo for cocoa puffs. Such blatant hypocrisy.

February 26, 2014 at 9:06 pm |
  18. ausphor

Dala....I ass.ume your last post was directed at me.....
    Of course the "we" is all of "The Fighting Irish" that have to a person backed my notions, came to my defence and researched to a fault any accusations I may have made, "we" have the files.
    30 Rocks on.

February 26, 2014 at 5:52 pm |
  19. ausphor

Dala....I assume your last post was directed at me.....
    30 Rocks on.

February 26, 2014 at 5:51 pm |
    • Dalahäst

If you are trying to suggest logic and reason is exclusively on "your" side, I disagree.

February 26, 2014 at 6:42 pm |
  20. kenmargo

No religion isn't under attack. The truth is people are starting deal with reality.

February 26, 2014 at 5:07 pm |
    • Reality

And are empowered by rational thinking!!!

February 26, 2014 at 5:39 pm |
      • Dalahäst

Hey, do you think if you use rational thinking you could one day win a Nobel Prize? Like many delusional and brainwashed religious people have? Maybe some day you can fly to the moon? Or become a neurosurgeon? Boy, with rational thinking, you can do what many religious people have done! Go for it, dude!

February 26, 2014 at 5:44 pm |
        • Tom, Tom, the Other One

We all admire the accomplishments of the handicapped.

February 26, 2014 at 5:48 pm |
        • Apple Bush

This is what is confusing to atheists. We know there are religious doctors and scientists and Nobel prize winners, etc. We just can't fathom why these otherwise intelligent people can't see how bizarre worshipping gods is!

February 26, 2014 at 5:51 pm |
        • Bob

Good point, Tom Tom. One wonders how much more such people would have accomplished without their delusions. At least the doctrine and practice of AE/Dalahast's nasty religion has shifted enough that they are no longer torturing and threatening scientists who expose the Christian god fraud, or at least not as much as in years past.

You'll also note that here AE is trying one of his standard tactics, by starting into trotting out the few scientists he and his ilk can find who show any semblance of support for their crazy dogma. Soon he'll trudge out Francis Collins. However, such people are now anomalies in modern science, and it takes extreme confirmation bias to claim that religion has substantial support among scientists today. One more sign of AE's desperation to sustain his dwindling (and disgusting) religion.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
          Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
          Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

February 26, 2014 at 6:05 pm |
        • Bob

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
          Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

February 26, 2014 at 6:06 pm |
        • Dalahäst

Hey Bob! Let me guess, you are not a scientist? But you wish you were?

February 26, 2014 at 6:20 pm |
        • In Santa We Trust

Hey Dala! Let me guess, you don't have answers or evidence? But you wish you did?

February 26, 2014 at 6:23 pm |
        • Dalahäst

I wish there were more people like Bostontola who can admit they would love to have the scientific knowledge some Christians possess.

February 26, 2014 at 6:46 pm |
        • In Santa We Trust

I'm not making claims about my comparative knowledge and I certainly know less than many people who post on here. The thing is Dala, you claim to know that there is a god and more recently that prayer works; so provide the evidence. My position is that our current knowledge shows that all creation myths are incorrect – sticking with christianity as most believers on this board are christians – therefore the bible creation myth is not correct, that is the foundation of the christian religion – god's credentials as it were – so with no foundation what evidence is there of a god? I've asked you many times to support your position and you never have.

February 26, 2014 at 6:58 pm |
        • Dalahäst

How is the creation myth not true? It may not be factual, but can it still reveal truths?

Like, for example, Jesus used parables that were not factual. But they revealed truths about the nature of human people. Especially in regards to hypocrisy, self-centeredness and arrogance.

I do believe in God. And it is logical and reasonable to see people make such claims on a Belief Blog.

You are not in charge of anything that affects my life or what const.itutes as reasonable beliefs. You just have that little box you type in before you hit "reply". So you demanding and insisting I met your standards is just crazy talk .

I've stated many times you seem more interested in proving you are right, and not honestly in knowing God.

I, like probably many other rational and reasonable people, am baffled by your behavior and actions.

February 26, 2014 at 7:05 pm |
        • In Santa We Trust

If it is not factual it is not true – what truths does it reveal?
          We know that the universe was not created as described, that animals including humans were not created as described, that there ws no global flood.

The only "truths" are axiomatic – that the universe exists and we know about the Big Bang, we know that animals including humans exist and we know about evolution. Everything that we have an understanding of has a natural explanation – no god required. The difference with these "parables" is that they are the god's credentials; without them there is no evidence of a god. So there's no reason to suppose that what we don't currently understand is the work of a god.

Shakespeare, Dante, Aesop, et al also revealed truths about the nature of human people, so again there's no need for a god to reveal those truths.

It may be logical and reasonable to see believers make claims of a god on a Belief Blog; but to claim that their belief is based upon logic and reason, is not.

You may see it as crazy talk, but you make the claim daily and I ask for evidence – if you had any, you'd present it, but each day it's the same dance.

I'm happy to be proven wrong – all it takes is evidence. Got any? You're putting the horse before the cart with the "honestly knowing God" spiel – if you have evidence of a god I guarantee I'll get to know it.

You're only baffled because you don't have answers but must testify and have the last word.

February 26, 2014 at 9:23 pm |
        • AtheistSteve

There are get numerous daily posts from Austin and others who claim that they actually have evidence. But their "testimony" doesn't qualify as evidence. I'm sure Austin and his ilk feel comforted by their faith and that they're "saved" but it confuses me why they need to insist that we should follow their example. By their own belief they should feel comfortable with their fate. Why bother others with their horse hockey?
          I don't need to be "saved" because I'm not in jeopardy. I don't have a soul. I don't need a "Law Giver" to figure out what's right or what's wrong...ethics and common sense do that quite handily. I'm not going to experience an afterlife or end up in a heaven or hell and I wouldn't want to...especially not a heaven.
          Nothing Austin or others say will change this view. In fact the only thing that could would be a God if he existed. God would know exactly what I require as evidence to believe in him. Given that it seems blatantly obvious that God doesn't exist or if he does that he has absolutely no interest in me. So in turn I have absolutely no interest in him. I expect many atheists share my view. So why do people like Austin bother?

February 26, 2014 at 10:01 pm |
        • AtheistSteve

Oops...started with "We" and then changed it to "There are" without dropping the "get".
          I have to start doing a better job proof reading my posts.

February 26, 2014 at 10:07 pm |
        • Dalahäst

I'm baffled because a grown man who posts as "In Santa We Trusts" and constantly challenges me to "prove" things to him is down right silly. As if belief in God was delusional and indicated a lack of understanding of reasoning and logic.

The wonder of "internet atheist" philosophy. It is not science or logic. Hence, the "opinion" section of the internet we find ourselves in.

February 26, 2014 at 10:19 pm |
        • Dalahäst

Good for you AtheistSteve. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I know you don't know everything there is to know about evidence or God, so I talk your critic with a grain of salt.

February 26, 2014 at 10:22 pm |
        • Bob

As usual, AE/Dalahast persists in ad hominems, now even in patronizing form. That is all he has left, since he cannot present any evidence that can be examined, to support of his crazy beliefs.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
          Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

February 26, 2014 at 11:48 pm |
        • TruthPrevails1

"Good for you AtheistSteve. "

How cute...not only does Dala show absolute hypocrisy on here, now he's showing that he is condescending but I guess it must be okay if it is done in the name of defending your imaginary friend. Burden of proof lies on the one making the claim, not the one saying they don't believe the claim!

February 27, 2014 at 5:14 am |

TruthPrevails1
          " Burden of proof lies on the one making the claim"
          =>Yes but what is proof. Proof is that which in context is accepted by the community. You are not the community. If you ask the community in general the sworn testimony of 9 billion people over the history of mankind that God exists is accepted by the community. Simply because you were abused and lay that abuse at the feet of the Christian community does not validate your demand for what is or is not acceptable evidence. There cannot be any evidence that will ever be accepted by you until such a time as you learn to truly forgive. Jesus was all about forgiveness as that is where you can find release and hear the testimonies of others.

February 27, 2014 at 9:49 am |
        • fintronics

Hey dala, how is jesus not a bigot?

"Mark 16:14-16 – "Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen. He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

February 27, 2014 at 9:56 am |
        • fintronics

"proof" is not some funny feeling you get..

February 27, 2014 at 9:57 am |

fintronics
          "proof" is not some funny feeling you get.."
          =>Burden of proof as to science and mathematics is different than the burden of proof as to philosophical matters.
          oh, testimony is proof...........go to court and find out

February 27, 2014 at 10:07 am |
        • Dalahäst

Unfortunately, there is evidence of anti-theists as using *feelings* as their *proof*.

And then they mock others for doing it.

These aren't rocket scientists we are dealing with.

February 27, 2014 at 10:50 am |
        • joey3467

Without a literal Adam and Eve there is no original sin and no need for the sacrifice of Jesus. So if you don't read Genesis literally why are you a Christian?

February 27, 2014 at 12:51 pm |
        • Dalahäst

I guess I'm not a "real" Christian.

I'm a Christian because I follow Jesus Christ. He has saved me. I'm not saved by what I believe or do.

His mercy and grace is sufficient.

February 27, 2014 at 12:55 pm |