home
RSS
March 15th, 2014

Five things you didn't know about Jesus

Opinion by the Rev. James Martin, special to CNN

(CNN) - With Easter approaching, and the movie “Son of God” playing in wide release, you’re going to hear a lot about Jesus these days.

You may hear revelations from new books that purport to tell the “real story” about Jesus, opinions from friends who have discovered a “secret” on the Web about the son of God, and airtight arguments from co-workers who can prove he never existed.

Beware of most of these revelations; many are based on pure speculation and wishful thinking. Much of what we know about Jesus has been known for the last 2,000 years.

Still, even for devout Christian there are surprises to be found hidden within the Gospels, and thanks to advances in historical research and archaeological discoveries, more is known about his life and times.

With that in mind, here are five things you probably didn't know about Jesus.

1.) Jesus came from a nowhere little town.

Nearly all modern-day archaeologists agree the town of Nazareth had only 200 to 400 people. Jesus’ hometown is mentioned nowhere in either the Old Testament or the Talmud, which notes dozens of other towns in the area.

In fact, in the New Testament it is literally a joke.

In the Gospel of John, when a man named Nathanael hears the messiah is “Jesus of Nazareth,” he asks, “Can anything good come from Nazareth?” He’s dissing Jesus’ crummy backwater town.

2.) Jesus probably didn’t know everything.

This is a thorny theological question. If Jesus is divine, wouldn’t he know all things? (Indeed, on several occasions Jesus predicts his death and resurrection.)

On the other hand, if he had a human consciousness, he needed to be taught something before he could know it. The Gospel of Luke says that when Jesus was a young man he “progressed” in wisdom. That means he learned things. (Otherwise how would he “progress”?)

In the Gospel of Mark, Jesus initially refuses to heal the daughter of a non-Jewish woman, saying rather sharply, “It is not fair to take the children’s food and throw it to the dogs.”

But when she replies that even the dogs get the crumbs from the table, Jesus softens, and he heals her daughter. He seems to be learning that his ministry extends beyond the Jewish people.

3.) Jesus was tough.

From age 12 to 30, Jesus worked in Nazareth as a carpenter. “Is not this the carpenter?” say the astonished crowds when he begins to preach.

The word used for Jesus’ profession in the original Greek is tekton. The traditional translation is “carpenter.” But most contemporary scholars say it’s more likely a general craftsman; some even translate it as “day laborer.”

A tekton would have made doors, tables, lamp stands and plows. But he probably also built stone walls and helped with house construction.

It was tough work that meant lugging tools, wood and stones all over Galilee. Jesus doesn’t simply stride onto the world stage after having dreamily examined a piece of wood when the mood suited him. For 18 years, he worked—and worked hard.

4.) Jesus needed “me time.”

The Gospels frequently speak of Jesus’ need to “withdraw” from the crowds, and even his disciples.

Today by the Sea of Galilee, where Jesus carried out much of his ministry, you can see how close the towns were, and how natural it would have been for the enthusiastic crowds to “press” in on him, as the Gospels describe.

There’s even a cave on the shoreline, not far from Capernaum, his base of operations, where he may have prayed.

It’s called the “Eremos Cave,” from the word for “desolate” or “solitary,” from which we get the word “hermit.” Even though Jesus was the son of God, he needed time alone in prayer with the father.

5.) Jesus didn’t want to die.

As he approaches his death, and prays hard in the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus says, “Remove this cup.” It’s a blunt prayer addressed to the father, whom he affectionately calls Abba. He doesn’t want to die.

Unlike the way some Christians portray Jesus as courting death, and even desiring it, like any human being, the idea of death is terrifying. “My soul is sorrowful even unto death,” he says.

In other words, “I’m so sad that it feels like I’m going to die.” But once Jesus realizes that this is somehow the will of the father, he assents to death, even on a cross.

It’s natural to want to know as much as we can about Jesus; that’s one reason I wrote my new book. But beware of the more outlandish claims about the son of God (he fathered children, he was married to Mary Magdalene, he spent time in India and so on.)

Many of these claims tend to project our own desires on a man who will always remain somewhat elusive, hard to fully understand and impossible to pin down.

In the end, as theologians like to say, Jesus is not so much a problem to be solved as a mystery to be pondered.

The Rev. James Martin is a Jesuit priest, editor of America magazine and author of the new book "Jesus: A Pilgrimage" (HarperOne). The views expressed in this column belong to Martin.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Easter • Jesus • Opinion

soundoff (3,128 Responses)
  1. colin31714

The whole Jesus story really is quite silly. The creator of the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies (each of which has more stars and planets than there are grains of sand on Florida beaches) impregnates a Greco-Roman Jewish virgin with himself, so he can give birth to himself, then sacrifice himself to himself to "forgive" the original sin of a couple who never even existed.

How grown adults can dumb themselves down believe this simplistic, childish garbage is the only interesting thing in the whole Jesus saga.

March 17, 2014 at 12:41 am |
    • hanibwsa

It just shows His love for us

March 17, 2014 at 12:56 am |
      • colin31714

Ok, so I guess now I am starting to understand how grown adults can dumb themselves down believe this simplistic, childish garbage about the Jesus saga.

March 17, 2014 at 1:07 am |
        • hanibwsa

thank you for your reply. yes it takes greater conviction and courage to believe in Jesus than to believe otherwise. Jesus didn't come to impose a religion or force anyone to conversion. But He came with a message of love and hope and if you are not willing to accept the message its alright. All it takes is to have faith, which is a very difficult concept to grasp. If you do want to know about Jesus more, I can share with you. Anyway tc. God bless you.

April 28, 2014 at 1:22 pm |
      • TruthPrevails1

Murder shows love? You have a weird definition of love. Silly christians believing that their imaginary friend is so special that in all of recorded history it is the only creature to return from the dead after 3 days...jesus was suffering a major hang over from all that wine, nothing more...really fooled the gullible followers!!

March 17, 2014 at 4:42 am |
        • hanibwsa

there is no point in arguing with illogical people like you. we can argue all day long for the next century, and people have been actually doing that since the beginning of time on weather God exist or not.
          However if you really want to know the love of God i can share with you personally. Other wise this ambiguous debates leads to nowhere. God bless you.

April 28, 2014 at 1:16 pm |
        • TruthPrevails1

hani: What? Is English your second language?
          Your personal evidence does not count as evidence to anyone but you. Every believer has a different take on what they believe god is, thus the 41000 sects of Christianity. Why should I or anyone else accept your version over that of anyone who claims the Christian god exists?
          I believe on evidence and am willing to change opinion as information is put forth; you believe strictly on faith (belief without evidence) and you use one book that was written by man, translated numerous times over and hasn't been updated in 2000 years...and somehow I'm the illogical one??? RIGHT! You're a fool...buy a dictionary, it is a useful book.

April 28, 2014 at 3:45 pm |
        • hanibwsa

yes, English is my second language and sorry for calling you illogical. Actually your logic makes total sense.
          First tell me do you believe in God or a creator?
          And do you believe that Jesus actually existed some 2000 years ago (historical evidence proves he did)?

April 29, 2014 at 2:30 am |
  2. Strand

Ok, I know you can't take faith as logic. But can we argue that God is a logical God? If that is the case, why would you send your only son (or yourself if you believe in the trinity) to die for mans sinns, so yourself could forgive man? Just think about it for a second. I know I am going to send my son, who is going to die for you so I can forgive you. Why not just forgive without all the dram in the middle?

March 17, 2014 at 12:19 am |
    • jbc630

Does a a judge simply forgive a guilty murderer? Justice has to be done. It is fulfilled by Christ's sacrifice.

March 17, 2014 at 12:24 am |
      • colin31714

But, does a judge go out and kill his own son to forgive the "murderer". I say "murderer" because I have never understood exactly what I needed forgiving for, 2,000 years before I was born.

March 17, 2014 at 12:32 am |
        • hanibwsa

can you say with conviction that you are a perfect person. That you don't commit any sin as mentioned in the bible? That you never lie? that you never think bad about others? not even once?

March 17, 2014 at 1:00 am |

hanibwsa

"If you think logically there are hundred thousand things we should be asking forgiveness for."

The "sins" we supposedly commit are RARELY if ever directly against God, but against other people. They are the ones who deserve our apologies and to ask for forgiveness.

March 17, 2014 at 1:14 am |
        • jbc630

High price for the sin of everyone who has ever and ever will live. You are forgetting Gods timelessness. From God's perspective you were as alive then as you are now.

March 17, 2014 at 1:26 am |
        • colin31714

Nice cop out. What an evil bast.ard you god must be then. To hold people accountable for things done before they were even born. What an unjust, heartless, sadistic bast.ard.

March 17, 2014 at 1:37 am |
        • jbc630

Is it better to never hold anybody accountable for anything?

March 17, 2014 at 1:58 am |
        • colin31714

No, just hold them accountable for what they did. Not things their ancestors (supposedly) did.

March 17, 2014 at 10:10 am |
        • Doris

Try proving your God exists before telling us how he prefers his laundry done....

March 17, 2014 at 1:33 am |
        • colin31714

Hanibswa – but, according to Christian doctrine, his death did not forgive me from any sins I perform, just the sin I have, supposedly, been saddled with due to this non-existent couple.

March 17, 2014 at 1:33 am |
      • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Please explain how non belief is a crime.

March 17, 2014 at 12:32 am |
        • jbc630

Its arrogance. You obviously have a creator. Its clear from what has been made.

March 17, 2014 at 1:27 am |
        • Doris

"You obviously have a creator. "

or not

March 17, 2014 at 1:31 am |

jbc630,

If it's clear from all that is made that there must have been a creator, then who created God who created all this?

March 17, 2014 at 1:32 am |
        • Doris

(excepting my parents of course)

March 17, 2014 at 1:35 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

No....arrogance is pretending to know there is a creator. Arrogance is thinking that you know who the creator is and what the creator likes and doesn't like. Arrogance is thinking you and the creator are good friends and you have a personal relationship with the creator f the entire universe.

It is not arrogant to say "I don't believe you".

March 17, 2014 at 1:37 am |
    • wilburw7

So you are more logical than God? Can you tell us any verses from the Bible that explain why God did it?

March 17, 2014 at 12:26 am |
      • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Because your god is an asshat.

March 17, 2014 at 12:30 am |
        • robisonscott

Wow, that was mature.

March 17, 2014 at 12:42 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

And what exactly is mature about going around telling people they will go to hell for not worshipping a certain god?

March 17, 2014 at 1:02 am |
        • robisonscott

From your previous posts it doesn't seem that you believe in him. So why does it matter what he says? He could say anything and you're going to find fault.

March 17, 2014 at 1:07 am |
        • Doris

Well let's see, robisonscott – based what some people think "He" means, they find it necessary to travel to Africa and incite people to kill other people. So I would say "His representatives" here on earth are usually the concern...

March 17, 2014 at 1:12 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Nope I sure don't...that doesn't mean people just get to go around spreading BS unopposed.

You seem to think going around telling people they are going to hell is harmless. It's not.

March 17, 2014 at 1:27 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

"He could say anything and you're going to find fault."

No he could admit that spreading religious knowledge is the same as lying and I would agree with him.

He could admt the god of the Bible is such an immoral ass that he does not deserve worship and I would find no fault whatsoever with that sentiment

March 17, 2014 at 1:33 am |
      • colin31714

Well the traditional story is to forgive the original sin of Adam and Eve – a couple we now all know never existed. The whole fundamental Christian theology is fundamentally flawed – and quite childish really.

March 17, 2014 at 12:33 am |
        • wilburw7

And Jesus said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

March 17, 2014 at 12:44 am |
        • colin31714

Yes, if I was an apocalyptic Jewish prophet selling the imminent coming of the end times in the near future, I would prefer a dumbed down audience, too. Pity he has been proven by the last 2,000 years to be totally wrong.

March 17, 2014 at 12:48 am |
        • otoh2

wilbur,

That's not what your hero, Prattling Paul of Tarsus, said:

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me." 1 Cor

March 17, 2014 at 12:48 am |
        • Doris

Nothing like instilling fear with a little threat to stay in the club. lol

March 17, 2014 at 12:49 am |
        • Doris

The problem with Paul was he couldn't keep his mouth shut. He was all over the place, making it very easy for anyone to justify any side of any cause.

March 17, 2014 at 12:51 am |
        • otoh2

Yes, Doris, Paul was afflicted with an itching tongue.

March 17, 2014 at 12:53 am |
    • s33k3r72

Read athanasius on the incarnation, he addresses this around 300 ad. People are not in need of just forgiveness but need freedom from the power of death and the bondage of sin. The Word faced death becoming human allowing himself to be publicly killed and rising from it. The early Christians knew this and were fearless, publicly stood against injustice and gladly suffered persecution. Happy easter!

March 17, 2014 at 12:49 am |
    • esadamsjr

God didn't send his son just to forgive us. Forgiveness was part of the equation, but the overarching reason was to show us that he loves us. The text in John 3:16 says "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son..." I think the "dram in the middle" was God showing us that he loves us so much, he was willing to give up an innocent life for us so that we may have life more abundantly.

March 17, 2014 at 12:53 am |
      • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Jesus loves us so much he created hell just in case we don't love him back...

March 17, 2014 at 1:04 am |
  3. wilburw7

March 17, 2014 at 12:05 am |
    • Doris

Oh great, more motor-mouth Saul of Tarsus garbage. The one who was the Joseph Smith of his day...

March 17, 2014 at 12:09 am |
      • wilburw7

Why are you posting here on an article about Jesus? Why would you chose this topic if you are opposed to the idea? There are many other topics. Why this topic?

March 17, 2014 at 12:14 am |
        • Doris

Well one reason is to see how crazy crazy can get. So I am thankful that at least not yet today I haven't seen anyone recommend that anyone travel to Africa to incite violence against other people. You know, some evangelists have done that in recent history. But I keep an eye on these activities.

March 17, 2014 at 12:21 am |
        • wilburw7

Doris, Have you broken any one of the 10 commandments?

March 17, 2014 at 12:27 am |

wilburw7,

Do you mean like buying the craven images that likely ALL religious shops sell?

March 17, 2014 at 12:30 am |

Sure.

March 17, 2014 at 12:32 am |
        • Doris

You know I think I did buy a few Wes Craven stills when I was last in Hollywood. But it was years ago.

March 17, 2014 at 12:33 am |
        • wilburw7

Doris, What kind of activities do you plan on keeping an eye on if you go to eternal damnation?
          A young Korean artist taken to Hell. Drew pictures of it:

March 17, 2014 at 12:39 am |
        • Doris

Sure, Wilbur – I think I remember stealing some play-doh from my sister when I was really young – so what?

March 17, 2014 at 12:39 am |

wilburw7,

Do Christians who don't support the Bible when it comes to slavery, discrimination against women, discrimination against gays, discrimination against the handicapped, etc. get sent directly to hell?

March 17, 2014 at 12:42 am |
        • Doris

Oh that's a pretty cool image. I remember seeing the inside painted dome of the Doma in Florence, where you would see images of little devils shoving pitchforks into peoples' behinds. I'm sure they were depicting hell there as well. Anyway, prove your God, prove that Jesus was divine, and then we'll talk about your crazy ideas about sin, hell, divine moral "truths", free will, yada yada yada....

March 17, 2014 at 12:43 am |
        • colin31714

Wilbur7- I love it when a Christian scorns somebody with the admonishment that they will "go to hell".

Out of all the silly superst.itious beliefs of the Christians, I think the myth of hell is my favorite. It is just so childish. Think it through. I don't have to kill, I don't have to steal, hell, I don't even have to litter. All I have to do is have a reasonable, honest and rational disbelief in the Christian god and he will inflict a grotesque penalty upon me an infinite times worse than the death penalty. And he loves me.

Let's subject this "cherished Christian doctrine" to the probing light of say.......fifth grade mathematics.

Approximately one hundred and ten thousand million (110,000,000,000) people have lived on Earth. Given all those who have, over the centuries, rejected the Christian god, or who have otherwise committed mortal sins, there must be literally thousands of millions of people burning for all eternity in the cosmic oven of hell set up by their all-loving god. Some must have been burning for thousands of years by now.

About 100,000 people die every day. There must be a constant stream of thousands of forlorn souls every day into the one way pit of hell their “all-merciful” god set up and maintains.

But, far, far worse than sheer overwhelming numbers is the extent of the punishment. There is no way out, no parole, no time off for good behavior. You don’t just burn, you burn for all eternity. Billions of people and thousands of daily new arrivals burning for all eternity!

No criminal justice system in the history of the Human race, even those established by the most despotic of tyrants, comes close to matching the unfathomable barbarity of their “infinitely benevolent” god.

Hitler murdered six million Jews in his concentration camps, but compared to the Judeo-Christian god, Hitler was a bleeding-hearted wimp. A goose-stepping girlie-man. Their “all-caring” god not only burns billions more than Hitler, Pol Pot and all other dictators and tyrants added up, he keeps doing so to them for all eternity! I would not wish a bad sunburn on a person simply because they have a different religion to me, let alone fry them for all eternity.

It is also odd that their all-loving god is also all-knowing and knows which souls will go to hell before they do. He even knows it before they are born, and yet he still creates them. He is worse than a psychopathic teenager who breeds litter after litter of kittens so he can slowly roast them in ovens.

That is the problem with using the same deity to be both the carrot and the stick. It gets really silly really quickly.

How you believe this utter garbage in the 21st century completely eludes me.

March 17, 2014 at 12:44 am |
        • wilburw7

colin31714, Matthew 7:13
          "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it"

5th grade mathematics? Is that something Isaac Newton might understand?
          "I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by those who were inspired. I study the Bible daily."– Isaac Newton

March 17, 2014 at 12:54 am |
        • otoh2

wilbur,

Isaac Newton was brilliant, but he also spent a great deal of time studying the occult - for example, numerology and alchemy... making gold using The Philosopher's Stone!

March 17, 2014 at 1:04 am |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Issac Newton also studied alchemy...

March 17, 2014 at 1:06 am |
        • ssq41

"I have a Bible by my bedside. I read it every God-d*** day."

-Attributed to George S. Patton, General USA (he also believed in reincarnation)

March 17, 2014 at 1:13 am |
        • ssq41

Gotta love Christians like wilbur...he's gonna be hanging on the heavenly railing overlooking Hell with a hot dog and a Coke (with some JD in it) happily watching sinners roasting in the Lake of Fire.

Such joy at so many sinners getting fried, eh, wilbur? The love of God personified.

March 17, 2014 at 1:20 am |
        • wilburw7

ssq41, I do not want to see you go to hell. That is why I am taking all the abuse associated with telling you about hell. I am WARNING YOU about your current destination so you DO NOT GO TO HELL.

March 17, 2014 at 1:36 am |

observer

wilburw7,

STUMPED?

March 17, 2014 at 1:38 am |
        • ssq41

wilbur...If you actually cared about people "not going to hell" then you would be pounding on every door in every neighborhood in your city compelling them, begging them to come to Christ...this is, after all the "Last Days." No job, no family, no personal need is more important than fulfilling Matthew 28 and Jesus is quite clear in Matthew 6 that he'd meet all your needs anyway.

But, no, you're here on CNN's belief blog happily condemning others to hell.

Much more fun, eh?

March 17, 2014 at 1:46 am |
        • Doris

It's interesting how wilbur and kermit both capitalize whole words here and there – very odd.....

March 17, 2014 at 1:51 am |
        • ssq41

The Buddhist have far more integrity and compa.ssion...their "Boddhisattvas" forgoe Nirvana in order to stay here and alleviate the suffering until all suffering is eliminated.

In my 3 decades of being an Evangelical Christian, never found one person (including myself) willing to go into he.ll to rescue the eternally lost or try to convince Jesus to turn off the ovens of hell in a manner more effective than Abraham's pathetic attempt to distract God from destroying Lot's hometown.

March 17, 2014 at 2:01 am |
        • otoh2

Yeah, Doris, I guess they are used to hearing their preachers talk that way. Kermit's posts are sloppy messes, though, just like his thought processes.

March 17, 2014 at 2:03 am |
  4. Doris

I'm staying up here on the current page. That wilbur dude is back on page 1 talking about some Alah-Satan. You can take a peek but eye contact is not recommended...

March 16, 2014 at 11:22 pm |
    • wilburw7

John 3:16
      "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

March 17, 2014 at 12:00 am |
      • observer

"whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Yep. That's all it takes. Be a rotten person, but just believe that God will forgive whatever you do.

March 17, 2014 at 12:05 am |
        • Doris

I'm used to it, observer. There used to be a man who talked to himself that would always sit next to me on the metro back when I was working.

March 17, 2014 at 12:07 am |
        • wilburw7

No. You must turn away from your sin and follow Jesus. Accepting Jesus means you accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior. Continuing to sin is not as he commanded. You must stop sinning.

March 17, 2014 at 12:11 am |

wilburw7,

When it comes to dealing with gays, do you CHOOSE negative verses from the Bible or do you CHOOSE the MORE IMPORTANT Golden Rule? You can't have it both ways. Which do you CHOOSE?

March 17, 2014 at 12:14 am |
        • Doris

Save it for the street corner, Wilbur. We'll see you at the voting booth. Actually if you had a clue, you'd be smart to Mr. Ed vote for you.

March 17, 2014 at 12:15 am |
        • wilburw7

observer, Why would I exclude some verses?

March 17, 2014 at 12:17 am |
        • otoh2

wilbur,
          "Continuing to sin is not as he commanded. You must stop sinning."

Yeah, well that fabled thief on the cross in your storybook stopped "sinning" for all of 5 minutes!

March 17, 2014 at 12:18 am |

wilburw7,

Some verses are MORE IMPORTANT than others. So you do CHOOSE to use negative verses or do you CHOOSE to follow the Golden Rule? What would Jesus say?

March 17, 2014 at 12:24 am |
        • jbc630

If I was lost and going the wrong direction, I would not want somebody to tell me I was going the right direction. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

March 17, 2014 at 12:41 am |
        • robisonscott

"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." James 2

March 17, 2014 at 12:45 am |
        • Doris

Here's something based in reality and more useful, robi:

"Should the cabin lose pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the overhead area. Please place the bag over your own mouth and nose before assisting children... or other adults acting like children." –Southwest Airlines

March 17, 2014 at 1:22 am |
  5. Bob

ricardowilli, actually, the whole Jesus-sacrifice story, which is at the core of your ludicrous beliefs, is complete nonsense.

How is it that your omnipotent being couldn't do his saving bit without the whole silly Jesus hoopla? And how was Jesus' death a "sacrifice", when an omnipotent being could just pop up a replacement son any time with less than a snap of his fingers?

Pretty pathetic "god" that you've made for yourself there.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
    Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

March 16, 2014 at 11:07 pm |
    • mancat5

The empty hubris, the pseudo intellectualism and bankrupt philosophy of Atheist Cultists hold no appeal me. Name one atheist that can compare to Mother Teresa or MLK? Atheists offer nothing positive to people so to them I say no thanks

March 17, 2014 at 12:04 am |
      • observer

Is that the same Mother Theresa who gave minimal services to her patients because she believed that people SHOULD suffer?

March 17, 2014 at 12:07 am |

typo: Mother Teresa

March 17, 2014 at 12:08 am |
    • robisonscott

There is a law that governs everything. Anytime I make a chemical on paper I have to run it through certain steps for the groups that I want. Anytime I read a bio paper for school, there are laws that are followed. Anytime I walk outside gravity pulls me down etc. There are laws that govern everything. We don't understand a great many of the laws that are already here. Let's not critique God when we don't understand what's around us.

March 17, 2014 at 1:04 am |
      • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Let's not pretend to claim knowledge about a god...that would be better.

March 17, 2014 at 1:48 am |
  6. ricardowilli

Five things you should know about Jesus that will change your life forever.
    1. He gave us a stunning example of how to prayer in the garden of Gethsemane. How many of us shake, groan and mourn when we prayer?
    2. He understood the value of silence and spending time alone in stillness
    3. He summed the Christian faith in two sentences (Love God with all your heart, mind and soul and Love your neighbor as you love yourself). It showed us how connected he was with the father.
    4. He came for those that society rejected. So many of us Christians still have difficulties grasping this ministry.
    5. He had a sense of humor and hung out in places few Christians do today.

March 16, 2014 at 10:49 pm |
    • whippstippler7

How exactly will this change my life forever?
      Change, by the way, can be negative.

So, by believing in the Christian mythology, and living my life in accordance with that mythology, my life will change? Sure it will – for the worse. No thanks.

March 16, 2014 at 10:57 pm |
    • Doris

Really? All those things? So you're saying he was like Jack Handey?

March 16, 2014 at 11:01 pm |
      • Akira

Those are deep thoughts.

March 16, 2014 at 11:03 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

6) He provided no verifiable information or phlilosophy that humans did not already have.

7) Everything that is claimed to be known about Jesus comes from other people...he didn't write anything, he provided nothing himself to docu.ment his existence..

March 16, 2014 at 11:01 pm |
    • Akira

One has to shake, moan, and groan when praying? Why? Do theatrics make God listen better?

March 16, 2014 at 11:02 pm |
    • Bob

ricardowilli, really, the whole Jesus-sacrifice story, which is at the core of your ludicrous beliefs, is complete nonsense.

Pretty pathetic "god" that you've made for yourself there.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement.
      Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

March 16, 2014 at 11:08 pm |
  7. esotericspirit813

3 things you didn't know about Jesus : 1) he did not die on the cross 2) he never resurrected 3) he is the true author of the quran...........proof is in the scriptures and the whole world have been mislead by the people We trust to give us true interpretations of biblical scriptures. It's obvious rev James is being lead by the church and not by the spirit of God.

March 16, 2014 at 10:45 pm |
    • Akira

Jesus as the author of the Quran? This is a new one. Do tell.

March 16, 2014 at 10:54 pm |
    • whippstippler7

Proof is in the scriptures? Really? What proof, exactly?
      Why not say, the proof is in The Lord of the Rings. Or Harry Potter. Maybe the proof is in Stuart Little. Or Charlotte's Web. Thos ebooks contain truisms, and good advice about how to treat one another, but that doesn't mean that there really was was a talking, writing spider named Charlotte.

March 16, 2014 at 11:00 pm |
  8. copernicus222

March 16, 2014 at 10:38 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

That is 3...how many of these non existent videos are you going to post?

March 16, 2014 at 10:45 pm |
      • Akira

'This video does not exist' is very popular.

March 16, 2014 at 11:07 pm |

Hmmm...reminds me of something

March 16, 2014 at 11:23 pm |
      • copernicus222

sorry blessed cheese master... I am new here. It seems it won't let me erase anything after I have posted it..
        Drat.

March 16, 2014 at 11:34 pm |
    • Doris

Oh – I had this happen to me. It does this if you try to post a video using the URL from a video page that's in someone's playlist. It'll have a really long URL if it's one of these. So you have to find the URL if there is one for the standalone video.

March 16, 2014 at 11:13 pm |
      • copernicus222

wow.....Thanks for helping.. 🙂
        I wish you all the best.

March 16, 2014 at 11:32 pm |
  9. copernicus222

March 16, 2014 at 10:34 pm |
  10. unsername1

Dear Reverend, can you care to explain love life of Jesus? people married at young age in those days.

March 16, 2014 at 10:29 pm |
    • realbuckyball

Rabbis were ALWAYS married. If he wasn't he was one of THE only ones in all of history.
      It would have been SO remarkable, someone would have mentioned it.

March 16, 2014 at 10:40 pm |
  11. copernicus222

March 16, 2014 at 10:27 pm |
    • copernicus222

I tried to post the picture but couldn't figure it out... Oh well at least I got to post some relevant Music videos..
      ::)

March 16, 2014 at 10:36 pm |
  12. copernicus222

A realistic picture of Christ Yeshua by Painter Alex Grey ^^^^^

March 16, 2014 at 10:25 pm |
  13. copernicus222

March 16, 2014 at 10:21 pm |
    • copernicus222

Can't figure this thing out....oh well

March 16, 2014 at 10:39 pm |
  14. magicpanties

how about 5 things you didn't know about the easter bunny?

March 16, 2014 at 10:11 pm |
  15. masterstouch2

March 16, 2014 at 10:10 pm |
  16. jls1950

Well, here are a few more obscure facts:

Jesus came from a nowhere town named for the Nazarites (holy or "dedicated" men who served God – biblical examples include Sampson, Samuel, Elijah and Elisha) who used to camp there. The scripture "He will called a Nazarene" is essentially indistinguishable from "He will be called a Nazarite" (i.e. "He will be called Holy unto God".)

Nazareth was about 5 km from Sepphoris – a city of about 20,000 souls that was completely rebuilt during Jesus' teen years into His late 20's. Being a good craftsman and having four brothers in the trade, Jesus would certainly have taken advantage of the opportunities for several years' very profitable work, so that while born poor He and his family were undoubtedly of considerable standing in their community by the time Jesus began His ministry.

During this time, Sepphoris was a major center of Jewish learning, and there is considerable evidence that Jesus actually worked to put his brother through school there – when they were not helping him with the family business. The immense deference shown by the highly-educated Apostle Paul toward Jesus' brother James may well be accounted by the high degree of education the latter had in fact received at Sepphoris.

Jesus' brother James – the first bishop of the church in Jerusalem and the author of the eponymous epistle – was so highly respected among the Pharisees that even when he was arrested and stoned to death by the Sadducean chief priests, the Pharisees lodged a stern protest with the new Roman governor over the "murder of a righteous man".

James was known in the Jewish community as Jacob of kefer Sekanya – James/Jacob of the village of Cana. It was thus almost certainly James' wedding that Jesus attended and at which his mother became so concerned over the diminishing stock of wine.

James was so highly respected that no less than a Tana of Israel – one of the "doctors of the Law" mentioned in scripture and a man known as Rabbi Eliezer the Great or Rabbi Eliezer ben Hyrcanus – treasured up a saying of James. This very nearly cost the elderly Eliezer his life, for he was accused of "minuth" or heresy for repeating it. The saying is the only known and reasonably authoritative extra-biblical quotation of Jesus – by his own brother – and deals with a matter of Law related to "the wages of sin".

Reference: Klausner, Joseph; Jesus of Nazareth, His Life Times and Teaching; Jerusalem ca. 1924-25

March 16, 2014 at 9:57 pm |
    • whippstippler7

I wouldn't call them "facts". Suppositions, perhaps. Possibilities. Allegations. Statements.

But facts? No – facts need to be supported by sufficient credible and reliable evidence.

Do you have any such evidence?

March 16, 2014 at 10:08 pm |
      • magicpanties

um... no

March 16, 2014 at 10:10 pm |
      • jls1950

I cited part of the evidence.

March 17, 2014 at 3:40 am |
    • realbuckyball

"and there is considerable evidence that Jesus actually worked to put his brother through school there – when they were not helping him with the family business."

-- then you will have no problem posting a good portion of this so-called "considerable" evidence (that no one other than YOU has ever heard of).

March 16, 2014 at 10:42 pm |
      • whippstippler7

And don't forget the considerable evidence that Jesus made his brothers' lunches for school – chicken salad sandwiches – which proves something or other.

March 16, 2014 at 10:55 pm |
      • jls1950

I cited a source – if you don't feel like looking it up, don't blame me for your laziness.

March 17, 2014 at 3:42 am |
        • ssq41

It is academically lazy to not cite ALL your sources and to call another lazy in the face of your own is quite childish...to be expected of a Christian.

March 17, 2014 at 3:48 am |
  17. jaydavid666

Five things I know about Jesus:
    1) He was a either a fraud or a lunatic.
    2) He was a man.
    3) He neither supported the killing of any human being for any reason, yet most of his followers support the death penalty.
    4) His followers, who call themselves "Christians", are main biggest proponents for war, genocide and corruption in the world.
    5) He is nothing.

March 16, 2014 at 9:40 pm |
    • wordsoftruth99

God loves you anyway.

March 16, 2014 at 9:41 pm |
      • whippstippler7

Did god love all of those children he killed in the Boxing Day Tsunami? How about all the people he killed in the recent Tsunami in Ja-pan? Wow – with love like that, I'll say thanks, but no thanks.

March 16, 2014 at 9:49 pm |
        • wmmsr

He still loves you, and will forgive you, all you have to do is ask.

March 16, 2014 at 9:56 pm |
        • whippstippler7

God forgive ME??? Sorry bud – I'm not the one who kills innocent children. your god is the one with a lot of apologizing to do. Hey – here's a thought. Your god is apparently all-knowing and all-powerful, right? So, in cases of child abuse, your god knows in advance that, for instance, some guy is going to ra-pe a 5 year old girl. And your god has the poster to stop that from happening. But your god allows it to happen.

Your god is a monster.

March 16, 2014 at 10:03 pm |
        • whippstippler7

Power, not poster. My keyboard is acting up. Your god has the power to stop it from happening, but chooses not to stop it from happening.

March 16, 2014 at 10:04 pm |
        • kevinite

You realize you referring to those who believe in aGod who will take the lives of everyone, no matter who they are, yet still loves each one; and believe in a God, who unlike us mortals has the big picture of eternity in mind regarding each and everyone and since you do realize you are referring to those who do believe in existence after physical death, how does referring to those who die in natural disasters really question a believer's belief that God still loves you?

March 16, 2014 at 10:04 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I have done nothing to god to have to ask forgiveness for.

March 16, 2014 at 10:07 pm |
        • whippstippler7

@ kevinite: so this god loves us so much that he allows children to be brutalized, traumatized , starved, beaten, ra-ped, abused. Why? For what end? Innocent children, subjected to horror. I'm sorry, but try to twist as much as you want – that is NOT the action of a loving god.

March 16, 2014 at 10:10 pm |
        • jbc630

Yes. He loves them all. A child doesn't understand why it has to get a shot. It hurts. That doesn't mean the doctor or the nurse isn't good.

March 16, 2014 at 10:15 pm |
        • whippstippler7

@jbc630; And could you please explain how a child getting ra-ped is good for the child? Really, really, REALLY bad comparison.

March 16, 2014 at 10:19 pm |
        • realbuckyball

Love is a human emotion. God has no human brain. Anthropomorphism is something that humans have always projected onto their deities. If horses had gods, their gods would be horses.

March 16, 2014 at 10:44 pm |
        • gotaimservices

If I may... I believe that we choose to leave out God of saving us. Yes, He has the power to stop everything but if He do wouldn't that be taking a way our free choice. He is great that He send His only Son to give us the Holy Spirit; the spirit of Him in us allow us to love one another in spite of all difference. You have a legitimate question and I probably sound off track but if you knew about rocket science I would probably not understand you either. Have a nice Sunday!

March 16, 2014 at 10:44 pm |
        • whippstippler7

@ got: So what you;re saying is that God, despite having the power to do so, chooses NOT to stop the child molester from ra-ping a 5 year old, because THAT intervention would interfere with the child molester's free will???? And that child molester's free will is more important to your god than the life of the child?

Monster. Your god is a monster.

March 16, 2014 at 10:53 pm |
        • kevinite

Once again you're referring to a being who has the big picture unlike the rest of us and although the innocent are let into horrific sutuatoins, it isn't somthing that lasts forever. In some instances if the innocent are victims of the guilty those acts are permitted to happen not because of wanting the innocent to suffer, but because it stands as an act of judgement and accountability. In other instances calamities can be a means to test ones faith.

Although I do not understand every instantance why certain horrific things happen, especially to the innocent, I do trust that there is a reason as being part of the greater picture that an all-knowing God has and that we don't have. Just like I do trust that God does really love each of us and does trually want our happiness and is concerned over our overall eternal well being; even if that does mean letting us go through a season of mortality in whch we are given trials and tribulations to face and seeing how we decide our fate with what we have been given in our mortal lives.

March 17, 2014 at 2:18 am |

kevinite,

"In some instances if the innocent are victims of the guilty those acts are permitted to happen not because of wanting the innocent to suffer, but because it stands as an act of judgement and accountability"

So God just lets the kid get horribly molested so he has an excuse to punish the perpetrator. He isn't bright enough to figure out the guy is a monster until he's all done.

Get serious. Your response was a complete joke.

March 17, 2014 at 2:22 am |
        • kevinite

Do you understand what accountability means? Even in our justice system you don't punish someone for committing something until it is actually committed. Even if you know someone is going to or is likely to commit a bad act do you take away their freedom to make their own choices. Would you like it if you were withheld from getting to choose what life you want to live because you were told that you will commit those bad acts if were given that freedom to choose even though you haven't actually committed those acts yet?

March 17, 2014 at 2:50 am |
        • wordsoftruth99

Of course He loves them. And again, He loves you even though you are blaming him and rejecting Him for your sins.

March 17, 2014 at 3:44 pm |
    • kevinite

So, how do you really know?

March 16, 2014 at 9:50 pm |
    • jbc630

How can he both nothing and a man and a fraud or lunatic?

March 16, 2014 at 10:04 pm |
  18. georgebeck4

As a devoted christian and a follower of Jesus, I rebuke your offensive comments. If you knew the truth, the truth would ve set you free, but here we are again, trying to defend the one that requires no defense, the Lord of Lords and the King of Kings!
    Jesus influenced the most our civilazation! If it wasn't for Jesus, you would still use match sticks to do math. But because of Him, now we have computers. Ask me why?

March 16, 2014 at 9:36 pm |
    • whippstippler7

Why? Why are you daring to defile the name of the one true god – Zeus – with your drivel of this false god Jesus. No – hang on. Manitou. Manitou is the one true god. Hmm – perhaps Ra. Or Thor. Yeah – Thor.

Hey – ever think that they're ALL made up?

March 16, 2014 at 9:41 pm |
      • jbc630

Jesus has a global following and has been around for 2000 years. Thor? Give me a break.

March 16, 2014 at 10:07 pm |
        • whippstippler7

So a deity who has been around longer than Jesus is more credible?

March 16, 2014 at 10:11 pm |
        • jbc630

Its the combinaton of global popularity as well as longevity that makes Jesus the better deity. Tied up with Judaism which Christianity claims it is, it is as old as monotheism itself.

March 16, 2014 at 10:28 pm |
        • whippstippler7

So, what is your basis for claiming that "global popularity" and "longevity" make for a better deity? Do those criteria make the deity more likely to be real? Santa Claus is globally popular. Is Santa Claus real? There were lots of deities around before the Abrahamic God of the bible. Are they more likely to be real because they've been around longer?

Why not present evidence to support the belief that your god actually exists. Do you have any such evidence?

March 16, 2014 at 10:45 pm |
        • jbc630

He is better because he is still here unlike the others in the list.

The universe came from somewhere.

March 17, 2014 at 1:16 am |
        • otoh2

jbc630,

1. Hinduism is much, much older than your line - something like 7,000 years old - and I wouldn't be surprised if the total number of Hindus who ever lived outstrips your numbers.

2. The population of the world at present is a bit over 7 billion.

There are approximately 2.1 billion Christians, which is around 33 per cent.

Over 2,000 years now and still 2/3rds of the world does not believe the Jesus legend. It took probably less than 50 years for the theory of gravity to be accepted world-wide... and it is the same for any other proven ideas, e.g., mathematics, the telephone, radio, engines, penicillin, etc., etc., etc.

March 16, 2014 at 10:56 pm |
        • jbc630

So you admit Jesus is better than Thor. Good:) I wasn't trying to prove Christ with a popularity fallacy as much as prove that the comparison to the gods in the list was demeaning.

March 17, 2014 at 1:22 am |

jbc630

"So you admit Jesus is better than Thor"

The Bible says that God killed all but EIGHT people on the face of the earth. How did Thor do?

March 17, 2014 at 1:26 am |

georgebeck4,

Tell us ONE technological advancement that Jesus told us about.

Also, please explain where we'd be if people used a value of 3.0 for pi like the bible says.

Get real.

March 16, 2014 at 9:41 pm |
      • jbc630

I'll tell you one technological breakthough he didn't make. The atomic bomb.

March 16, 2014 at 10:08 pm |

jbc630,

The guy who should have been the smartest person to ever live, didn't tell us ONE technological breakthrough, good or bad.

March 17, 2014 at 12:17 am |
        • jbc630

Tech is a great tool, but if we have not love we have nothing.

March 17, 2014 at 1:24 am |
    • readerpan

No need to ask why; you're talking utter nonsense.

March 16, 2014 at 9:45 pm |
    • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

I take it you have never heard of an abacus.

March 16, 2014 at 9:51 pm |
    • whippstippler7

George, why does your precious bible state that bats are birds? Why does it state that hares chew their cud? Why does it state that insects go about on all fours? Check out Leviticus to get an idea of how backward the authors were.

March 16, 2014 at 9:54 pm |
      • shon14

Chewing the cud refers to eating partially digested food. Hares do indeed chew partially digested food, but from their excretions, thus making them unclean.

March 16, 2014 at 11:49 pm |
  19. wmmsr

Just a tidbit for all: Did you know that "everything" thats right I said everything, that all humanity has first belonged to God. He gave it to you because he loves you !

March 16, 2014 at 9:35 pm |
    • whippstippler7

Just a tidbit for you. You are apparently delusional. Please seek immediate help for your mental health issues.

March 16, 2014 at 9:37 pm |
      • wmmsr

I will pray for you.

March 16, 2014 at 9:42 pm |
        • whippstippler7

Why? Praying will do nothing. Does your god answer prayers? If so, why hasn't your god ever cured an amputee? You know – someone loses a leg in an accident or to a disease, they pray for god to make them whole, and ..... cue the crickets.

Please don't waste your time talking got your imaginary friend – use that time to actually go out in the world and help your fellow humans.

March 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm |
  20. rubyhope3

Very nice sentiments about Jesus. So glad Easter is coming!

March 16, 2014 at 8:32 pm |
    • whippstippler7

Easter? Is that when Jesus sticks his head out of the cave, and if he sees his shadow, there are 6 more weeks of winter? I hope not, 'cause I'm really sick of winter!

March 16, 2014 at 8:38 pm |
      • rubyhope3

What do you do? Sit at the computer, find articles about Christianity and throw barbs at all day at people who believe? If this isn't for you, why hate on someone else for believing differently?

March 16, 2014 at 8:48 pm |
        • whippstippler7

Why? Because religion – Christianity included – is a cancer and needs to be eradicated, that's why. It has caused – and continues to cause – immeasurable suffering. You can find current videos of Christians in Africa burning people alive because they are supposedly witches. These Christians are doing what the bible commands – killing supposed witches.

March 16, 2014 at 9:35 pm |
        • readerpan

Not hate, pity. Irrationality is not a survival skill.

March 16, 2014 at 9:49 pm |
        • rubyhope3

I have no idea without evidence that what you're saying is actually happening. Even so, people do terrible things to each other all the time for many different reasons. It's ironic that you seem outraged over such atrocities, yet you are ysing your time to condemn others for simply believing differently than you do. If you are so outraged by injustice and suffering, don't you think it's better use if your time to do something about it, instead if bashing others wom you do not know? That would seem the rational thing to do if you truly care. Do you really care or are you just hate-filled??

March 16, 2014 at 10:09 pm |
        • whippstippler7

@ ruby: Here you go. Evidence. WARNING! Not for the faint of heart.

March 16, 2014 at 10:17 pm |
        • rubyhope3

Readerpan, thank you for your pity, but I do not need it. Survival skills? You care about the survival skills of religious people and that's why you must point out what you label as irrational thinking? Sorry I'm trying to make sense of that but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

March 16, 2014 at 10:17 pm |
        • rubyhope3

whipstippler, I looked at what you posted, and it seems some of this to have been carried out by relatives of the 'witches' who are looking to acquire property deeds. Some of it may be done in the name if Christianity but that is not truly Christianity. Christ did not condone murder, slavery or anything else you mentioned. Christ did away with 'an eye for an eye.'

March 16, 2014 at 10:41 pm |
        • whippstippler7

They are using the bible, which tells followers to kill witches, to justify their actions. And didn't Jesus, in Matthew 5:18, say that not a jot of the old law (the Old Testament) would be changed, and that he was here not to do away with the old law but to uphold the old law.

How about all of the good Christians who are using Christianity to support their hatred of the LGBT community?

The problem, as I see it, is that the Bible is just chock full of horrible stuff that people use to justify their horrible actions.

March 16, 2014 at 10:49 pm |
        • doobzz

Oh, put your persecution complex away. When religious people try to have their beliefs encoded into civil law, you are going to receive major push back. This is not a Christian nation, nor was it founded on Christian principles. It's a secular republic, and as such, Christianity does not get to dictate the law.

March 16, 2014 at 11:21 pm |
      • crankycanuck2

LOL!

March 16, 2014 at 8:59 pm |
      • jbc630

Christianity has also ended slavery, built hospitals, and created college. Which is the real faith?

March 16, 2014 at 10:19 pm |
        • whippstippler7

And the Bible condones slavery, ra-pe, genocide, child abuse, and a host of other horrors. Supposed Christians are burning people alive as witches in Africa. Look at the religiously inspired hate aimed at members of the LGBT community.

Religion is a cancer.

March 16, 2014 at 10:22 pm |
        • Blessed are the Cheesemakers

Christians have done some very good things, Christianity is not the same as Christians. Name one good thing Christians have accomplished that required CHristianity.... and would not have happened without it?

March 16, 2014 at 10:30 pm |
        • ssq41

Christianity "built hospitals"...easy to build, but what is done by hospital management to employees (especially RNs) and patients "in the name of Jesus and profits".

Christianity "built colleges"...and look at the results...consider those who have graduated from ORU, Liberty, and Bob Jones...to name a few.

Christianity is nothing more than show and tell...try again.

March 16, 2014 at 10:44 pm |
        • jbc630

I didn't say colleges. I said college as a concept.

March 17, 2014 at 1:14 am |
    • primatica

Happy corpse day...

March 16, 2014 at 8:42 pm |
      • rubyhope3

Gee, how original. Is that supposed to be offensive?

March 16, 2014 at 8:49 pm |
        • Akira

Are you offended?

March 16, 2014 at 8:53 pm |
        • rubyhope3

No, just puzzled. Why do you ask?

March 16, 2014 at 8:56 pm |
        • Akira

Because you asked if it was supposed to be offensive.

March 16, 2014 at 9:02 pm |
        • rubyhope3

I was being rhetorical. I'm sure this person was trying to be offensive. For what reason, I have no idea.

March 16, 2014 at 9:05 pm |
        • Akira

Probably to get a reaction. Which you gave.

March 16, 2014 at 9:09 pm |
        • rubyhope3

Oh, ok I guess that means they won. 🙂

March 16, 2014 at 9:13 pm |
    • tallulah131

Easter is a lovely pagan holiday!

March 16, 2014 at 8:46 pm |
      • rubyhope3

March 16, 2014 at 8:55 pm |
      • kevinite

It's sooo ludicrous to have a festival for renewed life overcoming death to be incorporated into Christianity go figure.

March 16, 2014 at 9:18 pm |
    • seedenbetter

Just another pagan celebration stolen by Christians to make conversion into their cult easier.

March 16, 2014 at 8:57 pm |
      • kevinite

How can you steal a celebration? I can see how you can incorporate it but not actually steal it.

March 16, 2014 at 9:31 pm |
        • readerpan

When you deny its origin and claim it as yours, that's theft.

March 16, 2014 at 9:51 pm |
        • kevinite

Just who is claiming traditions here that are not recognized as coming from somewhere else? Also. even if there were those situations where a tradition is taken and not recognized where it originated that doesn't take away the tradition itself from where the tradition originated.

March 17, 2014 at 2:34 am |