home
RSS
March 20th, 2014

Does the Big Bang breakthrough offer proof of God?

Opinion by Leslie A. Wickman, special to CNN

(CNN) The remarkable discovery, announced this week, of ripples in the space-time fabric of the universe rocked the world of science - and the world of religion.

Touted as evidence for inflation (a faster-than-the-speed-of-light expansion of our universe), the new discovery of traces of gravity waves affirms scientific concepts in the fields of cosmology, general relativity, and particle physics.

The new discovery also has significant implications for the Judeo-Christian worldview, offering strong support for biblical beliefs.

Here's how.

The prevalent theory of cosmic origins prior to the Big Bang theory was the “Steady State,” which argued that the universe has always existed, without a beginning that necessitated a cause.

However, this new evidence strongly suggests that there was a beginning to our universe.

If the universe did indeed have a beginning, by the simple logic of cause and effect, there had to be an agent – separate and apart from the effect – that caused it.

That sounds a lot like Genesis 1:1 to me: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth.”

So this latest discovery is good news for us believers, as it adds scientific support to the idea that the universe was caused – or created – by something or someone outside it and not dependent on it.

MORE ON CNN: Big Bang breakthrough announced; gravitational waves detected

Atheist-turned-agnostic astronomer Fred Hoyle, who coined the term “Big Bang,” famously stated, “A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics."

As Hoyle saw it, the Big Bang was not a chaotic explosion, but rather a very highly ordered event – one that could not have occurred by random chance.

We also need to remember that God reveals himself both through scripture and creation. The challenge is in seeing how they fit together. A better understanding of each can inform our understanding of the other.

It’s not just about cracking open the Bible and reading whatever we find there from a 21st-century American perspective. We have to study the context, the culture, the genre, the authorship and the original audience to understand the intent.

The creation message in Genesis tells us that God created a special place for humans to live and thrive and be in communion with him; that God wants a relationship with us, and makes provisions for us to have fellowship with him, even after we turn away from him.

So, we know that Genesis was never intended to be a detailed scientific handbook, describing how God created the universe. It imparts a theological, not a scientific, message.

(Imagine how confusing messages about gravity waves and dark matter might be to ancient Hebrew readers.)

As a modern believer and a scientist, when I look up at the sky on a clear starry night, I am reminded that “the heavens declare the glory of God” (Psalm 19:1). I am in awe of the complexity of the physical world, and how all of its pieces fit together so perfectly and synergistically.

In the Old Testament book of Jeremiah, the writer tells us that God “established (his) covenant with day and night, and with the fixed laws of heaven and earth.”

These physical laws established by God to govern interactions between matter and energy result in a finely tuned universe that provides the ideal conditions for life on our planet.

As we observe the complexity of the cosmos, from subatomic particles to dark matter and dark energy, we quickly conclude that there must be a more satisfying explanation than random chance. Properly practiced, science can be an act of worship in looking at God’s revelation of himself in nature.

If God is truly the creator, then he will reveal himself through what he’s created, and science is a tool we can use to uncover those wonders.

Leslie Wickman is director of the Center for Research in Science at Azusa Pacific University. Wickman has also been an engineer for Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space, where she worked on NASA's Hubble Space Telescope and International Space Station programs. The views expressed in this column belong to Wickman.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Culture & Science • Faith • Opinion • Science

« Previous entry
soundoff (4,918 Responses)
  1. timothyclee

This is a very silly article. Why is the "evidence" for god bar always set so low by religious people? They see god in every shadow or grilled cheese sandwich. If god is there, couldn't he just show himself and be done with it – why all the cloak & dagger?

March 22, 2014 at 12:02 am |
  2. whozgod

Do i get a heaven appointed lawyer when Im judged?

March 22, 2014 at 12:02 am |

whozgod,

Sorry, but there aren't any available there.

March 22, 2014 at 12:08 am |
      • whozgod

Thats okay. Tony Alamo said God has forgiving him. So I'm thinking I am good.

March 22, 2014 at 12:13 am |
  3. fhillscitizen

Many religions, both monotheistic and polytheistic, just on this planet alone. All believe their one is right and the followers of the others are going to burn. Add in Drakes equation, where there could be 1000s or even millions of advanced civilzations in this galaxy alone. Multiplied by possibly 100 billion galaxies or more.

And you think your religion is the right one??

The bottom line – There might be a God. There might not be a God. We may never know. But odds are there is a 99.99999999999999 % chance your relgion is a false one.

March 21, 2014 at 11:55 pm |
    • wilburw7

Jesus rose from the dead and settled the matter once and for all. "It is done."

March 21, 2014 at 11:57 pm |
      • kwilco

Says who?

March 22, 2014 at 12:07 am |
        • wilburw7

Your judge the Almighty God.

March 22, 2014 at 1:12 am |
      • fhillscitizen

Within the 1 QUADRILLION religions in the universe, that story is probably repeated 10000 times or more...at least.

March 22, 2014 at 12:15 am |
    • islamistheanswer

Glad you asked this question! This in particular is a quick and easy way to instill doubt into the Christian faith altogether (As a Muslim, we believe in Jesus' prophecy but we believe that the book was corrupted and not preserved) Check out my post below on what the Quran says about Jesus but most importantly is that God is the same God for all civilizations (and only makes sense if He is the same, since we believe that He is FAIR). IT could only be fair that all humans have an equal chance and opportunity at following His commandments. In Islam, all the Prophets that were sent ( roughly 25 if I recall correctly) who were mentioned in the Quran to their nations preached the same monotheistic message, WORSHIP the ONE God who created you! Below is a verse from the Quran to help you understand the Islamic Perspective!

Indeed, We have revealed to you, [O Muhammad], as We revealed to Noah and the prophets after him. And we revealed to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, the Descendants, Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon, and to David We gave the book [of Psalms]. (163) And [We sent] messengers about whom We have related [their stories] to you before and messengers about whom We have not related to you. And Allah spoke to Moses with [direct] speech. (164) [We sent] messengers as bringers of good tidings and warners ,so that mankind will have no argument against Allah after the messengers. And ever is Allah Exalted in Might and Wise. (165) Quran chapter 4

March 22, 2014 at 12:29 am |
  4. whozgod

I Believe In People. I don't understand why we hold people accountable but not faith.

God came to me last night and told me to expect a flood that will last until Russell Crowe gets paid.

Religion is Big Business. Believe that!

March 21, 2014 at 11:54 pm |
    • kwilco

I believe!

March 22, 2014 at 12:08 am |
    • islamistheanswer

Disagree! I don't blame you for saying the above. Christianity has drifted away from the core teachings and message that people use it as a means of earnings! Check out Islam where Mosques and Community Centers are run solely based on volunteer basis with the exception of the Imam (Salaried) and perhaps an administrator (depending on the size of the congregation). Everything else is done by volunteers in the community and any donations that come in are for operations and/or funds to help the needy (No business involved). Looking around I can see why you formed such an opinion. Please check out my post below for details of what Islam says about Jesus (Peace and Blessings be upon him)

March 22, 2014 at 12:21 am |
      • whozgod

I don't know how you associate volunteering with big business. What I saying is religion is exploited for capital gain these days.

March 22, 2014 at 1:07 am |
        • islamistheanswer

Sorry for the confusion! That was the microscopic level, the macroscopic is an extrapolation of the microscopic. In other words, if these are the pillars of the building, I could only (for the most part) expect that the building will build on the qualities of those pillars (they are the one's supporting the building).

March 22, 2014 at 1:09 am |
  5. islamistheanswer

Posted this in response to a question elsewhere within this forum but I thought of sharing it with you all for the following reasons: 1. Informational of what the Quran says about Jesus (Peace and Blessings upon him) – this is important for my fellow Christians. 2. For our Atheist and Agnostic friends who cling on "inaccuracies" in the Bible and the whole concept of trinity (which a lot of Christians struggle with) – After reading those verses, you shouldn't take the Quran lightly in your endeavor to "save" those believing souls!

Thank you for this question. In a nutshell, The Quran has a unique perspective on Jesus and on resurrection! Muslims believe that Jesus (Peace and Blessings be upon him and his mother, Mary) was a special prophet and that he was not crucified nor was he killed. We believe that he was taken to heaven by God and that he will return one day to this earth. We believe on his return that this planet will be very peaceful and that marks the end of this life (his return is one of the major signs of the nearness of the day of judgement). We believe his return will be upon the spread of the message that the Anti-Christ will carry through. We believe in all the miracles of Jesus (Peace and Blessings be upon him) in addition to more miracles that the Quran mentions. Mohammed (Peace and Blessings be upon him), the Prophet of Islam emphasized that Muslims don't do what nations before did with their Prophets in making them associates of ALLAH (God). Below are some of the verses of the Quran addressing and explaining Jesus' status in Islam to ponder about.

Same God, Same Message!
    They say, "Be Jews or Christians [so] you will be guided." Say, "Rather, [we follow] the religion of Abraham, inclining toward truth, and he was not of the polytheists."(135) Say, [O believers], "We have believed in Allah and what has been revealed to us and what has been revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the Descendants and what was given to Moses and Jesus and what was given to the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him." (136) So if they believe in the same as you believe in, then they have been [rightly] guided; but if they turn away, they are only in dissension, and Allah will be sufficient for you against them. And He is the Hearing, the Knowing. (137) Quran Chapter 2

Jesus with a higher degree!
    Those messengers – some of them We caused to exceed others. Among them were those to whom Allah spoke, and He raised some of them in degree. And We gave Jesus, the Son of Mary, clear proofs, and We supported him with the Pure Spirit. If Allah had willed, those [generations] succeeding them would not have fought each other after the clear proofs had come to them. But they differed, and some of them believed and some of them disbelieved. And if Allah had willed, they would not have fought each other, but Allah does what He intends.(253) Quran Chapter 2

Jesus Raised to Heaven!
    [Mention] when Allah said, "O Jesus, indeed I will take you and raise you to Myself and purify you from those who disbelieve and make those who follow you [in submission to Allah alone] superior to those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection. Then to Me is your return, and I will judge between you concerning that in which you used to differ. (55) Quran Chapter 3

Jesus is like Adam!
    Indeed, the example of Jesus to Allah is like that of Adam. He created Him from dust; then He said to him, "Be," and he was. (59) Quran Chapter 3

Jesus was not Crucified nor Killed!
    And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain. (157) Rather, Allah raised him to Himself. And ever is Allah Exalted in Might and Wise.(158) Quran Chapter 3

Quran and Trinity!
    O People of the Scripture, do not commit excess in your religion or say about Allah except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allah and His word which He directed to Mary and a soul [created at a command] from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. And do not say, "Three"; desist – it is better for you. Indeed, Allah is but one God. Exalted is He above having a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. And sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs. (171) Quran Chapter 4

Jesus' Message is Guidance!
    And We sent, following in their footsteps, Jesus, the son of Mary, confirming that which came before him in the Torah; and We gave him the Gospel, in which was guidance and light and confirming that which preceded it of the Torah as guidance and instruction for the righteous. (46) Quran Chapter 5

On Trinity Again and Disbelief
    They have certainly disbelieved who say, "Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary" while the Messiah has said, "O Children of Israel, worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord." Indeed, he who associates others with Allah – Allah has forbidden him Paradise, and his refuge is the Fire. And there are not for the wrongdoers any helpers.(72) They have certainly disbelieved who say, "Allah is the third of three." And there is no god except one God. And if they do not desist from what they are saying, there will surely afflict the disbelievers among them a painful punishment. (73) So will they not repent to Allah and seek His forgiveness? And Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.(74) The Messiah, son of Mary, was not but a messenger; [other] messengers have passed on before him. And his mother was a supporter of truth. They both used to eat food. Look how We make clear to them the signs; then look how they are deluded. (75) Say, "Do you worship besides Allah that which holds for you no [power of] harm or benefit while it is Allah who is the Hearing, the Knowing?" (76) Quran Chapter 5

Jesus Miracles in the Quran
    [Be warned of] the Day when Allah will assemble the messengers and say, "What was the response you received?" They will say, "We have no knowledge. Indeed, it is You who is Knower of the unseen" (109)[The Day] when Allah will say, "O Jesus, Son of Mary, remember My favor upon you and upon your mother when I supported you with the Pure Spirit and you spoke to the people in the cradle and in maturity; and [remember] when I taught you writing and wisdom and the Torah and the Gospel; and when you designed from clay [what was] like the form of a bird with My permission, then you breathed into it, and it became a bird with My permission; and you healed the blind and the leper with My permission; and when you brought forth the dead with My permission; and when I restrained the Children of Israel from [killing] you when you came to them with clear proofs and those who disbelieved among them said, "This is not but obvious magic." (110) Quran Chapter 5

Jesus Never said he was the Son of God (According to the Quran)
    And [beware the Day] when Allah will say, "O Jesus, Son of Mary, did you say to the people, 'Take me and my mother as deities besides Allah?'" He will say, "Exalted are You! It was not for me to say that to which I have no right. If I had said it, You would have known it. You know what is within myself, and I do not know what is within Yourself. Indeed, it is You who is Knower of the unseen. (116) I said not to them except what You commanded me – to worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord. And I was a witness over them as long as I was among them; but when You took me up, You were the Observer over them, and You are, over all things, Witness. (117) If You should punish them – indeed they are Your servants; but if You forgive them – indeed it is You who is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.(118) Quran Chapter 5

More on what Jesus (Peace and Blessings be Upon him) Said
    [Jesus] said, "Indeed, I am the servant of Allah. He has given me the Scripture and made me a prophet. (30) And He has made me blessed wherever I am and has enjoined upon me prayer and zakah as long as I remain alive (31) And [made me] dutiful to my mother, and He has not made me a wretched tyrant. (32) And peace is on me the day I was born and the day I will die and the day I am raised alive." (33) That is Jesus, the son of Mary – the word of truth about which they are in dispute. (34) It is not [befitting] for Allah to take a son; exalted is He! When He decrees an affair, He only says to it, "Be," and it is. (35)[Jesus said], "And indeed, Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him. That is a straight path." (36) Then the factions differed [concerning Jesus] from among them, so woe to those who disbelieved – from the scene of a tremendous Day. (37) How [clearly] they will hear and see the Day they come to Us, but the wrongdoers today are in clear error. (38) Quran Chapter 19 (Mary)

March 21, 2014 at 11:46 pm |
    • realbuckyball

Too bad. Not "same god". The god Sin was not Yahweh.
      Do try and learn some history.

March 21, 2014 at 11:48 pm |
      • islamistheanswer

In prior posts, I refuted claims made by you in Mr. Spencer video regarding whether Mohammed (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and you conveniently ignored those refutations (even though you were insistent that I can't refute even one of those claims). Before you throw words right and left, carry out the debate/discussion and show why what you say makes sense. Meanwhile, I urge you to respond to my refutations – otherwise, it is understood that you have little to none knowledge of Islam and just use available content on the internet in an effort to counter opinions that don't suit your rational/logic!

March 22, 2014 at 12:02 am |
    • wilburw7

What you wrote is total blasphemy. Instead the truth is that Jesus is God and Allah is Satan.

March 21, 2014 at 11:50 pm |
      • observer

“Whoever does any work on a holy day - put to death”
        “anyone who blasphemes - stone him.”
        “worship other gods - stone the guilty ones to death”
        “stubborn and rebellious son - stone him to death.”
        “man is found lying with a married woman - both of them shall die”
        “virgin engaged to another man and he lies with her - stone them to death”
        “Whoever strikes his father or his mother - put to death”
        "Anyone who says cruel things to his father or mother - put to death.”
        “anyone who curses his father or his mother - put to death”
        “man who commits adultery with another man's wife - they shall be put to death.”
        "man or woman who is a medium or a fortune-teller - stone them to death"

From the Quran? Nope. From the Bible

March 21, 2014 at 11:56 pm |
        • wilburw7

I know so? I already taught you the meaning of the old law. How many times must this be explained to you? Jesus himself already explained that. What sounds more God-like than "Treat others the way you want to be treated." "Love your enemy."

March 22, 2014 at 12:00 am |

wilburw7,

Was that the way God COMMANDED that the world be run when he set up all the rules? YES or NO?

Was it the SAME perfect "unchanging" God in both testaments? YES or NO?

March 22, 2014 at 12:02 am |
        • wilburw7

observer, God did not change. We humans failed to obey God. We failed, not God.

March 22, 2014 at 12:07 am |

wilburw7,

Was it the SAME perfect "unchanging" God in both testaments? YES or NO?

March 22, 2014 at 12:10 am |
        • wilburw7

observer, If God did not put the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the the Garden of Eden nor created Satan, the nature of Adam and Eve would still have been the same just not revealed. The old laws were created to show the need for redemption through the Jewish Messiah. This was decided by a never changing God before the foundation of the world. God is perfect and all knowing.

March 22, 2014 at 12:17 am |

wilburw7,

"Due to the hardness of ancient Israel’s heart, God tolerated (and regulated) some things under the Old Law that He did not endorse."

Quit MAKING UP THINGS. Here's what the Bible ACTUALLY says, not your fantasy.

OOOPS. Jesus didn't say GOD permitted it (it was NOT this way from the beginning), but that MOSES permitted it.

Try telling the truth.

March 22, 2014 at 12:25 am |
        • wilburw7

observer I wrote this: "Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning."

before you did. Look at the comments made below and check the time stamps. I wrote it before you did. Why do you tell me that verse and how come you are incapable of understanding that exact verse. Tell me. What do you think the reason for Jesus to make that statement? It never even occurred to you what Jesus was trying to say. You appear to be trying to find a technicality to make me look bad. Me telling you these things is a waste of my time. I spend the energy giving you an honest response and then you look for anything to try and discredit and mock me. You are wasting my time.

March 22, 2014 at 1:00 am |
        • Dalahäst

-Try telling the truth.-

He might be wrong, but that doesn't mean he is not lying.

But really, you seem to be missing the point. God gave Moses the laws. So what he was saying is actually correct.

March 22, 2014 at 1:01 am |
        • Dalahäst

-You are wasting my time.-

Yep.

March 22, 2014 at 1:02 am |

wilburw7,

FACT: Jesus said "it was not this way from the beginning.". Apparently that means when GOD set up things long before Moses.

FACT: Jesus said "MOSES permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard." If the command was from God, Jesus would have cut out the middleman.

FACT: The entire discussion was about MOSES PERMITTING DIVORCE, not "God permitting divorce".

Stick to FACTS and not your wishful fantasies.

March 22, 2014 at 1:10 am |

Dalahäst,

Apparently your view of "context" is that the word "God" is the same as the word "Moses" who actually lived on earth.

Stick with the ACTUAL WORDS in the Bible instead of wishful thinking.

March 22, 2014 at 1:14 am |

Dalahäst wrote:
          "I've never heard anyone seriously argue the points you are trying to make. Have you not studied any theology or attempted to put what the OT describes into context?"

_________________________

What I am saying is right out of the Bible. There is no need for any interpretation. Jesus Christ directly addressed the issue. It is not debatable whatsoever.

He [Jesus] responded: Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for s3xual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery."

Actual words by Jesus Christ: "Moses...permitted you to divorce."
          "And I [Jesus Christ] say to you, whoever divorces his wife...commits adultery [one of the ten commandments]"

March 22, 2014 at 4:11 am |
      • islamistheanswer

wilburw7. Please read the verses before you respond. I am sure you never read or heard of what the Quran says about Jesus (Peace and Blessings upon him). You might be surprised to learn things that the current bible as you know it today doesn't teach you about him! Read my brother!

March 21, 2014 at 11:57 pm |

"I and the Father are one.” - Jesus Christ

March 22, 2014 at 12:06 am |
        • islamistheanswer

Remember I told you that the word of God (ALLAH) is the highest of speech (as it ought to be coming from God). Had you read the verses above, you would have noticed the following:

The Messiah, son of Mary, was not but a messenger; [other] messengers have passed on before him. And his mother was a supporter of truth. They both used to eat food. Look how We make clear to them the signs; then look how they are deluded. (5:75)

Please emotions aside, ALLAH used the best of speech to imply that they also used the bathroom! but he told us that by saying that they used to eat food. How could this be God? ALLAH (God) is Exalted from all those analogies and he is ONE without any partners. As you read the verses, make an attempt to understand what they say without anger, emotion and/or prejudgment!

March 22, 2014 at 12:14 am |

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me" - Jesus Christ

March 22, 2014 at 12:53 am |
        • islamistheanswer

Coincidence that Prophet Jesus and Prophet Mohammed (Peace and Blessings Upon both of them and the rest of the Prophets) both were shepherds! The way of the Prophets!

March 22, 2014 at 12:56 am |

wilburw7

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me" – Jesus Christ

Yep. SHEEP. Not deep-thinkers and logical people, but SHEEP.

March 22, 2014 at 12:55 am |
        • otoh2

wilbur & islamis

Shepherds protect their sheep for a few reasons:

- Profit from their wool
          - Profit from their flesh and skins at slaughter
          - A tasty meal

March 22, 2014 at 12:58 am |
        • islamistheanswer

otoh2, Do you have any idea what the job of a shepherd entails? In addition to what you mentioned, one of the MOST important trait a shepherd develops and attains is PATIENCE! Clearly, the path of all Prophets through which they faced hardships and difficulties to deliver the message – being a shepherd in addition to teaching them to CARE and PROTECT their flock, it teaches them to be PATIENT in calling people to the way of the Creator (ALLAH)!

March 22, 2014 at 1:03 am |
        • otoh2

Imagine your "Mohammad" and your "Jesus" dressed head-to-toe in wool and fleece and chowing down on lovely lamb brochettes!

March 22, 2014 at 1:03 am |
        • islamistheanswer

Out of context! Not sure what in my post or comments instigated the above comment. I know it gets unprofessional with wilburw7 at times but I would hope that you are not calibrated to view all "Believers" with the same binoculars.

March 22, 2014 at 1:07 am |

observer wrote:"wilburw7
          Yep. SHEEP. Not deep-thinkers and logical people, but SHEEP."

Why do you deeply think that I quote Christians like:Nicolaus Copernicus, Johannes Kepler, Galileo Galilei, Rene Descartes, Blaise Pascal, Robert Boyle, Michael Faraday, Gregor Mendel, Louise Pasteur, James Clerk Maxwell, Max Plank, Robert Goddard, Werner von Braun, Francis Bacon, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Handel, John F Kennedy, Martin Luther King J.

These Christians were not deep thinkers?

March 22, 2014 at 1:07 am |
      • kwilco

Well, that's rude.

March 22, 2014 at 12:09 am |
        • wilburw7

The truth can be very rude.

March 22, 2014 at 1:08 am |
        • islamistheanswer

Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good instruction, and argue with them in a way that is best. Indeed, your Lord is most knowing of who has strayed from His way, and He is most knowing of who is [rightly] guided. (125) Quran Chapter 16

March 22, 2014 at 1:13 am |
      • islamistheanswer

Jesus from an Islamic Perspective. Great watch. This is obviously directed to fellow Christians but definitely to Atheists and Agnostics so that they stop bashing Christianity. All the things you question and make mockery of are addressed in the Quran. Your LOGIC is respected, Your REASONING is encouraged. Would be interested in your feedback!

March 22, 2014 at 6:14 pm |
    • islamistheanswer

You might be wondering about Mohammed (Peace and Blessings be upon him and all the prophets before him) and how he is viewed in Islam (and the Quran that was revealed through him) as compared to Jesus in terms of his status

Muhammad is not but a messenger. [Other] messengers have passed on before him. So if he was to die or be killed, would you turn back on your heels [to unbelief]? And he who turns back on his heels will never harm Allah at all; but Allah will reward the grateful. (144) Quran Chapter 3

Notice that although the Quran was revealed through Prophet Mohammed (Peace and Blessings be upon him and all the prophets before him), the core message therein remained the same until today. ALLAH (God) is ONE and messengers and Prophets were sent to rely the message to humanity. Nothing special even for Prophet Mohammed (Peace and Blessings be upon him and all the prophets before him). Hope this also helps.

March 22, 2014 at 12:54 am |
    • whozgod

You sound like my Priest.

March 22, 2014 at 1:18 am |
  6. fhillscitizen

"Cause and effect" is a time-concept, the principle being that the cause comes BEFORE the effect. Simple concept, I know, but heres one that is a bit tougher to get: time, or more specifically space-time, was created at the big bang too. Therefore, there was no "before" the big bang as there was no time prior to the big bang.

March 21, 2014 at 11:29 pm |
  7. soleilmd

Atheists usually go with science. Well here are some extremely strong evidence that the universe had a beginning. Since it is the case, it MUST have a Cause.

March 21, 2014 at 11:28 pm |
    • seedenbetter

How does that make you conclude that it must have a cause?

March 21, 2014 at 11:46 pm |
    • fhillscitizen

There was no before as there was no time. Space-time didnt exist so there was no time so there was no before. MC∞ = E∞

March 22, 2014 at 12:00 am |
  8. wilburw7

When you stand before an Almighty God at judgment, saying you don't have any proof isn't going to be a legal defense.

March 21, 2014 at 11:09 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Why should we be on trial to need a "defence"?

March 21, 2014 at 11:12 pm |
      • wilburw7

Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English.

March 21, 2014 at 11:20 pm |
      • soleilmd

Because every human is going to answer for his actions. Ppl believe there's no real justice... On the Day of Judgment matters are going to be settled. The rapists, liars, killers, opressors... They all going to answer to God for what they have done. Some ppl believe there's no purpose of life, you just live your and die. Others like myself believe that life has a purpose.

March 21, 2014 at 11:27 pm |
    • bostontola

Are you worried, at all, that you will be reincarnated according to the Hindu religion, you haven't live according to their precepts so you'll come back as slime mold?

That is exactly how worried I am that I'll be answering to your God.

March 21, 2014 at 11:27 pm |

wilburw7,

How are you going to explain to him why you didn't support slavery like he does or discrimination against women like he does or discrimination against the handicapped like he did or (hopefully) not beating your children with rods like he insists on?

March 21, 2014 at 11:28 pm |
      • wilburw7

The real question is why do you need to hear the answer so many times? You never understand and you keep asking he same question.

In Matthew 19:3-10, the Pharisees came to Jesus, attempting to trap Him with questions about the Old Law. They asked: “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason?” Jesus informed them that divorce was not in God’s plan from the beginning. Thinking they had trapped Him, they inquired: “Why, then, did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce and to put her away?” If it was in the Old Law, they suggested, then it must be God’s ideal will. But Jesus’ answer quickly stopped that line of thinking.

He responded: Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for s3xual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.

Jesus’ point was crystal clear—some things permitted in the Old Testament did not necessarily represent the ideal. Due to the hardness of ancient Israel’s heart, God tolerated (and regulated) some things under the Old Law that He did not endorse. As He did so, however, He progressively revealed. His divine will to mankind, clarifying that will more fully through Christ.
        Many of the injunctions found in the Old Testament pertaining to slavery fall into the category of regulating something that was “less than ideal.”

March 21, 2014 at 11:47 pm |

wilburw7,

"some things permitted in the Old Testament did not necessarily represent the ideal. Due to the hardness of ancient Israel’s heart, God tolerated (and regulated) some things under the Old Law that He did not endorse"

So God didn't give the correct PERFECT answer, he just went along to be politically correct.

So do you think God supports gay marriage now to be politically correct?

Where did Jesus say that we don't have to BEAT helpless children with rods like God endorsed?

March 22, 2014 at 12:16 am |
  9. teerandaz0001

Like they say...the devil can cite Scripture for his purpose. I can't for the life of me see how this author made the connection between the recent discovery and God. I don't know when we will realize that we humans are too comically puny to be trying to fathom the infinite nature of the forces that brought us about. We will probably never be able to figure that out...but that is not going to stop future attempts like this author's. A seeker of truth can never subscribe to any religion, esp the organized kind....and the universe certainly was not created so that you and I could have a rollicking good time in it...as the author seems to suggest. To believe in such babble is to practically admit that we, at some level, are mentally challenged.

March 21, 2014 at 11:03 pm |
  10. thesaxguru

Let's set all the name-calling and irrational thinking aside. The Big Bang Theory, as presented by scientists, does not give a rational or even suggested answer to how the universe began. It's impossible, period, that the universe always existed. To believe otherwise defies the very science on which the BBT is based.

March 21, 2014 at 10:49 pm |
    • 77tucker

De Nihilo Nihil (nothing comes out of nothing). It's impossible for there to be absolutely nothing. Before the Big Bang there was something out there such as many other universes. The infinite and eternal Universes were not created because they have always been there. Therefore, there is no Creator (male deity).

March 22, 2014 at 12:57 am |
  11. edlf2014

I believe in God. I am not interested in 'proof' of God, or 'proof' there is no God. My faith is stronger than any so-called 'proof'. I am the decider, my faith supersedes any 'proof'.

March 21, 2014 at 10:32 pm |
    • whippstippler7

Of course. Faith is the reason why people believe things when there is no good evidence or reason to believe them. It really is amazing to see how those who want to maintain the grip of religion on the minds of its followers have made faith a virtue, instead of the vice that it actually is. Putting a high value on faith is putting a high value on gullibility – a valuable attribute if you want to manipulate and control people.

March 21, 2014 at 10:43 pm |
      • readerpan

Faith in "god" is considered by christians, jews and muslims as a virtue while faith in fairies, elves, leprechauns, and a myriad other fantasmagorical beings is a sign of insanity.

March 21, 2014 at 11:03 pm |

Well said.

March 21, 2014 at 11:23 pm |
    • LinCA

@edlf2014

You said, "I believe in God."
      What makes your god any different from the Tooth Fairy?

You said, "I am not interested in 'proof' of God, or 'proof' there is no God."
      That sounds like you are afraid of what you might find.

You said, "My faith is stronger than any so-called 'proof'. I am the decider, my faith supersedes any 'proof'."
      Some would call that willful ignorance.

March 21, 2014 at 10:43 pm |
      • wilburw7

Because faith is highly valued by God.

March 21, 2014 at 11:25 pm |
        • LinCA

@wilburw7

You said, "Because faith is highly valued by God."
          Of course you believe it does because without faith it wouldn't even survive a day. Silly beliefs are entirely dependent on faith as they don't survive even a cursory rational examination.

So do the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and imaginary friends. Once children reach an age at which they are capable of even limited rational thought their imaginary friends disappear.

March 22, 2014 at 2:40 pm |
  12. untaimed18

Well I keep asking, "What kind? Which one of them?" Why does it have to be the Christian God when he is one of the youngest of civilization???

March 21, 2014 at 10:31 pm |
  13. wyattearp49

Grasping at straws. This comes across as very desperate religious thrashing. Mapping the bible to the big bang and evolution of the universe is like mapping a phone book to a DNA strand.

March 21, 2014 at 10:25 pm |
  14. whippstippler7

If god was the agent that created the universe, what was the agent that created God? and what was the agent that created the agent that created God? And so on. And so on.

And, for the sake of argument assuming that there was some initial agent that started the universe – a god – there is absolutely no reason to then conclude that that god is the god of the Christian Bible. No reason whatsoever.

March 21, 2014 at 10:19 pm |
  15. pitchforker

Only God could have inflated the universe faster than the speed of light. Einstein said so.

March 21, 2014 at 9:49 pm |
    • ramblingsofnihility

Liar.

March 21, 2014 at 10:00 pm |
      • Dalahäst

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

March 22, 2014 at 12:21 am |
        • ramblingsofnihility

I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

March 22, 2014 at 12:27 am |
        • Dalahäst

“The more I study science, the more I believe in God.”

–Albert Einstein

March 22, 2014 at 12:33 am |
        • islamistheanswer

We will show them Our signs in the horizons and within themselves until it becomes clear to them that it is the truth. But is it not sufficient concerning your Lord that He is, over all things, a Witness? (53) Unquestionably, they are in doubt about the meeting with their Lord. Unquestionably He is, of all things, encompassing. (54) Quran Chapter 41

March 22, 2014 at 12:37 am |
        • 77tucker

"If there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs, it would be Buddhism." Albert Einstein

March 22, 2014 at 1:01 am |
    • readerpan

Einstein was a fornicator...why do you follow him?

March 21, 2014 at 11:06 pm |
      • christophercamacho4

Your parents were fornicators too. Your point?

March 21, 2014 at 11:43 pm |
    • observer

“The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. … For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish supersti-tions.”

- Albert Einstein, letter 1/3/1954

March 21, 2014 at 11:11 pm |

"God our Lord is God indeed." - James Clerk Maxwell (created Maxwell
        equations–that form the foundation of classical electrodynamics,
        classical optics, and electric circuits, based on Faraday's work, and
        used in the theory of relativity)

"I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by
        those who were inspired. I study the Bible daily."– Isaac Newton

“Though death brings the thought of judgment, it also brings to the
        Christian thought of Him [Jesus Christ] who died, rose again for the
        justification of those who believe in Him.” –Michael Faraday

"The Gospel comprises indeed, and unfolds, the whole mystey of man's
        redemption, as far forth as it is necessary to be known for our
        salvation."– Robert Boyle (founder of Modern Chemistry)

“God existed before there were human beings on Earth" - Max Planck
        (Founder of Quantum Physics)

“The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the
        Creator. Into his tiniest creatures, God has placed extraordinary
        properties ...” - Louis Pasteur (Germ Theory, Pasteurization)

March 21, 2014 at 11:38 pm |
        • observer

"We have no right to assume that any physical laws exist, or if they have existed up to now, that they will continue to exist in a similar manner in the future."

Max Planck, The Universe in the Light of Modern Physics (1931) and opponent to universal suffrage

March 21, 2014 at 11:54 pm |
      • Dalahäst

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human understanding, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

– Albert Einstein

March 22, 2014 at 12:15 am |

Dalahäst,

Einstein DID NOT believe in the same God that is in the Bible.

"It was, of course, a LIE what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

- Albert Einstein, letter to an atheist, 2/24/1954

March 22, 2014 at 12:53 am |
        • Dalahäst

I know. I never said he did.

He also had some good things to say about the Bible, Christianity, God and religion later in his life.

I also appreciate that he noted that some non-believers can act just as bigoted as some believers do. I can relate to that observation.

March 22, 2014 at 12:56 am |
  16. ph8e

I just signed up for an account so I could say that this piece presented prehaps the worst argument I've ever read, and that's saying a lot. I've never face palmed quite so hard.

March 21, 2014 at 9:49 pm |
    • LinCA

Welcome to the BB. I hope your face will be OK.

March 21, 2014 at 9:54 pm |
    • bostontola

I am astonished that a scientist would think as illogically as Dr. Wickman.

March 21, 2014 at 9:57 pm |
      • readerpan

Engineer, not really a scientist.

March 21, 2014 at 11:07 pm |
      • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Engineering is founded on the same mathematical and scientific principles as 'pure' science.

It is applied science. It is also possible for engineers (as appears to be the case here) to maintain a cognitive dissonance regarding the science of origins and the practical application of mechanics or electronics.

March 21, 2014 at 11:12 pm |
      • wilburw7

"You may well ask, "Where does God come into this," to me, that's almost a pointless question. If you believe in God at all, there is no particular "where"—He is always there, everywhere….To me, God is personal yet omnipresent. " - Charles H. Townes (Nobel Prize winner. Inventor of the maser and laser. First to observe an
        interstellar molecule)

March 21, 2014 at 11:43 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Welcome.

Bad as it is, it won't be the worst argument you've read for too long. Not if you read the articles, and certainly not if you read the comments.

March 21, 2014 at 11:08 pm |
  17. rj48203

"Imagine how confusing messages about gravity waves and dark matter might be to ancient Hebrew readers." No more confusing than those messages are to about 99% of today's readers. To state that everything has a cause is reasonable. To state that all currently unknown causes must be attributed to whatever god happens to be in style at the time? Not so much.

March 21, 2014 at 9:45 pm |
  18. tsukaira

"Atheist-turned-agnostic astronomer Fred Hoyle" Wait...WHAT?

March 21, 2014 at 9:14 pm |
  19. ritz347

> Atheist-turned-agnostic astronomer Fred Hoyle, who coined the term “Big Bang,”

First off, Fred Hoyle never believed in the Big Bang. The wording in this opinion piece suggests that he was one of its major proponents, he wasn't. Secondly, he was a staunch anti-theist and atheist, agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive positions and he died an atheist. Thirdly, he was a staunch supporter of several ideas that were either A) untested and unproven or B) disproven. He even thought the flu came from outer space (contrary to just about every shred of evidence...) He was an intelligent man but incredibly stubborn and close minded (especially for a scientist).

Also, the answer to the question posed by this opinion piece is "No."

March 21, 2014 at 9:00 pm |
    • bostontola

Hoyle was a different bird, but he was the key contributor to the nucleosynthesis theory, that secures him as one of the big scientists of the 20th century. He was different in that he followed intuition to a fault, but his technical skill was real.

March 21, 2014 at 9:37 pm |
    • anxovies

I also found it ironic that somebody who claims to be a scientist would quote Fred Hoyle as if he were an authority on the theory. Hoyle coined the name "Big Bang" as a term of derision. As the evidence for the theory increased he stubbornly debunked it until he finally conceded under the mass of evidence. Like another commenter here, I also do not see a correlation between the Big Bang and a Biblical God. I looks like another instance of religious humans trying to tell God how to do things. The colossal size and scope of the Universe belies a God who peeks in our bedrooms and gets angry if we do not kow-tow to Him at every opportunity. If anything, what some call God appears to be a physical process. If there is an intelligence behind it all I doubt that it concerns itself with our affairs and may not even be aware of our existence.

March 21, 2014 at 11:18 pm |
  20. minuano72

It saddens me that with every new, amazing scientific discovery the discussion is somehow hijacked by the religious. It's clear that they are totally opposed to changing their mind on the topic; no matter how much evidence the other side puts up.

March 21, 2014 at 8:52 pm |
    • sveidrisson

Dude, let them have their beliefs. This article is about the religious accepting scientific evidence. As far as I'm concerned, that's progress.

March 21, 2014 at 9:35 pm |
    • Dalahäst

Some of our new and amazing scientific discoveries come from people who happen to be religious – and they certainly are not trying to "hijack" it. I've seen plenty of religious and non-religious people attempt to "hijack" science and fail. Don't be sad. Science will be ok. I thank God for science and fully embrace it.

March 21, 2014 at 9:43 pm |
    • wilburw7

I was just thinking the exact opposite. I am wonder what interesting conversations we could have if the conversation wasn't dominated trying defend our faith to atheists regarding scientific topics. Atheists are always trying to stigmatized belittle believers. Again I say, mostly science was not created by atheists. Yet atheists try to use science as a weapon against believers. Atheists need to accomplish more in science before you claim scientific superiority.

March 21, 2014 at 11:33 pm |
      • Dalahäst

I mostly agree, but most atheists are not like that. Usually just ones that frequent religious blogs way too much are guilty of arguing that all religion is anti-science.

Neil deGrasse Tyson brings some real reasoning and understanding to the subject:

I'll trust his opinion over any anti-theist claiming religion is on "their side".

March 22, 2014 at 12:10 am |
        • wilburw7

I am really glad you posted that video. I like Neil deGrasse Tyson but had the impression he was somewhat anti-religious. He seems much more reasonable than I thought in that video.

March 22, 2014 at 1:33 am |
        • Dalahäst

He is pretty reasonable.

He is very much against religious fundamentalist trying to dictate what science should teach. So he will speak out against groups that do that. But he also states that most religious people aren't doing that. He really is just a scientist and personally rejects the atheist label. I would call him agnostic.

He has some theories against intelligent design that I don't agree with. But those are just theories, not proven facts he talks about.

March 22, 2014 at 1:37 am |