home
RSS
May 14th, 2014

The secret confessions of Jackie Kennedy

Washington (CNN) - She wrote of being in love, falling out of love, fearing a marriage to a skirt-chaser and then loving that marriage, and believing in God to hold on to the hope of reuniting with her assassinated husband.

Letters that a young Jacqueline Bouvier, and later a married Jackie Kennedy, wrote to a Catholic priest in Ireland offer a rare and revealing glimpse of the private thoughts of one of America's most admired first ladies.

An icon of style and elegance, she came to symbolize an administration nicknamed Camelot that ended with the violent death of President John F. Kennedy in November 1963.

Over a period from when she first met the Rev. Joseph Leonard on a trip to Ireland in 1950 until he died in 1964, she wrote him more than two dozen letters.

She only met him in person once more, in 1955, but the letters being sold at auction in Ireland provide insight into the personal dreams, wishes and fears of a young woman who became one of the world's most popular figures.

FULL STORY
- CNN Religion Editor

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. Reality

From one of the many happy atheists:

The Apostles' Creed 2014: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
    and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (references used are those previously noted and a number of others)

May 14, 2014 at 11:41 pm |
  2. thefinisher1

Why are the atheists on this blog so angry? Are you mad because your atheism is a lie and you smell like sausage?

May 14, 2014 at 8:08 pm |

I like sausage kiddo. ^_^

May 14, 2014 at 8:13 pm |
  3. thefinisher1

Your atheism is a delusion of your own mind. Break away from the delusion and live a happy life children! Awwww! Your atheism won't let you be happy? See why it is a lie?

May 14, 2014 at 7:51 pm |
    • thefinisher1

You must really love me loser atheist extremist. I must of hit a nerve! ^_^

May 14, 2014 at 7:52 pm |
      • thefinisher1

Watch it kiddo, you might want to keep your atheism to yourself. What is that? Your atheism isn't real? I know!

May 14, 2014 at 7:54 pm |
        • thefinisher1

I know you think I am talking to myself but it is one of your own extreme atheists. Atheism is a lie, get over it and move on manchild.

May 14, 2014 at 7:56 pm |
        • Alias

@thefinisher1
          It may be childish of me to enjoy this so much, but I don't really care. When you set up your account you reserved a name all to yourself. When you post under your name it comes up BLUE and it links to a page that you could have created. So, when you post as 'thefinisher1' and we all have a blue link that leads to your page, we know that it is you.
          See how that works? They kind of did that on purpose so honest people could be identified.
          This is obviously news to you, as you have been claiming that someone stole your name. However, we can all see that the link to your page is intact, and you have been responding to your own posts.
          THIS is why I still log on here. I love showing trolls to be liars and idiots. Childish of me? Maybe. Or I just may be an honest man who enjoys seeing an occasional bit of justice on the Internet.

May 14, 2014 at 7:57 pm |

@Alias

Your atheism is keeping you from seeing the truth kiddo. Get a life.

May 14, 2014 at 8:00 pm |
  4. unsername1

"letters being sold at auction", so Churches do sell private information to the highest bidders!!!

May 14, 2014 at 5:42 pm |
  5. new-man

In those days, and at that time, will I cause the BRANCH of righteousness to grow up unto David

The Book of Revelation shows the Messiah Coming and He's going to rule the earth and turn things "upside down" – this reference was used in the context of developing a picture. In order to get the full picture you have a layering of the four colors (4 gospel cyan, magenta, yellow and black, and the photo produced is "upside down")

John records the good news of the Revelation of Messiah as the Almighty Judge.

How long O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
    ...He that sat upon him was called Faithful and True! He doth judge and make war in absolute righteousness.

This is the revealing of Yeshua as the conquering, reigning King. This is the Book of Revelation, this is the fulfillment of the Fall Feasts and this is where we're heading.
    (The Feast of Tabernacles).

Jesus has already fulfilled the spring Feasts: Firstfruits, Unleavened Bread, Passover,
    Pentecost
    The remaining Feasts to be fulfilled: Trumpets; Atonement; Tabernacles

May 14, 2014 at 4:42 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." Diogenes

May 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm |
    • Madtown

Revelation shows the Messiah Coming and He's going to rule the earth
      ----
      Rule the entire earth? Why would that be? God hasn't even seen fit to distribute Revelation, or any other biblical book, to many human beings throughout the world. This being the case, why would God then send the christian messiah back to rule the earth, when God never gave all the earth his rules to begin with?

May 14, 2014 at 10:00 pm |
  6. new-man

In that day shall the BRANCH of the Lord be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the earth shall be excellent and comely for them that are escaped of Israel

John depicts the messiah as the Son of God; the sinless lamb of God.
    The Son of God- only sinless blood qualifies as the substi.tutionary sacrifice.

The subst.tutionary sacrifice had to be a male lamb of the 1st year without blemish, without fault. Blood comes from the male not the mother; Yeshua is the Messiah because His blood must be sinless and unco.ntaminated by the sin of man.
    So we see in John over and over – the lamb of God, the Son of God etc.
    John wrote these things so that we might know that Yeshua is Messiah and we might have life through His name by believing.

May 14, 2014 at 4:24 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." Diogenes

May 14, 2014 at 4:52 pm |
  7. new-man

...Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the Lord:

Luke depicts the Messiah as the Son of man living the Torah – the co.nsti.tution of the Kingdom of Heaven among His fellow man.
    ...having an understanding of these things I have undertaken to docu.ment these things in chronological order from the very beginning...

The gospel of Luke details the Son of man living out the rules of the Kingdom and He does it in a chronological order that is absolutely right on accurate and Mark back him up on every single detail.

The Son of man, and man (whose heart is right with the Almighty can live out the commandments. They are not grievous. The rules and regulations that men make up are extremely grievous/burdensome. The Rules of the LORD are simple!

May 14, 2014 at 4:17 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." Diogenes

May 14, 2014 at 4:53 pm |
      • new-man

I'm happy to see your irony is lost on you ^o^.

May 14, 2014 at 4:58 pm |
  8. new-man

for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.

Mark depicts the Messiah as the Servant.
    The Servant serving those who desire to enter the Kingdom of Heaven (language of servant hood: straightway, forthwith, immediately etc)

We're not given any lineage of the Servant, because it doesn't matter where a servant comes from, doesn't matter who His parents are, doesn't matter His economic status. It just matters if He's doing the work that He's sent to do.
    The Messiah is doing the work of a servant and that is what He asks us to do (immediately, straightway, forthwith)

The gospel of Mark & Luke are going to synchronize together to give us a chronology that we don't see in the other gospels.

May 14, 2014 at 3:54 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." Diogenes

May 14, 2014 at 4:53 pm |
  9. new-man

Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will raise up to David a righteous BRANCH (Sprout), and He will reign as King and do wisely and will execute justice and righteousness in the land.

Matthew depicts the Messiah as the King from heaven. The King lays down the rules for those who desire to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Matthew shows the Messiah's royal lineage thru King David & thru King Solomon, the king's line all the way through His earthly parents Mary.

In the gospel of Matthew, not every thing is in chronological order; for ex. there will be things that happen over a 2-3 week period of time but Matthew doesn't tell them in the order they happen. He's telling them as he is illustrating the Messiah as the King from Heaven, laying down the rules and the path of how it is to enter the kingdom – the gate that very few people will ever look for.

cr: Michael Rood

May 14, 2014 at 3:44 pm |
    • Dyslexic doG

"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." Diogenes

May 14, 2014 at 4:54 pm |
  10. Alias

I woul dlike to extend a friendly "congratulations' to the hacker who managed to post under "thefinisher1" and still have the name link back to the same page as the 'real' thefinisher1.

Unless, of course, it is just the same insane idiot talking to himself ..... but who would believe that with only a link as proof?

May 14, 2014 at 3:38 pm |
    • MidwestKen

I beg to differ. Name-jacking is childish and disruptive to even the low level of comunication found on this blog.
      Please don't start advocating 'report abuse' attacks either.

May 14, 2014 at 3:48 pm |
      • Alias

No one is 'name-jacking'. He is talking to himself.

May 14, 2014 at 5:08 pm |
    • thefinisher1

Lol. One of the angry atheists stole my name because they decided to act like a child. This place is infected with hateful childish atheists

May 14, 2014 at 3:57 pm |
      • thefinisher1

You are not worthy extreme atheist child. Get a life and be happy kid!

May 14, 2014 at 8:05 pm |
    • believerfred

It only takes one HTML connector between the name and your Alias is my Alias

May 14, 2014 at 4:02 pm |
      • Alias

Really?
        So please change your alias to mine, and have your alias link to my (unused) page.
        If you change your alias as I think you are suggesting, the name will be black instead of blue and it will not link to anything.

May 14, 2014 at 5:06 pm |
        • alias

Ok, the account is locked

May 14, 2014 at 5:16 pm |
        • Alias

See my point?
          He is definately an idiot and talking to himself.
          Maybe he will learn fromthis and add to his list of names to post under, but I doubt it.

May 14, 2014 at 5:18 pm |
        • thefinisher1

Lol. Why would I talk to myself and call myself names? An angry atheist stole my name and tried to be me. Atheists should be ashamed to someone that childish on their side.

May 14, 2014 at 5:22 pm |
        • alias

Ok, I am wrong it appears

May 14, 2014 at 5:26 pm |
        • thefinisher1

So you admit you lied? Why did you lie in the first place? If I offended your childish beliefs, it's your fault. Grow up, kiddo.

May 14, 2014 at 6:11 pm |
        • Alias

@thefinisher1

May 14, 2014 at 7:19 pm |
    • doobzz

I'm not in favor of name stealing either, for any reason, but I also keep wondering why anyone responds to thefinisher1 at all. It's like trying to have a conversation with an angry drunk. Useless and pointless. Why do you want to argue with someone who just tells the same lie over and over, never engaging in real discussion? JMO, carry on.

May 14, 2014 at 5:12 pm |
  11. bostontola

I find the auctioning of private letters to a priest, in confidence, to be abhorrent.

These were the proprety of the priest. I would expect that to be respected and kept private. They got from the priest to the public somehow. That is shameful. This whole thing is disgusting.

May 14, 2014 at 2:06 pm |
    • thefinisher1

It attracts you atheists to attack faith. It's like peace said. This is a gossip article.

May 14, 2014 at 2:09 pm |
      • bostontola

My comment didn't attack faith, it attacked the church. Those letters were in their care and they never should have seen the light of day.

Now I'll attack faith. Believing in things that are in conflict with all (a lot) of objective evidence and are supported by no objective evidence is a bad idea. That kind of belief is faith based.

Believing in things unproven but consistent with all the objective evidence is science. It works.

May 14, 2014 at 2:18 pm |
        • thefinisher1

Believing whatever you believe is more insane. Get over it, kiddo. Your atheism is equally insane. You take your atheism to a whole new level.

May 14, 2014 at 2:22 pm |
        • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

fake finisher?

May 14, 2014 at 2:23 pm |
        • thefinisher1

The fake finisher is some nut case atheist who stole my name. I'm not an atheist so...that won't work.

May 14, 2014 at 2:26 pm |
        • bostontola

finisher,
          I take atheism to a new level?

Atheism is the belief that there is no God. Period. 1 belief. No Byzantine set of rules, creed, rituals, or anything else.

How many levels are there of that?

May 14, 2014 at 2:56 pm |

There's closet atheists.
          There's regular atheists who don't act like you.
          Then there's militant atheists take atheism to an extreme.

May 14, 2014 at 3:13 pm |
        • Alias

Militany christians join groups like the WBC or the KKK. They have agendas and use their god as an excuse for radical thoughts and actions.
          So, a militant atheist does not believe in god so hard that they try to reason with theists on blogs like this.
          It just doesn't have the same feel to it.

May 14, 2014 at 3:29 pm |
        • bostontola

Do you consider me a militant atheist?

May 14, 2014 at 3:57 pm |
        • thefinisher1

I consider many of you atheist on this blog messed up militant atheists. You show that your atheism is dangerous and poison to the mind.

May 14, 2014 at 4:03 pm |
        • bostontola

finisher,
          I can see how my comments would be viewed as poison to you. Logical alternatives to your worldview based on scientific evidence would be very threatening. Deep inside your mind you can see that logic and it probably disturbs you deeply. Your shrill reactions are understandable. When under threat, many first go to denial, then they lash out. You fit the model quite well.

But militant? No. I've never hurt anyone.

May 14, 2014 at 5:36 pm |
    • Peaceadvocate2014

Boston,

I agree with you on this. Confessions are between the individual and his/her God.
      An atheist, a believer and others have commonality.

May 14, 2014 at 5:06 pm |
      • otoh2

PA,

These were not churchy, 'sacramental' "confessions". They were merely confidences between friends. Haven't you ever confided certain things to anyone?

May 14, 2014 at 5:17 pm |
        • bostontola

You said it, confided. That confidence should never have been compromised.

May 14, 2014 at 5:26 pm |
      • bostontola

I agree Peace, I bet we agree on more than we realize. On a belief blog, the subject usually amplifies differences.

May 14, 2014 at 5:46 pm |
  12. Peaceadvocate2014

Only relevance to this belief blog is the privacy of confessions. The confession should between the individual and his/her God.

May 14, 2014 at 2:03 pm |
    • otoh2

Not all "confessions" are religiously oriented.

May 14, 2014 at 5:19 pm |
  13. Peaceadvocate2014

This is gossip and should not be in this belief blog, probably why the article is not categorized.

May 14, 2014 at 1:44 pm |
  14. I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

The article below seems more relevant to the belief blog that the confessional letters of Jackie Bouvier / Kennedy / Onassis.

'Unprecedented' global study finds 1 in 4 adults anti-Semitic

"Overall, 26% believed at least six of the stereotypes - a figure representing an estimated 1.1 billion people. ...

In the United States, 9% of respondents believed the majority of the stereotypes.

The highest levels were found in the Palestinian territories at 93% and Iraq at 92%. Yemen, Algeria, Libya and Tunisia were next."

May 14, 2014 at 1:02 pm |
    • neverbeenhappieratheist

in related news, a third of people don't use soap to 'wash' their hands after using the bathroom–and 10 percent don't wash at all!

May 14, 2014 at 1:12 pm |
      • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Only 10%. It sounds like you made that up. I would have thought it was much more than 10%.

May 14, 2014 at 1:23 pm |
        • neverbeenhappieratheist

Only 5% of people wash them long enough to kill the germs...

May 14, 2014 at 1:31 pm |
  15. G to the T

Soooo... did anyone read the article about Jackie O? I'm not seeing anything relevant on here today...

May 14, 2014 at 12:06 pm |
    • neverbeenhappieratheist

"I have to think there is a God - or I have no hope of finding Jack again," she wrote.

At least she is honest about her selfish motives for wanting to believe in God.

May 14, 2014 at 12:26 pm |
      • thefinisher1

At least she's not pretending like you atheists are. Atheism is a dishonest position.

May 14, 2014 at 12:29 pm |
        • G to the T

Odd that, since it was honesty that led to that conclusion (atheism).

Do you really feel people should be punished for honest disbelief?

May 14, 2014 at 12:31 pm |

Still stealing my name? Good! You only hurt your already butthurt atheism. ^_^

May 14, 2014 at 12:34 pm |
        • neverbeenhappieratheist

Of the American priests she knew, she complained they gave her "a whole lot of trite little phrases that make you angry & resentful and farther away from the church than ever."

Ah, sound like anyone you know? Or maybe every self righteous Christian commenter on these blogs?

May 14, 2014 at 12:36 pm |
        • thefinisher1

Agnostics are more honest than you childish angry atheists. The only reason why you're atheist to begin is because nobody is listening to what you want. You cry and whine to people because the evidence isn't in your face. Atheism is basically a childish belief for adults. You act like babies not rational thinking adults.

May 14, 2014 at 12:36 pm |
        • G to the T

"Agnostics are more honest than you childish angry atheists. "

But I am agnostic. I'm an agnostic atheist that practices buddhism. None of these are exclusive...

May 14, 2014 at 12:42 pm |
        • neverbeenhappieratheist

Theist: One who wants to believe in God/gods regardless of the lack of evidence.
          Agnostic: One who can't decide whether the lack of evidence is proof for God or against God.
          Atheist: One who accepts that so far we have no proof of God so finds it intellectually dishonest to invent one just because it can feel good to think you "know" things.

May 14, 2014 at 12:53 pm |
        • thefinisher1

Atheism is the same way kiddo. You do it to make yourself feel "good" inside. It's only a game to most atheists that you like playing with people you don't like.

May 14, 2014 at 12:59 pm |
        • neverbeenhappieratheist

There are those who believe the Loch Ness monster exists because they want to believe it and they have some old photos that look a liitle strange (is that a log or a dino?). There are those who don't believe the Loch Ness monster exists because of the lack of any hard evidence and they discount the flimsy photographic evidence as forgery, fakery or optical illusions. Then there are those who havn't really done much research other than listening to others debate the evidence so they feel they can't draw an informed conclusion, but apparently also don't care enough about the subject to do the research to draw any conclusions.

May 14, 2014 at 1:28 pm |
        • thefinisher1

There's a name for that...pseudo science. You do realize that's a completely different situation? Why do you cry baby atheists always bring up topic like that when it DOESNT apply? There are die hard believers in Bigfoot and such..yet...they can't seem to capture the actual "thing" even with advanced technology. You atheists can't seem to grasp that human inventions and human science CANNOT prove God exists. Our knowledge is very limited (MEANING we can know everything. PLEASE read that before you decide to comment). Even the most smartest people alive only know what they are skilled in and may stink at something else. Maybe you atheists don't want to admit humans can't and you don't want to stop crying like a baby over it. there's 7 billion humans now. Tell me how 7 billion humans are going to believe the same thing? It's impossible. Grow up and stop acting like a spoiled little baby who cries when you don't get your way. Life isn't about getting everything you want every time. Your atheism has made you child.

May 14, 2014 at 1:36 pm |
        • thefinisher1

•meaning we can't know everything.

May 14, 2014 at 1:37 pm |
        • neverbeenhappieratheist

As your constant use of YELLING in text form displays, we are not the ones crying about it, only the theists get upset because they have no way to refute the most basic request from an atheist which is "Please provide one shred of evidence to support the belief in anything supernatural, ever." and sadly all the theist can do is cry and whine about how not only should they not have to carry the burden of proof of their supernatural claims, but it's the atheist that must supply the proof that their unsupported claim of God is false. There is no other argument where this premise would be considered valid, but because of the majority of humans collective brainwshed state they give credence where none is due.

May 14, 2014 at 2:08 pm |
        • thefinisher1

People have admitted for ages that they can't prove God exists. It's atheists like you who cry and whine because you can't accept it. Grow up. Nobody is listening to your demands and never will. Stop thinking you're a king on a throne.

May 14, 2014 at 2:13 pm |
        • neverbeenhappieratheist

I'm not asking anyone to worship me or my ideals, only theists do that when they beg others to worship their God and thereby attempt to validate their weak ideology and bolster their failing faith. It's almost like watching a slow motion train wreck with theists in America and if their train wasn't threatening to crash into our secular society and derail progress no one would give a shlt about you or your gods.

May 14, 2014 at 2:18 pm |
        • thefinisher1

You really think you can change that about humans? You are more delusional than you think! Holy cr@p! You think your atheism is correct. What's the difference? You also think all religions are false....so.....you act more like the people you hate than you give yourself credit for!!!!

May 14, 2014 at 2:21 pm |
        • neverbeenhappieratheist

Not a single religion has provided a shred of evidence to support their claims so why wouldn't I believe them all to be false? Each one claims they are the right one and yet out of thousands and thousands of faiths each has exactly the same amount of evidence and the exact same statistics for answered prayers which is of course the same statistic you get with the placebo effect.

Some religious claim my "Froo Froo" must be saved and the only way to save it is to jump on my right foot while patting my head in a circular pattern to the left. But others claim my Froo Froo can only be saved by jumping on my left foot while patting my head in a square motion to the right. Neither have been able to explain what my Froo Froo is and why I should be so concerned with saving it. I'm fine just sitting here watching people jump around making fools of themselves.

May 14, 2014 at 2:33 pm |
        • thefinisher1

That's life kid. Scientists can't discover everything because there's so much out there to learn. I'd think by now you would understand people CANT. Why is it so hard to admit? Is it really that hard? After all this time you spent asking people for evidence, how many gave it? See, you plug up your eyes and deny its impossible for a human to do. Maybe you should understand it's up to YOU to decide. You are a selfish little brat that wants other people to do the work for you, basically skipping the hardest parts you don't want to face. Even the most strictest of believers have doubts. Doesn't matter if they don't admit it. Everyone else. You aren't king on a throne with extreme power. Nobody is going to care what you want and what doesn't get answered. Your logic is dead. It doesn't even exist in atheism anymore. You expect people to do the most hardest task in the history of mankind and cry like a baby when they can't?! Are you friggin kidding me? Did you or your atheism make you this childish? You expect it to be easy. The thing is...it's not. If you deny all this, it's your problem. Stop taking your problems out on us, stop acting like a spoiled little brat. Nobody cares about your demands.

May 14, 2014 at 2:41 pm |
        • In Santa We Trust

Do you have any evidence for your god?

May 14, 2014 at 2:48 pm |
        • thefinisher1

I guess you have a reading problem because I already answered that question. Man, your atheism must make you stupid. It's your fault if you act like a spoiled little rich kid who thinks life is about what you want and cry and whine when you don't get it. Cry some more butt hurt brats.

May 14, 2014 at 2:52 pm |
        • In Santa We Trust

Actually you didn't but it is pointless discussing anything with someone as dishonest as you.

May 14, 2014 at 3:28 pm |
        • neverbeenhappieratheist

So his answer is "I don't have any evidence and never will, you just have to want to believe it."

I guess the theists are resorting to Tony Robbins advice, if you believe it hard enough it just might come true! I'm pretty sure that only works on internal personal growth though and doesn't actually make a magical genie appear in the universe that answers to "God" or "Jesus".

May 14, 2014 at 3:28 pm |
        • thefinisher1

I basically admitted in front of the world that nobody can prove what they believe yourselves included. There's 7 billion humans now and the number increases daily. Do you really think all of us will believe in one thing or even all become atheists? Nobody is going to listen your demands. You aren't anybody important or special. You are people who whine and demand things from people like a spoiled rich kid does. Logic and reason is dead in today's atheism. All you care about is what you want but you don't realize you're part of your own problem. The reason why you aren't getting evidence is because you are part of the problem. You act like a child. Why should a creator give what you spoiled brats want knowing full well how you act? Realize you are part of the problem and work from there.

May 14, 2014 at 4:13 pm |
        • In Santa We Trust

What seems more logical and reasonable – believing in something for which there is no evidence or not believing in something for which there is no evidence. Evidence for all gods is only in the creation myths; all creation myths are incorrect – so no evidence for the gods of religions. Pre-Big Bang a god is a possibility but it definitely is not any of the gods of the various religions.

May 14, 2014 at 5:15 pm |
        • thefinisher1

So you rather be forced to believe than decide on your own? That's basically the only option you give yourself. What a sad pathetic life you must live.

May 14, 2014 at 6:16 pm |
      • G to the T

LOL... thanks NBHA, at least it was on-topic eh?

May 14, 2014 at 12:29 pm |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Yes, there's no relevant posts here today.

The article was interesting, but I didn't see anything particularly comment worthy.

Camelot fell long ago. Sorting through the ashes seems a bit disrespectful.

May 14, 2014 at 12:42 pm |
      • neverbeenhappieratheist

GW Bush tried to reignite those old American dreams, thats why he invaded a Camel lot...

May 14, 2014 at 12:57 pm |
  16. thefinisher1

Without me all of you atheists will have no one to talk to or lie to each other about your false atheism. Way to go kiddos, you are pathetic.

May 14, 2014 at 11:55 am |
    • thefinisher1

Nice try again butthurt atheist.

May 14, 2014 at 11:56 am |
      • observer

Please talk to professionals and get the help you desperately need.

May 14, 2014 at 11:57 am |
  17. thefinisher1

Now the atheists are stealing my name. Typical, if you can't win your argument with logic, just steal. Atheism is still a lie so get over yourself.

May 14, 2014 at 11:32 am |
    • thefinisher1

You know, you're only damaging atheism more. Good job kiddo! You are doing more damage than I ever could! Why bash your own atheism? Does that make sense in your distorted "logic" brain? I really don't get why your bashing atheism when your an atheist kid! Good job with the damage! Thanks so much atheist manchild!

May 14, 2014 at 11:37 am |
      • thefinisher1

Awwwww! Good try, but now you are not even believable.

May 14, 2014 at 11:38 am |
  18. thefinisher1

The atheists on this blog seem to believe their atheism is going to help them. Wrong! Your atheism is a lie, get over it.

May 14, 2014 at 11:14 am |
    • thefinisher1

I really do have an admirer of my work! You have great dedication!

May 14, 2014 at 11:16 am |
      • neverbeenhappieratheist

did you mean to say you have a mire of work?

mire: a situation or state of difficulty, distress, or embarrassment from which it is hard to extricate oneself.

May 14, 2014 at 11:24 am |
      • thefinisher1

Every atheist on this blog shows true hatred towards people who believe in the truth about atheism. It is a lie baby! Get on with your pathetic life kiddo.

May 14, 2014 at 11:28 am |
        • thefinisher1

Butt hurt atheist is still a butt hurt atheist. What part offended your atheism to the point where you want to steal my name?

May 14, 2014 at 11:33 am |
        • thefinisher1

You are really dedicated to this aren't you? I guess you are really offended that atheism is false. Butthurt atheism is the most painful kind kid.

May 14, 2014 at 11:35 am |
    • Alias

The atheists on this blog know the bible is pure fantasy. Face the facts.

May 14, 2014 at 11:16 am |
      • thefinisher1

Don't reply to my "admirer" if you want the truth about atheism being a lie. ^_^

May 14, 2014 at 11:22 am |
        • thefinisher1

Wow kid. I must have deeply offended your atheism to the point where you want to steal my name! Awwwww! Butthurtism is common among atheists.

May 14, 2014 at 11:28 am |
        • thefinisher1

Congrats kiddo, you have real dedication I must say!

May 14, 2014 at 11:30 am |
  19. new-man

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High [El Elyon] shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty [El Shaddai]. I will say of the LORD [Yahweh], He is my refuge and my fortress: my God [Elohim]; in him will I trust.

May 14, 2014 at 10:57 am |
    • Theo Phileo

""We tend to be most comfortable in our relationship with God by using the name of God that is most familiar to us... But, our God is like a diamond and has many facets. Why not turn the diamond and see more than one window of His light."
      ---------------
      True, our God has many characteristics, but we must not become comfortable with any one of His characteristics and sit in denial of His others, (I'm not saying that you do) or we wind up practicing a form of idolatry that is akin to the atheist who gets up in the morning, looks into the mirror, and begins to sing "How Great Thou Art."

Many people in modern society have made an idol of God by somehow becomming convinced that God is only a "God of love" who would never hate anyone or do anything to hurt us. But they neglect the passages that say "the one who does wickedness, my soul hates."

We can be comfortable with God, if we indeed love Him for all of His attributes, and we rest in Him, having experienced His propitiation that He alone could make for us. (and that is indeed the essence of the scripture that you posted)

If we are not children of God however, we are children of wrath, and we have no place of comfort before an omnipotent God who will one day take those who have shunned Him and grind them to powder.

May 14, 2014 at 11:15 am |
      • new-man

..."practicing a form of idolatry that is akin to the atheist who gets up in the morning, looks into the mirror, and begins to sing "How Great Thou Art."

I thought this was quite funny and also very true... unfortunately, not just for atheists, there are many believers whose sufficiency is in themselves and they would be hard pressed to give God the glory for the great & "seemingly small or insignificant" things He has done.

May 14, 2014 at 11:36 am |
        • Theo Phileo

"they would be hard pressed to give God the glory for the great & "seemingly small or insignificant" things He has done."
          ---------
          I think it has been said before that "you either see everything as a miracle, or you see nothing as a miracle."

May 14, 2014 at 11:39 am |
      • midwest rail

"...akin to the atheist who gets up in the morning, looks into the mirror, and begins to sing "How Great Thou Art." "
        Arrogant, condescending, and hateful assumption.

May 14, 2014 at 11:52 am |
        • Theo Phileo

It has been said that man is incurably religious. If he does not recognize and worship the one true God, he will make gods for himself that reflect his passions in this life, albeit his health, his family, his money, or whatever.

Read Psalm 115. It is not as though men actually create things that they bow down to, although that certainly happens, but it is that there are things in his life that take the place that only God is to fill, and they are always centered around himself, his comfort, his health, his wealth, etc.

It isn't arrogant, condescending, or even an as.sumption. It is truth.

May 14, 2014 at 11:58 am |
        • midwest rail

"... albeit his health, his family, his money, or whatever."
          Yet that was not what was said in your original post, was it, Theo ? The original remains arrogant, condescending, and hateful. Tap dance away.

May 14, 2014 at 12:03 pm |
        • G to the T

"It isn't arrogant, condescending, or even an as.sumption. It is truth."

Nope. I don't worship anything, so I don't see how it could be "truth". OR your definition of "worship" is so broad as to be meaningless.

May 14, 2014 at 12:03 pm |
        • snuffleupagus

Theo, you have done exactly what you posted, created your god. Thanks for the admission.

May 14, 2014 at 12:04 pm |
        • sam stone

"It has been said that man is incurably religious"

By whom?

May 15, 2014 at 5:39 am |
    • G to the T

Ah yes "El", the Uggaritic god that most likely was rolled into/became Yahweh in the Jewish tradition. There's still lot's of evidence of this when you look behind the words used in most english translations.

May 14, 2014 at 11:18 am |
      • neverbeenhappieratheist

they really don't care which God they worship just as long as that Gods message is that they are special and they will get special treatment in the afterlife while their enemies suffer and die. It is a simple message and has been used to recruit morons to financially support these behemoth constructs of human imagination for thousands of years.

May 14, 2014 at 11:30 am |
        • sam stone

Sure, but it is kind of amusing watching folks corn pone, new-man, gopher, rainy fuhrersucker, vic, et al describe god's characteristics

May 15, 2014 at 5:48 am |
    • Theo Phileo

I would suppose that if we are "comfortable" with God, then either we think too lightly of our own sins, or we fail to grasp the holiness of God.

I do not say this to you specifically, New-Man... I speak to those in Christendom who are merely comfortable in their repentance, but do not strive for holiness in their life. Our sanctification is a constant struggle, and a war within and without, that we might be both in the world, but at the same time, totally seperate from it.

May 14, 2014 at 11:25 am |
      • new-man

Theo,
        I think once a person knows their ident.ity in Christ- that it's Christ who dwells in them who is the hope of glory, such a person lives that awareness that you're speaking of (being in the world while not a part of the world because they're actually living/manifesting the kingdom life in the realm they're stationed).

May 14, 2014 at 11:32 am |
        • Theo Phileo

True. I only wish that more in the faith would be bold in proclaiming the hope that is in them. Unfortunately, the noetic effect of sin has blinded many from seeing our God revealed in the natural revelation, and because of their sin, they suppress any knowledge of God that they have through that revelation (Romans 1:18-32). God has chosen to save sinners through the "foolishness" of preaching, but if men won't preach, how will any be saved? The cure is to be bold.

May 14, 2014 at 11:35 am |
        • new-man

"God has chosen to save sinners through the "foolishness" of preaching, but if men won't preach, how will any be saved? The cure is to be bold."

This is true and I commend you and others for coming here to preach the gospel of the kingdom of God (in the midst of scornful, hateful pride) because in reality, the gospel is to be taken to the nations, not the church as it's already in the church.
          You are my second witness this AM as to the need to be bold. Jesus doesn't require things of us that we are incapable of doing, and once we realize it's not about us, and to obey is far greater than to sacrifice, then fear will give way to faith.

May 14, 2014 at 11:44 am |
        • Theo Phileo

Amen, New-Man – Soli Deo Gloria, Coram Deo!

May 14, 2014 at 11:49 am |
        • neverbeenhappieratheist

Elen sila lumenn omentilmo!

May 14, 2014 at 2:13 pm |
        • sam stone

illegitimi non carborundum

May 15, 2014 at 5:51 am |
      • neverbeenhappieratheist

I think the fight fini is having with himself is hilarious. A quality Poeformance as I can't tell them apart.

May 14, 2014 at 11:44 am |

oops, misplaced post...

May 14, 2014 at 11:46 am |
    • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

"But, our God is like a diamond and has many facets."
      ------------------–
      "Facets" or a borrowed pantheon? Or a multiple-personality disorder perhaps?

El Elyon – father of Uranus and Gaia (Phoenician version)
      El Shaddai – one of many Canaanite Gods
      Yahweh – Canaanite God of war
      Elohim – the Canaanite pantheon

Like all religions Judaism is a magpie and collected interesting bits and pieces on the way to evolving their myths.

May 14, 2014 at 12:34 pm |
      • new-man

GOPer,
        you're one of the few people on this board who actually does any research, so I'm quite disappointed to see the above.

The sons of Ham or in other words Noah's grandsons: Cush, Mizraim, Phut and Canaan.
        The land was Yahweh's even before the Canaanites went and inhabited it.
        Who is this Yahweh (YHWH) who revealed Himself to Moses, and first labeled a man called Abram a Hebrew?

Do you know the origins of the word Hebrew? I guarantee you don't.

May 14, 2014 at 12:57 pm |
        • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

No, I don't know the origins of the word Hebrew. Please feel free to share it.

May 14, 2014 at 1:05 pm |
        • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

Google returned this:

from Old French Ebreu, via Latin from late Greek Hebraios, from Aramaic ῾iḇray, based on Hebrew ῾iḇrî understood to mean ‘one from the other side (of the river).’

May 14, 2014 at 1:06 pm |
        • Theo Phileo

Interesting study actually... The first use of the word "Hebrew" is found in Genesis 14:13, and Matthew Henry has this to say: "He is here called Abram the Hebrew, that is, the son and follower of Heber, in whose family the profession of the true religion was kept up in that degenerate age."

May 14, 2014 at 1:37 pm |
      • I'm not a GOPer, nor do I play one on TV

There is no question that Judaic monotheism evolved from pantheism. Before the people who would become Jews revised their myths to be monotheistic, they were pantheistic. This is why there are so many names for God, and why the "You shall have no other gods before me" commandments exists.

This change likely takes place with the "Priestly" editors and the writing of Leviticus.

May 14, 2014 at 1:17 pm |
  20. thefinisher1

Atheism is nothing more than an invention of man. Grow up and get over it atheists. Your atheism holds no position, offers NO proof and it's extremely weak. Grow up already.

May 14, 2014 at 9:33 am |
    • Concert in an Egg

You are cute!

May 14, 2014 at 9:41 am |
    • Concert in an Egg

I can't help it. I wonder when the last time thefinisher1 took a shower or brushed his/her teeth.

May 14, 2014 at 9:53 am |
    • gulliblenomore

Seriously....,we really need to stop answering this idiots posts or he will never go away.

May 14, 2014 at 9:55 am |
      • Concert in an Egg

I agree. It is interesting how much the atheists seem to enjoy responding to the old nasty troll though. I believe the relationship is symbiotic.

May 14, 2014 at 10:02 am |
        • gulliblenomore

I do believe he gets some sort of a high off the negative response. It's pretty clear he has no communication skills or intelligence of any sort. He may not even actually believe what he says

May 14, 2014 at 10:18 am |
        • neverbeenhappieratheist

he's either an atheist who is doing this just to make Christians look bad or he's an honest fundementalist showing just how crazy their position is.

Poe's law, in broader form, is: Without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing.

The core of Poe's law is that a parody of something extreme by nature becomes impossible to differentiate from sincere extremism.

A corollary of Poe's law is the reverse phenomenon:

sincere fundamentalist beliefs can be mistaken for a parody of those beliefs.

May 14, 2014 at 11:05 am |
    • snuffleupagus

hey thefinished1, you are a sad and pathetic individual with a heart full of hate. As a supposed christian, you are a poor excuse for it's supposed love of others. You are also a poor excuse of a human being. I'm sure that your education consited of at least the 4th grade, but not much more, as indicated by your semi-intelligible rants. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxGgnI6kCrs

May 14, 2014 at 9:55 am |
      • thefinisher1

Who says I'm a Christian? You? You know what they say when you A$$ume!

May 14, 2014 at 10:30 am |
        • thefinisher1

Dishonest? Atheism is a dishonest position. Stop throwing stones, kiddo.

May 14, 2014 at 10:38 am |
        • In Santa We Trust

You imply it in your other rants. What are you then?

May 14, 2014 at 10:41 am |
        • gulliblenomore

Santa.....I'm guessing....a worthless azzhat?

May 14, 2014 at 10:44 am |
        • thefinisher1

I know how this game works. So I won't be feeding what you want. This game you atheists like to play is childish and pathetic. Grow up manchild!

May 14, 2014 at 10:44 am |
        • lunchbreaker

I've never understood the logic behind "making an ass out of you AND me". How does myself making an assumption about you imply that you are an ass. Perhaps I have made an ass of myself but yoo had nothing to do with my assumption.

May 14, 2014 at 10:49 am |
        • thefinisher1

Lol! I guess you failed high school. Awww! You don't have any logic, lunch! Your atheism has failed you!

May 14, 2014 at 11:00 am |
        • gulliblenomore

Lunch....that's a good point. If you a-ssume and you're wrong, it only makes an a-as out of you. Conversely, if you are right, it makes an a-ss out of me. But....never both. In this case, finisher is definitely the a-ss, regardless.

May 14, 2014 at 11:20 am |
        • snuffleupagus

I a$$umed nothing dipwad. Since you are nothing more than background noise, I'll ignore you from now on. I would be pleased ,however, if you would continue with your diatribes, they really do make you look like the A$$ you are, and if anything, you are all A$$, since you seem to be writing from it. Enjoy yourself, I'm sure that you get your jollies that way as well. Say "Hi" to your wife, Mary Fist.

May 14, 2014 at 11:40 am |
        • thefinisher1

Your atheism is a delusion of your own mind. Break away from the delusion and live a happy life!

May 14, 2014 at 11:54 am |
    • In Santa We Trust

Taking a comment about theism and adapting it for atheism makes no sense.
      finisher – does that refer to your ambition to finish high school one day?

May 14, 2014 at 10:50 am |
      • thefinisher1

Atheism is pathetic. Grow up.

May 14, 2014 at 10:52 am |